Flood Firefight 3.0 Horror Game Survival?

Please read all of this post before commenting.

I look back at Halo: Evolution The Mona Lisa for this inspiration. The Flood or “Shaping Sickness” which ever you prefer, is a alien parasite, they are supposed to be the most deadliest creatures in the galaxy. I loved the way the books described the flood but now how the games did.

The book described them as disgusting abominations with guts hanging out of their bodies heads sticking out from all angles all sorts of shaped and distorted features that made people fear them just by the way they look. I believe that in the game they somewhat caught the looks but the way they were portrayed didn’t do it for me, for me they were another thing to shoot.

If you have watched this, this is what I am coming on to for my idea, If the flood do return and I know many fans wish for them not and some do what them to come back I want them to return like this.

I propose a sort of maze area like a ship with doors you can open and explore and complete objectives like destroying an object on the bridge or finding a captive on the ship and making back to the life pods. I want a very dark and gory environment for the flood to be in with guts hanging from the walls blood on the ceilings and walls. Lights flickering cut marks on the walls doors bent open very dark environment like the ship is barely still online. Your job is to push through the ship while flood come out of ceilings and rooms to try and kill you I want the flood to scare me to make me go “OH S***” when one comes at me.

Also instead of playing as Spartans maybe we can play as ODST’s with health packs so it’s a little more intense and conservative this way you don’t have to have wave after wave of flood coming at you because you have shields it can be more controlled if you just have health.

Now I don’t want to break the core mechanics of Halo and have like items you find and keep like other horror games that would be cool but it’s not Halo but I would love to see something like this implemented especially if this is going to be one of the darkest Halo games made.

Thank you for your time, what do you guys think any ideas?

I have always been fascinated in zombies, especially the flood because of their rich storytelling and background. And I am very excited to see the flood for the first time in HD! Hopefully they return sooner or later.

And I don’t want to see them just to have a gore and texture upgrade, they need to be very graphic, also. Something that is graphic and something that is gory are two different things, they need to also have horrific inhuman poses, such as having their heads snapped backwards, exposing their muscle tissue.

Red gore also would give off a more graphic look to the infected marines and animals like elephants (hint, hint!). People can have their ‘classic’ dark green gore if it gets a content filter.

And if you want to know, here is what red blood looks like on flood: http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2013/125/8/3/elephant_combat_form_by_tdspiral-d647oj4.png

Oh, and I got three words for you: FORGEABLE, FLOOD, FIREFIGHT!

I don’t want the flood to return in canon, as I wouldn’t find it convincing, I would feel like its being forced (writing the flood back into the storyline solely for the sake of having the flood in the storyline). If they are in multiplayer or a non-canon campaign, I wouldn’t mind.

What you described (infiltrating a flood infested ship) could be worked in as a spartan ops training simulation.

> <mark>I don’t want the flood to return in canon, as I wouldn’t find it convincing, I would feel like its being forced (writing the flood back into the storyline solely for the sake of having the flood in the storyline).</mark> If they are in multiplayer or a non-canon campaign, I wouldn’t mind.
>
> What you described (infiltrating a flood infested ship) could be worked in as a spartan ops training simulation.

May I ask why? They are still in the universe, and the Forerunner trilogy states they will be coming back. They’re not gone, so they’ll be upon us soon enough. Whether in H5 or not I don’t know, but they will.

> May I ask why? They are still in the universe, and the Forerunner trilogy states they will be coming back. They’re not gone, so they’ll be upon us soon enough. Whether in H5 or not I don’t know, but they will.

I have no doubt the flood will return. I just don’t think its realistic for them to return this soon in the timeline. It’s only been four years since they suffered a significant defeat. To be honest I’d view them either slowly gaining numbers in secret, or slowly making their way from outside our galaxy to our galaxy.

To me it wouldn’t make sense for a massive flood army to show up out of complete nowhere. They need time to rebuild, and as far as I know the flood has never displayed itself as being hasty in nature.

If Firefight is to return, it can’t be nothing but Flood. Otherwise, it’ll get boring fast. Firefight 3.0 needs all the same enemies as Halo:Reach’s Firefight, with the addition of Drones and Engineers to the Covenant ranks, and brand-new enemies like the Prometheans; and yes, the Flood as well. But not just the Flood.

I also described in my own Firefight 3.0 thread the possibility of adding big, epic vehicle battles in what I call “Firefight Heavies”; basically Firefight on big maps with Scorpions, Falcons, things like that, and huge epic vehicle battles like the ones we got in the Halo 3 Campaign, Scarabs and all.

Thing is, Firefight has always been about small-scale engagements; it’s time to make it bigger and better.

> > May I ask why? They are still in the universe, and the Forerunner trilogy states they will be coming back. They’re not gone, so they’ll be upon us soon enough. Whether in H5 or not I don’t know, but they will.
>
> I have no doubt the flood will return. I just don’t think its realistic for them to return this soon in the timeline. It’s only been four years since they suffered a significant defeat. To be honest I’d view them either slowly gaining numbers in secret, or slowly making their way from outside our galaxy to our galaxy.
>
> To me it wouldn’t make sense for a massive flood army to show up out of complete nowhere. They need time to rebuild, and as far as I know the flood has never displayed itself as being hasty in nature.

Ah alright. I read “I don’t want them to return in canon” and immediately assumed you meant “I don’t want them to ever return”. Sorry 'bout that!

Well, we know that Installation 07 is probably still Flood-infested, so if the campaign ends up leading us to the Flood that’d be one thing. I don’t expect 343 to give us a big Flood Invasion scenario in H5 unless it was a localized infestation that was beyond the Feral stage on a location that we ourselves ended up visiting. But a Intersellar or beyond Flood just coming out of nowhere? I’m with you on thinking that they should hold off on that.

Well, if it’s just a Firefight-Mode, why not?

The Flood’s return in Campaign is a different question.
I would prefer to leave them out. I like this “clean” Human-Covernant-War better than Dead Space: Halo :S

> <mark>I don’t want the flood to return in canon, as I wouldn’t find it convincing, I would feel like its being forced (writing the flood back into the storyline solely for the sake of having the flood in the storyline). If they are in multiplayer or a non-canon campaign, I wouldn’t mind.</mark>
>
> What you described (infiltrating a flood infested ship) could be worked in as a spartan ops training simulation.

You don’t find a whole trilogy based on their origin and the fact that they came from OUTSIDE the galaxy enough evidence to show their return? Or what about the Forerunners keeping Flood spores on Halos odd enough to warrant their return?

> I have no doubt the flood will return. I just don’t think its realistic for them to return this soon in the timeline. It’s only been four years since they suffered a significant defeat. To be honest I’d view them either slowly gaining numbers in secret, or slowly making their way from outside our galaxy to our galaxy.
>
> To me it wouldn’t make sense for a massive flood army to show up out of complete nowhere. They need time to rebuild, and as far as I know the flood has never displayed itself as being hasty in nature.

There’s a BIG universe out there. They could have easily been feasting on other galaxies this entire time. The Flood ARE the Precursors, they can go where ever they please. The Primordial’s words still echo in my mind: “We are the Flood. There is no difference. Until all space and time are rolled up and life is crushed in the folds…no end to war, grief. or pain. In a hundred and one thousand centuries…unity again, and wisdom. Until then-sweetness.”

I would love for this to have in a firefight mode like this, make the game more interesting. In terms of story only if it makes sense.

Does this mean that I’ll get to do the Library over and over again?

Gotta love Carrier Forms waddling towards you and exploding… Again and again.

I think if Firefight returns, 343 should take some inspiration from Mass Effect 3’s co-op. Multiple difficulty levels: Easy, Normal, Hard, Legendary, Mythic; and enemy factions: Covenant Remnants, Forerunner, Flood (what ever else may be in Halo 5: Guardians).
Difficulty and maps are one thing, but the factions each have their own strengths, weaknesses, tactics, etc…

> > <mark>I don’t want the flood to return in canon, as I wouldn’t find it convincing, I would feel like its being forced (writing the flood back into the storyline solely for the sake of having the flood in the storyline). If they are in multiplayer or a non-canon campaign, I wouldn’t mind.</mark>
> >
> > What you described (infiltrating a flood infested ship) could be worked in as a spartan ops training simulation.
>
> You don’t find a whole trilogy based on their origin and the fact that they came from OUTSIDE the galaxy enough evidence to show their return? Or what about the Forerunners keeping Flood spores on Halos odd enough to warrant their return?
>
>
>
> > I have no doubt the flood will return. I just don’t think its realistic for them to return this soon in the timeline. It’s only been four years since they suffered a significant defeat. To be honest I’d view them either slowly gaining numbers in secret, or slowly making their way from outside our galaxy to our galaxy.
> >
> > To me it wouldn’t make sense for a massive flood army to show up out of complete nowhere. They need time to rebuild, and as far as I know the flood has never displayed itself as being hasty in nature.
>
> There’s a BIG universe out there. They could have easily been feasting on other galaxies this entire time. The Flood ARE the Precursors, they can go where ever they please. The Primordial’s words still echo in my mind: “We are the Flood. There is no difference. Until all space and time are rolled up and life is crushed in the folds…no end to war, grief. or pain. In a hundred and one thousand centuries…unity again, and wisdom. Until then-sweetness.”

Did he really say a 101,000 centuries? (I’m fuzzy on the specific details. Haven’t read the book in a year.) If that’s the case then we are due for a visit within the current timeline.

The Floods defeat at Earth was not a ‘significant’ defeat by any means. The Flood is an intergalactic entity, and the Gravemind himself stated that the defeat merely bought them a tiny bit more time before the inevitable take over and assimilation at his hands.

Realistically Humanity in Halo-verse has literally just scratched the surface of the true vastness and horror that is The Flood. There are still Halo installations humanity hasn’t discovered yet…who knows if the remaining ones are overrun with Flood? We know that Penitent Tangents Halo was overrun. Also other Forerunner places of study and work where more Flood specimens may be housed.

On topic though, I’d like to see an expansion of Flood types in the next Halo games. Such a horrific construct has a lot of fun gameplay options available if you’re willing to be creative.

> > > <mark>I don’t want the flood to return in canon, as I wouldn’t find it convincing, I would feel like its being forced (writing the flood back into the storyline solely for the sake of having the flood in the storyline). If they are in multiplayer or a non-canon campaign, I wouldn’t mind.</mark>
> > >
> > > What you described (infiltrating a flood infested ship) could be worked in as a spartan ops training simulation.
> >
> > You don’t find a whole trilogy based on their origin and the fact that they came from OUTSIDE the galaxy enough evidence to show their return? Or what about the Forerunners keeping Flood spores on Halos odd enough to warrant their return?
> >
> >
> >
> > > I have no doubt the flood will return. I just don’t think its realistic for them to return this soon in the timeline. It’s only been four years since they suffered a significant defeat. To be honest I’d view them either slowly gaining numbers in secret, or slowly making their way from outside our galaxy to our galaxy.
> > >
> > > To me it wouldn’t make sense for a massive flood army to show up out of complete nowhere. They need time to rebuild, and as far as I know the flood has never displayed itself as being hasty in nature.
> >
> > There’s a BIG universe out there. They could have easily been feasting on other galaxies this entire time. The Flood ARE the Precursors, they can go where ever they please. The Primordial’s words still echo in my mind: “We are the Flood. There is no difference. Until all space and time are rolled up and life is crushed in the folds…no end to war, grief. or pain. In a hundred and one thousand centuries…unity again, and wisdom. Until then-sweetness.”
>
> Did he really say a 101,000 centuries? (I’m fuzzy on the specific details. Haven’t read the book in a year.) If that’s the case then we are due for a visit within the current timeline.

Yup I actually had to bring out my copy of Primordial to quote that as I didn’t remember the exact quote. That’s why I’ve been very insistent that the Flood is most likely coming in Halo 5, which is why it will be VERY dark (which they’ve already confirmed).