Flares in Halo 4?

So I had this idea when Reach first came out. What if we were able to obtain flares in Halo 4? Flares would come in handy in many different situations such as-

-An ally is flying in a flacon with no mic, and you want to get in. Instead of shooting at him, you can simply take a flare out (Or with any other vehicle too)

-To signal that you are in need of assistance, you can take a flare out to signal your location (Most useful if searching with randoms)

-And this isn’t as realistic, but what if you’re playing on a map with a night setting. How cool would it be to pull out a flare for better visibility?

Now the color of your flare would depend on what team you’re on. For example, blue team has blue flares, while red team has red flares. The flares are bright, and have a trail of smoke following them (smoke color depends on what teams you’re on)

Kind of like this-Flare Example

Now you when you choose to activate your flare, you will have 2 options-

1- Hold your flare, but you can only pull out a sidearms weapon (Pistol, plasma pistol, etc.)
2- Drop your flare and no longer be in control of it

Flares will not be in FFA, and I think, would be a fun addition to Custom Games

Edit- Or we could have some flares where you shoot then in the sky, and they gradually fall back down. Kind of like this- Shooting Flare Example
Of course same rules apply as the other flare

Thoughts?

Sounds great! I would love to be able to actually signal my teammates, but it would be a dead give-away at where you are to the other team. That’s the fun of it.

> Sounds great! I would love to be able to actually signal my teammates, but it would be a dead give-away at where you are to the other team. That’s the fun of it.

Exactly! I think it’s balanced enough, because as you said, there are pro’s and con’s to it

> > Sounds great! I would love to be able to actually signal my teammates, but it would be a dead give-away at where you are to the other team. That’s the fun of it.
>
> Exactly! I think it’s balanced enough, because as you said, there are pro’s and con’s to it

It would be pretty fun to trick your enemies with them too.

Flares would be incredible, especially in darker maps. :slight_smile:

Wow, brilliant idea. Honestly, compared to all the other ideas i’ve been seeing lately this is one of the best.
It’s balanced, adds to teamwork, and wouldn’t disturb gameplay.

> Wow, brilliant idea. Honestly, compared to all the other ideas i’ve been seeing lately this is one of the best.
> It’s balanced, adds to teamwork, and wouldn’t disturb gameplay.

Which would you prefer though; The flares you hold, or shoot in the air?

> Flares would be incredible, especially in darker maps. :slight_smile:

Imagine infection on dark maps with it :smiley:

Out of all the ideas on the forums lately this has to be the best idea ive seen on here. It wuldnt be overpowered really and it has pros and cons. Maybe youu culd even throw like a grenade to mark enemy locations or something for teamates that dont know callouts? Id say it probably work out best as like a grenade pick up on the map IMO.

Are they going to redirect rockets when you use them? Like what flares are intentionally used for? Just wondering.

I never bother to post here when reading people’s ideas, but this idea is great! I really support that idea! It helps people to play more with team spirit! (y)

> Are they going to redirect rockets when you use them? Like what flares are intentionally used for? Just wondering.

That’d be OP.

> > Are they going to redirect rockets when you use them? Like what flares are intentionally used for? Just wondering.
>
> That’d be OP.

True. I just didn’t want rockets to become useless when taking down air vehicles.

> Thanks :smiley:
> Which would you prefer though; The flares you hold, or shoot in the air?

No problem! I’d prefer being able to shoot them in the air, that would be a lot easier to attract attention to the hornets/falcons. It’d also serve as a distress call, which sounds pretty cool when your teammates don’t have mikes or you can’t communicate with them.

This would be a brilliant addition. I don’t have a mic and as such, entering an allies vehicle just comes down to luck. I like this idea, good thinking.

Could work…but seeing how helmets and HUDs work in Halo it would be a bit redundant, as you could also simply put a nav. marker on your position :wink:

Still, it would add some atmosphere to some darker levels. And I think it would work really well in Firefight, or to tag some area for a Longsword bombing run (similar to the MAC blast).
But I think they should be made like grenades then, to work properly.

“Much smaller than a big solar flare.”
-Neil Gehrels

I had suggested similar idea of flares earlier also. IMO I would really like to see flares in Halo 4. Like placeable ones, what you basicly stick them into ground and they would burn in X amount of time.
And ones what you could hold in one hand and shoot with other hand would be good, when using small- arms weapons.
So yeah I believe that flares can bring interesting elements in maps & gameplay, with ability of bringing light. I also would love to see Infection gametype, where the map is dark, and all light what you have, are your flashlight (attached in your gun), few lamps & and flares what you can use.

inb4 players trolling campers on their own team by dumping flares on camo’d snipers.

trollolololo~

> Out of all the ideas on the forums lately this has to be the best idea ive seen on here. It wuldnt be overpowered really and it has pros and cons. Maybe youu culd even throw like a grenade to mark enemy locations or something for teamates that dont know callouts? Id say it probably work out best as like a grenade pick up on the map IMO.

Yeah, or instead of grenades it could be some kind of equipment?

It’s a cool idea, but did everyone forget we had flares in Halo 3 as equipment?

Though they weren’t colored…