Fixing playlist issues

addressing the elephant in the room. There’s already many threads about it, and I’ve said a bunch of stuff about it already myself. There’s so much to read through, and players are basically cut off between it feeling great for some, while others want an overhaul of the most fundamental mechanic to the game.

Aiming.

So first off…I played a ton of halo 5 (been playing since ce tho, but just saying I’ve stayed active on the most recent release) I played infinite and immediately noticed some stark contrast between the aiming, hit boxes, bullet magnetism, aim assist, default preset settings, and how our Spartans move during combat when we strafe.

Halo 5 practically GIFTS players a lot of shots it shouldn’t when you really pay close attention. Like in that game…it’s basically like you can aim with your outer reticle while in infinite your center reticle is the key. This is so noticeable if you watch people warm up in an octagon match or do one yourself in halo 5. I love halo 5 but playing the 2 and really looking at their differences really changed my perspective on some things. Halo 5 also has faster advanced innate movement through abilities, and players can randomly shift direction in their strafe. Its a hate love thing for most people. Halo infinite has what feels to be higher base movement and/or immediate direction shifts in strafing. It feels great to 1v1, but seems to be a bit too much for some players.

So…here’s a few thoughts.

In mcc, for halo reach there’s social and there’s the ranked playlist. There is quite a contrast between the 2 in terms of how fast base movement is between the 2. (H3 might have an mlg playlist and a social playlist that also does this… i know in the original it dude for its standard playlists and MLG playlist)With the target moving slower, aim is more manageable for the casual and social experiences. A player who really loves ranked will not like these settings and more than likely will play ranked where movement speed is faster. Which is also good. I don’t think I need to explain why, but I can if it’s not as obvious to others .

So here’s some settings I suggest.

Mcc also has “modern aiming” as a selectable option in it.

In our settings menu, allow us to change ALL values by .1 up or down. Within the settings, allow for a “preset” aiming scheme. 1 can be called “Legacy aiming” which will mimic the settings of halo 3 classic feeling in terms of default DZ for inner, outer, sense curve etc. If a player wants to individually change the presets from there, it switches over to “custom” but brings all the defaults of “Legacy”. Baseline for legacy or modern can always be achieved by a quick revert back.

No…343…DON’T REMOVE our current settings. Some of us found a sweet spot we wouldn’t like to lose.

Playlist settings.

Social slayer, objective, Fiesta, and all other social modes

• reduced movement speed.
  • AR, side kick starts.
    -radar range 25m, radar default settings
  • weapon pads and equipment default.
  • all maps in rotation
  • equipment usages may be modified +

Ranked playlists
-normal movement speed

• radar range 18m(this is what it is right now right?), radar default settings. Radar off for FFA and swat
  • All maps geared towards that mode. All maps do not play well with every single mode.
  • BR starts (swat TBD. Perhaps a select few variants within the playlist)
  • set weapon pads, not random
  • set equipment, not random
  • equipment usage might be modified -

Hcs playlists

• tournament mode -
    A mix of slayer and objective played out on a select amount of optimized maps for tournament play.

• Normal movement speed

• BR starts

• Radar set with tournament settings. Players only visible while sprinting, firing, not visible at base movement speed.

• set weapon pads, equipment, and modified equipment usage to be determined.

• doubles hcs
    No radar, all other settings carried over from tournament settings.

• FFA hcs
    No radar, all other settings carried over from tournament settings.

Br starts May or may not include side kick as a secondary.

Training mode, and bots will now have an additional setting to include training and or warm ups for the reduced movement speed in social or normal movement speed. Same with drills.

Any thoughts, feedback, what can be done better or what doesn’t fit let’s brain storm together. There may be additional playlists and or game modes I did not cover. We can discuss those as well.

I agree with pretty much everything you say here, I really hope 343 nail the playlist settings at launch because I think with Halo 5 they really tried to keep default settings to align with the HCS playlist and this just isnt going to work. There are so many different types of Halo player and we cant have settings that everyone is going to enjoy. I also like that you bring up HCS doubles as I really enjoy playing the Doubles playlist, but get annoyed by them having default settings instead of HCS. Social doubles can be a thing alongside ranked Doubles to prevent this.

If the game came out with the settings you listed above I’d love it.

> 2533274812735572;2:
> I agree with pretty much everything you say here, I really hope 343 nail the playlist settings at launch because I think with Halo 5 they really tried to keep default settings to align with the HCS playlist and this just isnt going to work. There are so many different types of Halo player and we cant have settings that everyone is going to enjoy. I also like that you bring up HCS doubles as I really enjoy playing the Doubles playlist, but get annoyed by them having default settings instead of HCS. Social doubles can be a thing alongside ranked Doubles to prevent this.
>
> If the game came out with the settings you listed above I’d love it.

I feel the same way. Even for ranked slayer, some people love default radar in it and some don’t. Some hate the AR in it and some want it as a secondary. The bottom line is that the game will have much more success by default simply by having more playlists at the start. More things to try, different settings the player may or may not like.

Away with “rotational” playlists. The ONLY time a rotational playlisy should ever come into a halo game is if it’s an entirely new game mode we have never seen…available for a short duration for us to opt in for feedback on the forums in order to polish the new game mode with the correct settings to optimize it as a PERMANENT playlist. I think players would love to see a huge variety.