forge..too much?

In halo 3, every time someone made a cool infection map, or a base floating over avalanche, people would be like, oh that’s just awesome.

In halo reach, People are just like, anyone can do that.
there’s a lack of unique material in reach. Anyone can make anything.
Doesn’t that…ruin the experience a bit?

Don’t get me wrong, i cant imagine 343 removing fixed/phased from forge…but does anyone get the feeling that producing cool, unique forge maps isnt half as common?
I mean, i had more FUN in h3 forge… did anyone else?

> In halo 3, every time someone made a cool infection map, or a base floating over avalanche, people would be like, oh that’s just awesome.
>
> In halo reach, People are just like, anyone can do that.
> there’s a lack of unique material in reach. Anyone can make anything.
> Doesn’t that…ruin the experience a bit?
>
> Don’t get me wrong, i cant imagine 343 removing fixed/phased from forge…but does anyone get the feeling that producing cool, unique forge maps isnt half as common?
> I mean, i had more FUN in h3 forge… did anyone else?

The problem is there are alot of forgers that think to simple and use pieces for what they are ment to be. That’s a no no. Forge is ment to use things in ways never imagined an in a way create your own unique use of a piece.

> > In halo 3, every time someone made a cool infection map, or a base floating over avalanche, people would be like, oh that’s just awesome.
> >
> > In halo reach, People are just like, anyone can do that.
> > there’s a lack of unique material in reach. Anyone can make anything.
> > Doesn’t that…ruin the experience a bit?
> >
> > Don’t get me wrong, i cant imagine 343 removing fixed/phased from forge…but does anyone get the feeling that producing cool, unique forge maps isnt half as common?
> > I mean, i had more FUN in h3 forge… did anyone else?
>
> The problem is there are alot of forgers that think to simple and use pieces for what they are ment to be. That’s a no no. Forge is ment to use things in ways never imagined an in a way create your own unique use of a piece.

Exactly, race maps are a good example. People just connect some bridges, choose arbitrary objects, and call that a race map while it’s not, it’s just bridges and ramps put together. There are some good maps out there, but they get covered under the increasing amount of content that is just buildings and blocks put together.

It’s not the Forge’s fault, but the players’ fault as they don’t realize that making a good map takes effort.

> > In halo 3, every time someone made a cool infection map, or a base floating over avalanche, people would be like, oh that’s just awesome.
> >
> > In halo reach, People are just like, anyone can do that.
> > there’s a lack of unique material in reach. Anyone can make anything.
> > Doesn’t that…ruin the experience a bit?
> >
> > Don’t get me wrong, i cant imagine 343 removing fixed/phased from forge…but does anyone get the feeling that producing cool, unique forge maps isnt half as common?
> > I mean, i had more FUN in h3 forge… did anyone else?
>
> The problem is there are alot of forgers that think to simple and use pieces for what they are ment to be. That’s a no no. Forge is ment to use things in ways never imagined an in a way create your own unique use of a piece.

Of course I’m going to use something for what it’s intended for, I don’t use juice to take a shower.

Well i mean like, someone link me to a map that you think was awesome. I mean, alot of race maps are like, Im putting building blocks together to make a road! that looks really neat and organized and everything! thats cool, but theres no effect like there was in halo 3 where you realized that the map actually required patience and skill…Now, every person can make anything they want. Which is a good thing AND a bad thing. IMO mostly a bad thing, I don’t even like most forge maps anymore…i guess its just me. Ive been forging the last two weeks trying to come up with something really cool, but Then i realize that anyone could have made what i just made, that it really didnt require patience and skill anymore.

> Well i mean like, someone link me to a map that you think was awesome.

Decresence by HI IM CAPS LOCK

> I mean, alot of race maps are like, Im putting building blocks together to make a road! that looks really neat and organized and everything!

Yes. But this isn’t a problem with Forge. It’s a problem with the people who use it.

> thats cool, but theres no effect like there was in halo 3 where you realized that the map actually required patience and skill…Now, every person can make anything they want.

Not necessarily. Forge won’t design the layout. Forge won’t design the aesthetics. Forge won’t design the gameplay. Forge won’t design the flow.

Forge makes it easy to build maps, but you (as in people in general, not as in only you specifically) still have to actually come up with a good idea, test it, and refine it. But because it’s easy to build maps, you don’t have to spend months actually bringing that idea to life.

> Which is a good thing AND a bad thing. IMO mostly a bad thing, I don’t even like most forge maps anymore…i guess its just me. Ive been forging the last two weeks trying to come up with something really cool, but Then i realize that anyone could have made what i just made, that it really didnt require patience and skill anymore.

Then come up with a better design. Because it’s the design of a map that makes it good.

Even in Halo 3, the design was important. Building the map was a huge obstacle as well, but the eventual outcome of a map still depended on whether or not its design was good. An impeccably-built map was worthless if it didn’t play well. The only thing Reach has done is take the building process out of the equation, allowing Forgers to get directly to the part that actually matters: the design.

If you want to make unique maps, you need to come up with unique ideas. You need to plan them, test them, think them over in your head. It’s not as difficult as it sounds, but it’s a tricky adjustment to make if, in the days of Halo 3, you spent more time on construction than on planning.

Check out Darth Human. He has the most downloaded files on all of Halo Reach and has played over 4500 custom games. He’s is no doubt, the best forger and has a LOT of imagination. Most of his maps are on action sack.

Fileshare: [http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/Default.aspx?player=darth+human&sg=0

](http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/Default.aspx?player=darth+human&sg=0)Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/TheHaloForgeEpidemic

Darth Human has some freaking insane, awesome, and addictive maps. I just sent an invite for him to be on The Podcast Cartographer. Our podcast is dedicated to finding the best forge content and then interviewing the content creator. Please check out www.podcastcartographer.com our first podcast will be releasing this week. A new podcast will be out each week so please check out the site and subscribe to our feed.