Flashbacks (campaign mission idea)

Since master chief is going to be wearing his old armor back, I thought it would be cool if we had a campaign mission where there are flashback to Halo 2/3 timeline where you will have Cortana as your companion, they could just give us part of the missions in H2 or H3 but in better graphics and with halo infinite gameplay mechanics. I thought it would be a great opportunity to introduce the nostalgia factor to the game (we could see sergeant johnson again!) it wouldn’t have to be a whole mission, just 5-10 min of the original mission in H:infinite.

what do you guys think?

I don’t really see the point if it’s just for nostalgia. Flashback missions worked in scenario like ODST, but it was designed that way. I wouldn’t want flashbacks in Infinite just for the sake of seeing old characters or how things used to be. It would have to be meaningful to the story, progress the plot in a non-contrived/cliched way. Infinite is going to be a new game, after all, not a remaster. Is there any game franchise where a newer installment makes you play through sections from previous games? I can’t think of any.

Also, H2 and H3 are in the same timeline as Infinite. You probably meant time period instead of timeline.

Eh, I don’t think that’s a good idea for the game. There are much better ways to introduce nostalgia to the player other than just handing them a section of Halo 2 or something to play through. A mission like that would also be a pretty large interruption in the narrative too.

I also don’t think having flashbacks like in ODST would work either, as the game revolved around the Rookie needing to locate his squad again, which required hunting through the city to find traces of them, with all events happening in the span of a day.

A much better way to introduce nostalgia to the player is to put them in situations similar to those in which they’ve been in in previous games, but subtly. It could just be hearing a line of dialogue (I need a weapon), or crashing on a Halo (a good example is Cortana still having the index from Installation 04 in Halo 3, so they can light 04b at the end of the game). Or putting a “Fight for Her” poster somewhere in the game (there was one in the trailer). But having you play part of a previous game is just too much, and unfitting.

> 2533274825195047;1:
> Since master chief is going to be wearing his old armor back, I thought it would be cool if we had a campaign mission where there are flashback to Halo 2/3 timeline where you will have Cortana as your companion, they could just give us part of the missions in H2 or H3 but in better graphics and with halo infinite gameplay mechanics. I thought it would be a great opportunity to introduce the nostalgia factor to the game (we could see sergeant johnson again!) it wouldn’t have to be a whole mission, just 5-10 min of the original mission in H:infinite.
>
> what do you guys think?

It looks like there’s going to be a lot of nostalgia missions anyway judging from the trailer. Complete with what is probably a Cortana 2.0.

They’ve already introduced Blueteam. Do they need to have us relive rescuing Cortana in Halo 3 to remind us that he might have messed her up? A cinematic could address that more easily for same effect.