Forge tutorials, tips and tricks

I wanted to make this thread to start trying to gather some references for others like myself that are simply overwhelmed by the amount there is to try in the new Forge mode. While I have initially been impressed and am excited to get started with making my own maps, I don’t really know the basics. I know many people will just say “get stuck in” and I have done, but I found myself struggling through the menu looking for the right height sized ramp to match what I wanted to build etc.

I’d like to gather some links and tips in this thread of anything people have found that will be helpful to others. Hopefully some will start making some short noob tutorials for people like me we can watch on youtube too :slight_smile:

Any haters of the new forge, take it into one of those specific threads. Happy people who are wanting to build awesome maps only please :slight_smile:

Also feel free to post up any maps you’ve made if you want to get some people together to try them out.

First link and hopeful tutorial series I have found.

5 Forge Session - Introduction
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_s9jdpWKumQ

I’m currently working on two maps that I have made in every iteration of forge excluding 3, Gladiator and A Bridge Too Far

A few tips I picked up today that may help others;

• When you create a group you can change the parent object by going into the object properties and changing the parent number (It took me far too long to figure this out
  • On glacier if you want a really cold map, turn all of your object colours to maximum metallic, put on max fog settings with starfield as the animation, white as the colour and make it night time.
  • Take it slow, it took me about an hour to get used to the controls, but after I got used to them, I actually prefer them over the other forge controls

Intro/Outro Animations:

• Make sure to match up all your shot numbers to how you want them to appear and how long
  • Make sure to match up the animation shot to a camera that is also on the same shot number if you want an animation
  • I found that for a spartan intro (where you see all the players) if you use a quarter circle starting above the spartans that lowers down and goes towards them it creates a pretty good looking animation

That’s all I’ve got so far, haven’t really gotten into decorations yet, so these are just some general tips, happy forging!

That’s awesome. Cheers Gruntastic35

TIPS:
JUMP HEIGHT

• Normal Jump Height = 9’ - Crouch Jump Height = 10’ - Stationary Clamber Jump = 12’ - Moving/Momentum Clamber = 14’ - Crouch Jump + Clamber = 16’
    CEILING HEIGHT

• 16’ is the minimum distance a floor can be from the ceiling to to allow your Spartan to comfortably jump without hitting their head.CLAMBER BUFFER

• Clamber requires an object with a HEIGHT of 4’ or more to function.READING MEASUREMENTS
    Halo 5 Pieces are represented in LENGTH x WIDTH x HEIGHT

• LENGTH is the value of the side in front of you, or along the X Axis - WIDTH is the value of the side going away from you, or along the Y Axis - HEIGHT is depth, or how tall the object is, or along the Z Axis

Serious question are there any blank maps with no objects on to begin with? I want to Forge on say Recurve but delete all objects. Do I have to delete each one separately? How do I clear all?

Anyone knows how to make doors open and close work every single time?

> 2533274793522576;5:
> Serious question are there any blank maps with no objects on to begin with? I want to Forge on say Recurve but delete all objects. Do I have to delete each one separately? How do I clear all?

There are maps that have a little platform with some spawns and objectives. There isn’t a lot of things on it so that one is quite easy to delete it all off of. Although if you wanna keep the objectives so you don’t have to deal with their game labels or anything, then you can do that too.

When you start out, delete all of the default items then save as “glacier blank” use this as your new beginning so you do not have to spend time deleting the initital items each time you build a new map.
-place a familiar object as a reference item so you can see how big the map is. I put a warthog next to my base to give an impression of how big it would be while building.

-When moving a large group of things MAKE SURE YOU GROUP THEM. moving multiple objects but not grouping them will make all sorts of head aches, especially with magnets

-Draw a blue print! I drew a floor plan for the next map i want to build. Put your map on paper with simple drawings, then use forge to make it happen. You’ll save alot of time if you go in knowing how you want things to look and have an overall layout you want.

-Don’t be afraid to copy cat maps from other Halo’s or games. I’m making a favela-esque board (CoD) and a gridlock-esque map (GoW)

-The sheer number of pieces is overwhelming at first, so start simple.

-Magnets are your friend, except when they’re the enemy

-Select ‘object properties’ to change the object’s behavior and the such. Mess around with the lights too, as they can be used to quickly “paint” a room.

-Do not expect to be able to bang out a map in an hour. The lack of premade structures means you need to build everything from scrap. It took me four hours to build one simple 2 story base. I’m sure you’ll get faster as you forge in the weeks/months to come.

Happy Forging,
ChefDog

> 2533274793522576;5:
> Serious question are there any blank maps with no objects on to begin with? I want to Forge on say Recurve but delete all objects. Do I have to delete each one separately? How do I clear all?

I don’t think we have a clear all button yet, but the only items each map seems to have are all (mostly) in one place.

You can hold down the select button and highlight all the objects on the platform you spawn on as you aim at them. Once those are all gone, there may be one stray camera not to far from spawn. Delete that and you’ll have a blank canvas.

It is just impossible to make a shield door that you can pass-through that ISN’T destructable? They really limited shied doors.

How do I make objects transparent and such for Light Bridges?

Best advice I can give is never forget what object you have selected. It’s so easy to forget and accidentally move or rotate something you didn’t want to becase Forge loves that crappy free roam camera when you have an object selected. Right Stick Button toggles it but it always resets for me on new objects.

I am going to trial making a really dark map by placing huge floors above my map then despawning them on a timer after they bake shadows. Would anyone like to test if this works? I’m at work right now so I can’t confirm.

Dies anyone know if welding is benificial to bases and such? Will it help lower engine strain?

• Start up animations and cameras must be grouped, set to the same shot number and to the same team in order to function - Start with your floors, place your biggest area first, then the bases (if needed) and then connect them with paths/walkways/bridges. - Jump in and check the routes, are there enough paths and options, are there too many? - Build up your walls, remember magnets help get things in line, but more often then not they can cause chaos with object groups. - Next work on some vertical map space, the secret to a good fun map is options and ways to use the new spartan abilities, get up high. - Always play test, somethings you might not realise, like that wall is actually climbable, or that secret passage you just built can be jumped to from the bridge going over the top of it. - Primitives are awesome, but remember to detail them with props or accents. - Learn your angles, yep we all know if it is at 0 the opposite will be 180, but what about 45? 33? 22? - I find making a map look as if it is at least slightly possible is always good, so support that floating ledge! - Finally i am doing some testing on wielding warthogs and such to see if they become stationary, how the scripting effects doors, and how to make walls less dull. Keep you all posted.

Finally! Other forgers! I love all the tips! Anyone else dream of a Custom Games Playlist?

> 2533274793522576;5:

Parallax is completely blank. Breakout Arena is an open field.

> 2533274795533089;1:
> I wanted to make this thread to start trying to gather some references for others like myself that are simply overwhelmed by the amount there is to try in the new Forge mode. While I have initially been impressed and am excited to get started with making my own maps, I don’t really know the basics. I know many people will just say “get stuck in” and I have done, but I found myself struggling through the menu looking for the right height sized ramp to match what I wanted to build etc.
>
> I’d like to gather some links and tips in this thread of anything people have found that will be helpful to others. Hopefully some will start making some short noob tutorials for people like me we can watch on youtube too :slight_smile:
>
> Any haters of the new forge, take it into one of those specific threads. Happy people who are wanting to build awesome maps only please :slight_smile:
>
> Also feel free to post up any maps you’ve made if you want to get some people together to try them out.
>
> First link and hopeful tutorial series I have found.
>
> 5 Forge Session - Introduction
> Halo 5 Forge Session - Introduction - YouTube

Im suscribed with that channel lol

I was building a map in the top of Fathom, at the water level, to act as an underwater lab that was sinking, and was all tech. Ghosts Of Merridean launched, and now it has been entirely replaced with natural pieces and rain, stone walled teleporters lining the inner ring of the arena, with a rock pond that you can still see through in. (use decals and lights instead of chromas for water and such). Point being, don’t be afraid to take advantage of new pieces as they launch. (the Valhalla map in rotation now? Really wish they used decals for the water instead of glass)

So, currently creating a map and I seem to have filled in the large middle area but cant seem to create viable sources of cover in the very large open spaces with no cover without making the pieces in that area seem forced. any tips on making good cover anybody?

I’m having an issue where if I create an object and put script on it, then the object moves too far from its starting place and is deleted or despawned, then the object is gone, but the Budget Window still says the scripting is spent, like the object was deleted, but the script was not.

An example; I made a road. I put a car on the road. On the car, I placed 4 Scripts: 1 On Message Receive Alpha Spawn, 2 On Message Receive Bravo Offset X 500, 3 On Message Receive Charlie Offset X 500, 4 On Message Receive Delta Despawn. Now this worked GREAT at first. I used a Script brain with timers to run Alpha, Bravo, Charlie, Delta. So the car went 1,000 on X, Despawned, Respawned, then went again, over and over. Then I made it go Alpha, Bravo, Charlie, Bravo, Charlie, Delta. The Car spawned, went 2,000 on X, Despawned, and never came back. I even went into the Map Options and tried RESPAWN ALL OBJECTS, but it did not respawn the car, but the Budget still said 10 SCRIPTS (4 from the car, 6 from the Brain). I tried to DELETE ALL UNLOCKED (I am 100% sure the car was NOT locked), and it deleted EVERYTHING like it was supposed to, Budget said OBJECTS 0/1024, GROUPS 0/128, LIGHTMAP, COLLISION, PHYSICS, all 0%, but for Scripts, it was still at 4…

How do I get rid of the scripts, and how do make the car not disappear FOREVER?