Forge Maps in MM, And My Proposed Solution

Hey everyone vVvDARK WOLFvVv here! Alrighty, I am gonna give my 2 cents on the Player made forge maps that will More than likely be made in Halo 5 and my proposed solution for said Maps being implemented in multiplayer(In case you couldnt tell I have a problem with how it was done in Halo Reach and Halo 4).


Let me just start by saying that I have absolutely no problem with forge maps, a lot of times they are cool looking and functional for multiple game types, and that takes some creative skill. I have made many maps on Halo Reach and one in Halo 4. But in my opinion they just don’t belong in Multi-player Matchmaking.

The pre-made forge maps that 343i may ship with the game would be the most I would personally prefer out of the forge area, and the forge test playlist they did in Halo 4 is stomach-able. But having them in the other playlists is a problem for me, partly because of the frame-rate lag I get from them (hopefully this wont be an issue in XBOne Halo), but mostly I really do like the maps that 343i shipped out in halo 4 and the DLC maps they made are good IMO

But the playlists are littered with Player made maps and I never get to play what was given by 343i because 95% of the time I get 3/3 voting options being forge maps, another 3% its 2/3 and the remaining 2% i get lucky with 1/3 or 0/3 maps being forge.

And Halo Reach was littered with stale forge maps.

Allow me to reiterate, I don’t hate Forge made maps, And I do enjoy using forge quite a bit.

And I have seen a lot of people getting irritated by never getting to play the maps 343i gave us.


Now, on to my Proposed solution for this

I propose that in custom games, there is an option introduced that allows you a multiplayer matchmaking style search where you get put into a game of random people for a custom game (host choosing the map and gametype of course)

And how will these custom games get started you may ask? well I have figured that out too!

Also have a separate option for “host a game”, where a person chooses his map and game type and then once he has done that, he is put into the random search pool and people can randomly join his game before it starts. I have seen this done implemented in many other games and it works quite well.

You may also be asking what about J.I.P? (Assuming it is added into H5’s multiplayer)

For that I propose that no one can join once the time limit has passed half, or once the losing team has gotten to half the points required to win.

And what about if you don’t like a custom map/gametype? you can dislike the map/gametype (and require a descriptive reason of X amount of characters to help avoid troll’s) and you wont be put into a game involving that map in your search.

This, in my opinion, would allow for more variety in the creative mind that is the Halo Community. And also allow for people that enjoy the Stock maps and DLC maps to enjoy them in Multiplayer Matchmaking.


This all can be debunked though if there are some major improvements to Halo’s forge engine, in of which I have made many of my own suggestions here

But even so, giving Forger’s their own section of the game will allow for expansion of creativity and allow people who prefer the shipped maps and DLC maps to enjoy the maps separately.

I will be the first to admit that I enjoy both forge and Shipped/DLC maps but I should be able to choose if I want to play forge maps or if I want to play shipped/DLC maps when I want to do so.


Thank you all for your time, I appreciate it.

Lets try to get 343i to see this!

SEE Y’ALL STARSIDE!!

Aww c’mon? Nothing? From anyone??

Don’t mean to bump but I really want feedback on this idea (apologies)

I agree with forge specific multiplayer, but I would prefer something more along the lines of a PC-like server list system, or a dedicated playlist in which community voted map-gametype combinations are added weekly, with the least-voted maps in the rotation being outed in favor of new ones. With what you are suggesting I’m afraid I would get into too many mini games if you are literally joining a random lobby where you don’t know if you are going to get an interesting 4v4 swat CTF variant on a well made map or bubbax9g5’s latest catastrophe (I am terribly sorry if there is anybody named bubbax9g5 out there, i mean no offense).

And I don’t mean to sound like a -blam!- but you really need to stop bumping, especially so frequently. I’ve see you do it with your other topics too. Its not fair to other posters because you push more active topics off the list, and other less active topics off faster, giving them even less time to be seen. Its one thing if you posted yesterday on a topic you really want an answer to or give your topic one last chance. But hourly? Thats not good.

> I agree with forge specific multiplayer, but I would prefer something more along the lines of a PC-like server list system, or a dedicated playlist in which community voted map-gametype combinations are added weekly, with the least-voted maps in the rotation being outed in favor of new ones. With what you are suggesting I’m afraid I would get into too many mini games if you are literally joining a random lobby where you don’t know if you are going to get an interesting 4v4 swat CTF variant on a well made map or bubbax9g5’s latest catastrophe (I am terribly sorry if there is anybody named bubbax9g5 out there, i mean no offense).
>
> And I don’t mean to sound like a -blam!- but you really need to stop bumping, especially so frequently. I’ve see you do it with your other topics too. Its not fair to other posters because you push more active topics off the list, and other less active topics off faster, giving them even less time to be seen. Its one thing if you posted yesterday on a topic you really want an answer to or give your topic one last chance. But hourly? Thats not good.

I think being connected to hosts would work better IMO

and also, I do usually wait a day or two before bumping, but I also usually get answers rather rapidly. (or at least I have in the past, I guess people are a lot more lax, with the announcement of Halo: MC Collection and what not) apologies.

> > I agree with forge specific multiplayer, but I would prefer something more along the lines of a PC-like server list system, or a dedicated playlist in which community voted map-gametype combinations are added weekly, with the least-voted maps in the rotation being outed in favor of new ones. With what you are suggesting I’m afraid I would get into too many mini games if you are literally joining a random lobby where you don’t know if you are going to get an interesting 4v4 swat CTF variant on a well made map or bubbax9g5’s latest catastrophe (I am terribly sorry if there is anybody named bubbax9g5 out there, i mean no offense).
> >
> > And I don’t mean to sound like a -blam!- but you really need to stop bumping, especially so frequently. I’ve see you do it with your other topics too. Its not fair to other posters because you push more active topics off the list, and other less active topics off faster, giving them even less time to be seen. Its one thing if you posted yesterday on a topic you really want an answer to or give your topic one last chance. But hourly? Thats not good.
>
> <mark>I think being connected to hosts would work better IMO</mark>
>
> and also, I do usually wait a day or two before bumping, but I also usually get answers rather rapidly. (or at least I have in the past, I guess people are a lot more lax, with the announcement of Halo: MC Collection and what not) apologies.

That is what the server list I proposed would be. Its just that unlike your original suggestion players would be able to choose exactly what they join rather than clicking one button and having to quit a dozen times before they randomly get a game that sounds appealing enough to try.

Also, dedicated servers aren’t good enough for you? (lol jk jk).

But seriously, what I like about your idea is that it gives custom games and their creators more exposure, but the variety of custom games and the simple fact that most people only like a few types means that a single hopper that contains every random game being hosted right now wouldn’t give the player enough control over their search. And the reason for my other suggestion is that there are a lot of players, myself included, who would prefer to play on maps that have already been tested and found to be good, which is why a “community’s best” playlist featuring the best game types on the best maps (not just competitive, but anything else that makes it to the top of the charts) would be a great addition. Also, these ideas don’t necessarily rule each other out.

But the bottom line of the point I’m trying to make is this: I think players really need a way to choose what kind of customs they are getting into. And if you think quitting is a problem now, just wait until the lobby of a game is filled with randomly chosen people who don’t like that mode. they all leave, and the host is sitting there even longer waiting for enough people to start.

No Forge maps in MM period? I am SO SICK of Haven, Ragnarock, etc. at this point. I want to see a lot more forge maps in Matchmaking.

I have been thinking of an idea for a custom-game type MM playlist for a while, and really want a more accessable way for less well known forgers to get their maps out there. There would obviously have to be some way to ensure that you get the kind of game you want (ie. if you want slayer, you don’t get a minigame) and prevent people from putting troll maps up (ex. someone makes a map where all the spawnpoints are in kill balls).

Ideally, 343 could somehow pull maps from this and put them into MM, possibly by having people rate them after they play.

I certainly agree with the idea of constantly rotating forge maps in and out of playlists, though it may not work in competitive playlists as map knowledge is important there, so it would only really work in social/casual playlists.

To me, not claiming to be an excellent forger…, if I don’t have a shot at having my maps added to the official multiplayer, my map making experience is diminished. I like the idea of having a forge only playlist for testing up and coming maps, selected by 343 for testing, but the next step needs to be “REAL” playlists in my opinion. I agree that only excellent maps should be chosen for inclusion, but as a forger, I can’t say that I hope forge maps aren’t in the real matchmaking. As long as they are held to a very high standard, I’m game to play anything the community throws at me and I will do my very best to create content that others will enjoy also.

> > > I agree with forge specific multiplayer, but I would prefer something more along the lines of a PC-like server list system, or a dedicated playlist in which community voted map-gametype combinations are added weekly, with the least-voted maps in the rotation being outed in favor of new ones. With what you are suggesting I’m afraid I would get into too many mini games if you are literally joining a random lobby where you don’t know if you are going to get an interesting 4v4 swat CTF variant on a well made map or bubbax9g5’s latest catastrophe (I am terribly sorry if there is anybody named bubbax9g5 out there, i mean no offense).
> > >
> > > And I don’t mean to sound like a -blam!- but you really need to stop bumping, especially so frequently. I’ve see you do it with your other topics too. Its not fair to other posters because you push more active topics off the list, and other less active topics off faster, giving them even less time to be seen. Its one thing if you posted yesterday on a topic you really want an answer to or give your topic one last chance. But hourly? Thats not good.
> >
> > <mark>I think being connected to hosts would work better IMO</mark>
> >
> > and also, I do usually wait a day or two before bumping, but I also usually get answers rather rapidly. (or at least I have in the past, I guess people are a lot more lax, with the announcement of Halo: MC Collection and what not) apologies.
>
> That is what the server list I proposed would be. Its just that unlike your original suggestion players would be able to choose exactly what they join rather than clicking one button and having to quit a dozen times before they randomly get a game that sounds appealing enough to try.
>
> Also, dedicated servers aren’t good enough for you? (lol jk jk).
>
> But seriously, what I like about your idea is that it gives custom games and their creators more exposure, but the variety of custom games and the simple fact that most people only like a few types means that a single hopper that contains every random game being hosted right now wouldn’t give the player enough control over their search. And the reason for my other suggestion is that there are a lot of players, myself included, who would prefer to play on maps that have already been tested and found to be good, which is why a “community’s best” playlist featuring the best game types on the best maps (not just competitive, but anything else that makes it to the top of the charts) would be a great addition. Also, these ideas don’t necessarily rule each other out.
>
> But the bottom line of the point I’m trying to make is this: I think players really need a way to choose what kind of customs they are getting into. And if you think quitting is a problem now, just wait until the lobby of a game is filled with randomly chosen people who don’t like that mode. they all leave, and the host is sitting there even longer waiting for enough people to start.

I just think that the random selection allows for people to expand their horizons some when it comes to maps and game types. And from what I have seen, people tend to be willing to at least try something new, because custom game types, even if the base variant of said game type is not a particular players favorite, it could be customized to the point that it actually behaves much differently and be possibly more fun

Though I agree that a Forge Test or “community best” playlist would be good for MM exposure. the problem with that though would be that while everyone has their preferred modes, a lot more people seem to like slayer than most other game types, so i am worried that slayer only maps and modes would get put into community best, leaving little room for other maps designed for other game types.

> No Forge maps in MM period? I am SO SICK of Haven, Ragnarock, etc. at this point. I want to see a lot more forge maps in Matchmaking.
>
> I have been thinking of an idea for a custom-game type MM playlist for a while, and really want a more accessable way for less well known forgers to get their maps out there. There would obviously have to be some way to ensure that you get the kind of game you want (ie. if you want slayer, you don’t get a minigame) and prevent people from putting troll maps up (ex. someone makes a map where all the spawnpoints are in kill balls).
>
> Ideally, 343 could somehow pull maps from this and put them into MM, possibly by having people rate them after they play.
>
> I certainly agree with the idea of constantly rotating forge maps in and out of playlists, though it may not work in competitive playlists as map knowledge is important there, so it would only really work in social/casual playlists.

A “Forger’s best” play list could be included and pick say… 4 or 5 maps (with custom game types) from each gametype genre (slayer, KOTH, flood/infection, etc) and put into the mix in their own playlist. this way there is plenty of variety and exposure from each type of map.

> To me, not claiming to be an excellent forger…, if I don’t have a shot at having my maps added to the official multiplayer, my map making experience is diminished. I like the idea of having a forge only playlist for testing up and coming maps, selected by 343 for testing, but the next step needs to be “REAL” playlists in my opinion. I agree that only excellent maps should be chosen for inclusion, but as a forger, I can’t say that I hope forge maps aren’t in the real matchmaking. As long as they are held to a very high standard, I’m game to play anything the community throws at me and I will do my very best to create content that others will enjoy also.

Couldnt agree more. But a separate “custom games” playlist as it were, could increase exposure and possibly draw in more people to try to build their own maps and game types, and by doing that, 343 can get players more involved into making the game they want to play (within limits of course)

> > To me, not claiming to be an excellent forger…, if I don’t have a shot at having my maps added to the official multiplayer, my map making experience is diminished. I like the idea of having a forge only playlist for testing up and coming maps, selected by 343 for testing, but the next step needs to be “REAL” playlists in my opinion. I agree that only excellent maps should be chosen for inclusion, but as a forger, I can’t say that I hope forge maps aren’t in the real matchmaking. As long as they are held to a very high standard, I’m game to play anything the community throws at me and I will do my very best to create content that others will enjoy also.
>
> Couldnt agree more. But a separate “custom games” playlist as it were, could increase exposure and possibly draw in more people to try to build their own maps and game types, and by doing that, 343 can get players more involved into making the game they want to play (within limits of course)

I agree with a separate playlist for custom games.

> >
>
> I just think that the random selection allows for people to expand their horizons some when it comes to maps and game types. And from what I have seen, people tend to be willing to at least try something new, because custom game types, even if the base variant of said game type is not a particular players favorite, it could be customized to the point that it actually behaves much differently and be possibly more fun
>
> Though I agree that a Forge Test or “community best” playlist would be good for MM exposure. the problem with that though would be that while everyone has their preferred modes, a lot more people seem to like slayer than most other game types, so i am worried that slayer only maps and modes would get put into community best, leaving little room for other maps designed for other game types.

True and True. But when you get Fatboy, Bumper cars (Two modes that i personally detest but seem to be popular at least among the people I know) or any other mode you have tried, don’t like, but keeps popping up over and over for the umpteenth time you might start to feel differently. That said, I don’t see why there can’t be a “Community best” playlist along with a less strict list closer to what you initially suggested.

But I still feel that having a server list to find games that sound interesting is a lot easier than finding an online forge community, joining on the forums, and hopefully recruiting people that way, and until there is a way to find interesting lobbies built into the game, people will continue to use those methods. And on top of that, this eliminates the concerns I stated above while still getting map creators exposure.

> > >
> >
> > I just think that the random selection allows for people to expand their horizons some when it comes to maps and game types. And from what I have seen, people tend to be willing to at least try something new, because custom game types, even if the base variant of said game type is not a particular players favorite, it could be customized to the point that it actually behaves much differently and be possibly more fun
> >
> > Though I agree that a Forge Test or “community best” playlist would be good for MM exposure. the problem with that though would be that while everyone has their preferred modes, a lot more people seem to like slayer than most other game types, so i am worried that slayer only maps and modes would get put into community best, leaving little room for other maps designed for other game types.
>
> True and True. But when you get Fatboy, Bumper cars (Two modes that i personally detest but seem to be popular at least among the people I know) or any other mode you have tried, don’t like, but keeps popping up over and over for the umpteenth time you might start to feel differently. That said, I don’t see why there can’t be a “Community best” playlist along with a less strict list closer to what you initially suggested.
>
> But I still feel that having a server list to find games that sounds interesting is a lot easier than finding an online forge community, joining on the forums, and hopefully recruiting people that way, and until there is a way to find interesting lobbies built into the game, people will continue to use those methods.

I do believe i did mention a dislike option that would remove that map/gametype from the list of games you can get randomly put into.

A playlist solely for Forge maps would be amazing. Honestly, they were some of my favorite maps in Reach and 4. What you’re talking about sounds like it would be more of a Custom Games matchmaking playlist, which is also cool, but I’d like for there to be a way to go online and play regular Halo multiplayer just on maps that Forgers have created. Kind of like the DLC playlists, but with Forge maps instead.

> A playlist solely for Forge maps would be amazing. Honestly, they were some of my favorite maps in Reach and 4. What you’re talking about sounds like it would be more of a Custom Games matchmaking playlist, which is also cool, but I’d like for there to be a way to go online and play regular Halo multiplayer just on maps that Forgers have created. Kind of like the DLC playlists, but with Forge maps instead.

A community or ‘best of’ playlist was mentioned a few times for MM

> > > To me, not claiming to be an excellent forger…, if I don’t have a shot at having my maps added to the official multiplayer, my map making experience is diminished. I like the idea of having a forge only playlist for testing up and coming maps, selected by 343 for testing, but the next step needs to be “REAL” playlists in my opinion. I agree that only excellent maps should be chosen for inclusion, but as a forger, I can’t say that I hope forge maps aren’t in the real matchmaking. As long as they are held to a very high standard, I’m game to play anything the community throws at me and I will do my very best to create content that others will enjoy also.
> >
> > Couldnt agree more. But a separate “custom games” playlist as it were, could increase exposure and possibly draw in more people to try to build their own maps and game types, and by doing that, 343 can get players more involved into making the game they want to play (within limits of course)
>
> I agree with a separate playlist for custom games.

Thankyou for agreeing with that. though I also think a “community’s best” playlist could be beneficial too, as a means of crossing between the two different areas.

> But in my opinion they just don’t belong in Multi-player Matchmaking.

Disagree. I’d rather see them in all playlists. They could just make it so one voting slot always has a default map.

The reason people seem to hate forge maps is their bland aesthetic, which could be changed by giving more pieces / texture options.

> > But in my opinion they just don’t belong in Multi-player Matchmaking.
>
> Disagree. I’d rather see them in all playlists. They could just make it so one voting slot always has a default map.
>
> The reason people seem to hate forge maps is their bland aesthetic, which could be changed by giving more pieces / texture options.

This i agree with! also the framerate lag that is present with some maps is quite bothersome…

But as far as aesthetics go Check this list out!

Last ditch attempt to keep the thread alive