First time I'm not buying DLC for a Halo game

Simply put, I don’t think 343 and Microsoft deserve the extra money at this point.

Bungie loved their game and they proved it by consistently interacting with and listening to the community that supported them. It was a unique relationship between a developer and its fanbase that couldn’t be found anywhere else in the console market. It not only helped to keep Halo relevant after COD shifted the entire market in a different direction, it also ensured that the Halo series continued to be a retail monster for both Bungie and Microsoft.

With each successive release from Halo 2 to Reach, Bungie managed to keep the core gameplay of Halo intact while adding gameplay elements that wouldn’t interfere with it. A difficult, sometimes game-killing, balancing act for any developer trying to succeed a massively popular title with a follow up. They did so while at the same time rewarding their fanbase with in-game mechanics and features, like screenshots, theater, file-share, and forge that not only galvanized the community, but helped expand and tie it all together. Giving Halo a distinct presence in the FPS market and its loyal fans a sense of purpose and vested ownership in the game. Unlike any other shooter in this generation of consoles Bungie made sure…with each new game, to ‘give back’

To this point, 343 have not done that. I don’t know what their plans are, or what timeline they have particular things penciled into. All I know is that they’ve taken gameplay elements and popular features OUT of their version of Halo. It doesn’t make sense to continue and pay more for less does it?

Then there’s the reality of what they did to the playlists in Reach. I spent the money, I bought their maps, only to have them turn around and all but remove them from matchmaking. That was pretty much a giant middle finger to everyone that purchased those map-packs. So, why let them do that to me again.

I am not going to vote because I am not getting the maps for a different reason:

The maps do not look good. The game needs more small, competitive maps, not more big, vehicle maps.

it’s a good reason and one that’s not really represented in my poll.

Hm. Interesting results your poll is displaying.

Still undecided right now.

Probably not though, I play Spartan Ops far more than War Games.

> Hm. Interesting results your poll is displaying.

yeah… kinda surprises me to be honest. for all the negativity on these forums about 4, Ida thought the fourth option would be lit up.

> Simply put, I don’t think 343 and Microsoft deserve the extra money at this point.
>
> Bungie loved their game and they proved it by consistently interacting with and listening to the community that supported them. It was a unique relationship between a developer and its fanbase that couldn’t be found anywhere else in the console market. It not only helped to keep Halo relevant after COD shifted the entire market in a different direction, it also ensured that the Halo series continued to be a retail monster for both Bungie and Microsoft.
>
> With each successive release from Halo 2 to Reach, Bungie managed to keep the core gameplay of Halo intact while adding gameplay elements that wouldn’t interfere with it. A difficult, sometimes game-killing, balancing act for any developer trying to succeed a massively popular title with a follow up. They did so while at the same time rewarding their fanbase with in-game mechanics and features, like screenshots, theater, file-share, and forge that not only galvanized the community, but helped expand and tie it all together. Giving Halo a distinct presence in the FPS market and its loyal fans a sense of purpose and vested ownership in the game. Unlike any other shooter in this generation of consoles Bungie made sure…with each new game, to ‘give back’
>
> To this point, 343 have not done that. I don’t know what their plans are, or what timeline they have particular things penciled into. All I know is that they’ve taken gameplay elements and popular features OUT of their version of Halo. It doesn’t make sense to continue and pay more for less does it?
>
> Then there’s the reality of what they did to the playlists in Reach. I spent the money, I bought their maps, only to have them turn around and all but remove them from matchmaking. That was pretty much a giant middle finger to everyone that purchased those map-packs. So, why let them do that to me again.

You have your reasons and that’s cool, but to clear up a few things for everyone else reading your post:
-343 Are listening. For example, https://forums.halowaypoint.com/yaf_postst130475_Issues-being-investigated.aspx
-Bungie weren’t always listening and/or responding either in a timely fashion or at all, especially when it came to Reach. The real fixes in Reach came when 343 took it over.
-Bungie changed the core of Halo with every game, Reach being the most significant and some would say the first noticeable step towards a COD like experience.
-I’ll agree that 343 did take some things out, but Bungie were also as guilty with this, especially when they stripped down theater mode in ODST, ie. not being able to record clips from campaign or firefight and not being able to rewind. It was practically not usable anyway. Bungie also removed custom games options in Reach -Yoink!- a lot of people off.

You can call the things 343 removed a middle finger or perhaps a sign that the 360 has far reached the end of its life cycle and they had to remove some things to make it all work.

Still don’t know.
Will season pass always be for sale???

Just proves that the vocal ones pushing their hate ARE the minority. I am not surprised by the results at all.

> Just proves that the vocal ones pushing their hate ARE the minority. I am not surprised by the results at all.

or there are those who didn’t vote; for example, me because my answer is not up there. but to clarify, i’m not getting the dlc. i don’t undertand why 9 future maps cost $30 which is half of what the full game cost.
$60 for full game.
$30 for 9 maps.
the pricing needs to be adjusted, i don’t have that kind of money to just be throwing it around at every new dlc that comes out. the maps need to either be free or cost $0.40-$0.80 per map. i’m already paying for gold membership just to play online. another $30 for 9 new maps for a refreshing online experience is not worth it.

> > Simply put, I don’t think 343 and Microsoft deserve the extra money at this point.
> >
> > Bungie loved their game and they proved it by consistently interacting with and listening to the community that supported them. It was a unique relationship between a developer and its fanbase that couldn’t be found anywhere else in the console market. It not only helped to keep Halo relevant after COD shifted the entire market in a different direction, it also ensured that the Halo series continued to be a retail monster for both Bungie and Microsoft.
> >
> > With each successive release from Halo 2 to Reach, Bungie managed to keep the core gameplay of Halo intact while adding gameplay elements that wouldn’t interfere with it. A difficult, sometimes game-killing, balancing act for any developer trying to succeed a massively popular title with a follow up. They did so while at the same time rewarding their fanbase with in-game mechanics and features, like screenshots, theater, file-share, and forge that not only galvanized the community, but helped expand and tie it all together. Giving Halo a distinct presence in the FPS market and its loyal fans a sense of purpose and vested ownership in the game. Unlike any other shooter in this generation of consoles Bungie made sure…with each new game, to ‘give back’
> >
> > To this point, 343 have not done that. I don’t know what their plans are, or what timeline they have particular things penciled into. All I know is that they’ve taken gameplay elements and popular features OUT of their version of Halo. It doesn’t make sense to continue and pay more for less does it?
> >
> > Then there’s the reality of what they did to the playlists in Reach. I spent the money, I bought their maps, only to have them turn around and all but remove them from matchmaking. That was pretty much a giant middle finger to everyone that purchased those map-packs. So, why let them do that to me again.
>
> You have your reasons and that’s cool, but to clear up a few things for everyone else reading your post:
> -343 Are listening. For example, https://forums.halowaypoint.com/yaf_postst130475_Issues-being-investigated.aspx
> -Bungie weren’t always listening and/or responding either in a timely fashion or at all, especially when it came to Reach. The real fixes in Reach came when 343 took it over.
> -Bungie changed the core of Halo with every game, Reach being the most significant and some would say the first noticeable step towards a COD like experience.
> -I’ll agree that 343 did take some things out, but Bungie were also as guilty with this, especially when they stripped down theater mode in ODST, ie. not being able to record clips from campaign or firefight and not being able to rewind. It was practically not usable anyway. Bungie also removed custom games options in Reach -Yoink!- a lot of people off.
>
> You can call the things 343 removed a middle finger or perhaps a sign that the 360 has far reached the end of its life cycle and they had to remove some things to make it all work.

I gotta disagree. The ‘core’ gameplay; weapon and map control, is consistent from the first Halo through Reach. In my opinion, Bungie is about the only developer to change the gameplay with each release by supplementing it as opposed to overhauling it. I get what your saying about Reach but in all honesty I still don’t quite understand why this game is so polarizing, it still played like the Halo I knew. They just added AA’s to the game. I think it enhanced the gameplay, made it more interesting… i.e. using Armor Lock sometimes turned into a chess match when you ran up against someone else using it, Jetpacks and rockets… absolute blast. (no pun intended)
I think Halo 4 is the first game to truly ‘overhaul’ the gameplay and just takes some getting used to. Reach is still there, as is Halo 3. So I really have no complaints about 343 evolving the series.
I just have a problem with this DLC, 1 month after the game released with a paltry and inexcusable number of maps. Obviously, this DLC was all but done when 4 hit the shelves.
and again… that little streamlining thing they did to the playlists in Reach.

I already bought all the map packs. And LOL at the people that seem to think they don’t care and aren’t listening. I guess you people just expect them to jump at every complaint you have. They’ve already said they are working on major title updates. What more do you want?

> > Just proves that the vocal ones pushing their hate ARE the minority. I am not surprised by the results at all.
>
> or there are those who didn’t vote; for example, me because my answer is not up there. but to clarify, i’m not getting the dlc. i don’t undertand why 9 future maps cost $30 which is half of what the full game cost.
> $60 for full game.
> $30 for 9 maps.
> the pricing needs to be adjusted, i don’t have that kind of money to just be throwing it around at every new dlc that comes out. the maps need to either be free or cost $0.40-$0.80 per map. i’m already paying for gold membership just to play online. another $30 for 9 new maps for a refreshing online experience is not worth it.

Wow 3 maps for 10 bucks is a rip off now? You want 9 maps for 5 bucks? I remember the days of reach where maps were 5 bucks each… If 30 dollars is too much for u, maybe u should play Xbox less and work more…

My LE comes with the map pass so getting the map packs is something I have no control over, so I can’t really vote…

> I already bought all the map packs. And LOL at the people that seem to think they don’t care and aren’t listening. I guess you people just expect them to jump at every complaint you have. They’ve already said they are working on major title updates. <mark>What more do you want?</mark>

make it affordable and reasonable. $25 for the map pass/ $30 if you buy them seperately is not affordable nor reasonable.

> > > Just proves that the vocal ones pushing their hate ARE the minority. I am not surprised by the results at all.
> >
> > or there are those who didn’t vote; for example, me because my answer is not up there. but to clarify, i’m not getting the dlc. i don’t undertand why 9 future maps cost $30 which is half of what the full game cost.
> > $60 for full game.
> > $30 for 9 maps.
> > the pricing needs to be adjusted, i don’t have that kind of money to just be throwing it around at every new dlc that comes out. the maps need to either be free or cost $0.40-$0.80 per map. i’m already paying for gold membership just to play online. another $30 for 9 new maps for a refreshing online experience is not worth it.
>
> Wow 3 maps for 10 bucks is a rip off now? You want 9 maps for 5 bucks? I remember the days of reach where maps were 5 bucks each… If 30 dollars is too much for u, maybe u should play Xbox less and work more…

you have no idea that you’ve been ripped off your entire life. i feel sorry for you.

and why would i work more hours for halo 4 maps. i would have to take a good look at my life and sort out my priorities.

have you ever heard of steam? nuff said…

> > I already bought all the map packs. And LOL at the people that seem to think they don’t care and aren’t listening. I guess you people just expect them to jump at every complaint you have. They’ve already said they are working on major title updates. <mark>What more do you want?</mark>
>
> make it affordable and reasonable. $25 for the map pass/ $30 if you buy them seperately is not affordable nor reasonable.

How is $25 for 3 map packs not “reasonable” or “affordable”? They’re the same price that they have always been except you can now get a slight discount if you buy them all at once.

> I already bought all the map packs. And LOL at the people that seem to think they don’t care and aren’t listening. I guess you people just expect them to jump at every complaint you have. They’ve already said they are working on major title updates. What more do you want?

I’m not saying 343 doesn’t care about the Halo community, not saying that at all, but it certainly appears like the driving force behind most of the decisions 343 and MS have made with Halo under their complete direction, is money. That’s in stark contrast to Bungie.
Bungie made games that ‘they’ wanted to play.
343 seems to have made a game that they think other will want to play.
There’s a big difference there.

> > I already bought all the map packs. And LOL at the people that seem to think they don’t care and aren’t listening. I guess you people just expect them to jump at every complaint you have. They’ve already said they are working on major title updates. What more do you want?
>
> I’m not saying 343 doesn’t care about the Halo community, not saying that at all, but it certainly appears like the driving force behind most of the decisions 343 and MS have made with Halo under their complete direction, is money. That’s in stark contrast to Bungie.
> Bungie made games that ‘they’ wanted to play.
> 343 seems to have made a game that they think other will want to play.
> There’s a big difference there.

O RLY? I remember a lot of people complaining that Bungie and MS only cared about money ever since the launch of Halo 3. They’re a business so you better get use to the primary target being money. Welcome to the real world.

And to make the game for others would be a lot better than making the game for themselves. The goal is to make something that most people will like. Not a small select few. That’s not good business.

I’m not defending them by any means, simply pointing out the obvious. I have my own issues with the game like everyone else has. DLC isn’t one of them.

> > > I already bought all the map packs. And LOL at the people that seem to think they don’t care and aren’t listening. I guess you people just expect them to jump at every complaint you have. They’ve already said they are working on major title updates. <mark>What more do you want?</mark>
> >
> > make it affordable and reasonable. $25 for the map pass/ $30 if you buy them seperately is not affordable nor reasonable.
>
> How is $25 for 3 map packs not “reasonable” or “affordable”? They’re the same price that they have always been except you can now get a slight discount if you buy them all at once.

when you compare pricings to steam, you might understand why i stand where i stand. when you buy off of steam, you just know that you’re getting a great deal all the time. when i buy from microsoft, this is the feeling i get, “it’s not low enough that it’s a good deal, but it’s almost high enough that it’s absurd.”

seriously, take a good look at steam and how they treat their customers. they’re 10x better than greedy Microsoft