Forge World suggestion: Forge Desert

Off Topic: Please ignore my username, it’s for satirical purposes while playing LIVE

Forge Desert… The name gives a good enough description. An arid terrain, big and good for forging. But what about the map itself? What would it look like? What spots would it hold, what cool opportunities would it have that the old Forge World didn’t? Well, it’s a whole new terrain - new pieces, new locations, a new feel. People might be more justified to build ancient ruins with the crumbling stone pieces, or maybe they’ll feel like remaking a section of The Ark from Halo 3 for Invasion.

Let’s get started on the locations it’d hold. For starters, check out this overhead view that I cooked up a couple months back. You might have seen it in a thread that found the image too. Click here for a version of it without the red lines and titles.

1. Plateau
    A nice little plateau, overlooking the whole map. It has a couple cozy little paths winding up the cliffs, allowing on-foot access, maybe a bigger one for vehicles. The main attraction of the Plateau is that the base terrain is that of Standoff’s - the little bases would probably be rocky quarries cut out, leaving it up to you to put the pieces in. Some people loved the map, some despised it. Now, so the whole map isn’t a load of bland sand and rock, each area would have a slightly unique biome to it - how about a Western desert? I agree, western deserts are the most boring type - shrubs, on top of shrubs, with a little dust there… Oh boy. But it still fits Standoffs theme a little, even with the cliffside.

2.Highlands
A rocky terrain, a maze of gullies and sharp, thrusting stone pillars. The Highlands would have the base terrain of Burial Mounds. Some of the bigger pieces would be formed of wind-carved stone, such as the turret base. The rest would be up to you to place down, forging them of either rocks or ancient stone walls. The terrain would mostly look like this.

3.Dunes
Jesus Christ, more sand! Some gently rolling sand dunes make up this terrain. Nothing too exiting. A small sandy wind picks up now and then, blowing particles off of dunes for an appealing aesthetic effect. Pretty much looks like this, minus the sunbathing person in the corner. It’d be good for mysterious ruins that the players stumbled upon.

4.Ruins
Ruins. Sounds mysterious already! Nothing like some weird–Yoink- structures that serve no apparent purpose. Rolling dunes accompany a flat stone surface, which is eventually swallowed up by even more damn sand. It’s perfect for those arena-style maps, which Sandbox was perfect for - that’s right, this area is a Sandbox remake. Getting killed by a Warthog circling around in the dunes? Sounds like fun! The stone ground could also be replaced with a dry lake bed.

5.Mesa
Not much to say about this one. A bigger version of Forge World’s pillar, pretty much. Around the size of Foundation, although it is not the recommended setting to make it. The mesa would stand tall (more so than in the picture), overlooking the surrounding area.

6.Mountains
The mountainous area would turn the Highlands into an even more wild and rocky terrain, gravel and stone overtaking sand. It’d look like this if you viewed it from the desert - it’s more like some cliffs more than mountains, really.

7.Chasm
A massive, mysterious chasm goes way down into the earth. Spooky. This one’s pretty simple too - mix a sinkhole with a stripmine, and bam! You’ve got a cool looking, bottomless chasm. It’s sort of like a replacement Skybox from Sandbox! Wether you want a flying platform or a map teetering on the edge, you can do whatever you please.

8.Pass
The Mountains and Highlands twist together into a rocky hell that looks like this. The ground is uneven and rocky, and the rocks are steep and sharp.

9.Desert/Sandtrap
A desert. Looks like this. Sorta sandy, sorta filled with huge dunes. The dunes here are even more gentle than in the Dunes, and are far between - it’s flatter, but the ground is rolling and hilly. As you go towards the southeast corner of the map, it starts to slope downward, before suddenly degrading into Sandtrap’s iconic bowl shape, minus the huge ruins, for you to place later. Kick–Yoink- Frigate, not included.

Summary:-Sandy-Includes remakes of Standoff, Sandbox, Sandtrap, Burial Mounds

I’ll update later. If you’re wondering why the descriptions started getting crappy, I am le tired, which is why I’m stopping.

There’s already some followers at Bungie.net, you can see the threads here:
Support Thread (22 Pages, 525+ Comments)
Original Descriptive Thread (2 Pages, 30+ comments) - Made Yesterday
I’m thinking of making a fan base on B.Net to really count how many supporters it has.

Sorry for the bump

I read all of the post and I must say this is really well thought out map. It’s actually doable if they can minimize everything to fit into a map file. I hope they are already making something like this if they aren’t I think it would be very good for the future. I approve of this idea.

Absolutly awesome.

With this tread I just remember of Burial Mounds :slight_smile:

When we see that we have a lot of screen lag with Forge World, I don’t know if we will have another big map like that. Just hope we cann had it without the screen lag. And with different elements to forge (color, or just like it was in Sandbox)

Absolutely brilliant! I love it

I think this would be great.

Personally I think I would prefer Arctic or Covenant aesthetics, but after those I think Sand would be the best. And by Covenant, I mean a home-planet with some swampy areas, optional fog, various regions and of course some sort of purple covenant base.

A desert would probably have more map-making potential than a Covenant planet though, I just think the aesthetics would be cool for it.

Thanks for the support, guys! :slight_smile: I hope 343 sees this and takes a liking to it…

oh…oh my god…u sir are a geniussss

Thanks :slight_smile: It’d be great if you guys helped support/bump the thread!

If you can fit Headlong in there somewhere, I’m sold!

takes hat off to some trolls for including Burial Mounds though

lol this the 117th thread on this forum

You have obviously put some serious thought into this and I applaud that. It is a great idea and I would probably play on that more than the original forge world. I can’t even explain how great that would be if that were to happen. I love the use of pictures and layouts. bravo

Just bumping this a little, I guess. I wish this could be a map!

DUDE, U REALLY THOUGHT THIS OUT!!! I agree there aren’t alot of good maps like sandtrap in Reach. And after a while forge world get’s kinda tiresome. Maybe they could add a DLC that’s a forge object that turns maps to night time. (Better than the purple fx) But the sand-desert map is def somthing i would buy!!

Why stop with just that?

We need a bigger Forgeworld, which builds upon the already existing one:
They should take the existing Forgeworld and expand upon it. All those areas we can’t currently get to should be altered so as to offer better playability (Flattening land and such). This would include the large out of bounds area above the Canyon and the Area with that large Forerunner Tower-Structure-Thing.

Then, they should at least quadruple the size of Forgeworld, spanning it out in multiple directions. You should be able to fly to those distant shores you see in the distance and forge there (as viewed from the shores of the canyon, and island). Even further away should be a DESERT AREA. If you go to the CANYON’s shore and look out in the distance to the right, you’ll see what appears to be a desert. You should be able to fly over to it and forge there.

From the ISLAND, you can look out across a big sea and see a distant shore that looks snowy. That should be a SNOW AREA. On the far side of the Snow area should be an Ice-Shelf Cliff that drops into another ocean-like area, only arctic themed (with ice floating in it, etc).

There should also be a very, VERY LARGE CAVE (Bigger than Waterworks) inside a mountain which is accessible via a hole in the ceiling (like in Waterworks) and by a hole in one of the walls that is very easily concealed with a Forgeable rock. Likewise, the hole in the ceiling is concealable.

From the PILLAR you can see a valley between that ‘Skull Mountain’ and the main area of Forgeworld. You should be able to fly through that valley and emerge into an area suited for Forging URBAN ENVIRONMENTS. Perhaps this would be an exposed part of the Halo superstructure (like an uncovered part, as seen in Halo 3), or something like a collection of Forerunner structures in an urban setup. This area should also contain an entrance to an even larger “inside” area (such as the COLISEUM).

Each one of these ‘biomes’ should be at least the size of the current Forgeworld (hopefully bigger) and offer as much if not more terrain diversity suited for each area individually. Also, the areas in-between each biome should be populated by diverse and suitable terrain that illustrates the changing climate and ecosystem with transitional textures (i.e. the closer you get to the desert, the more dry the land becomes, the less green the grass is, more sandy patches appear, etc… As you approach the SNOW area, snowy patches in the grass should become more and more common, etc.)

I realize that this seems like a lot to fit on one disk that also has Campaign, Multiplayer, firefight, etc. This is why I’ve been pushing for a Two Disk game:

Disk One:
Campaign (Big, and I mean BIG. 18+ hours at least)
campaign Matchmaking
Firefight
Firefight Matchmaking

Disk Two:
Multiplayer
Multiplayer Matchmaking
Forgeworld (updated; see my above post)

This setup would allow for a much better Forge, Campaign, and Multiplayer system. Also, it would be great if we could play both installed disks from just Disk One (and only Disk One).

@Mikal7
I don’t think the game could handle that. Forge World was pushing the limits, although mainly because of the memory needed to accurately make water. In a map severely lacking water, the map could potentially be much bigger, especially with the substitution program Bungie put in, replacing far-away objects with less detailed ones until you get much closer.

I really hope 343i is reading these posts. 343i please reply.

This was on Bungie.net. This would attract so many people back to the game and also encourage more custom games. Free of charge would be great and would bring so many people back. The heroic map pack was free so why not make that map pack free?

Check my post out:
http://halo.xbox.com/forums/games/f/9/t/5680.aspx

> @Mikal7
> I don’t think the game could handle that. Forge World was pushing the limits, although mainly because of the memory needed to accurately make water. In a map severely lacking water, the map could potentially be much bigger, especially with the substitution program Bungie put in, replacing far-away objects with less detailed ones until you get much closer.

Which is why the NEXT game should come on 2 disks:

> Disk One:
> Campaign (Big, and I mean BIG. 18+ hours at least)
> campaign Matchmaking
> Firefight
> Firefight Matchmaking
>
>
> Disk Two:
> Multiplayer
> Multiplayer Matchmaking
> Forgeworld (updated; see my above post)
>
> This setup would allow for a much better Forge, Campaign, and Multiplayer system.

they should just like, put in with that, a snowy forge world too. To give like extra stuff like how your sandy map is.