Flood - Station Zulu

Station Zulu:

Hello. SirenianPilot44 here to showcase a upcoming map that will be available in the days to come that I wish to discuss about. It is called “Station Zulu.” I thought that a station that is in space would be a pretty nice feature for players to look at the abandonment environment of the station itself whilst in space, going through tunnels connected to the station, taking objectives (there is three) while the Flood try and stop you from doing so. Let’s get on talking about it then.

Backstory:

The United Nations Space Command has built a floating station in the middle of gravity consisted of scientific technology and research teams with the assistance of Spartans defending the area from a threat but what kind of threat exactly? The Spartans are deployed there due to recent flybys of Pelicans encountering Covenant threats but their activity is quite low but it is said they detected unknown signals in the middle of their expedition have been sighted on the radars and some shipments haven’t been received by inbound Pelicans.

“Help… they are tearing us apart! We need immediate evacuation and assistance! Oh #$%&! Ru-!”

A few Spartans aboard the Space Station and set up defenses, although their fate is unknown as a second distress call is made. Most of the distress call says they encountered… the Flood.

A few days later on planet Earth, one of the nearby stations had orders to launch a pelican within space. They have received the distress call and ordered a few Spartans - one of you ofcourse - to get aboard a Pelican and fly to the floating station near the asteroid belt. Hours pass as you look at the space station and notice it is black. As the Pelican lands on the roof of the station, you are deployed feet first with other unknown soldiers and your objective is simple. Neutralize this unknown threat. Investigate the area. Take key locations (probably). It’s that simple right?

This backstory is only related to the map and isn’t involved with the official Halo canon itself. Just for fun that’s all.

What I) aim for:

I aim to create a map that allows the player to have the goal to survive using the environment, strategy, weaponry and other players in order to increase their chance of surviving against the Flood. While surviving, they must complete goals such as taking a keypoint capture point or extracting the device (if possible in Flood gamemode) and if it ain’t available, then defending in locations that the previous Spartans left behind is what you need.

Curiosity surrounds me as I create this map. I wanted to create a map in space and that’s what I am aiming for. As a Spartan and Flood, you can jump around in zero gravity on the roof of the Space station or run around the corridor tunnels of itself… or just have fun as you -Yoink!- that flood player you just killed. Vehicles aren’t available because I thought it was too mainstream. not really

The survival between the Spartans and Flood is more difficult and challenging than to that in the official gamemode. The Flood have to team up instead of going lonewolf due to the fact that it takes three hits in order to kill one Spartan but they also have more health, able to take more shotgun hits. Something close to that of zombies. Spartans on the other hand have numerous weaponry but some are rare to come across. Flood have unlimited lives and Spartans have five lives with a timer of 5 to 8 minutes. Worth the fun if you ask me.

Did I not say that the Flood also carry either Assault Rifles (which doesn’t do alot of damage) too? Energy sword is better though but… I might not put that in the game.

I’ll try my best to put up fixes on issues with the map, try not making more advantages for one team but instead trying to balance both the Flood and Spartan teams and so forth.

Download coming soon.

No pics, no clicks.

Sounds interesting though.

I don’t know how long you’ve been making game modes, but from a fellow creator’s standpoint, it seems like too much. Game developers do a good job of balancing games and making them enjoyable and fluid. When you stray too far from that, people don’t like it because it stops being fluid and starts being very unbalanced.

For instance, five lives seems like too much for a Spartan. It may seem like one life does not allow you to make the most of being a Spartan and doing your best to survive, but it’s the only way to maintain balance with the Flood. Otherwise the Flood get bored and quit because the Spartans will never lose. Reach’s Alpha Zombies gametype was a borderline failure because the Spartans were overpowered against the zombie’s simple sprint. It made shooting the head with the pistol too easy. Many players left in game but the only thing that drove people to stay was that they wanted to be the humans and be the one pwning all the zombies.

My most strong suggestion would be to keep it at one life. People die quicker than others. That’s fact. With five lives, you put less value in a single life, which makes it not as thrilling as well.

I very much like your aspiration to make it environmentally strategic though. I hope that fares well in the creation and testing process.

The AR zombie idea is interesting, but I’m not entirely sure that will work either. You’ll have to test that out.

I actually made my own quick custom gametype where Flood were also more buff, requiring at least three shotgun shells to kill, but the only way the Flood could kill the Spartans were by Assassinating them, so zombies had to work in teams to flank. I even made another variation of that where the zombies had constant good camo (meaning they can move fast and still be very well cloaked), but were much easier to kill by giving them no shields, making the pistol effective, if you know where their head is.

Anyway, good luck again with your endeavors.

I guess your point of view is correct. I’ll decrease the amount of lives for a Spartan player to 2 or 1 and buff the Flood abit. I’ll think of more ideas to come along when I am creating this map.

I’ll try my best to make the environments interesting for the player and will be testing it out.

Thanks for your feedback.

Vehicles are too mainstream? Are you a Forge Hipster?

Awesome map idea, if you’re trying to make it more scary I’d recommend a labyrinth of crawlspace airducts that the spartans have to traverse every once in a while. The only way I could really see you using objectives is if you had caches of weaponry that the spartans are trying to get to: you can’t add objectives to the Flood gametype I think. You could add Dominion turrets to the weapon caches. Also what would be cool would be a zero gravity center in the station with floating debris in it. Take away the five lives, making them hard to kill is enough if they all stay together. And don’t give the Flood AR’s because 1. you can’t unless you’re using a modded gametype and 2. it’d basically just be slayer then.

I am loving this idea already. Looking forward to the release.

> Vehicles are too mainstream? Are you a Forge Hipster?
>
> Awesome map idea, if you’re trying to make it more scary I’d recommend a labyrinth of crawlspace airducts that the spartans have to traverse every once in a while. The only way I could really see you using objectives is if you had caches of weaponry that the spartans are trying to get to: you can’t add objectives to the Flood gametype I think. You could add Dominion turrets to the weapon caches. Also what would be cool would be a zero gravity center in the station with floating debris in it. Take away the five lives, making them hard to kill is enough if they all stay together. And don’t give the Flood AR’s because 1. you can’t unless you’re using a modded gametype and 2. it’d basically just be slayer then.

Just found out that you cannot give the Flood any weapons but only their Flood Talon (or otherwise Energy Sword) so I don’t think that idea will work for someone who doesn’t mod at all. I don’t really like vehicles on flood maps since the flood have to struggle chasing them around with melee which causes boredom (I experienced this before.)

As for objectives, the Forge mode had these props that allow players to capture it and extraction props aswell but I haven’t tested it out yet.

Scariness you say? That’s what I am trying to do at the moment. I added a dark screen (Juicy) and abit of screen blinking (Old Timey.) I also am adding zero gravity to some parts of the station that has been comprimised or otherwise open to space (i.e. a cracked tunnel or a open airlock.) Some of the tunnels will remain the same as running or jumping on Earth and the only way to get out of gravity is to head back into the blue shields (which obviously show what they are used for just like in Dead Space where there is a white wall leading to oxygen.)

> I am loving this idea already. Looking forward to the release.

Don’t expect the release this month but in December or after December (since I got school and holidays.) I will try and spruce a download beta up soon. I ain’t even done a quarter way yet even though I have Impact Corridors connected together (which will later be replaced by other Forge things)

Forge doesn’t have anything close to United Nations Space Command forge props which disappoints me but I will still pour some time into the said map.

I have already made a Station Zulu map(it is on my file share) go ahead and download it for fun or ideas.

> Just found out that you cannot give the Flood any weapons but only their Flood Talon (or otherwise Energy Sword) so I don’t think that idea will work for someone who doesn’t mod at all. I don’t really like vehicles on flood maps since the flood have to struggle chasing them around with melee which causes boredom (I experienced this before.)

Depends on the way you look at it, on my map I badly hid 1 mongoose so players could have rapid transport to another part of my Station.

> I have already made a Station Zulu map(it is on my file share) go ahead and download it for fun or ideas.

You made a Station Zulu map you say?

FFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUU-

Map name change inbound.

I am making a station series, already have Alpha done.