Forge Becoming an Integral Part Of Halo 4

Reach was a prime example of how the community itself can improve the quality of a game by providing their own content. Halo 4 will likely follow the same path, to what degree is unknown as of now, but we do know it will happen. So I ask of you, what are your views of bringing in community content to matchmaking early on in Halo 4’s lifespan? What will you contribute, and what do you hope to see?

I hope to see a bigger audience for the Forge system and the groups that support community content. I want to see community content make an early appearance in matchmaking, Reach had a lengthy time before we saw any changes, and It would be nice to have a playlist dedicated to the Forge content.

I agree, the best maps on Reach MM were the community made forge ones, i think if forge is less grey and dull in art style it would be perfect for the community to provide Multiplayer maps, it worked for Reach with it’s lack of maps, so why not Halo 4? It also provides refreshment, playing on different maps everytime.

Within the first 2-3 months the 10 disk maps will probably become stale, so the community made forge maps will keep us refreshed until some DLC is released.

Possibly have a Community Section, like in Reach but bigger, with Community Slayer/Objective, Community BTB, Action Sack, Grifball and Team Classic?

I just noticed that lighting becomes dynamic on forge pieces on placing them. I think I just had a heart attack in a good way o.o

I can’t wait to see what Forge has in store for us in Halo 4.

> I just noticed that lighting becomes dynamic on forge pieces on placing them. I think I just had a heart attack in a good way o.o

Yeah, they actually look like they belong now, the pieces don’t stick out like sore thumbs anymore.

And this forum is strangely abandoned all of a sudden…

Agreed. Forge was what kept me, my friends and my group going.

The best maps in Reach were the ones made by the community, but the only downside to that was the sheer greyness in them. But now, they’re really focusing more on the aesthetic side of things.

Great work, 343i!

> Agreed. Forge was what kept me, my friends and my group going.
>
> The best maps in Reach were the ones made by the community, but the only downside to that was the sheer greyness in them. But now, they’re really focusing more on the aesthetic side of things.
>
> Great work, 343i!

Definitely, that dynamic lighting is going to be a game changer when it comes to map color.

Sadly, most of the user created maps were meh for gameplay (those selected for matchmaking anyways). Don’t even get me started on The Cage and all of its mutants.

Excessive amount of crap forge map and lack of any dlc support was what make me flee from Reach. Never returned to matchmaking since then,

> Excessive amount of crap forge map and lack of any dlc support was what make me flee from Reach. Never returned to matchmaking since then,

I’m not going to outright say the maps were not adequate for matchmaking, after all I helped choose some of them, but I believe there was too high a quantity of Community content in the playlists that mattered the most. Specifically Team Slayer and BTB during these last few months. I feel like when people express things like this, it’s a misdirection of thoughts. Maybe it’s not that the maps were bad, maybe there were just too many of them?

> > Excessive amount of crap forge map and lack of any dlc support was what make me flee from Reach. Never returned to matchmaking since then,
>
> I’m not going to outright say the maps were not adequate for matchmaking, after all I helped choose some of them, but I believe there was too high a quantity of Community content in the playlists that mattered the most. Specifically Team Slayer and BTB during these last few months. I feel like when people express things like this, it’s a misdirection of thoughts. Maybe it’s not that the maps were bad, maybe there were just too many of them?

I’m still wondering why Asylum and Pinnacle haven’t yet been replaced by their superior community-made counterparts.

There are a lot of people asking that question as well, but there are many concerns to removing a map and replacing it after it has been a large part of the game since it came out. It’s sorta the equivalent of saying, “Well this DLC Map was great!, but let’s remake it again and shove it into matchmaking.” It would cause a large stir in the community, and confuse a lot of people who are not actively aware of changes in matchmaking. After all there is a larger part of the Halo player base that are not active community members.

My biggest problem with a lot of the maps (when I still had Reach) was just the dullness of them. They all felt the same to me, even if they didn’t play the same. The addition of dynamic lighting, combined with three different maps (which we can assume are all in different settings), should remedy this quite well.

> My biggest problem with a lot of the maps (when I still had Reach) was just the dullness of them. They all felt the same to me, even if they didn’t play the same. The addition of dynamic lighting, combined with three different maps (which we can assume are all in different settings), should remedy this quite well.

Indeed, but with all these new features making Forge that much easier and accessible to new people, all the current forgers will have to step up their game and get ahead of the crowd.

I’m really hoping we get direction lighting options, to change up the scenery if we do not like the current direction of shadows. They may have already answered this, as I haven’t been entirely up to date on the topic.