[Forge]Help Scripting Nav Markers

Posted in Support as well; hoping for replies:

The in-game descriptions are pretty vague. I’m even trying to do the most simple of things, such as adding nav markers to objects and cant even get those to function. Is there really something stupid that I’m missing when it comes to doing this? I’ve done scripting on the xml level before with Megalo scripts, but this is literally baffling me why I cant get even the most basic of functions to work.
Ex:
Object: Flag
Script 1>
:Condition: On SPAWN
:Action1: Change Nav Marker
<:Add: All Players (dead or alive)
<<:Target: THIS object
<<<:Text: RETRIEVE
<<<:Color: White
youd think that when this object spawns it would generically place a waypoint on it with associated text “RETRIEVE” attached. Instead there is nothing. Help please?

I have had some troubles with navigation markers too…but have u tried changing the condition to match start or maybe another one?

> 2535420681875778;2:
> I have had some troubles with navigation markers too…but have u tried changing the condition to match start or maybe another one?

I’m home from work now. I’m looking at how 343 handled navpoints in the KoTH on Blok Pit. maybe shed some light as to what exactly I’m doing wrong.

> 2533274795739611;1:
> Posted in Support as well; hoping for replies:
>
> The in-game descriptions are pretty vague. I’m even trying to do the most simple of things, such as adding nav markers to objects and cant even get those to function. Is there really something stupid that I’m missing when it comes to doing this? I’ve done scripting on the xml level before with Megalo scripts, but this is literally baffling me why I cant get even the most basic of functions to work.
> Ex:
> Object: Flag
> Script 1>
> :Condition: On SPAWN
> :Action1: Change Nav Marker
> <:Add: All Players (dead or alive)
> <<:Target: THIS object
> <<<:Text: RETRIEVE
> <<<:Color: White
> youd think that when this object spawns it would generically place a waypoint on it with associated text “RETRIEVE” attached. Instead there is nothing. Help please?

I don’t know how to make it work but this is how I did it. First off make it look like this:

Object: Flag
Script 1>
:Condition: Boundary: Check
:Check: Continuous
:Filter: All
: Repeat: 0.05
:Action1: Change Nav Marker
<:Add: All Players (dead or alive)
<<:Target: THIS object
<<<:Text: RETRIEVE
<<<:Color: White

Next. Place anything inside the boundary, whether it be an invisible block, a Script-Brain, or whatever. Then the Boundary should activate when you turn back into human.

I got it to work without interaction:
WHEN:
Condition… Round:Start
DO…
PLAYERS=Player(ADD)
Change: ADD
Targets=THIS(ADD)
and so on…

BUT, i just set this and reset game so it sends the round start signal…i do now that for some reason match start doesn’t always work.
Hope this helps

When you set a nav marker, be sure to set who is able to see the nav marker and what the nav marker is on.

Under the Add Nav Point action, there should be a part that says “Players” and a part that says “Target”. The default target is THIS, so don’t worry about that. For players, set it to either the team you want to see the nav point, or to all players.

> 2533274808210415;6:
> When you set a nav marker, be sure to set who is able to see the nav marker and what the nav marker is on.
>
> Under the Add Nav Point action, there should be a part that says “Players” and a part that says “Target”. The default target is THIS, so don’t worry about that. For players, set it to either the team you want to see the nav point, or to all players.

Well my reasoning is Ive been using Match Start. The thing is, is I want the Nav Marker ALWAYS on depending on ths flag status. Im wanting to remake Stockpile from Reach. I had Players set to All (dead and alive) and Target to THIS. My condition was on Match Start which im guessing should be round start instead?

I’m not trying to script nav markers but I do have a question related to the boundary check option. When the filter is set to object on the boundary check, does that mean that a certain object must be present within the boundary to activate it, with or without the player? If so, how can you set a specific object as the activator?

I’m basically wanting to script it so that a player isnt able to activate the boundary unless they are holding the ball / the ball is present within the boundary but cant figure out how to make it work.

> 2533274795739611;7:
> > 2533274808210415;6:
> > When you set a nav marker, be sure to set who is able to see the nav marker and what the nav marker is on.
> >
> > Under the Add Nav Point action, there should be a part that says “Players” and a part that says “Target”. The default target is THIS, so don’t worry about that. For players, set it to either the team you want to see the nav point, or to all players.
>
> Well my reasoning is Ive been using Match Start. The thing is, is I want the Nav Marker ALWAYS on depending on ths flag status. Im wanting to remake Stockpile from Reach. I had Players set to All (dead and alive) and Target to THIS. My condition was on Match Start which im guessing should be round start instead?

That’ll work, although if you wanna have more than one round, I’d use Round Start to be safe. Remember: unless you restart the Forge session, you won’t be able to trigger Match or Round Start conditions.

> 2533274808210415;9:
> > 2533274795739611;7:
> > > 2533274808210415;6:
> > > When you set a nav marker, be sure to set who is able to see the nav marker and what the nav marker is on.
> > >
> > > Under the Add Nav Point action, there should be a part that says “Players” and a part that says “Target”. The default target is THIS, so don’t worry about that. For players, set it to either the team you want to see the nav point, or to all players.
> >
> > Well my reasoning is Ive been using Match Start. The thing is, is I want the Nav Marker ALWAYS on depending on ths flag status. Im wanting to remake Stockpile from Reach. I had Players set to All (dead and alive) and Target to THIS. My condition was on Match Start which im guessing should be round start instead?
>
> That’ll work, although if you wanna have more than one round, I’d use Round Start to be safe. Remember: unless you restart the Forge session, you won’t be able to trigger Match or Round Start conditions.

Yeah i changed my conditions from Match Start to Round Start and they work. Must be a bug with that conditional tag. I have most of the setup and conditions wrote out on paper for Stockpile so Im hoping I can run it all together this weekend and clear out any bugs with it.

Anyone know whats up with nav markers getting diffrent symbols when the game runs a long time? It happens a lot in open long term games at random, my nav markers are constantly updateing to remove them from the dead and remark them when they spawn but after a while the diamond shape will be replaced on select people for no reason into a random multiplayer objective symbol, most common is the attack from ctf on an enemy flag carrier when you spot them.
I wish to find the reason it happens and exploit it to have more options with nav markers, personally i find the diamond to be distracting and ugly.

> 2533274913747068;11:
> Anyone know whats up with nav markers getting diffrent symbols when the game runs a long time? It happens a lot in open long term games at random, my nav markers are constantly updateing to remove them from the dead and remark them when they spawn but after a while the diamond shape will be replaced on select people for no reason into a random multiplayer objective symbol, most common is the attack from ctf on an enemy flag carrier when you spot them.
> I wish to find the reason it happens and exploit it to have more options with nav markers, personally i find the diamond to be distracting and ugly.

It happens if another waypoint overlaps visually where your scripted waypoint is going to appear on-screen. Your scripted one will inherit the icon from the other. This happens A lot with weapon pad waypoints…nothing we can do.

If anyone still needs help with scripting, I do a scripting class a few times a week for newer scripter Forgers. b0b is here, zero in b0b. This will likely get locked as it is an old thread. Hit me up anytime. I’m on every day helping people with scripting.

b0b is here !! Hooray, I’d love to take you up on that offer. I may be late to the Halo 5 Forge party… but I’m here and I do have the odd question. haha. I was actually just looking up how to set some Nav points as well and there’s not much to go on with Vids and not sure if what these guys are doing is relevant to what I want to achieve. Essentially I put a few Ammo boxes on my map and I just wanted to set some nav points to label them like I’ve seen in other maps that I’ve now long forgotten about.

Would you have any insight in how to Nav point label the objects like the ammo box I mentioned on my map please.

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-ca/games/halo-5-guardians/xbox-one/map-variants?lastModifiedFilter=Everything&sortOrder=BookmarkCount&page=1&gamertag=ooSnip3r#ugc_halo-5-guardians_xbox-one_mapvariant_ooSnip3r_10cf63a2-3921-4dba-925a-b8e972ada81a

> 2535441152633368;14:
> b0b is here !! Hooray, I’d love to take you up on that offer. I may be late to the Halo 5 Forge party… but I’m here and I do have the odd question. haha. I was actually just looking up how to set some Nav points as well and there’s not much to go on with Vids and not sure if what these guys are doing is relevant to what I want to achieve. Essentially I put a few Ammo boxes on my map and I just wanted to set some nav points to label them like I’ve seen in other maps that I’ve now long forgotten about.
>
> Would you have any insight in how to Nav point label the objects like the ammo box I mentioned on my map please.
>
> https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-ca/games/halo-5-guardians/xbox-one/map-variants?lastModifiedFilter=Everything&sortOrder=BookmarkCount&page=1&gamertag=ooSnip3r#ugc_halo-5-guardians_xbox-one_mapvariant_ooSnip3r_10cf63a2-3921-4dba-925a-b8e972ada81a

Put a script on it so when something happens to it, that it’s assigned. So, essentially set a Condition to something relevant, like “when…Spawns,” have the Action be “Set Navpoint.” Then, to have it disappear, whenever something happens to it, just have it Remove the Navpoint. Then the next time the box Spawns, the script will kick in to set it’s Navpoint again.

Or if you want physical help, I’m online right now. You can send me an invite.

Okay, I’m lost. I have two Ammo Lockers (and maybe other objects) on the map and I just want to activate the Nav Waypoint Markers that I’ve seen on other games. What are the exact steps I need to achieve this please.

So far I’ve done…

WHEN…
Condition: Match:Start
DO…
Action 1 Nav Marker: Change
PLAYERS
Mod 1: THIS [add]
Change: Add
TARGETS
Mod 1: Players [add]
Colour: (I haven’t chosen a colour yet)
Text: Ammo Or whatever text I choose to put
Distance: 500

OPTIONS:
Condition Interrupt: On
Round Interupt: On
Always run: On
Enabled On

I read above that I needed to restart my Forge session with these settings… I did and still didn’t activate.

Co2 OUTBR3AK b0b is here

> 2535441152633368;16:
> Okay, I’m lost. I have two Ammo Lockers (and maybe other objects) on the map and I just want to activate the Nav Waypoint Markers that I’ve seen on other games. What are the exact steps I need to achieve this please.
>
> So far I’ve done…
>
> WHEN…
> Condition: Match:Start
> DO…
> Action 1 Nav Marker: Change
> PLAYERS
> Mod 1: THIS [add]Change: Add
> TARGETS
> Mod 1: Players [add]Colour: (I haven’t chosen a colour yet)
> Text: Ammo Or whatever text I choose to put
> Distance: 500
>
> OPTIONS:
> Condition Interrupt: On
> Round Interupt: On
> Always run: On
> Enabled On
>
> I read above that I needed to restart my Forge session with these settings… I did and still didn’t activate.
>
> Co2 OUTBR3AKb0b is here

Your players and Target are flopped.
PLAYERS is WHO you want to see it. Change it to Players [add].
TARGET is what object you want the navpoint on. Change it to THIS [add].

Co2 OUTBR3AK , Thanks. I made the changes and still doesn’t work. Not sure what else in the process I’m missing. I even tried a script brain and it didn’t seem to activate.

> 2535441152633368;18:
> Co2 OUTBR3AK , Thanks. I made the changes and still doesn’t work. Not sure what else in the process I’m missing. I even tried a script brain and it didn’t seem to activate.

I’m getting on my Xbox in about 15 minutes. I’ll send you an invite or shoot me one.

> 2533274795739611;19:
> > 2535441152633368;18:
> > Co2 OUTBR3AK , Thanks. I made the changes and still doesn’t work. Not sure what else in the process I’m missing. I even tried a script brain and it didn’t seem to activate.
>
> I’m getting on my Xbox in about 15 minutes. I’ll send you an invite or shoot me one.

Were you able to help him? Snipes, sorry for the delay. I’ll do it in the morning for you and send you the results in case you still need them.