Forerunner Pistol ideas?

With the addition of the new tier of forerunner weapons to complement the sandbox, i’m expecting there to be at least 1 gun to fill each current niche that is forerunner/Promethean. We’ve already seen/ heard of the close range, mid range precision, long range precision and explosive power weapon.

To compliment the magnum and PP, I’m expecting a handgun that is similar to the 2, yet unique in its own way. What do you think this pistol will be like? re-skin of one of the other 2? Mini hand cannon? Or something completely new?

I’m kind of hoping for either a constant laser pistol(similar to the sentinel beam with less damage, range and ammo) or a sort of light directional explosive pistol, that creates a short ranged shockwave type attack in the direction your facing that, while firing somewhat slow, takes about 2-3 shots to pop shields and another 1-2 shots to kill. If possible, I would like it to not be a precision weapon, as we already have a sidearm that fills that niche. i would like it to be a completely new weapon that offers its own uniqueness that makes it worth spawning with.

Ideas i like from below:

> I’m thinking a short to mid range concussive weapon that would kill in about 4 or 5 shots. The projectiles would dissipate after a short distance making long range combat impossible. The shots would have enough force to slow down an incoming vehicle or keep a sword attacker at bay.

> Something revolving around small energy bursts, kind of like what ironman shoots from his hands, only less powerful. It would be weaker than a primary weapon, yet more powerful than a standard sidearm

> It should have a big gap between its shots and fire powerful projectiles. We already have two pistols that fire relatively fast and it’s time for Halo to have a revolver. One that can be reloaded similarly to the way the scattershot is reloaded. One that could disintegrate a large Flood form in one shot, considering that the weapons and enemies were created with the intention of eliminating the flood

A forerunner revolver. I hope.

I’m thinking a short to mid range concussive weapon that would kill in about 4 or 5 shots. The projectiles would dissipate after a short distance making long range combat impossible. The shots would have enough force to slow down an incoming vehicle or keep a sword attacker at bay.

How about something like this?

Something revolving around small energy bursts, kind of like what ironman shoots from his hands, only less powerful. It would be weaker than a primary weapon, yet more powerful than a standard sidearm.

> Ideas?

I point you to the Gears pistols.

Snub, Boltok and Gorgon.

In Gears 3, the Snub is a single shot with highish rate of fire weapon. The Boltok is a six shot revolver with higher damage and the Gorgon is a full auto weapon. In Halo we have two of the three already covered. PP is the Gorgon. Magnum is the Snub.

We need a Boltok.

H3 came close but the Mauler was basically a dual wielding Shotgun.

Edit: Ninja’d. 22 Minutes ago.

Ive updated the OP with Ideas that i think have potential from this thread.

> > Ideas?
>
> I point you to the Gears pistols.
>
> Snub, Boltok and Gorgon.
>
> In Gears 3, the Snub is a single shot with highish rate of fire weapon. The Boltok is a six shot revolver with higher damage and the Gorgon is a full auto weapon. In Halo we have two of the three already covered. PP is the Gorgon. Magnum is the Snub.
>
> We need a Boltok.
>
> H3 came close but the Mauler was basically a dual wielding Shotgun.
>
> Edit: Ninja’d. 22 Minutes ago.

possibly. Your talking ammo/fire rate, correct? I don’t think the common revolver would be interesting enough by itself, but ammo to damage wise, its a good base for a forerunner handgun.

> > > Ideas?
> >
> > I point you to the Gears pistols.
> >
> > Snub, Boltok and Gorgon.
> >
> > In Gears 3, the Snub is a single shot with highish rate of fire weapon. The Boltok is a six shot revolver with higher damage and the Gorgon is a full auto weapon. In Halo we have two of the three already covered. PP is the Gorgon. Magnum is the Snub.
> >
> > We need a Boltok.
> >
> > H3 came close but the Mauler was basically a dual wielding Shotgun.
> >
> > Edit: Ninja’d. 22 Minutes ago.
>
> possibly. Your talking ammo/fire rate, correct? I don’t think the common revolver would be interesting enough by itself, but ammo to damage wise, its a good base for a forerunner handgun.

Yes.

Very insightful thinking of having a forunner sidearm!! I was wondering if we’d have more secondaries. I think it would be great to have a sidearm that was able to deal a great amount of damage and was very accurate. The trade off would be a very low rate of fire. I think possibly a three shot precision weapon. This would not only satisfy a lot of peoples wishes to see the CE pistol return, but would also bring something unique to the sandbox that we havnt experienced in a while. I would also love to see the return of a nerfed Mauler as a secondary, and the SMG from Halo 3, only with a scope.

It should have a big gap between its shots and fire powerful projectiles. We already have two pistols that fire relatively fast and it’s time for Halo to have a revolver. One that can be reloaded similarly to the way the scattershot is reloaded. One that could disintegrate a large Flood form in one shot, considering that the weapons and enemies were created with the intention of eliminating the flood.

> Very insightful thinking of having a forunner sidearm!! I was wondering if we’d have more secondaries. I think it would be great to have a sidearm that was able to deal a great amount of damage and was very accurate. The trade off would be a very low rate of fire. I think possibly a three shot precision weapon. This would not only satisfy a lot of peoples wishes to see the CE pistol return, but would also bring something unique to the sandbox that we havnt experienced in a while. I would also love to see the return of a nerfed Mauler as a secondary, and the SMG from Halo 3, only with a scope.

So you basically mean increased damage, but lower firerate, hand cannon style(similar to the carnifex of the mass effect series)?

As for the mauler, without dual wielding it just about fits a good secondary position. It was pretty weak by itself before, only truly good with either increased damage or duel wield. give it a bit of a damage nerf possibly and it might compliment the sandbox nicely.

> It should have a big gap between its shots and fire powerful projectiles. We already have two pistols that fire relatively fast and it’s time for Halo to have a revolver. One that can be reloaded similarly to the way the scattershot is reloaded. One that could disintegrate a large Flood form in one shot, considering that the weapons and enemies were created with the intention of eliminating the flood.

I don’t know about 1 shot, but 2-3 shot would be good. its a sidearm afterall, not a secondary nuke ;). I’m assuming the scattershot like reload means reloading 1 bullet(?) at a time, which would help to balance a bit. and as for the time between shots, this would be the biggest factor to balancing the weapon. if its too fast, the gun will be OP. if its too slow, it will be useless. Perhaps since it would be forerunner, it could have about a second recharge time and half a second vent time, or something like that.

I have thought about this and decided that Forerunners do not conform to the standard belief of having different weapon classes. I call their main weapon Combat Palms.

They fill many different weapon classes’ roles. Combat Palms are a dual wield weapon that consist of a Pulse Palm and a Particle Palm.

The Pulse Palm fires a slow moving but medium damage orb with a high battery draw.

The Particle Palm fires a fast moving but low damage beam with a low battery draw.

Both Palms share a single overheating battery clip.

Pulse Orbs stick to environmental objects for 3 seconds before dissipating.

Shooting a Pulse Orb causes an explosion.

Combat Palms have a 3x scope.

Combat Palms fill a CQC, pistol, rifle, explosive, and dual-wield weapon role.

Since these weapons are small and palm-mounted grenades can still be thrown while using this special dual wield weapon.

now one problem with having a cannon-like pistol/revolver would probably have to be with the new “pistol and flag dual wield” thing. if this wasn’t in, I’d say yes. However if all secondaries are allowed for this, then i can see a lot of complaints in ctf. This particular weapon would probably dominate this one gametype, unless its still generally weaker than most primary weapons (say 6 shot clip, slow fire rate, 3-4 shot kill, slow reload, and no scope attached).

Regardless i see potential in it, so I’ve added the most explanatory “revolver” post to the OP.

> I have thought about this and decided that Forerunners do not conform to the standard belief of having different weapon classes. I call their main weapon Combat Palms.
>
> They fill many different weapon classes’ roles. Combat Palms are a dual wield weapon that consist of a Pulse Palm and a Particle Palm.
>
> The Pulse Palm fires a slow moving but medium damage orb with a high battery draw.
>
> The Particle Palm fires a fast moving but low damage beam with a low battery draw.
>
> Both Palms share a single overheating battery clip.
>
> Pulse Orbs stick to environmental objects for 3 seconds before dissipating.
>
> Shooting a Pulse Orb causes an explosion.
>
> Combat Palms have a 3x scope.
>
> Combat Palms fill a CQC, pistol, rifle, explosive, and dual-wield weapon role.
>
> Since these weapons are small and palm-mounted grenades can still be thrown while using this special dual wield weapon.

the concept you have is cool, but considering no dual wielding mechanic exists in halo 4, i don’t see this being implemented. Unless of course you mean for them to take the place of both your primary, and your secondary, switching between them with Y(this is also the only yway you could currently use both weapons and grenades at the same time, as a dual wielded weapon would take the button of grenades)

I also can’t see this as too relevant canon-wise. If you were fighting forerunners i might see them using such a thing, but your fighting highly advanced combat mechs that use almost entirely hardlight-based weaponry. I cant see the “prometheans” using such a weapon.

Interestig concept indeed, im just sad to say it doesn’t fit too well with the rest of the game how it is atm.

I can think of either a revolver-like shots (4 shots to kill if 4th is a headshot), OR it could become the first machine pistol…

> > I have thought about this and decided that Forerunners do not conform to the standard belief of having different weapon classes. I call their main weapon Combat Palms.
> >
> > They fill many different weapon classes’ roles. Combat Palms are a dual wield weapon that consist of a Pulse Palm and a Particle Palm.
> >
> > The Pulse Palm fires a slow moving but medium damage orb with a high battery draw.
> >
> > The Particle Palm fires a fast moving but low damage beam with a low battery draw.
> >
> > Both Palms share a single overheating battery clip.
> >
> > Pulse Orbs stick to environmental objects for 3 seconds before dissipating.
> >
> > Shooting a Pulse Orb causes an explosion.
> >
> > Combat Palms have a 3x scope.
> >
> > Combat Palms fill a CQC, pistol, rifle, explosive, and dual-wield weapon role.
> >
> > Since these weapons are small and palm-mounted grenades can still be thrown while using this special dual wield weapon.
>
> the concept you have is cool, but considering no dual wielding mechanic exists in halo 4, i don’t see this being implemented. Unless of course you mean for them to take the place of both your primary, and your secondary, switching between them with Y(this is also the only yway you could currently use both weapons and grenades at the same time, as a dual wielded weapon would take the button of grenades)
>
> I also can’t see this as too relevant canon-wise. If you were fighting forerunners i might see them using such a thing, but your fighting highly advanced combat mechs that use almost entirely hardlight-based weaponry. I cant see the “prometheans” using such a weapon.
>
> Interestig concept indeed, im just sad to say it doesn’t fit too well with the rest of the game how it is atm.

The way I would setup for dual wielding is:

-permanently bound dual wield weapons (can’t pick up just one weapon or drop just one weapon)

-“Fire Left Weapon” would replace Melee in my button layout

Of course this won’t be implemented. 343 has their vision of Halo and I have mine.

It looks forerunnery and shoots forerunner projectiles.

> > > I have thought about this and decided that Forerunners do not conform to the standard belief of having different weapon classes. I call their main weapon Combat Palms.
> > >
> > > They fill many different weapon classes’ roles. Combat Palms are a dual wield weapon that consist of a Pulse Palm and a Particle Palm.
> > >
> > > The Pulse Palm fires a slow moving but medium damage orb with a high battery draw.
> > >
> > > The Particle Palm fires a fast moving but low damage beam with a low battery draw.
> > >
> > > Both Palms share a single overheating battery clip.
> > >
> > > Pulse Orbs stick to environmental objects for 3 seconds before dissipating.
> > >
> > > Shooting a Pulse Orb causes an explosion.
> > >
> > > Combat Palms have a 3x scope.
> > >
> > > Combat Palms fill a CQC, pistol, rifle, explosive, and dual-wield weapon role.
> > >
> > > Since these weapons are small and palm-mounted grenades can still be thrown while using this special dual wield weapon.
> >
> > the concept you have is cool, but considering no dual wielding mechanic exists in halo 4, i don’t see this being implemented. Unless of course you mean for them to take the place of both your primary, and your secondary, switching between them with Y(this is also the only yway you could currently use both weapons and grenades at the same time, as a dual wielded weapon would take the button of grenades)
> >
> > I also can’t see this as too relevant canon-wise. If you were fighting forerunners i might see them using such a thing, but your fighting highly advanced combat mechs that use almost entirely hardlight-based weaponry. I cant see the “prometheans” using such a weapon.
> >
> > Interestig concept indeed, im just sad to say it doesn’t fit too well with the rest of the game how it is atm.
>
> The way I would setup for dual wielding is:
>
> -permanently bound dual wield weapons (can’t pick up just one weapon or drop just one weapon)
>
> -“Fire Left Weapon” would replace Melee in my button layout
>
> Of course this won’t be implemented. 343 has their vision of Halo and I have mine.

Still an interesting concept. thanks for clearing it up a bit. Though i can see it being widely avoided for lack of melee.

I’ve said the same thing in another thread that seems to be the consensus here: High-damage weapon with low fire rate and mag size. Seeing only two weapons in that slot leaves so much to be desired! If we could get a revolver-esque firearm into Halo, it would be great! Also, it would have to have abysmal accuracy. CQB only and mostly for finishers, not a primary.