FLIGHT FEEDBACK from Zac. Pros & cons

I apologize if this is a bit rambly and long, or uncoordinated. These are the notes I took over the course of the flight and I tried to clean them up when they flight ended.

I will probably need to use replies because I typed a LOT.

——————————————————————————-
Okay, based on this first flight it looks to me like a really good game with lots of smaller problems that build up rather than one or two huge glaring problems. Once Recharge came out I started absolutely loving this game, not the hugest fan of Live Fire but it is still already a very memorable map visually, and the best part about these maps is I feel like I will remember their name and layout for years, I struggle to remember the names of many maps post-Halo 3, but the fact that I already know the names of these Infinite maps like the back of my hand is a VERY good thing. Give your map designers a raise. I’m also surprised by how balanced this game is, for this being a flight.

• Sound
    I feel like the multiplayer “suspense” music is VERY well done. It’s very subtle yet suspenseful, not annoying and distracting like Halo 4’s, and the music leading up to Jeff saying the game is half over is super cool, satisfying and already memorable. You were right to be proud of the multiplayer music.

The menu music when customizing my Spartan and stuff is great music, but way too loud and fast for something as laid back as chilling in a bunker, customizing my Spartan. Shoegaze / post rock is a slightly weird direction to take a Halo soundtrack, but I’m all for it, just dial the loud drums and guitar back a little when I’m chilling in the menu.

I say you should turn off or heavily lower the volume of the hitmarker noises. I didn’t even realize there were hitmarker noises, but when I disabled them the game sounded a lot less cluttered.

The gunshots sound a bit too quiet thought it seems like, not necessarily by design, but just the sound mixing.

Another problem is they don’t sound good when they’re supposed to be echoing across the map. Instead of gunshot sounds echoing or bouncing thru the walls from far away, the faraway gunshots and dialogue kinda sounded like it was just muffled Xbox game chat audio, or like the faraway gunshots were inside a plastic cup right next to me. This only seemed to occur on Live Fire however.

I love the sound the spike grenade makes when it’s about to explode.

The sound effects for plasma grenades are a little lacking, they used to make a super high pitched whizzing noise when they landed and when they stuck to things, I can barely hear them now.

All of the guns sound pretty great, but my problem with them is many of them lack the punch and a little of the identity that they should have. The sound design in this game is really damn good, but I feel like the game is relying too much on realistic gunshot sounds rather than immediately identifiable gunshot sounds. The sounds are good but there are some guns where if you played just its audio I don’t know if I could identify it off sound alone, whereas the sounds of some of the old halo guns were more immediately identifiable.

This effects gameplay.

You should be able to hear a gun cross map and identify just by its sound what gun it is, ESPECIALLY the needler, and the needler doesn’t have that identifiable ringing sound it usually has. in Halo 3 specifically you could hear the crackling of the BR from far away and identity it, and DOES apply with this game’s BR, but not all its guns.

The sound the AR makes would be perfect if it was less powerful (which it should be), but its sound doesn’t have enough punch to convey how actually deadly it is in this build anyway. I say keep its current sound and just Nerf the gun.

The sidekick sounds good, but again the gunshots from the sidekick need a little more punch or weight. Not a ton, so that you don’t think it’s more powerful than it is, but just a bit more kick to the sound effects of the sidekick, and maybe sound slightly more high pitched when it shoots.

The pulse rifle, SPNKR, plasma pistol, Heatwave, skewer, Ravager, and battle rifle sound basically perfect.

I don’t know how to say this other than the bulldog needs to sound…a little more like a shotgun? I don’t know. Needs a little bit of a lingering sound behind its shots to give its shots more impact and identifiable as a shotgun, but not too much. It takes more shots to kill someone with the bulldog than a normal Halo shotgun, so it doesn’t need to sound as much of a pop as the original shotgun, but I think it could sound a teensy bit less like a generic gunshot, no offense because it still sounds really good and meaty.

The needler sounds off. It sounds WAAYYY too much like a plasma weapon, when it’s so much more than that. It needs that ringing sound, that sounds like the needles rattling around inside the gun as it shoots like in Halo 3. (Halo 3 had by far the ugliest needler, but the best sound). That chime sound that it used to have when shooting it. You should be able to hear a needler without seeing it and think “oh -Yoink-, that’s a needler”. There needs to be a way more noticeable supercombine noise too

Thank you for taking the filter off Jeff Steitzer’s voice and letting him calm down a bit. Absolutely love how Jeff sounds in this game. Less is more

[ CONTINUED]

1. Gameplay, Balance, etc.

The TTK seems too quick and games seem to finish earlier than normal, usually with more than 5 minutes remaining. I feel like matches are finishing too fast? I don’t know, maybe it’s the bots, but I feel like the matches reach 50 points VERY fast for some reason.

The drop shield takes a little too long to pop up, but other than that the way equipment works is -Yoinking!- perfect and the best implementation of equipment/abilities in the whole series by far. A limited number of grappleshot uses is genius, and all the equipment seems super fun to use.

I actually love the default controls and I know I have the option to completely customize them how I like. But I think down on the DPAD should be the drop weapon button and maybe left and right should cycle through equipment or something.

Left and right Shoulder pads shouldn’t be unlocked separately, there should be one unlock for the same shoulderpiece

I personally think that the removal of Red vs Blue teams is a great idea that should’ve happened long ago to show off your customized Spartan. However I’m sometimes having a hard time telling who’s an enemy until they’ve shot at me, despite the outlines. I feel like if a player with a red skin is out and about it’s be a little hard to tell. It could be the lack of red vs blue, but I don’t think so. I’m honestly not sure what it is, because, for example I don’t have this problem most of the time in Call of duty. Maybe add the option of opacity / brightness / thickness adjustments for the outlines, set the default brightness/opacity/thickness higher? It’s not that big of an issue, I mainly had this issue on Live Fire and not on Recharge, probably because a recharge is darker.

Okay, I know that Spartan battle chatter is gonna be in the game no matter what, as well as the A.I. And I know you have the option to turn it off. But I found it very constant, strange and annoying, more so than it was in Halo 5 but maybe because it caught me off guard. I’m from the southern US, so I appreciate the southern representation in media, but I don’t think I EVER needed to hear a Halo Spartan say “over yonder” in a goofy southern accent, and then hear a dude with no southern accent say “over yonder” or “Cant touch this!!” in an annoying voice. Sorry, it’s just silly. I’m not saying Spartans should have some generic accent either, I actually kinda love the deep voiced southern accent Spartan, he reminds me of Walton Goggins :slight_smile: I just…I think a ping system is more than enough and it seemed like waayyyyy too much in-game dialogue was going on during the multiplayer match that it was distracting and annoying, despite how Jeff Steitzer has been dialed back some. I’m hearing Jeff Steitzer then I’m hearing my A.I. and then I’m hearing the spartans, it’s a bit much. The Spartans shouldn’t necessarily be dead serious like Halo 5, but they’re a little bit too enthusiastic and silly and babble a bit too much.

I also couldn’t tell the difference between my A.I’s voice and the Spartans at first when I was using Pyramid, even with the subtitles. Maybe all the A.I. need some sort of slight echoey, computery filter on their voice to help you distinguish, kinda like how Steitz sounded in Halo 4 thru 5.

Either way, I chose Fret / pyramid at first and he was talking nonstop, his voice was really annoying and grating because he sounded like a generic male protagonist in any given anime, and he wouldn’t shut up. I guess I like the idea of an enthusiastic, characteristic A.I. that kind of keeps track of the match or whatever, but I honestly think that, at least Pyramid, was talking wayyyyy too much and saying annoyingly unnecessary things like “we’re doin’ pretty good, huh?” It’s way too annoying and unnecessary for me and was honestly stopping me from enjoying the game as much as I would have. I don’t know what the solution to this would be because obviously you don’t want to remove A.I. or take away their personalities. Maybe just have them talk a lot less, or add the ability to equip NO A.I., or an option / meter that adjusts how much the A.I. and Spartans talk, instead of “none” or “a whole bunch”, just some would be fine. I DON’T NEED SOMEONE TELLING ME THAT I PICKED UP A GUN, and I don’t need someone babbling in my ear that you have to kill people in Slayer. I ALREADY KNOW THAT. Just give a little text description at the beginning of the match.

Also, “initializing boastful laughter….HAAAAA HAAAA HAAAA” was just stupid and annoying imo

I get that Coatings are an open and shut, done deal now because of the free to play model and such. That’s fine. But is there ANY way in the future that we can apply different coatings to different pieces of armor? That’s basically cheating, I know. The coatings you’re offering are pretty good, I especially love the blue and yellow one Estate Gold, it looks cool and when I first got Halo 3 I was a blue and yellow Scout for about a year. It’s just that ever since Halo Reach all the way to the new 2021 updates for MCC I have always, ALWAYS had a green and blue Spartan with an ODST helmet and I was glad to get the new fire team raven ODST helmet. Green and blue with ODST. I want to be able to get green and blue with ODST and gold / Vandal visor easily enough by working for it, without having to spend real money to get a battle pass open and / or grind and grind and grind to unlock it. The fact that coatings allow something like one entire arm to be one color and another be a different color is absolutely sick, like Scorpion Punch. I would like to have a green and blue helmet with the right arm being blue and the armor’s primary color to be dark green for example.

What works for me won’t work for other people. Yes, I like working towards unlocking armor but I just don’t want it to feel like a chore to get simple colors I can have right off the bat in Halo 3. And I’m not even talking about primary and secondary colors. At least have all solid colorings be accessible from the beginning and the patterns be their own unlocks, I mean does Cosmic Corruption really need to be an unlock? It’s what I’d consider just a default, solid purple coloring. The customization in Infinite feels leaps and bounds better than Reach, EXCEPT for colors, at least as I understand them right now. Most of the coatings look beautiful too, and then some, like Karaba Sirocco (which I think is supposed to be a Gundam reference) look eh to me personally.

There needs to be a VERY OBVIOUS flash effect, visibly and audibly, when someone’s shields run out. Similar to Halo 3 or Reach, a mini-explosion when shields deplete with a loud noise upon doing it. It kinda felt like I was just shooting people until they died, like playing Halo CE, as opposed to having that “haha >:)” feeling when I depleted someone’s shields in Halo 3 or Reach.

I feel like an enemy’s shields shouldn’t be synonymous to their team / UI color. I think the default shield color should be yellowish orange, sort of like 3 or Reach, but the outlines be red and reticle be red.

There aren’t any ash marks on the ground when rocket or grenade explosions happen.

Little bit too much of a lack of blood.

No gravity knockback with gravity hammer, I love its design and the long swing but why is it even called the gravity hammer if it’s not gonna have crazy knockback? you used to be able to use it to launch cross map by swinging it behind you and jumping

[ CONTINUED ]

(Part 2 continued)

The skewer might need some slightly increased aim assist / bullet magnetism, possibly the sniper too, it is very hard to land shots with the skewer, but I have always been bad at sniping. It is a super powerful one hit kill gun that’s also meant for anti-vehicle, so you guys may be right in making it hard to use against players if you aren’t pinpoint accurate. You did a good job balancing it, I just feel like I’m 4v4 non-vehicle maps my incentive to grab it is almost nonexistent compared to other weapons.

Also, if the skewer replaces the Spartan laser as THE anti-vehicle weapon, I will be very very happy.

The big red Hitmarker upon killing somebody is a bit too large, it feels like it obscures your view of their death a bit too much.

The sidekick is sick, honestly my favorite pistol in Halo EVER when it comes to how it’s balanced for multiplayer. Not too OP, a very reliable gun that’s pretty easy to get kills with close range, not very effective long range. It’s a starting weapon but there is heavy incentive to use it, depending on my mood I may keep the sidekick over a battle rifle or commando, about 50% of the time. It’s a damn fine gun. But for some reason landing shots feels a bit “soft”, I can tell they’re having a large effect but it doesn’t quite feel as impactful as it should. Maybe the crosshair, maybe the sound design isn’t meaty enough for its shots? Not sure to be honest.

I absolutely love the heatwave as a weapon, conceptually, visually, and actually using it. but I guess my -Yoinking!- monkey brain doesn’t allow me to understand exactly how the bullets work the richochet works or what it’s supposed to do.

I might be wrong about this one but it’s like the pulse rifle is simultaneously too strong and too weak. It absolutely dominates in the academy against the target bots but seems to lack a little in other areas. the heat seeking or tracking on the pulse rifle’s shots is REALLY strong to the point where I think I would ALWAYS use it over the battle rifle personally. Insanely fun weapon to use, and I see why you have tracking shots, because it doesn’t need to JUST be a covenant battle rifle, it needs to be unique, and I agree. Maybe just lower the tracking and/or rate if fire on its shots a little, and lower the damage a little, while slightly raising the amount of shots it takes to overheat. I’m getting 3 stars on level 3 of Pulse Rifle Drill without zooming in, yet getting 1 and 2 Star with like the Heatwave and Skewer on Lvl2 (though I have always sucked at sniping). Feels like I’m getting kills way too easy with the pulse compared to other weapons, even the assault rifle.

If it helps, I am terrible with the Commando but great with the pulse rifle, while my friend is great with the commando and terrible with the pulse rifle

Assault rifle does much better at long ranges than it actually should. That snd the headshot multiplier shouldn’t be a thing. It feels like the assault rifle alone is responsible for the TTK in this game being so fast. Feels like I got way more kills and landed way more shots with the AR than the bulldog or ravager or heatwave. I would personally rather use the AR over majority of the guns in the game, including the commando, Ravager, BR, skewer, bulldog, sniper. Not because it’s more fun to use, but because its so strong, and I feel like that shouldn’t be the case at all. Seeing the AR be so reliable is pretty cool, but I feel like it’s just taking away a lot of the incentive to go after the bulldog, Commando, heatwave etc.

Commando might need to be nerfed slightly. Either shoot a bit slower or a very slight damage decrease or something. This could be nitpicking on my part. I’m bad with the commando but I seem to do better with it when I specifically burst fire it myself instead of holding down the trigger. But it seems to be a bit OP and too quick to kill when my friend (oOHaloDudeOo) gets his hands on it.

Ravager’s charge shot is such a cool idea, (and seems like the perfect anti-flood weapon too) but it feels like it doesn’t do enough damage or at least have enough effect. I get that its charge shot isn’t meant to be a guaranteed kill, it’s more meant to work how Spitter Goo works in Left 4 Dead, or how the pulse grenade worked in Halo 4. But the pulse grenade in Halo 4 felt mostly useless. This charge shot definitely doesn’t feel useless, at least against bots, because of how big it’s area of effect is. But I feel like it’s missing something. I am preferring the AR and pulse rifle over the Ravager and I feel like that isn’t the intent. Maybe look at how spitter goo works in L4D and make the ravager’s charge a tiny bit more powerful.

Instead of adding dual wield, PLEASE consider adding dual SMGs as a legacy weapon
post-launch. Like, the dual wield SMGs are a single weapon, maybe about as powerful as the one SMG in Halo 5. Dual wielding itself can -Yoink- off. I think just the visual alone of dual SMGs is far too iconic to leave in the dust and could work really well as its own weapon.

Please, PLEASE add glow sights to the bulldog. I promise, if you add some simple glow sights to it, people will remember it a lot more fondly for a much longer time. Blue, green, red, yellow, I don’t care but PLEASE add glow sights. Now that I think about it, dark yellow / bright Orange would be sick

[FINAL PART]

1. UI, visuals, customization, controls

Zoom the menu UI out a bit, or make it a vertical listing like Reach, or both, make it optional maybe. Maybe have a long vertical list of the armors and armor types, with a small picture of what that piece looks like, but when scrolling on top of it, it appears on your Spartan.

I actually love the default controls and I know I have the option to completely customize them how I like. But I think down on the DPAD should be the drop weapon button and maybe left and right should cycle through equipment or something.

Needler crosshair is way too big

Left and right Shoulder pads shouldn’t be unlocked separately, there should be one unlock for the same shoulderpiece

There needs to be a VERY OBVIOUS flash effect, visibly and audibly, when someone’s shields run out. Similar to Halo 3 or Reach, a mini-explosion when shields deplete with a loud noise upon doing it. It kinda felt like I was just shooting people until they died, like playing Halo CE, as opposed to having that “haha >:)” feeling when I depleted someone’s shields in Halo 3 or Reach.
I feel like an enemy’s shields shouldn’t be synonymous to their team / UI color. I think the default shield color should be yellowish orange, sort of like 3 or Reach, but the outlines be red and reticle be red. Or maybe someone’s shields matches the A.I. color, not team color.

I think that the removal of Red vs Blue teams is a great idea that should’ve happened long ago to show off your customized Spartan. However I’m sometimes having a hard time telling who’s an enemy until they’ve shot at me, despite the outlines. I feel like if a player with a red skin is out and about it’d be kind of hard to tell. It could be the lack of red vs blue, but I don’t think so. I’m honestly not sure what it is, because, for example I don’t have this problem most of the time in Call of duty. Maybe add the option of opacity / brightness / thickness adjustments for the outlines, set the default brightness/opacity/thickness higher by default? I mainly had this issue on brighter maps, and less on Recharge, it is darker.

Killing someone with a Heatwave, the disintegration animation is nearly nonexistent, I spent hours in theater watching people disintegrate in slow-mo in Halo 4.

Okay, I know that Spartan battle chatter is gonna be in the game no matter what, as well as the A.I. And I know you have the option to turn it off. It being IN the game doesn’t really bother me although if I had the choice they wouldn’t be in. But I found them very constant, strange and annoying, more so than it was in Halo 5 but maybe because it caught me off guard. I’m from the southern US, so I appreciate the southern representation in media, but I don’t think I need to hear a Halo Spartan say “over yonder” in a goofy southern accent, and then hear a dude with no southern accent say “over yonder” or “Cant touch this!!” in an annoying voice. Sorry, it’s just silly. The different Spartans have the exact same lines too. I’m not saying Spartans should have some generic accent either, I actually kinda love the deep voiced southern accent Spartan, he reminds me of Walton Goggins :slight_smile:

I think maybe they should only talk when you use the ping system, that’s more than enough and it seemed like way too much in-game dialogue was going on during the multiplayer match that it was distracting, despite how Jeff Steitzer has been dialed back some. I’m hearing Jeff Steitzer then my A.I. and then I’m hearing the spartans, it’s a bit much. The Spartans and AI shouldn’t necessarily be dead serious like Halo 5, but they’re a little bit too enthusiastic and silly and babble a bit too much. Also give us the choice of which Spartan voice we want to use.

I also couldn’t tell the difference between my A.I’s voice and the Spartans at first, when I was using Pyramid.
Maybe all the A.I. need some sort of slight echoey, computery filter on their voice to help you distinguish, kinda like how Lumu sounds.

Either way, I chose Fret at first and he was talking nonstop, his voice was really annoying because he sounded like a generic male protagonist in an anime, and wouldn’t shut up. I guess I like the idea of an enthusiastic, characteristic A.I. that kind of keeps track of the match, but I honestly think that, at least Fret was talking way too much and saying annoyingly unnecessary things like “we’re doin’ pretty good, huh?” It’s way too annoying and unnecessary for me and was honestly stopping me from enjoying the game as much as I would have when just Live Fire was out. Luckily I enjoyed the game a lot more using BUTLR and Circ. Lumu seems a little too generic computer-voice, idk. I don’t know what the solution to this would be because obviously you don’t want to remove A.I. or take away their personalities. Maybe just have them talk a lot less, or add the ability to equip NO A.I., or a slider that adjusts how much the A.I. and Spartans talk, instead of “none” or “a whole bunch”, just some would be fine.

I don’t need someone telling me that I picked up a gun. Grenades and equipment maybe, but I would rather there be a really obvious pickup noise when you grab them, sort of like grabbing a medkit in Halo CE. I don’t need someone telling me you have to kill people in Slayer. I already know. Just give a little text description at the beginning of the match.

I know Coatings are an open and shut deal because of F2P. That’s fine. But is there ANY way in the future that we can apply different colors or coatings to different pieces of armor, even if we have to pay for the option to do so, or like if we pay for campaign we get an award? That’s basically cheating, I know. The coatings you’re offering are good, but there needs to be AN ABSOLUTE TON of them and I mean a TON to make up for lack of primary/secondary. I especially love the blue and yellow one Estate Gold, it looks absolutely beautiful. It’s just that ever since 2009 all the way to 2021 MCC I’ve had a green and blue Spartan with an ODST helmet and I was glad to get the new fire team raven ODST helmet.
I want to be able to get green and blue with ODST and gold / Vandal visor. That’s it. I want to get it easily enough by working for it, without having to spend real money to get a battle pass open and / or grind and grind and grind to unlock it. The fact that coatings allow something like one entire arm to be one color and another be a different color is absolutely sick, like Scorpion Punch. A green and blue version of scorpion punch would be cool for example.

What works for me won’t work for other people. Yes, I like working towards unlocking armor but I just don’t want it to feel like a chore to get simple colors I can have right off the bat in Halo 3. And I’m not even talking about primary and secondary colors. At least have all solid colorings be accessible from the beginning and the patterns be their own unlocks, I mean does Cosmic Corruption really need to be an unlock? It’s just a default, solid purple coloring. The customization in Infinite feels leaps and bounds better than Reach, EXCEPT for colors, at least as I understand them right now. Most of the coatings look beautiful too, and then some are eh. Even the one that’s a Gundam reference :wink:

There’s no ash marks on the ground when rocket or grenade explosions happen.

Little bit too much of a lack of blood

When you look down, you see through your torso instead of just your legs

The doors :door: on the map Bazaar are way taller than the 7 foot tall Spartans.