For those of you demanding an M Rating so badly

Just about every other time I come on this section of the forums, I keep seeing a new thread demanding the game to be rated M. For those of you who keep calling for that, please understand that it doesn’t make much of a difference if you think about it. Halo Combat Evolved was almost rated T and look how successful it was. The ESRB thought twice because of the stronger language it had which ultimately led to the M rating. Halo 5 on the other hand had a slightly stronger story drive which played a part and I believe at one point Microsoft was in 343’s ear to ensure the game had a wider audience appeal which led to them toning back on the language for a milder one.

Mostly agree, for the most part all Halos have been right on the edge where they could be rated either way
Though at the same time, it does feel kinda odd shooting other Spartans in Halo 5 multiplayer with no blood effects whatsoever

Yeah, I don’t know why so many people buy into this narrative that 343 goes out of their way to dumb down their games in order to attain a T rating from the ESRB. It’s ridiculous when you consider:

• Halo games have always been T material. It’s just that sometimes small details such as red-colored blood (there was lots of alien blood in Halo 5, it just wasn’t red), Flood gore, or Dr. Tillson getting composed will push it slightly over the threshold to an M rating. And I’ve heard that even the M-rated Halo games have gotten the equivalent of a T rating in foreign rating systems. - I know 343 has made their share of mistakes but they aren’t THAT stupid. If anything, I wouldn’t be surprised if they are scrambling to include any small detail that would push Halo Infinite over to an M rating just to shut up all these people who actually believe they would go out of their way to dumb it down for a T rating.

> 2533274904158628;3:
> red-colored blood, Flood gore, or Dr. Tillson getting composed will push it slightly over the threshold

A bigger factor may have been that earlier games included “language”, words like damn and hell which are absent from the newer ones

> 2533274819029930;4:
> > 2533274904158628;3:
> > red-colored blood, Flood gore, or Dr. Tillson getting composed will push it slightly over the threshold
>
> A bigger factor may have been that earlier games included “language”, words like damn and hell which are absent from the newer ones

Buck says “damn” and “hell” in Halo 5 if I’m not mistaken.
As for the rating, I really could not care less. It does not bother me at all and I think it is quite “easy” to make a game M rated, just have to add a line of dialogue, but I guess there’s much more thought into the game rating than people think and if 343 decides to make it 16, it is for a business reason probably.

> 2533275010793662;5:
> > 2533274819029930;4:
> > > 2533274904158628;3:
> > > red-colored blood, Flood gore, or Dr. Tillson getting composed will push it slightly over the threshold
> >
> > A bigger factor may have been that earlier games included “language”, words like damn and hell which are absent from the newer ones
>
> Buck says “damn” and “hell” in Halo 5 if I’m not mistaken.
> As for the rating, I really could not care less. It does not bother me at all and I think it is quite “easy” to make a game M rated, just have to add a line of dialogue, but I guess there’s much more thought into the game rating than people think and if 343 decides to make it 16, it is for a business reason probably.

I know the announcer Buck was a DLC so it may be exempt from rating requirements.

> 2535453407941985;6:
> > 2533275010793662;5:
> > > 2533274819029930;4:
> > > > 2533274904158628;3:
> > > > red-colored blood, Flood gore, or Dr. Tillson getting composed will push it slightly over the threshold
> > >
> > > A bigger factor may have been that earlier games included “language”, words like damn and hell which are absent from the newer ones
> >
> > Buck says “damn” and “hell” in Halo 5 if I’m not mistaken.
> > As for the rating, I really could not care less. It does not bother me at all and I think it is quite “easy” to make a game M rated, just have to add a line of dialogue, but I guess there’s much more thought into the game rating than people think and if 343 decides to make it 16, it is for a business reason probably.
>
> I know the announcer Buck was a DLC so it may be exempt from rating requirements.

“We get through this, I’ll buy the whole damn bar”
Buck says this at the beggining of the Battle of Sunaion level in Halo 5, so that line was there since the beggining. It is a pretty good line by the way.
Guess this word does not is classified as strong to be M rated.

Halo for the most part has gotten M ratings in the past due to language and excessive blood effects (in CE you could literally paint walls blue, purple, and red). Also keep in mind that the ESRB has toned back their rating system to allow for stronger language in lower rated games. Even games that use words like “damn” and “hell” have gotten E10+ and T ratings in the past. Plus, toning down blood effects from past titles was likely a compromise made for performance. Flood gore is debatable, but I’d wager that it looks more like “goop” and yellow chunks rather than actual blood and gore, and like I said, ESRB has become more relaxed overall in the past twenty years.

> 2533275010793662;7:
> > 2535453407941985;6:
> > > 2533275010793662;5:
> > > > 2533274819029930;4:
> > > > > 2533274904158628;3:
> > > > > red-colored blood, Flood gore, or Dr. Tillson getting composed will push it slightly over the threshold
> > > >
> > > > A bigger factor may have been that earlier games included “language”, words like damn and hell which are absent from the newer ones
> > >
> > > Buck says “damn” and “hell” in Halo 5 if I’m not mistaken.
> > > As for the rating, I really could not care less. It does not bother me at all and I think it is quite “easy” to make a game M rated, just have to add a line of dialogue, but I guess there’s much more thought into the game rating than people think and if 343 decides to make it 16, it is for a business reason probably.
> >
> > I know the announcer Buck was a DLC so it may be exempt from rating requirements.
>
> “We get through this, I’ll buy the whole damn bar”
> Buck says this at the beggining of the Battle of Sunaion level in Halo 5, so that line was there since the beggining. It is a pretty good line by the way.
> Guess this word does not is classified as strong to be M rated.

Yeah, I know PG-13 movies don’t get rated R unless they use the f-bomb a bunch. I’d imagine video games would be similar.

I guess I forgot about that level.