Forge Suggestions

Original thread at http://www.bungie.net/Forums/posts.aspx?postID=56581072&postRepeater1-p=1#57371725P

Exactly what it says on the tin. Put your suggestions for forge features in this topic.

Here are a few of mine:

Make the size of shield doors adjustable.
How, you ask? Just use the same system you use for hill size and the like. This idea works twofold:

1. It allows players to create bigger shield doors using less parts, and smaller shield doors for those extra small spaces.

2. Less parts means that you would not have to render said shield door out of multiple components, thus reducing lag (I can’t confirm this last bit, but I’m pretty sure that 1 thing would use less processing power even if it was bigger than multiple ones combined. Feel free to correct me on this).

It’s a win-win situation. Also, it would be great if you could make a wall version of this.

Allow us to set map defaults.
It’s kind of pointless to have a “map default” option in custom games when all the map defaults are exactly the same.

Make Y rather X than close the forge menu.
The fact that you can no longer access the object options menu from the forge menu can lead to pain and frustration when you have 32 fusion coils going off with the RTM set to max.

FIX THAT BLASTED COLISEUM WALL BUG
You know, the one where coliseum walls will randomly shift position, even if you save the map? Whatever you do, 343, just PLEASE FIX IT!
Also, fix that one where some pieces will -Yoink!- out if you open up the coordinates menu while they are in a certain orientantion. You know the one I’m talking about.

FFA Forge
This is something that has been missing ever since forge’s introduction in H3. By allowing us to show our colors, you can help us make machinima without having to switch over to custom games in order to not be on a team. Also, some people just like being lone wolves.

Civilian vehicles
Forklifts never die, they’re just missing in forge.

Switches
Switches would use a channel system much like teleporters. They could be used to open/close doors, fire mounted cannons, etc.

"Mobile" physics option
This would allow structure objects to continue moving after they have settled down. Breakable walls, anyone?

Shield doors with modifiable permeability
Remember in Halo 3, when manned vehicles would bounce off of shield doors? With this, you could select which objects can and can’t go through shield doors. One-way shield doors would be similar, except that each side has its own permeability setting. Heck, with this, you could consolidate shield doors and one-way shield doors.
Mirror object optionSome objects cannot be mirrored by rotating, such as the spiral staircase. This would allow us to mirror them, of course.

Make more use of the D-Pad
There’s 3 unused directions on the D-Pad, just dying to be used. Perhaps an undo function could be added…?

Make Forge World into one big island

This would be a huge renovation of Forge World:
-Remove some of the inaccessible places, such as the mountains in the distance.
-Use the freed-up processing power to develop the area in back of the current Forge world, so as to make an island out of it.
-Allow access all over this new island.

Emitters
Emitters would be objects that emit an effect, a projectile, or both. They could be tied to switches, or have a triggering action such as taking damage, getting walked on, etc. Forgers would be able to choose an effect (e.g. a light or thruster), a projectile (e.g. a Wraith mortar, rocket, or gauss shot), and how much damage it causes to a player(if any). Much like spawn cameras, they would not be visible in normal gameplay.

That is an interesting wishlist. I can see why you’d want them, but I forge more than play the game and I couldn’t care about any of that. How about just another map that you can forge on. That would make me happy! :slight_smile:

It’s an interesting wishlist for sure, one worth paying some attention too, but some items mentioned are better fixed, or changed, than others. For instance, I’m not sure how the shield door size editor would work - you can’t currently do that with any existent object (other than objectives), and that sounds like something that would need to be built into the game already.

To my understanding you can add any sort of thing you want so long as it takes the form of an object. Though if I’m wrong say so please, best not to keep dreaming about lies.

Anyway based on that make a multi select object tool. Lets say that it takes the form of a light. What it does is you adjust it’s area of effect and whatever is in it is selected. Ready to be tampered with all the same as if one object.

Speaking of area of effect, all we need is one of each object that does something. Like the grav lifts and kill balls. This is assuming there isn’t a cosmetic difference. Grav lifts specifically would be nice if you could adjust their ark, not through adjusting of the actual object I mean.

I obviously agree with your resizing objects idea, especially if it could be used universally.

Also another idea is a fog effect, which area of effect would obviously be adjustable. If I understand it correctly this would also cut down on rendering.

Fog could be cool.

Two things I’ve always wanted are:

1. A true night filter (not just purple light).

2. The ability to add trees (someday I’ll get my with of a Blood Gulch map variant in a forest.).

transport hog and 6 seater falcon(1 captin 2 gunners ,one passenger in between them, and 2 riders)

http://halo.xbox.com/forums/games/f/9/p/4224/39143.aspx#39143

A link to my Space map Suggestion.

Keep 'em coming!

> transport hog and 6 seater falcon(1 captin 2 gunners ,one passenger in between them, and 2 riders)

7 seater falcon (1 captin 2gunners ,1 passenger inbetween, 3 riders opasit the gunners

a space map ( more space in space than in a9

There’s a lot of stuff in this post, but I hope you read it all.

NOTE: All these ideas assume that Campaign and Campaign Matchmaking are on one disk, and Forge, Forgeworld, multiplayer, and multiplayer matchmaking are on a second disk. This would allow for exponentially greater space for Campaign and Forge and Multiplayer.

The Next Forge should have:

• Terrain Cubes (That’s 6 sides) (Small, Medium, Large, Extra Large (With different terrain geometry on each side (flat, wavy, hill, indented, etc.) There would be multiple cube textures (Grass, Sand, Mountain, etc)))

• Different Forge Object Textures ((Each in its own category) Halo: CE, Halo 2 (ruins), Halo 2 (regular (forerunner)), Halo 3, Human, Covenant)

• Open-able Doors using channels (alpha, bravo, Charlie, etc (this includes gates, such as on Zanzibar, Containment, Highground)

• Automatic Doors (Like in Halo: CE campaign)

• Different Sky-Box options (Nighttime, Daytime, Sunset, Stormy, etc) This would replace lighting-effects.

• Forgeable Water (Using ‘Objective’ area shape (cylinder, box) with water surface at top; anything inside the boundaries but below the surface will be ‘underwater’ (Option to have it ‘flow’ (fast for rapids (and waterfalls (when turned sideways)), slow for creeks and such, and an ‘ocean’ option; one default ‘flow’ direction only)))

• FIX THE “EDIT COORDINATES” and “ROTATION SNAP”! (Sometimes objects don’t align, especially when flipped upside down. Also, what the heck is up with rotation snap?)

• Mirrored Objects (This is A MUST! Either an option to mirror a selected object, or pre-mirrored objects)

• More Window-like Objects that are more versatile. (Perhaps just window pane objects with no frame (small, medium, large))

• At least 26 Different Teleporter Pairs, one pair for each channel (That’s 52 total teleporter placements. A little extreme, but it is definitely needed. Also, this could possibly have a correlation between this and the open-able doors system (Key a switch to activate a teleporter).)

• Bigger and Better objects than the "Coliseum Wall’

• Bigger Forge World with different biomes (desert, Artic, mountain, Cave, etc.(Exact map available later, hopefully))

• Weather Control (Possibly in conjunction with Sky-Box; rain, snow, etc.)

• Light Bridges (like in Halo: CE (Not crucial, but very, very useful) Small (Like the ones on the flood level), and Large (Like the vehicle one on the Halo level). Length adjustment. The large one should have those moving beams underneath it. The Light bridges would be under the same area as open-able doors and use the same ‘channel’ system).

• Animated Objects (Such as the big Fan on Zanzibar, The spinning array on Ascension, or the pile-driver thingy on Waterworks. They are decorative pieces).

• Civilian Vehicles? (Maybe? Doesn’t really matter, but it would be nice)

• 16 players in a Forge Game at once (not crucial, but would greatly improve the Forging experience)

• Mega-Structures (BIG, detailed objects such as large Forerunner Structures or human Buildings. These would be very, very large (such as the Spire, or that Forerunner structure on Forgeworld, or those weather-control things on Tempest))

• More Rocks, bigger rocks (HUGE, to be used to wall-off areas; possible texture Cubes option)

• Forgeable Trees? (Maybe? Not as big a deal, but still extremely useful and very wanted by the
    community.)

• Forgeable Invisible Walls (With adjustable dimensions (This is needed. Kill-Boundaries aren’t good. Especially Soft Kill-Boundaries; Regular ‘death barrier’ Kill-Boundaries are still needed).)

• A ‘Despawn Time’ option (The opposite of ‘Spawn Time’. Similar to the ‘Invasion Gate’ option currently available while forging Invasion Maps in Halo Reach)

• A better ‘Respawn’ Option for objects.

• More accurate time settings for ‘Spawn Time’, ‘Despawn Time’, ‘Respawn Time’. (Just add a ‘minutes’ option AND a ‘seconds’ option.)

• Ambient Wildlife? (By no means is it needed, but it would be cool)

• CRUCIAL: An Extreme Increase to ‘Budget’ and the number of objects able to be placed at one time. An EXTREME INCREASE. MUCH, MUCH MORE ( like, over 10x as much).

• Grav-Lifts with variable height settings (i.e. how high/far they launch you)

ff forge

> Fog could be cool.
>
> Two things I’ve always wanted are:
>
> 1. A true night filter (not just purple light).
>
> 2. The ability to add trees (someday I’ll get my with of a Blood Gulch map variant in a forest.).

Definitely. I wanted to do a night-themed map, but It was harder since I had to use Purple with some lights and the lights won’t show up if someone has two people on their xbox. So I had to pretty much ditch the idea all together and I think I ended up going with Juicy for my my Ambient. It would’ve looked way better if it was actually dark. Also wish you could have Night Vision in Forge World.
Adjustable shield doors would be very nice as well as adjustable gravity lifts. I also wish you had ability to delete rocks, trees, hills and etc. Being able to “control the weather” would be great.

If we had half the things on this wish list, forge world would be 10 times better. Its Ok the way it is now, but it could be better.

> > Fog could be cool.
> >
> > Two things I’ve always wanted are:
> >
> > 1. A true night filter (not just purple light).
> >
> > 2. The ability to add trees (someday I’ll get my with of a Blood Gulch map variant in a forest.).
>
> Definitely. I wanted to do a night-themed map, but It was harder since I had to use Purple with some lights and the lights won’t show up if someone has two people on their xbox. So I had to pretty much ditch the idea all together and I think I ended up going with Juicy for my my Ambient. It would’ve looked way better if it was actually dark. Also wish you could have Night Vision in Forge World.
> Adjustable shield doors would be very nice as well as adjustable gravity lifts. I also wish you had ability to delete rocks, trees, hills and etc. Being able to “control the weather” would be great.
>
> If we had half the things on this wish list, forge world would be 10 times better. Its Ok the way it is now, but it could be better.

This is what I posted above.

• Different Sky-Box options (Nighttime, Daytime, Sunset, Stormy, etc) This would replace lighting-effects.

You could have multiple different Sky-box options:

Regular
Morning
Night
Evening
Stormy
etc.

You would just select one while Forging your map and it would switch to it. The beauty of having the sky-box swap is that it’s just one less thing to constantly bog-down the server during gameplay. The lighting effects used currently are just filters, and can affect gameplay.

We should at least have the option to Forge on different Forgeworlds with these different Sky-Boxes before we even start the game:

Forgeworld
Forgeworld (Night)
Forgeworld (Stormy)
Forgeworld (Sunset)
etc.

i just want copy and paste lol

I have just a couple of requests!

1. diff skins for the building material.
  2. hehe new levels to forge on
  3. lighting effects(not special fx but like shadowing and things of this nature)
  4. normal physics to actually work on structure pieces
  5. to earn more cR while using forge, like not for time spent in it(avoid campers and abusers) but per like things accomplished, this one is more of just incentive for artistic creativeness from ppl who wouldnt normally use forge

Can we get a tutorial for the Forged Impaired? (AKA Me and maybe a few random people)

> Can we get a tutorial for the Forged Impaired? (AKA Me and maybe a few random people)

basically! just play around and learn the tricks yourself! but if you need help theres plenty of forums on bungie.net as well as numeous forge forums!

Dude I’m like Marcus Fenix when it comes to math or logical thinking when I try to Forge! I just can’t do it without shooting it!

GASP!
You have defiled the forums of Halo by mentioning the vastly inferior Gears of War series. Shame on you!