Forgy Forge

All jokes aside, has anyone found reliable strategies to beat Forge, other than playing Forge? Like everyone else on these forums, I’ve been running into an unholy amount of Forge recently… even triple Forge, which is awful. I was wondering how others have been dealing with him.

Here’s what I’ve had some succes with.

Arbiter: Mass enforcers. If you’re able to dodge the first Anvil Round or suffer minimal losses, the Enforcers can work the Hog; Stasis Grenade, surround, damage, repeat. After it’s dead, Teleport to the base, destroy the armoury, GG. I’ve found this really only works against one Hog that doesn’t have support. If there’s two Forge players or the Hog is supported by JR’s it gets trickier.

Colony: Hunter Captan coupled with Skitterer Engineers. The Captain can melt the Hog, and the Engineers provide support via shields and healing, the Skitterers attached to them provide additional DPS and provide enough health to survive the Anvil Round. Works better in teams, as the Captain can’t keep up with the Hog.

Serina: Fridge + Frost Ravens + Ice Barrier. Essentially, keep the Hog in one place to kill it. Each component of this is used to slow the Hog, and eventually freeze it. A handful of Frost Ravens can usually freeze the Hog fast enough that it won’t be able to get away and the Ice Barriers helps with this. But watch out for Anvil Round, it wrecks Frost Ravens.

Decimus: Warlord + Choppers. Same strategy that I would do against Jerome in his glory days; Hammer Pull with the Warlord, Stun with the Warlord, then Vortex (if necessary). Choppers are there for extra DPS and to ram the Hog if it tries to flee. Be careful not to ram all Choppers at once, they’ll get wrecked by Anvil Round if grouped up. A similar strategy can also be done with Atriox using the Chosen, but I find Decimus works much better.

That’s all I got. Please share your strategies or opinions!

Thnaks for reading :).

Hate to break it to you but I’ve tried pretty much all of those, none of them work- some can hold him early game but mid game the nuke just decimates your army as it gets a lot stringer with the tech 2 and 3 upgrades plus grizzlies start popping out.

> 2533274916206345;2:
> Hate to break it to you but I’ve tried pretty much all of those, none of them work- some can hold him early game but mid game the nuke just decimates your army as it gets a lot stringer with the tech 2 and 3 upgrades plus grizzlies start popping out.

I would have to disagree, my dude. I will admit, these are A LOT easier said than done, but they are all plausible. Hell, I beat a Forge with Anders the other day. I have noticed that a lot of Forge players currently aren’t that skilled as players… they rely solely on abusing an unbalanced leader and posses poor game knowledge, micro, and situational awareness. Now, I am not saying every Forge player is a weak player; there are plenty that are excellent players that out-skill me in every department.

There is no denying that Forge is unbalanced, but he is beatable. I refuse to just roll over and admit defeat, you feel me? Plus, nothing makes me feel better than flat out beating a player abusing Forge, lol. Plus, my micro management skills have drastically improved this season form attempting to dodge those damn Anvil Rounds.

Thank you for your comment!

> 2533274869891714;3:
> > 2533274916206345;2:
> > Hate to break it to you but I’ve tried pretty much all of those, none of them work- some can hold him early game but mid game the nuke just decimates your army as it gets a lot stringer with the tech 2 and 3 upgrades plus grizzlies start popping out.
>
> I would have to disagree, my dude. I will admit, these are A LOT easier said than done, but they are all plausible. Hell, I beat a Forge with Anders the other day. I have noticed that a lot of Forge players currently aren’t that skilled as players… they rely solely on abusing an unbalanced leader and posses poor game knowledge, micro, and situational awareness. Now, I am not saying every Forge player is a weak player; there are plenty that are excellent players that out-skill me in every department.
>
> There is no denying that Forge is unbalanced, but he is beatable. I refuse to just roll over and admit defeat, you feel me? Plus, nothing makes me feel better than flat out beating a player abusing Forge, lol. Plus, my micro management skills have drastically improved this season form attempting to dodge those damn Anvil Rounds.
>
> Thank you for your comment!

Oh definitely, there are many forges that are beatable, but if you run into a high level forge who knows exactly what they are doing and there isnt a large skill gap then quite simply you wont win unless they majorly slip up, thats why i say he’s uncounterable.

The only way to win is not to play.

> 2533274916206345;4:
> > 2533274869891714;3:
> > > 2533274916206345;2:
> > > Hate to break it to you but I’ve tried pretty much all of those, none of them work- some can hold him early game but mid game the nuke just decimates your army as it gets a lot stringer with the tech 2 and 3 upgrades plus grizzlies start popping out.
> >
> > I would have to disagree, my dude. I will admit, these are A LOT easier said than done, but they are all plausible. Hell, I beat a Forge with Anders the other day. I have noticed that a lot of Forge players currently aren’t that skilled as players… they rely solely on abusing an unbalanced leader and posses poor game knowledge, micro, and situational awareness. Now, I am not saying every Forge player is a weak player; there are plenty that are excellent players that out-skill me in every department.
> >
> > There is no denying that Forge is unbalanced, but he is beatable. I refuse to just roll over and admit defeat, you feel me? Plus, nothing makes me feel better than flat out beating a player abusing Forge, lol. Plus, my micro management skills have drastically improved this season form attempting to dodge those damn Anvil Rounds.
> >
> > Thank you for your comment!
>
> Oh definitely, there are many forges that are beatable, but if you run into a high level forge who knows exactly what they are doing and there isnt a large skill gap then quite simply you wont win unless they majorly slip up, thats why i say he’s uncounterable.

If I run into a higher level anything, who knows what they’re doing, I simply won’t win. I’m mediocre, at best.

But nonetheless, you’re right. At the top levels, Forge seems to beat just about everything. I’m not at that level, so I can’t really comment on that.

Great post. I love seeing how good players have overcome a difficult situation. I’m like you man, even thought he’s op, I refuse to roll over and take it. My partners and I have been trying a mix of Arby/Anders. Douglas+sentinels+enforcers. They do good work on a Forge hog, but two Forge is very difficult to deal with even when they are bad.

> 2533274808003246;7:
> Great post. I love seeing how good players have overcome a difficult situation. I’m like you man, even thought he’s op, I refuse to roll over and take it. My partners and I have been trying a mix of Arby/Anders. Douglas+sentinels+enforcers. They do good work on a Forge hog, but two Forge is very difficult to deal with even when they are bad.

Thanks, dude, I really appreciate that!

I am far from being a good player, but I try my best, lol. And that is exactly it, I would much rather try to overcome the challenge than just give in… it’s an up-hill battle mostly, but it’s possible to overcome the challenge. And, man, does it ever feel good beating those pesky Forge players.

Respect for trying to find off-meta strategies to beat the mighty Forge. I could certainly see that combo working, but you’re right, two (or even three) Forge Hogs are stupid difficult to beat.

Thanks for the comment :).

> 2533274818737568;5:
> The only way to win is not to play.

Personally, I wouldn’t classify that as win. I enjoy this game far too much to stop playing… though, this season has been a little bland, I will admit.

I’ve just started quitting if i get wiped by an anvil round

Johnson can beat Forge relatively easy if the Forge player invests heavily into the Forge hog. They buffed the bunker so you can drop a bunker every 90 seconds or less with only 2 pop.

Just use bunkers to hold down the power nodes. The Forge hog can’t do anything to them, nor can the Forge hog capture nodes. Any marines not inside the bunker, just spread apart so the anvil round only hits 1-2 at the most.

Haven’t faced any real top players with it but I have taken down quite a few champion level Forge players using the Johnson bunker strat.

> 2533274857695300;10:
> I’ve just started quitting if i get wiped by an anvil round

Fair enough, dude. I have had a couple rage quits after losing 40+ population to a single Anvil Round, lol.

> 2641843709990435;11:
> Johnson can beat Forge relatively easy if the Forge player invests heavily into the Forge hog. They buffed the bunker so you can drop a bunker every 90 seconds or less with only 2 pop.
>
> Just use bunkers to hold down the power nodes. The Forge hog can’t do anything to them, nor can the Forge hog capture nodes. Any marines not inside the bunker, just spread apart so the anvil round only hits 1-2 at the most.
>
> Haven’t faced any real top players with it but I have taken down quite a few champion level Forge players using the Johnson bunker strat.

I can certainly see this being effective. The main problem I see, is that you’re only able to contest certain areas of the map (hooks, high ground, etc). While the Forge is able to move around the entire map with his mobile Warhead-Launcher.

I also don’t know how effective it would be if the Hog was supported by JR’s, or if there were multiple Forge players… but I guess that could be said about any build against him.

I’m gonna try this out. Thank you for the comment :).

> 2641843709990435;11:
> Johnson can beat Forge relatively easy if the Forge player invests heavily into the Forge hog. They buffed the bunker so you can drop a bunker every 90 seconds or less with only 2 pop.
>
> Just use bunkers to hold down the power nodes. The Forge hog can’t do anything to them, nor can the Forge hog capture nodes. Any marines not inside the bunker, just spread apart so the anvil round only hits 1-2 at the most.
>
> Haven’t faced any real top players with it but I have taken down quite a few champion level Forge players using the Johnson bunker strat.

This is cool I’m going to have to try this. I want Johnson to be good so bad!

> 2533274869891714;6:
> > 2533274916206345;4:
> > > 2533274869891714;3:
> > > > 2533274916206345;2:
> > > > Hate to break it to you but I’ve tried pretty much all of those, none of them work- some can hold him early game but mid game the nuke just decimates your army as it gets a lot stringer with the tech 2 and 3 upgrades plus grizzlies start popping out.
> > >
> > > I would have to disagree, my dude. I will admit, these are A LOT easier said than done, but they are all plausible. Hell, I beat a Forge with Anders the other day. I have noticed that a lot of Forge players currently aren’t that skilled as players… they rely solely on abusing an unbalanced leader and posses poor game knowledge, micro, and situational awareness. Now, I am not saying every Forge player is a weak player; there are plenty that are excellent players that out-skill me in every department.
> > >
> > > There is no denying that Forge is unbalanced, but he is beatable. I refuse to just roll over and admit defeat, you feel me? Plus, nothing makes me feel better than flat out beating a player abusing Forge, lol. Plus, my micro management skills have drastically improved this season form attempting to dodge those damn Anvil Rounds.
> > >
> > > Thank you for your comment!
> >
> > Oh definitely, there are many forges that are beatable, but if you run into a high level forge who knows exactly what they are doing and there isnt a large skill gap then quite simply you wont win unless they majorly slip up, thats why i say he’s uncounterable.
>
> If I run into a higher level anything, who knows what they’re doing, I simply won’t win. I’m mediocre, at best.
>
> But nonetheless, you’re right. At the top levels, Forge seems to beat just about everything. I’m not at that level, so I can’t really comment on that.

What Marmy is trying to say is, if the forge player was the same skill level as you (i.e micro skill, macro skill etc) then you cant win unless they slip up. E.g, with you hunter captain idea, all forge needs to do is fire anvil at engineers, clean them up with marines, then focus your captain. Since you skits+engi+captain opener cost so much compared to the forge counter to it, they will very likely hit your base after this. Not just about playing a person higher skill than you (regardless of leader theyll win due to skill level most likely).

Adding snipers or marines to the forge hog combo (having a full opener of your own, saying it can beat a forge hog on its own aint really making sense unless the forge has units too). That’s your problem. All your ideas rely on the hog being on its own, which will only happen if you are playing someone, who, as you said, is crutching on the broken leader. Not trying to bring you down or anything, but there is good reason many havent bothered to return during this meta, as its an uphill battle. In short, it requires a lot of skill and tactics to beat leaders whose “OP” combos require little or lesser skill to pull off (with the exception of Serina base freeze exploit, you cant beat that).

> 2533274875084332;15:
> > 2533274869891714;6:
> > > 2533274916206345;4:
> > > > 2533274869891714;3:
> > > > > 2533274916206345;2:
> > > > > Hate to break it to you but I’ve tried pretty much all of those, none of them work- some can hold him early game but mid game the nuke just decimates your army as it gets a lot stringer with the tech 2 and 3 upgrades plus grizzlies start popping out.
> > > >
> > > > I would have to disagree, my dude. I will admit, these are A LOT easier said than done, but they are all plausible. Hell, I beat a Forge with Anders the other day. I have noticed that a lot of Forge players currently aren’t that skilled as players… they rely solely on abusing an unbalanced leader and posses poor game knowledge, micro, and situational awareness. Now, I am not saying every Forge player is a weak player; there are plenty that are excellent players that out-skill me in every department.
> > > >
> > > > There is no denying that Forge is unbalanced, but he is beatable. I refuse to just roll over and admit defeat, you feel me? Plus, nothing makes me feel better than flat out beating a player abusing Forge, lol. Plus, my micro management skills have drastically improved this season form attempting to dodge those damn Anvil Rounds.
> > > >
> > > > Thank you for your comment!
> > >
> > > Oh definitely, there are many forges that are beatable, but if you run into a high level forge who knows exactly what they are doing and there isnt a large skill gap then quite simply you wont win unless they majorly slip up, thats why i say he’s uncounterable.
> >
> > If I run into a higher level anything, who knows what they’re doing, I simply won’t win. I’m mediocre, at best.
> >
> > But nonetheless, you’re right. At the top levels, Forge seems to beat just about everything. I’m not at that level, so I can’t really comment on that.
>
> What Marmy is trying to say is, if the forge player was the same skill level as you (i.e micro skill, macro skill etc) then you cant win unless they slip up. E.g, with you hunter captain idea, all forge needs to do is fire anvil at engineers, clean them up with marines, then focus your captain. Since you skits+engi+captain opener cost so much compared to the forge counter to it, they will very likely hit your base after this. Not just about playing a person higher skill than you (regardless of leader theyll win due to skill level most likely).
>
> Adding snipers or marines to the forge hog combo (having a full opener of your own, saying it can beat a forge hog on its own aint really making sense unless the forge has units too). That’s your problem. All your ideas rely on the hog being on its own, which will only happen if you are playing someone, who, as you said, is crutching on the broken leader. Not trying to bring you down or anything, but there is good reason many havent bothered to return during this meta, as its an uphill battle. In short, it requires a lot of skill and tactics to beat leaders whose “OP” combos require little or lesser skill to pull off (with the exception of Serina base freeze exploit, you cant beat that).

Yikes, such serious, my dude. I know what he is trying to say, thank you for running me through it again; I now possess a much more thorough understanding of what he originally said. Your candor is appreciated.

But, I would have to disagree with you. Let’s get to it.

Your points:

Up first; Me VS. a player of my skill using Forge. In no way, shape, or form and I going to 100% lose a game against an equally skilled opponent solely because they are using Forge. I have beaten players of my skill (even a few above it) that have been using Forge, while I was using other leaders. Sure, one could argue that they made a mistake, or I got lucky, but the fact remains that I won. As I have stated before, it’s an uphill battle going toe-to-toe with forge, but it’s possible… even if they are the skill level that I am.

Coming in second; the analysis of my Colony build. Now, these builds I put Forth are merely suggestions; a skeletal build, if you will. There are many factors that tie into these, such as; what have I scouted, who has node control, who gathered more map resources, etc, etc. So, I retort to you given discussion. If and when I scouted, it is likely I would see my opponent’s Marine force, and thus, I would opt to get a few Choppers, in place of Engineers. All these builds are subject to change in any given game; one must be able to adapt to a situation to find success in this game. All in all, you are correct, that specific build would most likely not work against the Hog + Marines, but again, I would opt out of it if I saw too many Marines. Additionally, there are other factors at play; who has high ground, who gets caught off guard, if my opponent flops on the Anvil Round, am I able to micro well enough to avoid the Anvil Round, etc. There is a lot to consider, not just; this beats that 100% of the time.

Third time’s the charm; Forge having a force of his own. This ties into my above banter. I am always going to scout, and scout frequently. I usually am able to see what is coming, and prepare accordingly.

Fourth point; Obviously these builds are centralized around defeating the Hog. It is the biggest threat in the early game. It has the highest DPS, most HP, and a nuke in its back pocket. Of course I am going to focus my plan around it; I have to, if I want to stand a chance, dawg. Scouting, appropriate actions, and game knowledge should allow me to deal with anything else that comes my way.

Bonus round; as for people not returning. If one wishes to not play this season, that is entirely on them, and I can respect that decision. But I myself, would rather welcome the challenge and try my best to beat it. What’s that saying, “the strongest steal is forged in the hottest fires”? Or something like that. This season has drastically made me a better player due to me having to play at my best to compete with Forge.

I appreciate your points, but I again, still have to disagree. My only problem is that I refuse to simply give up.

Thank you for your comment :).

> 2533274869891714;12:
> > 2533274857695300;10:
> > I’ve just started quitting if i get wiped by an anvil round
>
> Fair enough, dude. I have had a couple rage quits after losing 40+ population to a single Anvil Round, lol.

I mean I’ve beaten it plenty of times against -Yoink- players that don’t know how to do anything besides press Y, but it’s a battle I’m getting tired of fighting after two weeks of this haha. Losing 10+ marine squads in a split second before the 5 minute mark is enough for me to just ragequit now.

Best strategy I’ve come up with is chaining stuns through drops and unit abilities. Your Decimus strat is also the most effective I’ve found out as well, but that’s only possible if your opponent lets you get close enough for the hammer pull and there’s only one forgehog. ODST drop and grenade throw is also semi-effective in my experience, but only if you have enough marines to overcome the initial anvil round.

I often screw around with Enforcers to keep the Forgehog away from my base and speed up the third leader point, then I get Phantoms with Hunters and Rangers to send that little bugger to hell. Then I attack his base asap, since I was screwing with Enforcers, he likely got vehicles and A-I, so if I hit him quick I can destroy his bases before he can spam Wolves and other Forgehog.

like you said hunter captain can beat forgehog i believe this is best way to counter forge early game for mid i guess throw in some hunters and reavers in case he has nightingales. late game scarab with skiterers attached some banshees [all global upgrades and plasma torpedo] and engineers seems to work good for his army and the hog.

> 2533274847730244;18:
> I often screw around with Enforcers to keep the Forgehog away from my base and speed up the third leader point, then I get Phantoms with Hunters and Rangers to send that little bugger to hell. Then I attack his base asap, since I was screwing with Enforcers, he likely got vehicles and A-I, so if I hit him quick I can destroy his bases before he can spam Wolves and other Forgehog.

Interesting strategy, I myself have never found Phantoms all that useful, plus I usually take the enforcer drop over Phantoms. But nonetheless, I’m glad to here you’ve found seccess this way!

Thanks for your comment :).