FORGE ISLAND REVIEW!

I played on the new “Forge Island” and all i have to say about it is… well…

ITS SOOO AWESOME 343 YOU OUTDONE YOURSELVES! lol forge island fixes pretty mucha ALL the issues with forge halo 4 had! me and my group of freinds played reach on forge world soo much, because i built awesome maps and gametypes for it
! but since i didnt like the 3 forge maps very much on halo 4 our group kind of stopped playing halo! BUT WITH FORGE ISLANDS! omg we can make the sickest maps ever! the green screen is the BEST OBJECT EVER! the coolest machinimas and video will be made all thanks to that little item! and the TREES! 3 different trees! OMG awesome! 343 im sorry for dbouting you! now that i know you can make something SOO awesome like forge islands im gonna belive in you!

I knew nothing about Forge Island as I gave up on Halo 4 for a few months but this got me excited. I checked it out and I was really impressed. Also been playing the Majestic DLC playlist for achievements.

It seems like Halo 4 is back on track.

I’ve got to say, I like this map. It’s free lol, and the unique pieces we get with them are nice. The trees and new rock pieces. I haven’t seen everything yet, but the maps people have made have been refreshing.

I haven’t gotten to it yet, I’m going on an ODST spell currently, but I’m excited.

I’m loving it! I already connected the 3 islands with a couple of bridges =P

FI was a triumph.
I’m making a note here- HUGE SUCCESS.
It’s hard to overstate my satisfaction.

Forge island is great.

A shame Halo 4 forging is so awful.

Anyone started building yet? The possibilities are endless.

I just don’t see where the love is coming from. Forge World was better. They could have took that and added the largest island from Forge Island off the coast. Done.

Not only that, Forge Island’s largest island isn’t really that large if you want to do big team vehicle mayhem. The terrain is also boring.

> I just don’t see where the love is coming from. Forge World was better. They could have took that and added the largest island from Forge Island off the coast. Done.
>
> Not only that, Forge Island’s largest island isn’t really that large if you want to do big team vehicle mayhem. The terrain is also boring.

Forge Island is a gift to Forgers. In its function, it is perfect: there are no distractions such as landscapes that limit your abilities to Forge on land, and the usable space is the largest space in the franchise (this includes the inside of the islands, which are perfectly accessible; and yes, the biggest island is about the size of Valhalla).

There really aren’t any flaws with the map at all, at least not ones of function. Any flaws you do have with it are cosmetic, and you know what they say: graphics don’t make a game.

It’s everything the Forge community aaked for: a perfectly flat canvas, all for free. I’m not a Forger at all, and even I’ve been having great fun making maps of my own.

> > I just don’t see where the love is coming from. Forge World was better. They could have took that and added the largest island from Forge Island off the coast. Done.
> >
> > Not only that, Forge Island’s largest island isn’t really that large if you want to do big team vehicle mayhem. The terrain is also boring.
>
> Forge Island is a gift to Forgers. In its function, it is perfect: there are no distractions such as landscapes that limit your abilities to Forge on land, and the usable space is the largest space in the franchise (this includes the inside of the islands, which are perfectly accessible; and yes, the biggest island is about the size of Valhalla).
>
> There really aren’t any flaws with the map at all, at least not ones of function. Any flaws you do have with it are cosmetic, and you know what they say: graphics don’t make a game.
>
> It’s everything the Forge community aaked for: a perfectly flat canvas, all for free. I’m not a Forger at all, and even I’ve been having great fun making maps of my own.

The inside of the islands? You mean the space between the islands?

If so, there is no different there then going to Erosion or Impact and forging in the air.

Forgers wanted terrain to forge on so they didn’t have to use forge pieces for the ground, making the map itself look cheap, colorless, and wasting valuable resources. I get the flat canvas, and I agree - that is my only complaint against forge world is that I would have liked somewhere additionally that was completely flat. But for Forge Island, it would be nice if we could either have terrain editing or “hill items” (like trees or rocks) that we could add that costs very little. Or, even an additional island that had some small hills and bumps. We have no variety or way to make the terrain not flat. I also think that even the largest island is too small.

As far as pushing the “free” angle. Yeah, it’s free. But they could have not been idiots, cut the other forge maps and work they put into them, and gave us something much better. It’s their fault what they gave us sucks, so I think the community is deserving of something free that we wanted from the beginning. That’s some of the reason I purchased this game. This isn’t a “gift from perfect and giving god 343” like some of the community is making this out to be. And, to stay on this topic, the resources put into this was probably 8 hours for one person. I’m not impressed.

On a scale of 1 to 10 how grey is the forging pallet?

> > > I just don’t see where the love is coming from. Forge World was better. They could have took that and added the largest island from Forge Island off the coast. Done.
> > >
> > > Not only that, Forge Island’s largest island isn’t really that large if you want to do big team vehicle mayhem. The terrain is also boring.
> >
> > Forge Island is a gift to Forgers. In its function, it is perfect: there are no distractions such as landscapes that limit your abilities to Forge on land, and the usable space is the largest space in the franchise (this includes the inside of the islands, which are perfectly accessible; and yes, the biggest island is about the size of Valhalla).
> >
> > There really aren’t any flaws with the map at all, at least not ones of function. Any flaws you do have with it are cosmetic, and you know what they say: graphics don’t make a game.
> >
> > It’s everything the Forge community aaked for: a perfectly flat canvas, all for free. I’m not a Forger at all, and even I’ve been having great fun making maps of my own.
>
> The inside of the islands? You mean the space between the islands?
>
> If so, there is no different there then going to Erosion or Impact and forging in the air.
>
> Forgers wanted terrain to forge on so they didn’t have to use forge pieces for the ground, making the map itself look cheap, colorless, and wasting valuable resources. I get the flat canvas, and I agree - that is my only complaint against forge world is that I would have liked somewhere additionally that was completely flat. But for Forge Island, it would be nice if we could either have terrain editing or “hill items” (like trees or rocks) that we could add that costs very little. Or, even an additional island that had some small hills and bumps. We have no variety or way to make the terrain not flat. I also think that even the largest island is too small.
>
> As far as pushing the “free” angle. Yeah, it’s free. But they could have not been idiots, cut the other forge maps and work they put into them, and gave us something much better. It’s their fault what they gave us sucks, so I think the community is deserving of something free that we wanted from the beginning. That’s some of the reason I purchased this game. This isn’t a “gift from perfect and giving god 343” like some of the community is making this out to be. And, to stay on this topic, the resources put into this was probably 8 hours for one person. I’m not impressed.

No I mean inside the islands. Phase a teleporter through one and you can get inside with no restrictions. I’ve already placed one Domionion base in the biggest one.

And they added trees to the pallette as well (3 types), and rocks of various shapes/sizes. I never said it was a perfect gift, but being free it’s still a gift. 343i tried something new with Forge spaces at launch, as many people were asking for the kind of varied spaces with varied aesthetics that they delivered with. People then asked for more flat spaces, and 343i went and created three perfectly flat spaces of varied size, put them in the largest usable space in the franchise, added in some new items, and gave it to us for free on their good graces.

As the expression goes, don’t look a gift horse in the mouth. Be happy they gave you anything at all when they really didn’t have too.

> Anyone started building yet? The possibilities are endless.

I’ve got a 4v4 CTF map ready to go. Here’s a screen grab:
Squirrel Chasm Screen Grab

The map is called ‘Squirrel Chasm’, have at it!
Squirrel Chasm

> > > > I just don’t see where the love is coming from. Forge World was better. They could have took that and added the largest island from Forge Island off the coast. Done.
> > > >
> > > > Not only that, Forge Island’s largest island isn’t really that large if you want to do big team vehicle mayhem. The terrain is also boring.
> > >
> > > Forge Island is a gift to Forgers. In its function, it is perfect: there are no distractions such as landscapes that limit your abilities to Forge on land, and the usable space is the largest space in the franchise (this includes the inside of the islands, which are perfectly accessible; and yes, the biggest island is about the size of Valhalla).
> > >
> > > There really aren’t any flaws with the map at all, at least not ones of function. Any flaws you do have with it are cosmetic, and you know what they say: graphics don’t make a game.
> > >
> > > It’s everything the Forge community aaked for: a perfectly flat canvas, all for free. I’m not a Forger at all, and even I’ve been having great fun making maps of my own.
> >
> > The inside of the islands? You mean the space between the islands?
> >
> > If so, there is no different there then going to Erosion or Impact and forging in the air.
> >
> > Forgers wanted terrain to forge on so they didn’t have to use forge pieces for the ground, making the map itself look cheap, colorless, and wasting valuable resources. I get the flat canvas, and I agree - that is my only complaint against forge world is that I would have liked somewhere additionally that was completely flat. But for Forge Island, it would be nice if we could either have terrain editing or “hill items” (like trees or rocks) that we could add that costs very little. Or, even an additional island that had some small hills and bumps. We have no variety or way to make the terrain not flat. I also think that even the largest island is too small.
> >
> > As far as pushing the “free” angle. Yeah, it’s free. But they could have not been idiots, cut the other forge maps and work they put into them, and gave us something much better. It’s their fault what they gave us sucks, so I think the community is deserving of something free that we wanted from the beginning. That’s some of the reason I purchased this game. This isn’t a “gift from perfect and giving god 343” like some of the community is making this out to be. And, to stay on this topic, the resources put into this was probably 8 hours for one person. I’m not impressed.
>
> No I mean inside the islands. Phase a teleporter through one and you can get inside with no restrictions. I’ve already placed one Domionion base in the biggest one.
>
> And they added trees to the pallette as well (3 types), and rocks of various shapes/sizes. I never said it was a perfect gift, but being free it’s still a gift. 343i tried something new with Forge spaces at launch, as many people were asking for the kind of varied spaces with varied aesthetics that they delivered with. People then asked for more flat spaces, and 343i went and created three perfectly flat spaces of varied size, put them in the largest usable space in the franchise, added in some new items, and gave it to us for free on their good graces.
>
> As the expression goes, don’t look a gift horse in the mouth. Be happy they gave you anything at all when they really didn’t have too.

Going inside of the islands sound like a glitch to me. You are praising a glitch? I didn’t realize the bar was set that low.

From all the videos I can only see 3 main islands. They all look pretty dull - forge is fun with good landscapes to build upon. Forge world was brilliant because it had a variety of landscapes - caves, water, valleys. Forge Island is just 3 flat surfaces and a lot of water…

Too plain…

I am very disappointed. I like some flat areas and space to work with but I also like variety. That’s why they gave us the maps “Erosion”, “Impact”, and “Ravine”. It was to put some variety into it. But all those maps are too restricting. This is why forge world is still superior.

Forge World gave us some hilly terrain, rocks, water, cliffs, caves, and also some flat land all in one creative space.

Forge Island went too far the other way. It’s just bland. And the 3 new rocks and 3 new trees really aren’t doing it for me. The rocks are to square to make up for the flat terrain and you can’t even use the rocks from the other maps!

They need to make a map like Forge World and make all items available on it. All the items from the other maps and the rocks and trees in one giant Forge World with various kinds of terrain and lots of open space.

Until they do this, I will not be completely happy…

A good forge map? Yes.
The best forge map? No.

Forge World was the best and always will be. If 343 made Forge Island with more terrain on the side or terrain palletes than yes…but since they didnt…no.

can anyone tell me what the green screen does? is it something where once you play on the map it serves as an invisible wall?

> The inside of the islands? You mean the space between the islands?
>
> If so, there is no different there then going to Erosion or Impact and forging in the air.

Nice assumptions. Interesting how they fit your arguement.

Actually, you CAN go inside the islands and Forge there. Which is exactly what he said.