For the millionth time Jorge says ma'am, not mom.

In Halo Reach, I keep hearing people say that Jorge said “mom”. He didnt. Turn on subtitles. He says ma’am. But, if Jorge had actually said mom, do realise that Halsey is not his mom. Jorge was kidnapped at a young age, just like the other SPARTAN-II’s. He might’ve refered to Halsey as “mom” because she couldve been a mother figure to him. But do know, Jorge didnt say “mom”, he said “ma’am”.

Either or. Even though he said Maam.
The misheard line doesn’t effect badly on anything(other than a few people who arn’t versed in the lore of the spartans well misunderstanding)
Cause Mom still makes sense in context.

:slight_smile:

really… people actually think he says mom.
maybe its becuase im british and to us ma’am sounds diffrent to mum

Jorge definitely said Ma’am. Never heard anyone say otherwise but honestly, I don’t really doubt people would think he did. I remember people thinking Scorch from Republic commando was actually a girl because it sounded like the Advisor said She.

To be fair, Halsey is a mother figure to all SPARTAN-IIs

Ma’am not Mum.

Jun as in June.

Emile, not an E followed by the word Mile.

Zealot, not Zeelot.

I’ve dealt with all of these. The worst offender being that one guy that thought you could see the FUD’s wreckage in the background during Halsey’s speech at the end of Reach. This was post Halo 4, in fact we were playing Spartan ops during this conversation so he should have known full well what the actual story was. He then went on to tell me about how the novels weren’t cannon and that Bungie and 343 only make them to trick us out of our money and that writers like Eric Nylund and Greg Bear are just people who work at Microsoft who wrote quick stories between using our personal information for evil. I don’t talk to this person anymore and that has nothing to particularly do with this but looking back I don’t think I’m missing out on that much without him.

I don’t know why but Reach caused a lot of confusion with so many people for no apparent reason. I envy anyone who has never had to deal with any of this.

People actually think that?

LOL

> 2535473152030881;6:
> Ma’am not Mum.
>
> Jun as in June.
>
> Emile, not an E followed by the word Mile.
>
> Zealot, not Zeelot.
>
> I’ve dealt with all of these. The worst offender being that one guy that thought you could see the FUD’s wreckage in the background during Halsey’s speech at the end of Reach. This was post Halo 4, in fact we were playing Spartan ops during this conversation so he should have known full well what the actual story was. He then went on to tell me about how the novels weren’t cannon and that Bungie and 343 only make them to trick us out of our money and that writers like Eric Nylund and Greg Bear are just people who work at Microsoft who wrote quick stories between using our personal information for evil. I don’t talk to this person anymore and that has nothing to particularly do with this but looking back I don’t think I’m missing out on that much without him.
>
> I don’t know why but Reach caused a lot of confusion with so many people for no apparent reason. I envy anyone who has never had to deal with any of this.

You ran into that guy as well? I honestly think those guys are far worse then the ones you see on the MCC/Halo 5 forums. Sure they make a lot of hate threads and stuff, but that’s just because they don’t like the issues or something small made large by vocal outcry. These guys are talking about the universe like they know everything when they don’t.

It is an easy mistake to make, but I think people shouldn’t make a big deal about it. It does sound a teeny bit like ‘‘mum.’’

> 2535473152030881;6:
> Ma’am not Mum.
>
> Jun as in June.
>
> Emile, not an E followed by the word Mile.
>
> Zealot, not Zeelot.
>
> I’ve dealt with all of these. The worst offender being that one guy that thought you could see the FUD’s wreckage in the background during Halsey’s speech at the end of Reach. This was post Halo 4, in fact we were playing Spartan ops during this conversation so he should have known full well what the actual story was. He then went on to tell me about how the novels weren’t cannon and that Bungie and 343 only make them to trick us out of our money and that writers like Eric Nylund and Greg Bear are just people who work at Microsoft who wrote quick stories between using our personal information for evil. I don’t talk to this person anymore and that has nothing to particularly do with this but looking back I don’t think I’m missing out on that much without him.
>
> I don’t know why but Reach caused a lot of confusion with so many people for no apparent reason. I envy anyone who has never had to deal with any of this.

Then what was that ship in the background to the left, it looked like a blue beam was coming from it

> 2535440371103026;1:
> In Halo Reach, I keep hearing people say that Jorge said “mom”. He didnt. Turn on subtitles. He says ma’am. But, if Jorge had actually said mom, do realise that Halsey is not his mom. Jorge was kidnapped at a young age, just like the other SPARTAN-II’s. He might’ve refered to Halsey as “mom” because she couldve been a mother figure to him. But do know, Jorge didnt say “mom”, he said “ma’am”.

Well, He’s a Spartan-II so technically Halsey IS like a mom to him

I could understand the confusion, but he definitely says “ma’am.” Still, I agree with some of the other posters noting that it doesn’t really change the story, and sort of makes sense in the context presented to the audience.

<mark>This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not post inappropriate content.</mark>
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.

He says, “Mom.” Deal with it -Yoink- wipes. I’ve got Hungarian friends and ma’am doesn’t sound like Mom. It sounds like mum. You -Yoink- hats

I feel dumb

As best as I can describe it with the International Phonetic Alphabet (IPA),
In my accent, “Ma’am” uses the American " æ ", and “Mom” said with the American " ɒ " sound
George says “Ma’am” with the British " ɑ: " sound, which sound more similar to the American " ɒ ", than it does the American " æ ", which is why some people hear it as “mom” and others as “ma’am”.

(The link is to the page for the IPA, with sound clips you can listen to for each)

[deleted]

First time I heard mom and I wasn’t suprised because the next line is ‘what did you do with my armor’. Spartan II’s see her as mother because she raised them. She cares for them and she mostly cares for Master Chief, her reactions in Spartan Ops and Halo 5 show that.

When I first heard it I did think he meant mom,but after learning that other countries pronounce ma’am as mom I realized he meant ma’am

Please don’t revive old topics thanks