Forerunner Capital: Halo 4 planet? (Cryptum spoilers)

In Halo: Cryptum, the Forerunner Capital was composed of massive, circular “platforms” that housed cities. In the event of an attack, the platforms could rotate and form a sphere, enclosing the cities inside a protective shell. The planet shown in the teaser could be the Forerunner capital city.
In this video, at 8:00ish Frankie states that the “planet” is an artificial construct; this fits the description of the Forerunner capital.

It IS just a guess. I went at it from the standpoint of what would make sense within the franchise: something already mentioned, not something from out of left field that might alienate fans. The only other spherical constructs we know of are the Onyx Dyson sphere (debunked) and another shield world. Shield worlds have been done already, so a non-shield world construct would be newer and more interesting. If John is to face his “destiny” and (likely) encounter the Forerunners, the Capital is one of the most convenient places to do so - it’s full of Forerunner stuff. The Capital surviving the Forerunner-Flood War is a difficult problem to look past, but it survived the first attack, and the Forerunner are able to move large constructs like Halo rings, so the Capital could have been moved outside the galaxy, possibly near the Ark, to protect it from the Flood and Halo. Moving large objects like Halo rings and worlds through slipspace causes massive stress on their structure, so it might be difficult or unlikely to transport the Capital. However, by the end of Cryptum, the attack on the Capital left the Ecumene’s government in tatters - hardly in a state to construct another shield world. While it is possible the planet shown by the teaser is a shield world built before the attack on the Capital, the Capital was not destroyed, but remained vulnerable in the Orion complex. While it would cause further damage, I think it would be a smaller loss to preserve what was left of the Capital by transporting it rather than leave it vulnerable as a senseless waste of resources.

I guess this ought to be in Fiction.
Moderators: move if possible. Thanks!

It could be the capital but it doesnt have to be outside the galaxy as Master Chief was in the portal as it collapsed so he couldve come out anywhere

I was under the impression that the portal collapsed BEFORE the back end of the Dawn went through, leaving the Dawn drifting from its previous position just outside the Portal. correct me if I’m wrong.

EDIT: You have a point. Even the Forerunners’ slipspace travel had transit time, so if it cut off before John went through, part of the ship would be in slipspace. Also, the firing of the Halo ring (04b) could have killed John if he wasn’t through also, so you’re probably right.

> In Halo: Cryptum, the Forerunner Capital was composed of massive, circular “platforms” that housed cities. In the event of an attack, the platforms could rotate and form a sphere, enclosing the cities inside a protective shell. The planet shown in the teaser could be the Forerunner capital city.
> In this video, at 8:00ish Frankie states that the “planet” is an artificial construct; this fits the description of the Forerunner capital.
>
> It IS just a guess. I went at it from the standpoint of what would make sense within the franchise: something already mentioned, not something from out of left field that might alienate fans. The only other spherical constructs we know of are the Onyx Dyson sphere (debunked) and another shield world. Shield worlds have been done already, so a non-shield world construct would be newer and more interesting. If John is to face his “destiny” and (likely) encounter the Forerunners, the Capital is one of the most convenient places to do so - it’s full of Forerunner stuff. The Capital surviving the Forerunner-Flood War is a difficult problem to look past, but it survived the first attack, and the Forerunner are able to move large constructs like Halo rings, so the Capital could have been moved outside the galaxy, possibly near the Ark, to protect it from the Flood and Halo. Moving large objects like Halo rings and worlds through slipspace causes massive stress on their structure, so it might be difficult or unlikely to transport the Capital. However, by the end of Cryptum, the attack on the Capital left the Ecumene’s government in tatters - hardly in a state to construct another shield world. While it is possible the planet shown by the teaser is a shield world built before the attack on the Capital, the Capital was not destroyed, but remained vulnerable in the Orion complex. While it would cause further damage, I think it would be a smaller loss to preserve what was left of the Capital by transporting it rather than leave it vulnerable as a senseless waste of resources.

That makes sense.

well I guess it could be either one but my theory is that since arbiter arrived back at earth and the only thing keeping him in slipspace was the portal then the only way he could have made it back was if the portal stayed intact until he exited slipspace unpon which the portal collapsed making MC come out somewhere else. If my understanding of slipslace travel is wrong please tell me

No, abderion, after thinking it through I think you’re right. John was through the Ark end of the portal by the time it collapsed.

This seems like a really good theory, I never thought of it being the capital world… O_O

Thanks, bro. I was just reading over Halo Nation’s articles on Forerunners, and stumbled across the fact that the capital world can fold up into a sphere.
checks Cryptum again
lightbulb
posts thread

John was redirected. It states in Cryptum that if a slipspace potal closes with someone in it, they’re trapped. Forever.
John was obviously NOT trapped, so that means that whoever changed the co-ordinates, knew that both Arby AND the chief were in the Foward unto Dawn, and knew EXACTLY where they were in the ship, hence the seperation of the chief from arby. There is only one ‘person’ who knows exacly where they were so that the ship could be cut in half, seperating Arby and The Chief. Cortana. This leads me to believe that Cortana caused this…and is hiding something Very important. Perhaps cortana absorbed something that may be controlling her and the forerunner artifacts around the duo. I know this is a long shot, but it relates to and older theory on B.Net that hypothesized that perhaps Mendicant Bias is cortana…or rather, Mendicant Bias is in Cortana, controlling what goes on, guiding the two in order to carry out his plan of redemption.

Here’s the link to the old B.Net thread:link
This’ll cause some head scratching, i’m sure.

> John was redirected. It states in Cryptum that if a slipspace potal closes with someone in it, they’re trapped. Forever.
> John was obviously NOT trapped, so that means that whoever changed the co-ordinates, knew that both Arby AND the chief were in the Foward unto Dawn, and knew EXACTLY where they were in the ship, hence the seperation of the chief from arby. There is only one ‘person’ who knows exacly where they were so that the ship could be cut in half, seperating Arby and The Chief. Cortana. This leads me to believe that Cortana caused this…and is hiding something Very important. Perhaps cortana absorbed something that may be controlling her and the forerunner artifacts around the duo. I know this is a long shot, but it relates to and older theory on B.Net that hypothesized that perhaps Mendicant Bias is cortana…or rather, Mendicant Bias is in Cortana, controlling what goes on, guiding the two in order to carry out his plan of redemption.

Dun Dun DUH

Firedune has a GREAT point: I forgot about the terminals entirely. This is the last terminal from the B.net thread, originally posted by Agustus:

You don’t know the contortions I had to go through to follow you here, Reclaimer. I know what you’re here for. What position do I take? Will I follow one betrayal with another?

You’re going to say I’m making a habit of turning on my masters.

But the one that destroyed me long ago, in the upper atmosphere of a world far distant from here, was an implement far cruder than I. My weakness was capacity - unintentional though it was! - to choose the Flood. A mistake my makers would not soon forgive.

But I want something far different from you, Reclaimer.

Atonement.

And so here at the end of my life, I do once again betray a former master. The path ahead is fraught with peril. But I will do all I can to keep it stable - keep you safe. I’m not so foolish to think this will absolve me of my sins. One life hardly balances billions.

But I would have my masters know that I have changed.

And you shall be my example.

That’s Mendicant Bias to Chief (dur.) Thanks Firedune, for clearing up the transportation dilemma.

My guess is that Medicent Bias prob directed them there but I dont know about Cortana “being” Medicent Bias. Maybe you put him back together by accessing the terminals allowing him to store on youre armor systems. A better theory is that he is in the “domain” and allowing you to access it so he can communicate with you, but still has subsystems on the ark that controlled where master chief came out

Yeah, Abderion, I agree. Cortana would likely know if Mendicant was stored within her. However, there is always the Domain. In Halo: Reach’s Data Pads, the Assembly mentions storing themselves in slipspace, possibly the Domain. Mendicant could have done the same to survive?

> Yeah, Abderion, I agree. Cortana would likely know if Mendicant was stored within her. However, there is always the Domain. In Halo: Reach’s Data Pads, the Assembly mentions storing themselves in slipspace, possibly the Domain. Mendicant could have done the same to survive?

Or thats where Offensive Bias stored his fragments for future study

Tru7h.

Throwing in a few random thoughts for our more Cryptum-savvy readers.

1. Does anybody remember when we last heard Faber mentioned? It was at his trial at the Capital, right?
  2. People complained about the lack of diversity among forerunner stuff (Sentinels, forerunners themselves) compared to the many covenant races if they appear as enemies in the games. To be perfectly honest, I disagree; the purpose of the mutations and different rates in Bear’s book likely also serves the purpose of setting them up as different troop types in the game.
    Thoughts?

> Tru7h.
>
> Throwing in a few random thoughts for our more Cryptum-savvy readers.
> 1) Does anybody remember when we last heard Faber mentioned? It was at his trial at the Capital, right?
> 2) People complained about the lack of diversity among forerunner stuff (Sentinels, forerunners themselves) compared to the many covenant races if they appear as enemies in the games. To be perfectly honest, I disagree; the purpose of the mutations and different rates in Bear’s book likely also serves the purpose of setting them up as different troop types in the game.
> Thoughts?

1. Yes

2. Dont understand forerunner troop type idea…

Basically, we fought the Covenant, who had many species to provide a diverse experience in campaign, in which enemies fill different roles on the battlefield, creating a situation to which we must adapt. If the antagonists this time around were forerunner, we would only have, according to some opponents on B.net, one species to fight, and the gameplay would be less varied and interesting than versus the covenant. I realized that the forerunners undergo mutations, which would cause them to have a diverse selection of “types” to fight against.

> Basically, we fought the Covenant, who had many species to provide a diverse experience in campaign, in which enemies fill different roles on the battlefield, creating a situation to which we must adapt. If the antagonists this time around were forerunner, we would only have, according to some opponents on B.net, one species to fight, and the gameplay would be less varied and interesting than versus the covenant. I realized that the forerunners undergo mutations, which would cause them to have a diverse selection of “types” to fight against.

I dont think we would be fighting forerunners…