Flood... Isn't as Great as it Could Be.

When we look back on Halo: Reach, we see the Flood game (Infection) that was first created in Halo 3 made into its own game type. It was pretty simple when it first came out, and people found spots on the map to ensure that the flood could only come at them from one direction. Sword Base is a great example, as people could use the gravity lift in the center to boost themselves up onto a wall where they could snipe unsuspecting zombies with their pistols. All of this came to an end eventually though as spots like that were thought of as exploits and were eventually outfitted with soft-kill zones. But I digress, I’m not here to speak of maps or how their layouts don’t suit Flood. In fact, they would be great if it weren’t for one tiny little detail: OVERSHIELDS.

No, not the overshields you pick up to put an additional shield over the shield you alright where on your body. I’m talking about the original overshield which every Spartan has. Before I go into detail as to why it is a Flood-ruining detail, I’ll go into the logistics.

In Halo: Reach today, yes today, we see that Flood is the most played game type regularly. Why is this? I’ll assume it is because most people find it fun to be able to play as a Spartan with nothing but a pistol and a shotgun versus very fast “zombie” Spartans with swords. Simple concept that apparently many enjoy. Earlier in Halo: Reach’s history, Flood was no where near the most played game type. In fact, it had a pretty small population for a while before improvements like Alpha Zombie types were added. In any case, the popularity for Flood grew overtime and it became one of the most played gametypes in Halo: Reach. Fast forward to Halo 4. Today, Flood ranks in the bottom six playlists regularly. What happened to Flood? Why is it no longer a top ranking playlist even though it was once so popular?

Firstly, let me say that when the first previews for the flood came out which showcased new models of infected Spartans I squealed like a small child receiving a puppy made out of chocolate for Christmas. It seemed to me that 343i really was paying attention to the Flood gametype and were primed to make it even more popular. Halo 4 came out and I got the game as fast as I could. What was the first thing I did? Campaign. Yeah, I know you thought I was gonna say Flood. But after campaign, I began playing Flood. As usual, I spawned as a zombie first off. I noticed that I had an overshield and at that very moment felt excited. I thought the Spartans must have had some overpowered weapons that could take down my shields quickly as in Halo: Reach an infected spartan was killed instantly if shot in the head as his overshield disappeared. Perhaps a plasma pistol or something along those lines? Nope, same old weapons. It made sense that the overshield had disappeared because if you played any of the original Halo trinity you noticed that flood would kill elites and you after your overshield was taken down and then you became an infected being with no overshield. But this new Flood type had done away with that and gave the Flood overshields most likely because they needed to stand more of a chance against the shotgun and pistol-wielding Spartans. However, I believe this was overdone by quite a bit.

When I was playing my first few rounds of Flood, I noticed how ridiculously difficult it was for a Spartan to kill a single Flood, let alone an entire team of them. In addition to super speed, a boost with which to dodge, and an sword lunge, the flood now had an overshield rendering pistols nearly completely useless in every circumstance besides faraway firing. The days in which you were able to use your pistol in order to pick off Flood lunging towards you are long gone, instead you must hope that your shotgun can pick off one or two of the flood zooming by your body at speeds faster than what your controller allows you to turn with.

In Halo: Reach, with enough skill a team could outlast the Flood until the end relying on nothing but pistols to get headshots for half of the round. Now you unload your entire pistol just trying to kill three of them, and that is if the bloom gods have blessed you enough to allow you to receive a headshot from long distances. Instead you must try and find a hiding spot where you can defend yourself. Too bad that is nearly impossible due to the speed and dodging abilities of the Flood that are attacking. I believe I’ve lost one or two games as the Flood and that was SOLELY due to incompetent team members who believed sailing off of edges with their boost was the best thing they could have done to help.

Now, If you’ve every played Flood you know what I am typing about here. Surviving the entire game is now nearly impossible if you are faced with a team of angry Flood who know how to find cover every time you begin shooting at them. You can’t pick them off easily anymore as they now have a shield. How often do you use your pistol successfully? When was the last time you actually managed to kill the hoard of infected Spartans approaching you with your pistol or shotgun as they use their boost to decimate you quickly?

My best guess is that 343i felt that the infected Spartans in Halo: Reach had a hard time and died too often. So, instead of giving them more mobility and calling it a day, they decided a full-blown overshield along with the mobility would be a good amount of extra protection. A grievous mistake in my opinion. True, I don’t die nearly as much as I used to being an infected Spartan, but I no longer have the same fun I used to have when playing Flood. As a Spartan, I can’t really score many kills whatsoever. If an infected player gets within range and lunges at me as I shoot to stop this action I die even while receiving a bulltrue medal. The armor abilities provided also don’t help matters. What good are 8 second shields that can be avoided by a simple sprint around to the player’s back, wallhacks, and invisibility when I’m playing against super-mobile players with a one-hit killing lunge and an overshield to make matters near impossible!? No, the Flood players don’t have to choose the boost with which they dodge, but you won’t find many caught dead without it.

Are the above the reasons why the population of Flood is so low?

Please 343i, I implore you to remove overshields from the infected Spartans in the Flood gametype. I’ve been both an infected player and a Spartan plenty of times and have a pretty good feel for the balance between them. Sure I can get killed once or twice by some skilled shotgun wielding players, but if I can pick off just one with my boost, I’m able to build an infected army in just a short minute to end the game with. Keep the armor abilities and everything else within the gametype, but please remove the overshields which make pistols useless and the gametype near impossible to actually win as a Spartan player. At least give us an option to vote on a Flood gametype that varies between classic and newer editions!

Sorry for the long read, I was going to include a small monologue after this, but I reached the character limit as I was typing it.<mark>To keep things short: I believe overshields on infected Spartans ruins the Flood gametype as it makes pistols nearly useless and Flood overpowered. Please take this edition to the Flood gametype away.</mark>

I hate the flood playlist with the burning rage of a 1000 suns precisely because it is so hard for me to kill an infected. The thrust pack ability puts me into a quitting hissy fit every time I play.

343 thought that by making the game more balanced, it would play better. In reality, it changed the very essence of the gametype and therefore basically took the fun out of it.

It is obvious to me that 343 put a lot of effort into the gametype, I just wish that whoever worked on the settings understood that imbalance is a vital part of the game.

Also, if you have not already, post your feedback here, perhaps they are reading it.

HALO 3 - over 2000xp in zombies LOVED IT

HALO 4 - played 10 games at best it could be good but it needs work…

it was much much better in older HALOs

I will be posting feedback, thanks Plunderfull.

> I will be posting feedback, thanks Plunderfull.

Cool and welcome.

I agree 100%. Balance is for the majority of gametypes, NOT zombie gametypes. Anyone who has ever watched a zombie movie knows a shot to the head kills a zombie. It’s a simple fix. I have no idea why it hasn’t be implemented. It would double or triple the playlist population quickly. Personally I could do without the PV and Camo, just give the zombies the thruster pack and give the spartans hardlight if you want to have AA’s. But even without that just having headshot kills would be enough to get me interested again. I played some infection games on Reach the other day and it was fun, Halo 4’s version doesn’t even compare.

> I hate the flood playlist with the burning rage of a 1000 suns precisely because it is so hard for me to kill an infected. The thrust pack ability puts me into a quitting hissy fit every time I play.

This is why I hate the flood playlist now to, + thruster pack.

I hate the fact zombies can thrust into humans and have a high amount of lunge as well.

In Halo 3, there were two things:

1. There was a gametype were Zombies got full shields with 100% damage resistance. While it wasn’t as fun as Flood is (when you get rid of Thruster Pack), it was certainly in there, and at least spiced up the playlist.
  2. The Magnum didn’t have a scope, and shot slow

In Reach, there were two things:

1. Humans got a mini-DMR while Zombies got no shields. In short, it made the gametype very stale, not fun, and completely dominate to one side while the other side didn’t want to play.
  2. Default maps. Just don’t work. At all.

In Halo 4, there’s a few things:

1. Flood get full shields, but 50% damage restistance. This makes it fun for both sides; Not one side is completely dominate, and the game isn’t stale. Until you add Thruster Pack into the equation. Thruster Pack completely ruins the gametype. I’ve explained why in the Flood Feedback Topic, so I won’t go into detail as to why here.
  2. If there’s a gametype added where Flood get no shields (I’m assuming this will be added eventually), then the Survivors MUST get a Boltshot as secondary instead of the Magnum. Again, I’ve explained as to why in the Flood Feedback Topic, so I won’t go into detail as to why here.

Once again, I’ve explained everything, in detail, in the Flood Feedback Topic, so I won’t go into detail (not much actually) as to why here.

But I will say that the Flood getting shields with 50% damage resistance is very fun, until Thruster Pack is added in. Just get rid of the Thruster Pack for this certain gametype, and it’ll be so much better.

Add the gametype where Flood get no shields and the Magnum is replaced with the Boltshot, get rid of the Survivors’ Active Camo, and make that gametype called either Classic or have it as the new main Flood.
Keep the current Flood gametype, get rid of Thruster Pack, and call it Save One Bullet, like it was called in Halo 3.

And 343i needs to look at Halo 3’s Living Dead for inspiration for Flood. Not Reach. Halo 3’s Living Dead was 10x better than Reach’s ever tried to be.

> In Halo 3, there were two things:
> 1) There was a gametype were Zombies got full shields with 100% damage resistance. While it wasn’t as fun as Flood is (when you get rid of Thruster Pack), it was certainly in there, and at least spiced up the playlist.
> 2) The Magnum didn’t have a scope, and shot slow
>
> In Reach, there were two things:
> 1) Humans got a mini-DMR while Zombies got no shields. In short, it made the gametype very stale, not fun, and completely dominate to one side while the other side didn’t want to play.
> 2) Default maps. Just don’t work. At all.
>
> In Halo 4, there’s a few things:
> 1) Flood get full shields, but 50% damage restistance. This makes it fun for both sides; Not one side is completely dominate, and the game isn’t stale. Until you add Thruster Pack into the equation. Thruster Pack completely ruins the gametype. I’ve explained why in the Flood Feedback Topic, so I won’t go into detail as to why here.
> 2) If there’s a gametype added where Flood get no shields (I’m assuming this will be added eventually), then the Survivors MUST get a Boltshot as secondary instead of the Magnum. Again, I’ve explained as to why in the Flood Feedback Topic, so I won’t go into detail as to why here.
>
> Once again, I’ve explained everything, in detail, in the Flood Feedback Topic, so I won’t go into detail (not much actually) as to why here.
>
> But I will say that the Flood getting shields with 50% damage resistance is very fun, until Thruster Pack is added in. Just get rid of the Thruster Pack for this certain gametype, and it’ll be so much better.
>
> Add the gametype where Flood get no shields and the Magnum is replaced with the Boltshot, get rid of the Survivors’ Active Camo, and make that gametype called either Classic or have it as the new main Flood.
> Keep the current Flood gametype, get rid of Thruster Pack, and call it Save One Bullet, like it was called in Halo 3.
>
> And 343i needs to look at Halo 3’s Living Dead for inspiration for Flood. Not Reach. Halo 3’s Living Dead was 10x better than Reach’s ever tried to be.

I wholeheartedly disagree.

Reach’s Infected was much more popular (the most popular game type in fact) than Halo 3’s Zombie Infection. I find it to be more fun as well. If I spawned as a zombie, I would find ways to kill humans that didn’t result in me dieing over and over again, and yes, for every spot humans could exploit, zombies could find a way around it that completely negated it.

Thruster packs are a dodge, much like the lunging in Reach. I think they are fine, I just need to be able to kill the infected flying towards me with a weapon in order to have fun. I don’t want balance. I’m forced to play as both, so arguing to me that its unfair doesn’t affect my thoughts. Plus, I’m playing off of past popularity and Reach had the most popular Flood-type game.

Agreed. Infection in this game is crap. It’s really not fun unless there is some inbalance like in Halo 3. Back then, a human was way more powerful than the infected but if a group of infected worked together and came at the human/s at one time they could overtake him. For the human to kill off those zombies would actually take a good amount of skill whereas in Halo 4 it would be near impossible.

I think Flood since Halo reach(I have’nt played it on halo 3) is overrated and is a horrible mode no matter what you do with it.

Zombies was started in Halo 2 with the introduction of online play. Back then it was fun even though each person spawned with both weapons because we couldn’t control that. Team switching was on the honor systems, so that kinda sucked.

The intro of forge and the official gametypes in Halo 3 - Reach took away the problems of Halo 2 and let us make zombies into something even better by introducing map making and custom spawns.

Infections was great in Halo 3 because we had customization. In reach it was good too because we still had the customization.

The difference in Halo 4 is that the customization has been taken out. The flood only looks one way. The flood has to use the claw. So the zombies game types are now limited in a way because you can no longer make it a game that isn’t completely zombies related.

Which is against the whole concept of the Halo multiplayer sandbox. The ability to play things in a way that they weren’t intended.

> I think Flood since Halo reach(I have’nt played it on halo 3) is overrated and is a horrible mode no matter what you do with it.

If you just hate it all together why even post in this thread? What did you bring to the table to discuss? You did nothing but shout how much you hate it and spelled “haven’t” wrong. Why?

I do like flood, but I am getting quite bored off it, they need to put more maps in the playlist, maybe even community created ones where you have to hold out In a house or something cool like that. Because there are only 5 maps to choose, from which are just the regular maps you get in other playlists which are more suited for slayer or objective game types.

> I do like flood, but I am getting quite bored off it, they need to put more maps in the playlist, maybe even community created ones where you have to hold out In a house or something cool like that. Because there are only 5 maps to choose, from which are just the regular maps you get in other playlists which are more suited for slayer or objective game types.

True, I wish they would cater a bit more to what was once one of the most played game types.

I think having the flood is a great mix to the gametype, I just think it should have been the exact same settings as the Reach one.