Post here your ideas about what you would want in the next Halo’s Forge.
Before I go into my ideas about Forge 3.0, I would like to give ideas have some kind of terraforming mode along side Forge. By this I mean that we should be able to change some of the following:
- Ground and sea level
- Raise and lower parts of the map, as in being able to turn a flat area like Forge Island into a hilly area like Blood Gulch
- Add mountains, cliffs, waterfalls, rivers, trees, bushes, etc. for scenery or map design. e.g. placing something like the mountain/large rock in the middle of Paradiso, or a cliff like the sides of Blood Gulch.
- Choosing the weather/environment, e.g. snow, lava, desert, jungle, etc.
Now in Forge, I would like the following to be placeable:
- Destroyed vehicles, including workable weapon versions.
- Damaged, or damageable, structures, including crashed pelicans and phantoms.
- One-time or constant effects, like fire, sparks, burst pipe, etc. as well as sound effects.
- Moving objects, like doors or elevators, that can be linked to a button or proximity
- Buttons could also be used to activate explosions, or other possible actions.
This is all I can think of at the moment. Please post your ideas and I will update below.
Instead of selecting pieces at a set dimension, I want the option of being able to select dimensions.
For example, when placing a block I’d like to enter ‘5x10x1’ (thin tile piece) or ‘10x10x10’ (big cube). For corners, it’d be amazing to be able to enter something like 27° and ‘5’ for the radius so then we can have corners that fit anywhere.
His forge thread.ran and shai:
Custom Objects- I’ve put this idea out there multiple time and I truly think it can work. By turning “glue” mode on you can stick any two objects together- either touching or phased into eachother or however you like it. When a new object is made with the “glue” mechanic, it can be saved into a list of custom objects (as a new category on the X MENU). These custom objects can later be uploaded and downloaded from the FileShare. If a really good forger makes a great replica of a space ship and you want it in your map, you can have it. If you’ve built a giant structure/base and don’t want to go through the hassle of rebuilding it, you can do that. And if you want to move a number of related items as one you can do that too after an object gets glued. Only awesome can come out of this.
- I love the idea that you can create your own blocks in any width length and height you want instead of many pre-sets.
- I definitely love the idea for day/night cycles and weather options.
- Terrain editing is what everyone wants, and it has been done before (even on our generation- Far Cry 3). Though I won’t kill myself if it doesn’t happen.
- Buttons with their own channels (like teleporters) that can open/close doors, set off explosions, spawn/despawn objects, give player traits and the likes. This is an addition everyone is waiting for.
- The return of precision forging.
The option to turn the dynamic lighting system on and off or to only have it work when you save. It is extremely annoying to wait for it to buffer, especially if we have more than one player in the match.
- A HUGE natural pallet including many more trees, roots, rocks, bushes, hills, pools (if possible) and whatever the devs can think of.
- For all structure objects, it will be nice to have multiple skins, as in- human colony, UNSC, Forerunner, Covenant(?), Flood, wood, metal… You get the point. Lots more textures and much less boring repettitive-looking maps.
- The option from the get-go to have deserts, ice glaciers, greenlands and flat spaces to build on would be very nice. This should be an obvious feature if a terrain editor is included, but if there is no terrain editor I hope we’ll have at least two unique terrain types at launch.
- AI spawns for Firefight maps (if it’s back, since SpOps seems to be out :’/), if possible and if it works.
- More gadgets to play around with. More cool ideas like trait zones.
- A big budget.
- The return of as many cut (from Halo 4) game types as possible as long with as many new ones as possible, because let’s face it- Forge is only good if the custom games are.[/SPOILER]
> I’d like to see one simple feature.
> Instead of selecting pieces at a set dimension, I want the option of being able to select dimensions.
> For example, when placing a block I’d like to enter ‘5x10x1’ (thin tile piece) or ‘10x10x10’ (big cube). For corners, it’d be amazing to be able to enter something like 27° and ‘5’ for the radius so then we can have corners that fit anywhere.
> This one feature would make up for all of the mistakes with Halo 4’s forge IMO, and be as monumental as the coordinate system in Reach’s forge.
I don’t see why this wouldn’t be possible, plenty of other games with map editing modes have this sort of system.
I would want to be able to adjust the size of all objects, for example turning a wall into a giant platform so I don’t waste time putting so much together.
And different textures instead of the same colored objects. Or if they’re too dumb to do that then make certain objects completely different colors so that walls can be one color and floors can be another.
Probably not even gonna get the new Halo. I’m kinda over it. I just want a good forge game, then there’s Minecraft.
Operating doors, I would love them, imagine infection with people needing to hold off zombies/flood and someone opening the door, it’d be great
I’ve got a whole friggin thread on it.
That took me a bit to write and I guess this thread came out before I was done so I guess your the one who came up with the linking idea though. Unless someone else wrote it down before you did…
> I’ve got a whole friggin thread on it.
> That took me a bit to write and I guess this thread came out before I was done so I guess your the one who came up with the linking idea though. Unless someone else wrote it down before you did…
> COPYRIGHT! YEAH!
This came out a whole day before yours :p, next time try looking through the past few pages before posting a new thread, or using the search button.
I remember a long time ago, it was Bungie I think, said one of the reasons that things like weather effects and more crazy Forge customization isn’t added is because it would render the map packs nearly useless. I guess 343i will have to read that line too, assuming they’re gonna keep maps as the usual main DLC.
I would love panels which you could type on to open a door, or activate shields. We could change the animation time from 0.5 secs to 5 secs. The object could be attached to it with animations like:
We could also have weather effects, prebuilt-hostile turrets, textures on objects :D.
it should be like far cry map creator/editor just halo-ifyed
An editor like Far Cry has would be great. Allow us to place AI in maps (e.g. Moa) and also give us civilian vehicles! That was a missed opportunity in Forge that a lot of people wanted in H4 and even H:R.
> [/li]1. The return of as many cut (from Halo 4) game types as possible as long with as many new ones as possible, because let’s face it- Forge is only good if the custom games are.[/list]
I agree, we need our range of gamemodes and customisation back for custom games.
Forge taking place on a massive holodeck inside the infinity or a shield world. You can create any environment you, it’s a map editor similar to project sparks. Screw forge world with it’s environment limitations, why not a map editor where you can create a world you want.
With the power of xbox one and cloud, 343 can create something like that. Please take advantage of that, blow us away 343. Forge is stagnating and we need a full map editor/world creator ASAP.
It could be nice to be able to place environment hazards in forge maps…trains, random animal stampedes, exploding buildings/batteries/power sources/etc at random…
I’m sure somebody could think of some better ones than I have, but if you had the ability to place one major map hazard somewhere in your forge map that could really add another interesting level to customize gameplay and gametypes. As well as just making the games a bit more interesting/dangerous.
It should be possible on the new system…something to consider at least?
While I’ve got more ideas, that I’m too lazy to type out, I’ve got an idea about climbable ledges.
Advanced movement is something that some players want to see in Halo, and that many despise and condemn the very idea of. After thinking about many ways to implement a feature like this into Halo I’ve only come across one way that it could work well. Ladders have been in Halo since the very beginning, and while they allow vertical movement it can only be in one spot and it wouldn’t look great for your Forge map to be covered in ladders.
Since a Spartan can only jump so high it’s not always possible to reach up to higher levels and traverse the map quickly, the jetpack does this task but it works poorly and can be used anywhere on the map which can break map flow. So, I came up with climbable ledges which are interactive features on a map, something that has disappeared from Halo since Reach. Any Forge object could be turned into a ledge by going into the object properties menu and enabling the feature. In game you would hold down “A” when next to a ledge to climb it. It could require a quick animation, like Assassinations, where your Spartan grabs onto the ledge and pulls themselves up.
This wouldn’t require 343 to build advanced movement into the core gameplay, would be balanced as you would be vulnerable during your climb, and add a new twist to map movement.
- This one is highly unlikely, but scripted events the creator can easily program into the map, sorta like Invasion in Halo: Reach.
-Someone captures the flag, something like a train goes by or hornets fly through the air-
-Last Man Standing in Infection/Flood, doors open revealing hidden areas-
-Someone kills the Fat Kid, EXPLOSIONS AND CONFETTI GO OFF-
-A team blows up an enemy base, care packages drop down-
etc… Let your imagination explore the rest.
Programmed AI for Infection/Flood maps to give a more realistic scenerio, or easier instruction, or just for scenery
Forge pieces that move when programmed to
A lot of these ideas aren’t new and were mentioned since Halo 3 in the Bungie forums, but now 343i has the opportunity to implement these with a new, better, faster console.
> A lot of these ideas aren’t new and were mentioned since Halo 3 in the Bungie forums, but now 343i has the opportunity to implement these with a new, better, faster console.
Yeah, I’ve been asking for most of these features for a long time.