Formal Compliant about code

I have yet to receive my code Played onlive since first day halo 4 came out I have many emails in my email from rewards.xbox I have been level 70 since about thanksgiving capped every day for over a week and it appears that 343 doesnt even care about thier customers. I would like to know where I can either get my code OR if I can sell my game back to 343 as well as get a refund for the maps

It’s 2:17am here in Minnesota. Still no code for me, either

there are thousands still without this code I really dont see them caring about thier customers :confused:

This promotion is provided by Microsoft, as stated here, not by 343.

no weapon balancing, no replies to the customers, not good news about whatwe really want, and no god -Yoink!- codes!

if i don´t get my code i´ll ask for a refund.

Seriously? You haven’t gotten your code yet, even though people are just now getting them, and there are some issues… and yet that means that 343 doesn’t care about their customers, and also that you’d consider selling the game and maps back to them? Sounds like you don’t care about Halo, either.

All of you people threatening to get rid of the game because of things like you haven’t gotten your code yet but others did already, you don’t get enough cool stuff from unlocking whatever, you don’t get a super special armor at SR-130, if they don’t fix this or that immediately, Bungie wouldn’t have “insert complaint here,” or that there’s absolutely NO reason to play Matchmaking because you’re at 70 and don’t have your code yet… how can you possibly say you like Halo? You’re all Yoinking! on it and its developers, threatening them unless they do what YOU say RIGHT NOW. When you hit SR-130, are you going to come back and -Yoink- about how -Yoink- the game is because you can’t level up anymore? Who cares?

Anyways, just relax, you’ll get your code. Make a post in this forum (Halo 4) saying who you are on XBL, what email address you want the code to go to, and what your situation is, and they will take care of it. If you want to speed the process up, call 800-469-9269 after you make the post, and ask them to expedite it.

rather it be by Microsoft or 343 they are still not scoring any points 343 could be on thier site at least answering or trying to help us but are they? I didnt think so. Back when Bungie was around THEY ALWAYS RESPONDED to thier customers thats alot of the reason they created life long fans. Bungie may be gone but they will live forever

you just stated the point, well at least me, is complaining, NO CARE for the customers.

If 343i would at least post a thread apologizing for the late code problem I would still respect them, but the fact that

  1. they have yet to adress the issue

  2. actually implement the codes instead of just releasing an update unlocking all the specs

  3. people who used the xbox live trial or trials during from release date till now will most likely not recieve a code

I honestly am considering returning the game for a refund because this lack of attention is rather irritating

shadow hado I must say whats the point in playing matchmaking when you waste all the exp and everyone else has an advantage over you IE load outs Its not just about that IF YOU PROMISE IT YOU DELIVER IT. Its about Ethics. You tell people “this WILL happen” and it not happening doesnt create people wanting to stick around it creates an uprising

Holy -Yoinking!- -Yoink-, you people are the most impatient bunch of little brats on the internet.

JUST WAIT. If you dont get your code before December 2nd, THEN you can complain all you want.

This post has been edited by a moderator. Please refrain from making non-constructive posts.

*Original post. Click at your own discretion.

343 is sucking right now and if u call microsoft they dont know what to tell you!!!343 went about this the wrong way and i agree they should post something or say something not hide like a bunch of -Yoinks!- and i dont want some asswhole to say i dont like halo iv played the damn game since halo came out on the original xbox

you ain´t on our place so I would be deeply appreciative if you would refrain from speaking. please.

> Holy -Yoinking!- Yoink!, you people are the most impatient bunch of little brats on the internet.
>
> JUST WAIT. If you dont get your code before December 2nd, THEN you can complain all you want.

Really? because I am not going to stand for being lied to and treated as if I dont matter? pull your head outta your rear and release that THIS IS A CUSTOMER SERVICE ISSUE and as for calling me a “little brat” how old do you think I am ?

> you ain´t on our place so refrain from speaking from this point forward as I no longer have a desire to listen. It would be greatly appreciated please.

You refering to me?

Guys calm down the real issue is the lack of service from 343i. Yes this a MS run thing but if we settle at that they’re just gonna point fingers at eachother, this is 343i’s game now and they NEED to respond to each issue that has many people complaining. a simple, “Hey lovely Halo fans, sorry for the delay on Specs codes, but be patient and you should have your codes shortly before day ends.”

a simple consult would suffice

> This promotion is provided by Microsoft, as stated here, not by 343.

I called Xbox Games Support a while ago. They’re referring people to 343i. 343i is referring people here.

> Guys calm down the real issue is the lack of service from 343i. Yes this a MS run thing but if we settle at that they’re just gonna point fingers at eachother, this is 343i’s game now and they NEED to respond to each issue that has many people complaining. a simple, “Hey lovely Halo fans, sorry for the delay on Specs codes, but be patient and you should have your codes shortly before day ends.”
>
> a simple consult would suffice

That was mostly my point And they are giving people the run around because they dont know what else to do

> Really? because I am not going to stand for being lied to and treated as if I dont matter? pull your head outta your rear and release that THIS IS A CUSTOMER SERVICE ISSUE

DECEMBER 1ST.

DECEMBER -Yoinking!- 1ST.

YOU ARE SCHEDULED TO RECEIVE IT TODAY. NOBODY SAID IT WOULD BE 12:00 AM ON THE DOT.

If it’s Dec. 2nd and you still dont have the code, THAT is when its a customer service issue.

> and as for calling me a “little brat” how old do you think I am ?

I quite frankly dont give a -Yoink- how old you are, because you’re acting like a spoiled brat right now.

That’s funny…since when do the people of the internet care if someone doesn’t “desire to listen” to what they have to say?