Fix Arena already

Reach Arena as is, is a competitive joke. It’s going into it’s 9th season, and there are still tons of problems with it.

Problems with Arena right now:

• The Maps:
    Reflection, Sword Base and Powerhouse all favor red spawn from the start. How is it even remotely fair, let alone competitive when one team basically gets an auto win? Spawning red on SB gets you: Shotgun, Grenade Launcher, Sniper, and top control. Reflection red spawn nets you rockets, shotgun, and jetpacking easily up to sniper, then easy top control. Powerhouse you get top DMR control instantly off spawn, and you spawn basically beside Rockets.

• Armor Abilities:
    AA’s in general are a joke to start off with, and aside from sprint, they should only be map pickups like MLG has. Jetpack easily breaks any map in Arena, even the best. Let’s take Kingdom for example: great map design which amplifies teamwork and team shooting. Give the teams Jetpack? People fly literally outside the map to recover shields, and over your base into soft kill zones to watch you spawns and recover shields when beaten. Any map control gained is easily lost to a team of jetpackers.

• Bloom:
    Let’s face it, it’s broken. We’ve been over this. Please put the bloomless DMR into Arena for truly competitive play.

• Boosting and Cheating:
    Boosting in Halo 3 was fine. If someone wanted to boost an account to a 50, go right ahead. No one cared, because no one was affected. Now, people spend the last week of every season playing with booster accounts to get easy wins and displace those players who earned their single digit Onyx. Cheating is also a big deal, with many accounts running Arena and standbying or booting teams when losing. Network manipulation is against the rules, and the cheaters are known, yet nothing is done about them.

Solutions:

• Take all AA’s out of Arena except for Sprint.

• Take out all the bad maps: SB, Reflection, Powerhouse.

• Bloomless DMR for better competitive play.

• Deal with the cheaters who are ruining matches, just to illegitimately get wins for a placement they don’t deserve.

Forgot one thing…

[Broken trueskill.](http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/GameStats.aspx?gameid=787946960&player=JAMES 24993)

EDIT: Link not working for some reason D:

But it was basically a game where we lost 15-50 and my whole team quit. I went -20 and tere were two onyx players on the other team while I’m a lolsilver…

Horribly unbalanced…

Not only is Arena a competitive joke, but Reach in general is a giant competitive joke. Reach is however a paradise for casuals.

> Forgot one thing…
>
> [url=http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/GameStats.aspx?gameid=787946960&player=JAMES >Broken trueskill.
>
> EDIT: Link not working for some reason D:
>
> But it was basically a game where we lost 15-50 and my whole team quit. I went -20 and tere were two onyx players on the other team while I’m a lolsilver…
>
> Horribly unbalanced…

Well, that actually makes sense. You were probably on a winning streak of sorts, so it matched you against better players. You have to beat the best to take their place.

> > Forgot one thing…
> >
> > [url=http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/GameStats.aspx?gameid=787946960&player=JAMES >Broken trueskill.
> >
> > EDIT: Link not working for some reason D:
> >
> > But it was basically a game where we lost 15-50 and my whole team quit. I went -20 and tere were two onyx players on the other team while I’m a lolsilver…
> >
> > Horribly unbalanced…
>
> Well, that actually makes sense. You were probably on a winning streak of sorts, so it matched you against better players. You have to beat the best to take their place.

50-15

Can’t the game figure it out yet? I’m not the best. I have no desire to be the best. What’s the point of trueskill if everytime you get an uneven match people just call it an oppertunity to prove themselves…I just want to be matched agains equally skilled players and have a fun, challenging close match. I play arena as it supposedly as the best loltrueskill…And just to point out I was playing with “skill” search restriction enabled.

> > > Forgot one thing…
> > >
> > > [url=http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/GameStats.aspx?gameid=787946960&player=JAMES >Broken trueskill.
> > >
> > > EDIT: Link not working for some reason D:
> > >
> > > But it was basically a game where we lost 15-50 and my whole team quit. I went -20 and tere were two onyx players on the other team while I’m a lolsilver…
> > >
> > > Horribly unbalanced…
> >
> > Well, that actually makes sense. You were probably on a winning streak of sorts, so it matched you against better players. You have to beat the best to take their place.
>
> 50-15
>
> Can’t the game figure it out yet? I’m not the best. I have no desire to be the best. What’s the point of trueskill if everytime you get an uneven match people just call it an oppertunity to prove themselves…I just want to be matched agains equally skilled players and have a fun, challenging close match. I play arena as it supposedly as the best loltrueskill…And just to point out I was playing with “skill” search restriction enabled.

Because depending on how many games you had played that season, you could have matched anyone. It takes around 100 games for your trueskill to be placed, and until then, the game is trying to get a guess at your trueskill.

There’s nothing wrong with competition, or playing and losing to better players. It will only help you.

> > > > Forgot one thing…
> > > >
> > > > [url=http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/GameStats.aspx?gameid=787946960&player=JAMES >Broken trueskill.
> > > >
> > > > EDIT: Link not working for some reason D:
> > > >
> > > > But it was basically a game where we lost 15-50 and my whole team quit. I went -20 and tere were two onyx players on the other team while I’m a lolsilver…
> > > >
> > > > Horribly unbalanced…
> > >
> > > Well, that actually makes sense. You were probably on a winning streak of sorts, so it matched you against better players. You have to beat the best to take their place.
> >
> > 50-15
> >
> > Can’t the game figure it out yet? I’m not the best. I have no desire to be the best. What’s the point of trueskill if everytime you get an uneven match people just call it an oppertunity to prove themselves…I just want to be matched agains equally skilled players and have a fun, challenging close match. I play arena as it supposedly as the best loltrueskill…And just to point out I was playing with “skill” search restriction enabled.
>
> Because depending on how many games you had played that season, you could have matched anyone. It takes around 100 games for your trueskill to be placed, and until then, the game is trying to get a guess at your trueskill.
>
> There’s nothing wrong with competition, or playing and losing to better players. It will only help you.

Sorry. But I just don’t have the patience to sit through 100 games of that or the complete opposite…neither are fun for me :frowning:

I also thought quitters were supposed to get horrible divisions, yet one guy on my team was gold and quit out the second we were losing…

Gold is relatively pretty bad. Quitting once or twice won’t affect you really. Quitting every other game is just asking for Iron.

> Gold is relatively pretty bad. Quitting once or twice won’t affect you really. Quitting every other game is just asking for Iron.

That’s more proof the system is broken. I know I can’t really talk bieng only silver, but getting in onyx is way too easy.

> Not only is Arena a competitive joke, but Reach in general is a giant competitive joke. Reach is however a paradise for casuals.

I never actually got the point to Arena mode, just look at team doubles now. Majority of kids who play team doubles either quit the match or go afk cause they suck.

To some, Reach is a paradise for casuals, to others it doesn’t matter since they can still out-shoot & out-play them.

I myself is a casual competitor, meaning that i prefer to win and i try to rake in my fair share of kills while enjoying the game.

> > Gold is relatively pretty bad. Quitting once or twice won’t affect you really. Quitting every other game is just asking for Iron.
>
> That’s more proof the system is broken. I know I can’t really talk bieng only silver, but getting in onyx is way too easy.

The sad part is that Onyx is just 5% of the population that plays Arena. Just imagine: how bad everyone else is considering how easy it is to get Onyx.

> > > Gold is relatively pretty bad. Quitting once or twice won’t affect you really. Quitting every other game is just asking for Iron.
> >
> > That’s more proof the system is broken. I know I can’t really talk bieng only silver, but getting in onyx is way too easy.
>
> The sad part is that Onyx is just 5% of the population that plays Arena. Just imagine: how bad everyone else is considering how easy it is to get Onyx.

It should just judge you by your own skill rather than relative to other peoples…I’m not sure if this was some attempt to raise the skill ceiling but it kind of failed and-if anything- lowered it.

> Reach Arena as is, is a competitive joke. It’s going into it’s 9th season, and there are still tons of problems with it.
>
> Problems with Arena right now:
>
> - The Maps:
> Reflection, Sword Base and Powerhouse all favor red spawn from the start. How is it even remotely fair, let alone competitive when one team basically gets an auto win? Spawning red on SB gets you: Shotgun, Grenade Launcher, Sniper, and top control. Reflection red spawn nets you rockets, shotgun, and jetpacking easily up to sniper, then easy top control. Powerhouse you get top DMR control instantly off spawn, and you spawn basically beside Rockets.
>
> - Armor Abilities:
> AA’s in general are a joke to start off with, and aside from sprint, they should only be map pickups like MLG has. Jetpack easily breaks any map in Arena, even the best. Let’s take Kingdom for example: great map design which amplifies teamwork and team shooting. Give the teams Jetpack? People fly literally outside the map to recover shields, and over your base into soft kill zones to watch you spawns and recover shields when beaten. Any map control gained is easily lost to a team of jetpackers.
>
> - Bloom:
> Let’s face it, it’s broken. We’ve been over this. Please put the bloomless DMR into Arena for truly competitive play.
>
> - Boosting and Cheating:
> Boosting in Halo 3 was fine. If someone wanted to boost an account to a 50, go right ahead. No one cared, because no one was affected. Now, people spend the last week of every season playing with booster accounts to get easy wins and displace those players who earned their single digit Onyx. Cheating is also a big deal, with many accounts running Arena and standbying or booting teams when losing. Network manipulation is against the rules, and the cheaters are known, yet nothing is done about them.
>
> Solutions:
> - Take all AA’s out of Arena except for Sprint.
>
> - Take out all the bad maps: SB, Reflection, Powerhouse.
>
> - Bloomless DMR for better competitive play.
>
> - Deal with the cheaters who are ruining matches, just to illegitimately get wins for a placement they don’t deserve.

Troll

arena can’t be fixed

> arena can’t be fixed

I will be the Batman to Arena.

It’s not beyond saving.

the map selection in Reach is an atorcity

I agree with everything you said in the OP, but there are two more issues that I think should be addressed too. First, Arena rank should be made visible beside a player’s CR rank in all lobbies. This will provide more incentive for people to try arena and give a greater reward to those who play it already. Second, Arena rank should update after every game, or at the very least every hour. I think the lack of instant gratification in arena drives some players away.