Forge Lessons - [11/22] Lesson 51

> <mark>Latest Update</mark>
> [11/22/11] New Forge Lesson
>
> Lesson 51: Audience
>
> - It is impossible to make a map that everyone enjoys
> - Choosing an audience and understanding your audience can help custom tailor your map to their needs
> - There are many different types of people out there and learning what they like and dislike allows you to prioritize map traits better
>
> If you want to save this thread to read or come back to for later then press the “Tag as Favorite” button at the top right next to “Post Reply” and “New Topic”. Then you can find it through “My Topics” in the top menu where you find the “Inbox”.

What are the Forge Lessons?

The Forge Lessons series is a collection of level design articles with tips and tricks that I have learned through my experience with forge from both Halo 3 and Halo: Reach. I began this series on August 3rd, 2010 and have been adding to it every chance I get and will begin adding to it once again after a long hiatus. They are written in a very general way so that they can apply to any type of level design in any game, but are named Forge Lessons after the editor that I learned them in. They’ve been front paged on Bungie, used for a couple game design high school/college courses, and read by thousands of people. I’ve un-spoilered the first five and the latest three to make it easy for you. If you are interested in reading the rest just click the “Show Spoiler” button to see them. Enjoy!

Downloadable PDF [11/22/11]: Forge Lessons 1-51

Forge Lesson List

Lesson 1: First Impressions
Lesson 2: Knowledge is Power
Lesson 3: Path Manipulation
Lesson 4: Perspectives
Lesson 5: Deterrents

Lessons 6 - 48

Lesson 49: Exposure
Lesson 50: Navigation
Lesson 51: Audience

Why should I read them?

One of the great things about content creation is that everyone has their own approach to things. There is no true right or wrong way to go about making maps. And you know what? Nothing is EVER perfect. Everything can be improved. These lessons go above and beyond your standard map design discussions. They cover many different aspects with a ton of topics on things people don’t really talk about, from design to development to testing to advertising. They aren’t the end all be all, and some of them may seem like common sense or too minor to matter. The point isn’t to cover the most common issues. It is to open your eyes and look at different ways you can improve your content or your approach to content creation… no matter how good your content or approach is, it can always get better. And no matter what your style is, you can only benefit by taking the time to learn a little something more even if you might not use it.

How should I go about reading them?

First of all this is a LOT of information. While each lesson is a small bite of information (an intro paragraph and 3 paragraph long sections… essentially one 12pt font page is how I measure it), there are still 40+ of them and they are huge and deep topics. I will suggest that you read one, study it, perhaps look at your maps or style and apply it, and when you feel you are ready then move on. These do not have to be read in order, but it is recommended as later lessons refer back to earlier lessons A LOT and they build on each other.

What are your credentials Godly?

I’m not the greatest map designer in the world. FAR FAR FAR FROM IT. The only reason I feel that I’ve been somewhat successful is because I look outside the box and I always look for a way to improve. To keep it simple, I keep telling myself that my maps suck or that my approach sucks so I can find ways to make them better. As a result I get better. I’ll let YOU figure out if reading this series is worth your time or not. I really don’t want to brag anymore than I already do because it is part of my personality. So if it helps all I’m going to say is that I’ve made three of the maps that are in the current Halo: Reach Team Slayer playlist; Affinity, Think Twice, and Château. While that may not seem that great based on the general opinions of the Halo Community and their feelings towards community maps, at the very least I’ve done good enough work for Bungie to put them in matchmaking. I know that is a pretty common goal among a lot of forgers so if you need help getting there then maybe this is a good place to start.

Last but certainly not least… spread the word. Retweet it, share it on facebook, refer people, etc. Let your forging friends know that this exists so they have a chance to improve their skills as well.

[RESERVED]

Just in case I need it for later, that first post has a ton of links in it… lol.

These lessons taught me alot about forging and level design in general so I can wait for them to continue!

> These lessons taught me alot about forging and level design in general so I can wait for them to continue!

You mean can’t wait right? lol…

Anyways I’ve got to go make some food but when I’m done eating and spending time with the wife I’ll be writing up the new forge lesson and posting it tonight. Today’s lesson is on Exposure, an advertising technique for your maps. I wanted to start out with something simple to ease back into things. I’ll probably cover Navigation for the next lesson after that.

although i’m not going to read this i can safely say godly knows his stuff and is worth the read for anyone who doesn’t understand much about forge and map design.

this needs a sticky.

Good to see you finally here, godly. I have enjoyed these tutorials and hope that many others have as well.

-Scotty

Excellent, more lessons. I learn’t a lot from them, and I think others should definitely read them too.

As promised here’s the new forge lesson folks. :wink: Today’s lesson is a minor advertising technique. Wanted to start a little slow to get back into the groove of things. Next lesson will probably be Navigation, but we shall see how that goes. Stay tuned next Sunday/Monday. :slight_smile:

Lesson 49: Exposure

• Before building any exposure it is important to have a unique brand name to distinguish you from your competition
  • Think outside the box to come up with tricks on how to maximize your exposure time to your target audience
  • The goal of increasing the exposure of your product is to be able to trigger recognition of your content and eventually to build curiosity

i think i might actually give that one a read, at the moment i’m horrible at getting noticed apart from in game.

A 3 Legged Goat? Is that you?

> A 3 Legged Goat? Is that you?

No I’m not Goat. I’ve worked with him and I’ve taught him a lot of forging techniques. But I am not him.

Btw, thanks for the sticky whoever did it. I’m going to guess Angel did it (if so thanks Angel), but if not then thank you to who did. :slight_smile:

> Btw, thanks for the sticky whoever did it. I’m going to guess Angel did it (if so thanks Angel), but if not then thank you to who did. :slight_smile:

It was bs angel.
https://halo.xbox.com/Forums/yaf_messagehistory.aspx?m=325682

> > A 3 Legged Goat? Is that you?
>
> No I’m not Goat. I’ve worked with him and I’ve taught him a lot of forging techniques. But I am not him.
>
> Btw, thanks for the sticky whoever did it. I’m going to guess Angel did it (if so thanks Angel), but if not then thank you to who did. :slight_smile:

Oh. Well anyways, thanks for the thread. :slight_smile:

love the website man.

> > > A 3 Legged Goat? Is that you?
> >
> > No I’m not Goat. I’ve worked with him and I’ve taught him a lot of forging techniques. But I am not him.
> >
> > Btw, thanks for the sticky whoever did it. I’m going to guess Angel did it (if so thanks Angel), but if not then thank you to who did. :slight_smile:
>
> Oh. Well anyways, thanks for the thread. :slight_smile:

No problem… new lesson coming out tomorrow btw. :wink:

> love the website man.

Thanks man, glad you like it. You should check out the forums some time.

What’s this a new lesson you say?

Lesson 50: Navigation

• Players have access to standalone utilities (such as radar, mini-maps, etc.) that they use to help navigate unfamiliar areas
  • Players study their environment to make decisions on where they should go next
  • Understanding how players navigate unfamiliar maps can be crucial to helping you improve your creations

Yet another awesome Forge Lesson! Miss ya’ Godly. : )

Are 50 different lessons really necessary? Forging isn’t really rocket science ya know… Could probably make a 50 bullet point guide that covers everything you have.

Lesson 50 waaaa? I thought you stopped forging, lol. Glad to see this here.

Get online sometime!