For Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary, Fix the Checkpoints!

So I began playing Halo 1 again in order to try and refresh my brain. I figure it’s better to play it now then a few weeks before the new version comes out. But while playing the campaign I realized how bad the checkpoints are in this game. It is so much more difficult and frustrating to earn a checkpoint in this game as apposed to Halo Reach.

In my opinion this doesn’t make the game any more challenging, it just adds a stressor. Therefore, I think the original Checkpoint system should be updated to match modern Halo standards.

I’ve never had a problem with them. Also they will not be changed because the checkpoints are an integral part of some of the glitches from CE and they already said they are trying to make sure that all the glitches still work.

The checkpoints in H:CE are perfectly fine. Admittedly, there are less checkpoints and they are further apart. But that’s not a problem, not even on legendary.

And to be honest, I never had the problem of getting a checkpoint in H:CE where I was basically dead and under fire like I got them in H2, H3, ODST, and Reach. Because THAT is really annoying.

CE’s checkpoints were rock solid.

Now 3 and Reach. Those were unacceptable. I got checkpoints when I didn’t want them and didn’t get checkpoints when I needed them.

It would help immensely if they put checkpoint prerequisites next to the objectives. Just look at Halo Wars. The objectives are listed conveniently and they are really specific.

> I’ve never had a problem with them. Also they will not be changed because the checkpoints are an integral part of some of the glitches from CE and they already said they are trying to make sure that all the glitches still work.

So breaking the game is more important than the game’s functionality?

And to everyone who is saying the checkpoint system is fine: No. It. Is. Not. The checkpoint system is a broken mess.

> > I’ve never had a problem with them. Also they will not be changed because the checkpoints are an integral part of some of the glitches from CE and they already said they are trying to make sure that all the glitches still work.
>
> So breaking the game is more important than the game’s functionality?
>
> And to everyone who is saying the checkpoint system is fine: No. It. Is. Not. The checkpoint system is a broken mess.

Glitches we so fun to do and freezing the A.I. was the -Yoink!-. Have you even played Halo CE to the fullest? Check points are fine they were never a problem even on Legendary.

> > > I’ve never had a problem with them. Also they will not be changed because the checkpoints are an integral part of some of the glitches from CE and they already said they are trying to make sure that all the glitches still work.
> >
> > So breaking the game is more important than the game’s functionality?
> >
> > And to everyone who is saying the checkpoint system is fine: No. It. Is. Not. The checkpoint system is a broken mess.
>
> Glitches we so fun to do and freezing the A.I. was the -Yoink!-. Have you even played Halo CE to the fullest? Check points are fine they were never a problem even on Legendary.

They’re a problem if you play through extremely quickly. Some checkpoints don’t load if you’re going too fast. The best example would be the Two Betrayals checkpoint system.

> > > > I’ve never had a problem with them. Also they will not be changed because the checkpoints are an integral part of some of the glitches from CE and they already said they are trying to make sure that all the glitches still work.
> > >
> > > So breaking the game is more important than the game’s functionality?
> > >
> > > And to everyone who is saying the checkpoint system is fine: No. It. Is. Not. The checkpoint system is a broken mess.
> >
> > Glitches we so fun to do and freezing the A.I. was the -Yoink!-. Have you even played Halo CE to the fullest? Check points are fine they were never a problem even on Legendary.
>
> They’re a problem if you play through extremely quickly. Some checkpoints don’t load if you’re going too fast. The best example would be the Two Betrayals checkpoint system.

well you just took charge didn’t you?

their is no problem with the checkpoints, in Reach or Halo 3 I got checkpoints while I was dead and the screen was blacked out,

GETTING to a checkpoint without dying is the point of checkpoints, they are spaced out perfectly so you are ever concious of your Health and sheilds but not overly so such as going through half the level without a single one.

I dont know about you but I enjoyed playing the game on Legendary, WITHOUT problems with checkpoints

You guys are ridiculous. Halo 3 and afterwards had a good checkpoint system. Halo 1 was also good for mostly the entire game EXCEPT for Two Betrayals. Although easily the best level in the whole series, the checkpoints on that level were a mess. Halo 2 has terrible checkpoints. They just refuse to come and it is quite frustrating on Legendary since Halo 2 did have the most difficult Legendary.

What was even worse is that after dying 5 or 6 times right after a checkpoint repeatedly, you could be taken back to a previous checkpoint. Once I was taken back 2 checkpoints in Halo 2 a couple of years ago and it was quite infuriating.

The only problem I’ve had with Halo CE’s checkpoints, is on The Maw. Blowing up the fusion reactors and making it half way through the Warthog run and then dying… only to be reset back to the fusion reactors again.

Pissed me off so much on Legendary.

ITT people blined by nostalgia

the checkpoints should be fixed imo. some of them are atrocious.

however, fixing some vehicle mechanics is more important. drivable wraith and boosting to name a few.

I don’t understand you people, you ask for a perfect remake were nothing is changed but the Graphics and now you want something changed that has been fine for the 10 years the game has been out.

The Checkpoints, as the name suggests, are meant to be checkpoints, not kill one small group of enemies and get a ‘save’.

> ITT people blined by nostalgia
>
> the checkpoints should be fixed imo. some of them are atrocious.
>
> however, fixing some vehicle mechanics is more important. drivable wraith and boosting to name a few.

It’s a remake of COMBAT EVOLED not halo 2 on. We don’t need those crap mechanics that ruined the series, I hate boost, and driving the wraith would be too easy.

they are not messing with the orginal code. sorry get over it

> > ITT people blined by nostalgia
> >
> > the checkpoints should be fixed imo. some of them are atrocious.
> >
> > however, fixing some vehicle mechanics is more important. drivable wraith and boosting to name a few.
>
> It’s a remake of COMBAT EVOLED not halo 2 on. We don’t need those crap mechanics that ruined the series, I hate boost, and driving the wraith would be too easy.

2/10

> I don’t understand you people, you ask for a perfect remake were nothing is changed but the Graphics and now you want something changed that has been fine for the 10 years the game has been out.
>
> The Checkpoints, as the name suggests, are meant to be checkpoints, not kill one small group of enemies and get a ‘save’.

Not everyone asked for a port of a broken game on a primitive engine.

> they are not messing with the orginal code. sorry get over it

WRONG!

Pre-ordering the game make every grunt explode, so yes, they are changing the code. If they are fixing it or not is unknown.

> > they are not messing with the orginal code. sorry get over it
>
> WRONG!
>
> Pre-ordering the game make every grunt explode, so yes, they are changing the code. If they are fixing it or not is unknown.

This

> I’ve never had a problem with them. Also they will not be changed because the checkpoints are an integral part of some of the glitches from CE and they already said they are trying to make sure that all the glitches still work.

That’s right. They can’t take away my frozen Grunts, it’s one of the main reasons I keep playing AotCR over and over again.

> > I’ve never had a problem with them. Also they will not be changed because the checkpoints are an integral part of some of the glitches from CE and they already said they are trying to make sure that all the glitches still work.
>
> That’s right. They can’t take away my frozen Grunts, it’s one of the main reasons I keep playing AotCR over and over again.

Glitches are actually supposed to be fixed with remakes

I don’t remember seeing missingno in pokemon fire red