Forge Tutorials

So the new forge has just been released while it’s a very powerful tool there seems to be steep learning curve with controls and scripting. This can be very off putting to some the novice forgers and even some veterans. I sat down with a friend yesterday who was new to forge and tried to walk them through some of it and I could tell it was very overwhelming for him. I’ve been forging since Halo 3 when you had to glitch the game in order to phase and fix objects in position and I’ve made some pretty good maps, even I was having some trouble grasping the controls and concepts now. So I propose that some sort of tutorial or guide should be made to cover some basic functions and some the more advance functions like scripting. It would be ever useful in helping alleviate some of the frustrations and confusion with the new system.

Tutorials definitely need to be made, and will eventually be made by the community (some are already out). Otherwise, the only big curve from older forges is the controls. It’s kind of like having to relearn how orbiting objects works from Halo 3 to Halo Reach, but now it’s movement. My worst habit actually comes from Minecraft where I’ll press the left stick to fly down.

If you’re interested, I see that ForgeHub is posting some useful tutorials on YouTube.

ducain23 said he’s going to get some up soon in one of his livestreams

Not a tutorial but alot of useful info about forge and insight into what 343i wants forge to become.

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/community/blog-posts/building-the-biggest-forge-yet

Some Forge tips in the latest Community Update:

> Holiday Forge Tips!
>
> We’ve said it, you’ve said it – Forge is pretty big. We’re working on a few different ways to help players learn the Forge ropes, and also enjoying some of the community tutorials we’ve found on YouTube. Before the break, though, we wanted to share a few tips straight from the devs that you can use and have fun with through the holidays.
>
> Ben Walker, Engineer
>
> - Use intro camera previews for machinimas – these let you do really tight reproducible camera shots. - For fun times, have someone stand on a platform, then grab the platform and move it up with translation snap set to 4ft. (Physics reads this as the platform moving 4ft in 1/60th second = 240ft/s = 163mph, and that gets transferred to the standing player). - Also, if you start a Ground Pound and then go into Monitor mode, you’ll still be Ground Pounding when you go back into player mode.Tom French, UGC Design Lead
>
> - Releasing the trigger while rotating or moving will slow down movement, allowing for more double analog precision. It’s tricky but useful at times. - Building on grid helps for more precise layouts since most of our pieces are built to grid. - Our new controls are like learning to type or use bumper jumper. It’s a bit tricky at first but it’s significantly faster to get at the actions you do 90% of the time. - Use center of mass rotation (RT + dpad-up), camera type rotation (RT+LT + dpad-up to cycle to), and lock the camera onto a natural terrain object when trying to align it with others. The combo of those things seems to make it easier to visually tweak things. - Man-cannons launch vehicles and infantry, Grav Lifts just launch Spartans. - If your objects aren’t moving around the level, there’s no need wo weld them. Just grouping generally is what you need for static structure type stuff. - The chroma screens don’t have physics so you can walk/drive through them. This is can be for machinima fx or even potential level trickery. - To do event timers, you can use combination of scripting objects to despawn on the event, respawn timers, and sending messages/setting power on object respawn. Kinda hacky, but a good stop-gap until we get something better online. - Aiming your crosshairs at magnets influences which ones connect. - Moving objects in local axis mode (LT+dpad-down to cycle to; arrows visible coming from object) with grid snaps on will move the object the snap distance from its current position; not the world grid snap. Comes in super handy when you’ve built something at an angle and/or want to move objects precise distances from each other. - Z-fight grid snap moves such a small distance that if you walked across two overlapping objects it won’t cause the camera to bump - Z-fight snaps can also be used to augment precision movement.