Forced input matchmaking?

For ranked play I find this to be a foolish thing to implement. When you cut on cross-play you are accepting the fact that you will be matched against PC and vise versa. Aim assist vs Keyboard and mouse is an argument poorly skilled players push when they get beat by a guy with controller and they have the precision advantage with a mouse. Gaming has always been a risk and reward type of thing and in all honesty, cut off Cross-play when you rank. in the blog 343i made it seem like so many console gamers just have a keyboard n mouse and a large enough table to play.

Idk to me its a dumb change and waste of recourses that could have been delegated to something else, like idk ensuring Halo Infinite is a complete game on launch. I feel like 343i needs to focus on what makes Halo appealing, instead of becoming skilled at many but masters of none. Give us a complete game on launch and add all these crazy things in later if it is required.

Ik some people are going to defend this implementation but after playing the MCC with and without Controllers n keyboards, if you are skilled you are skilled if you not then you are not. Never once have I had a problem with a guy on controller with aim assist and same when I used controller vs mouse. I feel like its an artificial problem that 343i took into consideration.

Edit: Just to clarify, I’m not saying that this will end the game or this is why it wont launch in a complete state. When you compare 343i previous work, H5 had unnessicary changes and the game launched incomplete. Halo infinite shows us unnessicary changes time and again, and I don’t want history repeating itself. I want this game to succeed, but I will not ignore red flags when they appear.

I believe it is an Xbox policy that you have to be able to turn off cross play in order to even have it in the first place, so I would expect that Halo Infinite will have an option to turn off cross play completely if you wanted to. Gears 5 let you completely turn off cross play so I would expect that Halo Infinite will follow suit. I’m not completely sure if you are advocating for purely input based matchmaking with cross play or you would just like to have no cross play in ranked at all. I do agree that I personally don’t find matching against keyboard and mouse players in MCC to be too disadvantageous except for maybe in Swat.

I don’t see how implementing a small feature like input based matchmaking in ONE playlist could result in the game being “incomplete” at launch.

I think it’s fine if they make it a toggle, otherwise it’ll suck for people who want to play with each other but use different input controls.

I don’t get how you think this is somehow taking so much time and resources away from the game in general to the point they’re sacrificing launch content though. They have teams with different skill sets dedicated to sections of the game. It’s not like the heads went “alright guys we delayed the game a year, we’re ordering all of you to spend it working on implementing input based matchmaking, I don’t care if there’s only 2 maps at launch”. Don’t mean to sound hostile by the way I just don’t think you have to worry about this drastically affecting launch content.

> 2533274927740213;3:
> I don’t see how implementing a small feature like input based matchmaking in ONE playlist could result in the game being “incomplete” at launch.

You didnt understand what I was saying at all, and im not even going to try to explain it to you.

> 2533275031939856;4:
> I think it’s fine if they make it a toggle, otherwise it’ll suck for people who want to play with each other but use different input controls.
>
> I don’t get how you think this is somehow taking so much time and resources away from the game in general to the point they’re sacrificing launch content though. They have teams with different skill sets dedicated to sections of the game. It’s not like the heads went “alright guys we delayed the game a year, we’re ordering all of you to spend it working on implementing input based matchmaking, I don’t care if there’s only 2 maps at launch”. Don’t mean to sound hostile by the way I just don’t think you have to worry about this drastically affecting launch content.

Thank you, iI have family on console while I’m on PC. I want to play with them because we always play Halo together. Now when we rank I wont be able to, which sucks and I never asked for this type of limitation.

And what I was saying is instead of focusing on things no one asked for and unnessicary changes, a complete game on launch is something we all would rather hear.

> 2533274866022405;2:
> I believe it is an Xbox policy that you have to be able to turn off cross play in order to even have it in the first place, so I would expect that Halo Infinite will have an option to turn off cross play completely if you wanted to. Gears 5 let you completely turn off cross play so I would expect that Halo Infinite will follow suit. I’m not completely sure if you are advocating for purely input based matchmaking with cross play or you would just like to have no cross play in ranked at all. I do agree that I personally don’t find matching against keyboard and mouse players in MCC to be too disadvantageous except for maybe in Swat.

So what im saying is for those who dont want to be matched with lets say keyboard n mouse while ranking, they could simply cut off cross-play. 343i should not limit player accessibility in the event that someone complains about different inputs, when the feature already exists to limit their matchmaking if they so desire.

All this is doing is isolating me and many others who have family and friends on console and they want to rank together.

> 2533274902469708;6:
> > 2533275031939856;4:
> > I think it’s fine if they make it a toggle, otherwise it’ll suck for people who want to play with each other but use different input controls.
> >
> > I don’t get how you think this is somehow taking so much time and resources away from the game in general to the point they’re sacrificing launch content though. They have teams with different skill sets dedicated to sections of the game. It’s not like the heads went “alright guys we delayed the game a year, we’re ordering all of you to spend it working on implementing input based matchmaking, I don’t care if there’s only 2 maps at launch”. Don’t mean to sound hostile by the way I just don’t think you have to worry about this drastically affecting launch content.
>
> Thank you, iI have family on console while I’m on PC. I want to play with them because we always play Halo together. Now when we rank I wont be able to, which sucks and I never asked for this type of limitation.

Yes exactly. I have cousins that are excited to play Halo but they’re on PC while I’m on xbox. At least we can play social together but they should really let you choose yourself if you care about mixing inputs or not. I can see this frustrating a lot of people if you can’t toggle it so hopefully if it’s not a toggle at launch, it will be soon after.

> 2533275031939856;8:
> > 2533274902469708;6:
> > > 2533275031939856;4:
> > > I
>
> Yes exactly. I have cousins that are excited to play Halo but they’re on PC while I’m on xbox. At least we can play social together but they should really let you choose yourself if you care about mixing inputs or not. I can see this frustrating a lot of people if you can’t toggle it so hopefully if it’s not a toggle at launch, it will be soon after.

They might remove it, if we push back against it. I truly find this to be useless since there is already an option to turn off cross-play.

> 2533274902469708;5:
> > 2533274927740213;3:
> > I don’t see how implementing a small feature like input based matchmaking in ONE playlist could result in the game being “incomplete” at launch.
>
> You didnt understand what I was saying at all, and im not even going to try to explain it to you.

if you’re not willing to further clarify your meaning, don’t post anything. The forum is for discussion and if you’re not willing to discuss and expand your initial point, it no longer becomes a discussion.

As for the topic, imo ranked needs to be input restricted when it comes to matchmaking. Given ranked is meant to be the most competitive playlist, everything needs to be as similar as possible between the players. Given devs can control for input/tools used, they decided to take that route which is something I agree with.

It will be interesting to see what 343 do with the competitive scene. I imagine they will go all in on the controllers to push/support the Series X. Just as long as it’s made very clear at the start so that people who want to excel (I wish) know which side their bread is buttered on.

Different Inputs have different advantages, I 100% Agree with separating RANKED playlists by input. Also controller have Aim Assist and Bullet magnetism which Keyboard does not have. There is no skill in having a game aim for you, that’s just reality. Also I feel like you are just trolling so gr8 b8 m8.

> 2533274948220507;12:
> There is no skill in having a game aim for you, that’s just reality.

You can’t sit there and say OP is putting Bait out and at the same time put this stuff in your post. You know that the amount of magnetism and auto aim in Halo games of the past did not mean they didn’t take skill to play.

<mark>This post has been edited by a moderator. Please refrain from making non-constructive posts.</mark>
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.

> 2533274840624875;10:
> > 2533274902469708;5:
> > > 2533274927740213;3:
> > > I don’t see how implementing a small feature like input based matchmaking in ONE playlist could result in the game being “incomplete” at launch.
> >
> > You didnt understand what I was saying at all, and im not even going to try to explain it to you.
>
> if you’re not willing to further clarify your meaning, don’t post anything. The forum is for discussion and if you’re not willing to discuss and expand your initial point, it no longer becomes a discussion.
>
> As for the topic, imo ranked needs to be input restricted when it comes to matchmaking. Given ranked is meant to be the most competitive playlist, everything needs to be as similar as possible between the players. Given devs can control for input/tools used, they decided to take that route which is something I agree with.

If you can’t read then that’s not on me, which isn’t surprising that you would agree with such a unnessicary change.

> 2533274902469708;6:
> > 2533275031939856;4:
> > I think it’s fine if they make it a toggle, otherwise it’ll suck for people who want to play with each other but use different input controls.
> >
> > I don’t get how you think this is somehow taking so much time and resources away from the game in general to the point they’re sacrificing launch content though. They have teams with different skill sets dedicated to sections of the game. It’s not like the heads went “alright guys we delayed the game a year, we’re ordering all of you to spend it working on implementing input based matchmaking, I don’t care if there’s only 2 maps at launch”. Don’t mean to sound hostile by the way I just don’t think you have to worry about this drastically affecting launch content.
>
> And what I was saying is instead of focusing on things no one asked for

You cannot state as fact that no one asked for this. You are wrong on that point. Players have been asking for input based matchmaking for a long time. Fortnite was adding it back in 2018 if I recall correctly, I know many Gears players asked for it and I know it’s a feature that some Halo fans want too. I also want that option and I know players that do and don’t.

> 2533274927740213;3:
> I don’t see how implementing a small feature like input based matchmaking in ONE playlist could result in the game being “incomplete” at launch.

Except it’s not ONE playlist, It’s ALL ranked playlists, But I agree with the last part of that statement.

Honestly the best thing they can do is also have mixed ranked playlists ontop of the normal input restricted playlists for ranked.

> 2533274811807878;16:
> > 2533274927740213;3:
> > I don’t see how implementing a small feature like input based matchmaking in ONE playlist could result in the game being “incomplete” at launch.
>
> Except it’s not ONE playlist, It’s ALL ranked playlists, But I agree with the last part of that statement.
>
> Honestly the best thing they can do is also have mixed ranked playlists ontop of the normal input restricted playlists for ranked.

All that would do is further fracture an already reduced playerbase. Ranked is already a playlist that the majority of the community avoids, by making the playlists further split by input-based and non-input based would make finding a game much harder than it should be.

> 2592250499819446;15:
> > 2533274902469708;6:
> > > 2533275031939856;4:
> > > I think it’s fine if they make it a toggle, otherwise it’ll suck for people who want to play with each other but use different input controls.
> > >
> > > I don’t get how you think this is somehow taking so much time and resources away from the game in general to the point they’re sacrificing launch content though. They have teams with different skill sets dedicated to sections of the game. It’s not like the heads went “alright guys we delayed the game a year, we’re ordering all of you to spend it working on implementing input based matchmaking, I don’t care if there’s only 2 maps at launch”. Don’t mean to sound hostile by the way I just don’t think you have to worry about this drastically affecting launch content.
> >
> > And what I was saying is instead of focusing on things no one asked for
>
> You cannot state as fact that no one asked for this. You are wrong on that point. Players have been asking for input based matchmaking for a long time. Fortnite was adding it back in 2018 if I recall correctly, I know many Gears players asked for it and I know it’s a feature that some Halo fans want too. I also want that option and I know players that do and don’t.

Cut off cross-play and there you go.

> 2533274948220507;12:
> Different Inputs have different advantages, I 100% Agree with separating RANKED playlists by input. Also controller have Aim Assist and Bullet magnetism which Keyboard does not have. There is no skill in having a game aim for you, that’s just reality. Also I feel like you are just trolling so gr8 b8 m8.

Then we might as well separate ranked based on the player’s chosen layout as well if we are going off of this logic.

> 2533274927740213;17:
> > 2533274811807878;16:
> > > 2533274927740213;3:
> > > I don’t see how implementing a small feature like input based matchmaking in ONE playlist could result in the game being “incomplete” at launch.
> >
> > Except it’s not ONE playlist, It’s ALL ranked playlists, But I agree with the last part of that statement.
> >
> > Honestly the best thing they can do is also have mixed ranked playlists ontop of the normal input restricted playlists for ranked.
>
> All that would do is further fracture an already reduced playerbase. Ranked is already a playlist that the majority of the community avoids, by making the playlists further split by input-based and non-input based would make finding a game much harder than it should be.

So you think splitting people from their friends in ranked also won’t help reduce the playerbase of the game lmao?(For myself personally i’m a controller kid for halo because of almost 20 years of halo on controller it’s kind of burned into your brain lmao) But now I have to gimp myself and play on MnK for ranked with my friends.

More people will play/stay if they can consistently play with their friends. But splitting it for ranked is only going to hurt that aswell.