For all those who despise sprint.

For all those people who claim that sprint destroys game-play because you get away too easily etc.

I have recently started getting into Halo 3 again because Reach is too bland for my liking and not having sprint did not determine weather someone got away or not, it is a matter of how well you aim, all of this rubbish about it lets you run away from mistakes is way to exaggerated and it’s getting really tedious, yes sprint makes players feel that they need to flunk out earlier, meaning battles aren’t as intense and people don’t rely on their pure skill to make kills, but it does not ruin game-play in the way people are describing.

A number of other things did that, with a little contribution from sprint, yes. But it was the whole Reach mechanics that created that feeling, the fact that Reach mechanics are naturally slow makes an ability like sprint stand out even more, becuase it is needed to get around in Halo Reach. If Halo 4 is a much more fast paced game than any of the previous Halos, then sprint should only be used to cover huge distances to aid teammates in a hot spot, I honestly believe that.

Yes, sprint does not belong in any previous Halos because of their play-ability, but I believe that sprint has a place in Halo 4 and I know 343 will make it work. I just wish these words were enough to suffice all the people who hate sprint. All I can ask is that you guys just give it a chance and don’t write it off just yet.

Well first, the simple fix for the “getting away easily,” problem (which isn’t a real problem,) is simply to lower the kill times. Faster kill times is something which should be implemented anyway.

But I think people would be alright with sprint once they saw it integrated well rather than clumsily as it was in Reach. Don’t make it a privilege via AA, make it standard issue.

> Well first, the simple fix for the “getting away easily,” problem (which isn’t a real problem,) is simply to lower the kill times. Faster kill times is something which should be implemented anyway.
>
> But I think people would be alright with sprint once they saw it integrated well rather than clumsily as it was in Reach. Don’t make it a privilege via AA, make it standard issue.

Exactly it should be default, along with other armor permutations.

> Well first, the simple fix for the “getting away easily,” problem (which isn’t a real problem,) is simply to lower the kill times. Faster kill times is something which should be implemented anyway.
>
> But I think people would be alright with sprint once they saw it integrated well rather than clumsily as it was in Reach. Don’t make it a privilege via AA, make it standard issue.

Faster kill times…
You do realize this is a HALO forum, right?
Halo’s known for slow-kill times…

> The inclusion of Sprint impacts map design negatively.
> Suddenly we end up with stretches of no man’s land in order to give players time to get shots on sprinting players, and this then has a knock on effect for the players who want to play some real Halo and remove the gimmicks by messing up map flow.
>
> Sprint offers no positives to the game - it’s nothing but a crutch to help prop a player back up after a poor decision or a way to invalidate a couple of seconds of the respawn time by rushing straight back into the battle. It hurts flow above all else, and seeing sprinting in Halo just draws parallels to a lot of modern FPS games, however it works in those games because of the quick killtimes and instant respawns. As mentioned previously Halo is a game about control, and giving players the ability to have bursts of speed on a whim negatively impacts the ability to control a game by making it less predictable.
>
> Predictability is the most important aspect of competition and sprint allows people to make themselves unpredictable without even trying, thus lowering the skill and intelligence needed to outplay another team or player mentality. As a player I find it insulting to my intelligence be given an easy mode button like that; I don’t want answers thrust upon me, I want to figure it out myself. Hence Sprint does indeed reduce the depth of the game, particularly from a mental standpoint.

>

Did you know that one of the most important things that makes Halo so unique is slow kill-times? If you want faster kill-times sprint, any other game can give you that.

Halo is unique, and we’d like to keep it that way.

Keep it simple!

I see sprint has become one of those topics where everyone on one side has atrocious spelling, grammar and logic while the other side is articulate.

The schism lines in the halo community are funny. Honestly seems like those who are 14 and below vs those who are 14 and above a lot of the time.

> For all those people who claim that sprint destroys game-play because you get away too easily etc.
>
> I have recently started getting into Halo 3 again because Reach is too bland for my liking and not having sprint did not determine weather someone got away or not, it is a matter of how well you aim, all of this rubbish about it lets you run away from mistakes is way to exaggerated and it’s getting really tedious, yes sprint makes players feel that they need to flunk out earlier, meaning battles aren’t as intense and people don’t rely on their pure skill to make kills, but it does not ruin game-play in the way people are describing.
>
> A number of other things did that, with a little contribution from sprint, yes. But it was the whole Reach mechanics that created that feeling, the fact that Reach mechanics are naturally slow makes an ability like sprint stand out even more, becuase it is needed to get around in Halo Reach. If Halo 4 is a much more fast paced game than any of the previous Halos, then sprint should only be used to cover huge distances to aid teammates in a hot spot, I honestly believe that.
>
> Yes, sprint does not belong in any previous Halos because of their play-ability, but I believe that sprint has a place in Halo 4 and I know 343 will make it work. I just wish these words were enough to suffice all the people who hate sprint. All I can ask is that you guys just give it a chance and don’t write it off just yet.

90% of us who want sprint out have near flawless aim. Just because you can’t hit them/kill before they sprint away and it doesn’t make a difference to you, doesn’t mean it’s true for everyone (and I am hear to tell you that it isn’t that way for everyone).

And no, “flunking out earlier” has no relevance to the problems with sprint, nor the intensity of battles.

If you don’t rely on skill for kills what do you rely on? Luck? Randomness?

Again, you clearly have very little knowledge about how better players play the game, meaning that your opinion on the matter is invalid.

Part of the problem with sprint is that you can “aid teammates in a hot spot”. Your team mate should die because of your poor positioning, not be saved because you could move at 150% speed to come save him. Now, this is one of the lesser problems with sprint, and this really only applies to the highest tier of competitive play, but that doesn’t mean it isn’t factual.

No one is writing it off, we are voicing our concerns and making sure that 343 knows that if they do what we think they’re going to do that the game is going to suck.

Also, if you care enough to further understand WHY sprint is detrimental to competitive play, please see this post.

> Don’t make it a privilege via AA, make it standard issue.

This makes it more of a problem, it doesn’t alleviate it.

> > Well first, the simple fix for the “getting away easily,” problem (which isn’t a real problem,) is simply to lower the kill times. Faster kill times is something which should be implemented anyway.
> >
> > But I think people would be alright with sprint once they saw it integrated well rather than clumsily as it was in Reach. Don’t make it a privilege via AA, make it standard issue.
>
> Faster kill times…
> You do realize this is a HALO forum, right?
> Halo’s known for slow-kill times…

No one is saying CoD kill times are what we need. We saying that battles need to be restored to their 2-5 second lengths, not the 3-10 second times of Reach. And that’s at mid range, go long range and things get even worse.

So which side is the illiterate one?

Exactly.

Sprint isn’t a make it, break it feature… I honestly liked it. Except when people used the damn energy sword run…

I don’t understand why everyone’s freaking out.
-TW

> > Well first, the simple fix for the “getting away easily,” problem (which isn’t a real problem,) is simply to lower the kill times. Faster kill times is something which should be implemented anyway.
> >
> > But I think people would be alright with sprint once they saw it integrated well rather than clumsily as it was in Reach. Don’t make it a privilege via AA, make it standard issue.
>
> Faster kill times…
> You do realize this is a HALO forum, right?
> Halo’s known for slow-kill times…

thank you. slower kill times is what made halo mm. if you want faster kill times go play CoD or crysis

> > For all those people who claim that sprint destroys game-play because you get away too easily etc.
> >
> > I have recently started getting into Halo 3 again because Reach is too bland for my liking and not having sprint did not determine weather someone got away or not, it is a matter of how well you aim, all of this rubbish about it lets you run away from mistakes is way to exaggerated and it’s getting really tedious, yes sprint makes players feel that they need to flunk out earlier, meaning battles aren’t as intense and people don’t rely on their pure skill to make kills, but it does not ruin game-play in the way people are describing.
> >
> > A number of other things did that, with a little contribution from sprint, yes. But it was the whole Reach mechanics that created that feeling, the fact that Reach mechanics are naturally slow makes an ability like sprint stand out even more, becuase it is needed to get around in Halo Reach. If Halo 4 is a much more fast paced game than any of the previous Halos, then sprint should only be used to cover huge distances to aid teammates in a hot spot, I honestly believe that.
> >
> > Yes, sprint does not belong in any previous Halos because of their play-ability, but I believe that sprint has a place in Halo 4 and I know 343 will make it work. I just wish these words were enough to suffice all the people who hate sprint. All I can ask is that you guys just give it a chance and don’t write it off just yet.
>
> 90% of us who want sprint out have near flawless aim. Just because you can’t hit them/kill before they sprint away and it doesn’t make a difference to you, doesn’t mean it’s true for everyone (and I am hear to tell you that it isn’t that way for everyone).
>
> And no, <mark>“flunking out earlier” has no relevance to the problems with sprint, nor the intensity of battles.</mark>
>
> If you don’t rely on skill for kills what do you rely on? Luck? Randomness?
>
> Again, you clearly have very little knowledge about how better players play the game, meaning that your opinion on the matter is invalid.
>
> Part of the problem with sprint is that you can “aid teammates in a hot spot”. Your team mate should die because of your poor positioning, not be saved because you could move at 150% speed to come save him. Now, this is one of the lesser problems with sprint, and this really only applies to the highest tier of competitive play, but that doesn’t mean it isn’t factual.
>
> No one is writing it off, we are voicing our concerns and making sure that 343 knows that if they do what we think they’re going to do that the game is going to suck.
>
> Also, if you care enough to further understand WHY sprint is detrimental to competitive play, please see this post.
>
>
>
>
> > Don’t make it a privilege via AA, make it standard issue.
>
> …
>
> This makes it more of a problem, it doesn’t alleviate it.

Of course it has a lot to do with it, why do you think the whole of the community that hates sprint, complain about the the guys who run and don’t finish battles, “running away from their mistakes”.

Also, I love sprint and may aim is dead on, I have always been a good shot and sprint didn’t really impact my aim at all, because I used it where it was most appropriate and needed, so I still think sprint should remain.

> > > Well first, the simple fix for the “getting away easily,” problem (which isn’t a real problem,) is simply to lower the kill times. Faster kill times is something which should be implemented anyway.
> > >
> > > But I think people would be alright with sprint once they saw it integrated well rather than clumsily as it was in Reach. Don’t make it a privilege via AA, make it standard issue.
> >
> > Faster kill times…
> > You do realize this is a HALO forum, right?
> > Halo’s known for slow-kill times…
>
> thank you. slower kill times is what made halo mm. if you want faster kill times go play CoD or crysis

To reitterate, no one, probably in the entire world ever, has suggested CoD esque kill times. We want CE/H2 kill times. average engagement times of 3 seconds, with a general span being 2-5. This unlike Reach which has an average of about 5 or 6 with the general span being between 3-10 seconds.

No one wants half second kill times, That would break the game more than any possible change 343 couold ever implement.

What I think they should do is make it so you can’t sprint while getting shot at. It would still help to get to power weapons and the such…

> So which side is the illiterate one?

The side who can’t tell which is which.

> Of course it has a lot to do with it, why do you think the whole of the community that hates sprint, complain about the the guys who run and don’t finish battles, “running away from their mistakes”.
>
> Also, I love sprint and may aim is dead on, I have always been a good shot and sprint didn’t really impact my aim at all, because I used it where it was most appropriate and needed, so I still think sprint should remain.

“flunking out” yes, “flunking out earlier” no. No one turns around and runs away earlier in the battle because of sprint, they just get out of your line of sight earlier because of it. This is an important distinction.

No one is saying sprint impacts their aim, the problem is that players can get out of your line of sight faster, meaning even with perfect aim, better decision making, and better teamwork a worse player has a better chance of surviving and doing decent than had sprint not been there. Well, that’s the biggest problem.

I mean I’m not going to lie, I love how many times sprint has saved me. On average I probably live through 5 battles a game that I would have died during had sprint not been there; I’m positive I’ve benefitted from sprint 100x more than I’ve been screwed by it, but that doesn’t mean it’s good for Halo.

> > So which side is the illiterate one?
>
> The side who can’t tell which is which.

Good dodge :stuck_out_tongue:

> > Of course it has a lot to do with it, why do you think the whole of the community that hates sprint, complain about the the guys who run and don’t finish battles, “running away from their mistakes”.
> >
> > Also, I love sprint and may aim is dead on, I have always been a good shot and sprint didn’t really impact my aim at all, because I used it where it was most appropriate and needed, so I still think sprint should remain.
>
> “flunking out” yes, “flunking out earlier” no. No one turns around and runs away earlier in the battle because of sprint, they just get out of your line of sight earlier because of it. This is an important distinction.
>
> No one is saying sprint impacts their aim, the problem is that players can get out of your line of sight faster, meaning even with perfect aim, better decision making, and better teamwork a worse player has a better chance of surviving and doing decent than had sprint not been there. Well, that’s the biggest problem.
>
> I mean I’m not going to lie, I love how many times sprint has saved me. On average I probably live through 5 battles a game that I would have died during had sprint not been there; I’m positive I’ve benefitted from sprint 100x more than I’ve been screwed by it, but that doesn’t mean it’s good for Halo.

But that’s what i’m saying, it should be used for battle purposes if 343 tweak it right, just a tool from getting to a long distance destination, that is literary all I want it for and i’m sure other would agree with me.

> But that’s what i’m saying, it <mark>should be used for battle purposes</mark> if 343 tweak it right, just a tool from getting to a long distance destination, that is literary all I want it for and i’m sure other would agree with me.

You mean shouldn’t?

And if that’s the case then why not just have the map easily traversable with man canons, teleporters, and vehicles? Are you really going to tell me you need sprint for maps the size and complexity of Zealot, Aslyum, Countdown, etc? I understand with the concern when it comes to maps like Hemorrhage, but even Paradiso really doesn’t take that long to get anywhere.

Also let’s say you move at 100% speed, sprint takes you to 150% speed. If you could sprint for a short period of time, then have to rest before you could sprint again, wouldn’t that take the same time to traverse large distances than would just constantly being at 120% speed?

Sprint only helps you get to closer places faster, had you just had a faster base speed and no sprint, it’d take you the same time to go across the entire maps.

And Personally, if you’re unable to sprint after maybe 5 seconds of getting shot, and there is a 10-15 second delay off spawn, it would solve most of the problems with sprint. The problem with being out of position and being able to help your team mate out because you were moving at 150% speed in itself wouldn’t be that bed, especially if we have CE/H2 kill times.

Like someone in another tread already pointed out. The difference between running away with spring and running away without sprint is that when you have the ability to jump, grenade, shoot and do everything else that you can’t do while sprinting.

This is more important for the person chasing, than the person running.