Flaws with The CEA Gametypes

Hey Community,
due to either oversight or lack of testing, several aspects of CEA gameplay are simply not accurate to the original, like the current jump height and movement speed. It is my opinion that these issues should be catalogued in order to allow 343 to correct said issues. This is not an opinion thread, so things such as “AA’s are great” should not be posted here, only things that are at odds with the original CE experience, regardless of whether or not they actually benefit gameplay

THE LIST

Flag cooldown time remains on the flag in Anniversary gametypes
One-hit melee kills with objectives
CTF should be touch returns
CTF should be flag-at-home-to-score
Pistol RoF slower than CE, should be close to identical
Pistol has bloom even when feathering the trigger, should be only when holding down
Pistol spread is too high, should be the same as CE
Jump height is too low, should be slightly more or the same as default jump height
Movement speed is too high, should be 100-110%
There should be no visual indicator of OS when picked up
4 grenades should be able to be carried at any one time
Players should spawn with 2 grenades
Health should not recharge whatsoever

The quick cooldown doesn’t affect normal juggling. I like it tbh. The only time the cooldown screws you is if you juggle incorrectly and need to pick the flag up right after you drop it.

Isn’t the point of juggling to sacrifice location knowledge for speed? The flag carrier cooldown gets rid of a significant portion of the speed advantage, making the tradeoff not really worth it.

Really, all of the Objective gametypes are screwed up. One-hit melee kills with objectives isn’t classic (well, besides the jump-melee in Halo 2, but that can’t be emulated). CTF should be touch returns and flag-at-home-to-score. And really, there shouldn’t be a motion sensor, although that’s more a personal classic setting.

Also I find that in anniversary slayer the fire rate of the pistol is reduced.

I’ve come up with a list of everything that’s wrong with the gametype and could actually be fixed:
Pistol RoF is too slow
pistol has bloom/spread, the xbox CE pistol had very little spread at far range even when holding down the trigger, none if you pulsed it.
jump height is too low
movement speed is slightly too high
strafe acceleration with the speed boost (120%) make it completely impossible to strafe

If I think of anything else I’ll add to the list.

> I’ve come up with a list of everything that’s wrong with the gametype and could actually be fixed:
> Pistol RoF is too slow
> pistol has bloom/spread, the xbox CE pistol had very little spread at far range even when holding down the trigger, none if you pulsed it.
> jump height is too low
> movement speed is slightly too high
> strafe acceleration with the speed boost (120%) make it completely impossible to strafe
>
> If I think of anything else I’ll add to the list.

[talking specifically about the classic playlist, not the other ones] i disagree about the pistol ROF being too slow. yes, CE was very fast, but this fast kill time really only worked because of the strafing / moving settings in CE being optimized so well. in reach we dont have that. they basically see you, and you explode instantly before you can do anything. if the kill time was increased (from being too fast to begin with), you would get shot once, and before you could even react you would have another hitscan bullet already ready to hit you again once their xbox told yours. you basically have .2 seconds to react, and start doing the most ridiculous strafe possible in hopes of dodging not only their third bullet, but also every other bullet after that, before you can get around a corner or break LOS. its impractical, to say the very least.

bloom should be removed. i agree 100% with this.

jump height is wayyy too low. i’d like 2 more increments, please.

i like the movementspeed how it is. i dont think strafing is impossible with 120% movement. why do you feel 120% movement is worse / harder than 110% movement? seems like, if anything, it would be EASIER to strafe with more movementspeed (more than 120 is too fast though lol)

> > I’ve come up with a list of everything that’s wrong with the gametype and could actually be fixed:
> > Pistol RoF is too slow
> > pistol has bloom/spread, the xbox CE pistol had very little spread at far range even when holding down the trigger, none if you pulsed it.
> > jump height is too low
> > movement speed is slightly too high
> > strafe acceleration with the speed boost (120%) make it completely impossible to strafe
> >
> > If I think of anything else I’ll add to the list.
>
> [talking specifically about the classic playlist, not the other ones] i disagree about the pistol ROF being too slow. yes, CE was very fast, but this fast kill time really only worked because of the strafing / moving settings in CE being optimized so well. in reach we dont have that. they basically see you, and you explode instantly before you can do anything. if the kill time was increased (from being too fast to begin with), you would get shot once, and before you could even react you would have another hitscan bullet already ready to hit you again once their xbox told yours. you basically have .2 seconds to react, and start doing the most ridiculous strafe possible in hopes of dodging not only their third bullet, but also every other bullet after that, before you can get around a corner or break LOS. its impractical, to say the very least.
>
> bloom should be removed. i agree 100% with this.
>
> jump height is wayyy too low. i’d like 2 more increments, please.
>
> i like the movementspeed how it is. i dont think strafing is impossible with 120% movement. why do you feel 120% movement is worse / harder than 110% movement? seems like, if anything, it would be EASIER to strafe with more movementspeed (more than 120 is too fast though lol)

Jump height actually isn’t that far off, in CE you had to crouch jump to get on top of the blocks in hang em high, you’re just barely unable to do that in the anniversary gametype. And strafing is harder with 120% speed because the gravity is still set to default, which makes it feel like ice skating.

DMR’s should also be removed due to not ever being in the original game.

Flag juggling does need to be fixed. So does the random pistol. 2 frag starts should make a return too, and if it’s possible, give us the ability to hold a total of 8 nades again.

> > I’ve come up with a list of everything that’s wrong with the gametype and could actually be fixed:
> > Pistol RoF is too slow
> > pistol has bloom/spread, the xbox CE pistol had very little spread at far range even when holding down the trigger, none if you pulsed it.
> > jump height is too low
> > movement speed is slightly too high
> > strafe acceleration with the speed boost (120%) make it completely impossible to strafe
> >
> > If I think of anything else I’ll add to the list.
>
> [talking specifically about the classic playlist, not the other ones] i disagree about the pistol ROF being too slow. yes, CE was very fast, but this fast kill time really only worked because of the strafing / moving settings in CE being optimized so well. in reach we dont have that. they basically see you, and you explode instantly before you can do anything. if the kill time was increased (from being too fast to begin with), you would get shot once, and before you could even react you would have another hitscan bullet already ready to hit you again once their xbox told yours. you basically have .2 seconds to react, and start doing the most ridiculous strafe possible in hopes of dodging not only their third bullet, but also every other bullet after that, before you can get around a corner or break LOS. its impractical, to say the very least.
>
> bloom should be removed. i agree 100% with this.
>
> jump height is wayyy too low. i’d like 2 more increments, please.
>
> i like the movementspeed how it is. i dont think strafing is impossible with 120% movement. why do you feel 120% movement is worse / harder than 110% movement? seems like, if anything, it would be EASIER to strafe with more movementspeed (more than 120 is too fast though lol)

We aren’t talking about what benifits gameplay here. Even if the 3sk Mag played like crap I’d want it not to be on here. Only post gameplay elements that are “at odds” with original CE gameplay, not what plays best, because then 343 can consider everything up here and decide whether or not to make changes.

> Flag juggling does need to be fixed. So does the random pistol. 2 frag starts should make a return too, and if it’s possible, give us the ability to hold a total of 8 nades again.

Pretty sure this is possible, seeing as you can have 4 off spawn.

OP edited :slight_smile:

Jump height is closest at 100%
Jump Height Comparison

Run speed is closest at 100%
Run speed comparison

I have established HCE had a faster fall rate than reach, although i dont think enough to warrant 150% gravity, but i’ll look into it some more and update

strafe is mostly used in one on one situation and as you both have lower strafe speed (yet to be proven), you would both have the same chance of killing each other as you would if you both had a faster strafe, so that one fixes it’s self in my opinion, but i’m all for 343 patching strafe, I don’t think bad players would notcie any difference and the people that do care about it would love them for it, so a patch for strafe speed would be win win for 343

There are DMR’s on the Classic version of Beaver Creek which there shouldn’t be?

Also why do you want to go back to default speed of 100? That’s idiotic, default Reach is way too slow. 120 speed is great.

> There are DMR’s on the Classic version of Beaver Creek which there shouldn’t be?
>
> Also why do you want to go back to default speed of 100? That’s idiotic, default Reach is way too slow. 120 speed is great.

that’s just your personal opinion, I hate 120% speed and much prefer 100% speed + sprint, that is just my opinion, neither opinion should make any difference to the settings used in a classic playlist because the settings need to reflect the orginal settings

> > There are DMR’s on the Classic version of Beaver Creek which there shouldn’t be?
> >
> > Also why do you want to go back to default speed of 100? That’s idiotic, default Reach is way too slow. 120 speed is great.
>
> that’s just your personal opinion, I hate 120% speed and much prefer 100% speed + sprint, that is just my opinion, neither opinion should make any difference to the settings used in a classic playlist because the settings need to reflect the orginal settings

Sprint is bad for gameplay, you feel like it’s speeding you up, but it’s not. You have slower base speed as a result from it, and it takes the skill out of escaping combat, where you once had to out predict your opponent. Not to mention you can’t shoot or reload when sprinting and it makes others movements become unpredictable in a way that they could be running at two different speeds, not that they are moving unpredictably themselves. Basically instead of moving unpredictably yourself, and trying to out predict your opponent, you now can just press a button.

> > > There are DMR’s on the Classic version of Beaver Creek which there shouldn’t be?
> > >
> > > Also why do you want to go back to default speed of 100? That’s idiotic, default Reach is way too slow. 120 speed is great.
> >
> > that’s just your personal opinion, I hate 120% speed and much prefer 100% speed + sprint, that is just my opinion, neither opinion should make any difference to the settings used in a classic playlist because the settings need to reflect the orginal settings
>
> Sprint is bad for gameplay, you feel like it’s speeding you up, but it’s not. You have slower base speed as a result from it, and it takes the skill out of escaping combat, where you once had to out predict your opponent. Not to mention you can’t shoot or reload when sprinting and it makes others movements become unpredictable in a way that they could be running at two different speeds, not that they are moving unpredictably themselves. Basically instead of moving unpredictably yourself, and trying to out predict your opponent, you now can just press a button.

You have an base speed that is 2% out from previous Halos, plus you have the ability to sprint at 163% of your base speed, I like the coontrol I have while moving at 100% speed and I like the speed I feel sprinting at 163% I find a complete lack of control at all times moving at 120% speed and i guess that is why it was never in any of the other Halos and was taken out of MLG, but there is no point arguing over it as it has nothing to do with this thread, plus I dont care.

On topic, I did a comparison vid for the HCE pistol to the HCEA pistol and it’s actually not too bad, but yes its deffo not right and could use tweaking: HCE vs HCEA Pistols

> > > >
> >
> > On topic, I did a comparison vid for the HCE pistol to the HCEA pistol and it’s actually not too bad, but yes its deffo not right and could use tweaking: HCE vs HCEA Pistols
>
> You left out the only comparison that really matters, firing at the maximum rate of fire without holding down the trigger. Why would you only compare the 2 types of firing that no one uses?

> > > > >
> > >
> > > On topic, I did a comparison vid for the HCE pistol to the HCEA pistol and it’s actually not too bad, but yes its deffo not right and could use tweaking: HCE vs HCEA Pistols
> >
> > You left out the only comparison that really matters, firing at the maximum rate of fire without holding down the trigger. Why would you only compare the 2 types of firing that no one uses?
>
> exactly. This is the sole reason the pistol now sucks. You should be able to fire at a maximum rate of fire with individual trigger pulls while maintaining LITTLE TO NONE bullet spread.

> > > > >
> > >
> > > On topic, I did a comparison vid for the HCE pistol to the HCEA pistol and it’s actually not too bad, but yes its deffo not right and could use tweaking: HCE vs HCEA Pistols
> >
> > You left out the only comparison that really matters, firing at the maximum rate of fire without holding down the trigger. Why would you only compare the 2 types of firing that no one uses?
>
> paced shooting is paced shooting as long at the trigger isnt being held down it makes no odds