Forum Feature Discussion: Post Editing

There is a small window for editing posts here. I’ve received a decent amount of feedback requesting an indefinite period for editing versus the limited time frame we currently offer. I’m curious what your personal preference is and why. Please note that another website having that feature is not relevant. I’m more looking for specific examples of when you would utilize it, and why it is or isn’t important.

Now, hit me with your best shot!

When making certain types of threads, it’s nice to be able to change the first post. For example, you’d probably wish to make edits to threads about forum rules, right?

I also hate seeing that I made a spelling or grammar mistake and be unable to fix it.

1)Being able to change the OP to add updates

2)Being able to fix spelling errors that weren’t spotted until much later.

3)Random pranks on people

> 1)Being able to change the OP to add updates
>
> 2)Being able to fix spelling errors that weren’t spotted until much later.
>
> 3)Random pranks on people

I wholeheartedly agree with FoD. If I could, I would just update my initial post for the panorama thread so I don’t feel like I’m bumping the thread every time I post a new picture.

Also, I sometimes can’t redo a post fast enough and while I am typing it up, my time to edit expires. I say at least take away the time limit once “edit” is clicked.

> > 1)Being able to change the OP to add updates
> >
> > 2)Being able to fix spelling errors that weren’t spotted until much later.
> >
> > 3)Random pranks on people
>
> I wholeheartedly agree with FoD. If I could, I would just update my initial post for the panorama thread so I don’t feel like I’m bumping the thread every time I post a new picture.
>
> Also, I sometimes can’t redo a post fast enough and while I am typing it up, my time to edit expires. I say at least take away the time limit once “edit” is clicked.

Even after uploading my custom avatar people still call me FoD…

It’s cause FoD is more fun. Sounds like you got street cred. :stuck_out_tongue:

My best example is the Legendary Spartan list. Imagine if there was one for Reach, Halo 3, Halo 2, Halo Wars, future games, etc. The mod/admin team has better things to do than add dozens/hundreds of people to individual lists.

> My best example is the Legendary Spartan list. Imagine if there was one for Reach, Halo 3, Halo 2, Halo Wars, future games, etc. The mod/admin team has better things to do than add dozens/hundreds of people to individual lists.

What legendary spartan list?

You already know this of course but I cite my “Perfect Halo Sequel” thread as the primary example. I’m SURE you didn’t enjoy going back and editing it for me.

Also

To correct mistakes.

To update without spamming.

There’s really no reason not to have indefinite editing except people might just keep editing an OP to mess with people, but that rarely happens, and even when it does people catch on quickly.

Generally, threads that are associated with creating an experience for other forum members, list threads like the Legendary Spartan thread, discussions where updating the OP as new thoughts come to light, alternate reality games, etc. Adding the ability to always be able to edit a thread efficently prolongs the life of that thread. And of course, stuff like grammar editing, etc. It would also be a lot easier to organize playnights, etc.

Very persuasive arguments. And wish granted. For now, anyway!

Can you see our “edit” notes?

Yes.

PS: I think marsupials are cute, too.

> Yes.
>
> PS: I think marsupials are cute, too.

HAHAHA! Sweet. I’m going to keep putting silly things in that box then. LOL

Why can’t we just leave it blank, or have it autofill as a time-stamp?