Forge... How do devs make maps?

I have no knowledge of game development. I’m wondering, and this may seem like a stupid question, how do devs make maps?

Do they make objects for each map part by part and assemble them like forge ish?

or do they make it all as one?

because, if they tend to make it as individual objects, then maybe 343 could just provide us with those objects to forge with?

Sorry if it’s a stupid Q

It’s designed altogether, however they can clone certain objects in order to keep consistency. It isn’t like a forge system at all really, there is no saved objects to place down but rather using identical co-ordinates for polygons.

> 2533274881094048;2:
> It’s designed altogether, however they can clone certain objects in order to keep consistency. It isn’t like a forge system at all really, there is no saved objects to place down but rather using identical co-ordinates for polygons.

Ah ok, thanks for clearing it up

> 2533274877724470;3:
> > 2533274881094048;2:
> > It’s designed altogether, however they can clone certain objects in order to keep consistency. It isn’t like a forge system at all really, there is no saved objects to place down but rather using identical co-ordinates for polygons.
>
>
>
> Ah ok, thanks for clearing it up

think of it like making something in a CAD program that mini people kill each other ontop of then you let an artist graffiti all over it

> 2533274877724470;1:
> I have no knowledge of game development. I’m wondering, and this may seem like a stupid question, how do devs make maps?
>
> Do they make objects for each map part by part and assemble them like forge ish?
>
> or do they make it all as one?
>
> because, if they tend to make it as individual objects, then maybe 343 could just provide us with those objects to forge with?
>
> Sorry if it’s a stupid Q

Well… They take a primitive shape made of polygons (like a rectangle, sphere, pyramid, etc.) and they sculpt the geometry to whatever shape they like. Then, they duplicate it, sculpt a different shape, duplicate that, then sculpt a different shape again. After that, they weld the pieces together, or simply extrude the edges of one shape to make it connect/interlock with the other shapes. They do this multiple times.

Usually, the end result is a structure of some sort. Texture artists do the rest.