First Encounters with The Flood

Before I can tell you the first flood experience ever… I need to show you how timid i was when i first began playing halo as a small child.
So the very first playable part where you do your “orientation” and all, I was expecting firearms training when the AIs started talking about it and felt disappointed when i heard the mysterious captain say “no i think he is ready” so i felt realllly BA. Then… the guy up in the observation deck starts panicking then im confused… then next thing I see is the doors to the right exploding open and two inhuman horrific monsters shoot the innocent guy, then that disappointment turned into a panic and a NEED TO FIND A WEAPON, but my initial reaction wasn’t this… instead I turned off the console I got so scared and didn’t play it again for days (while I mildly enjoyed play Cel Damage).
Now for the meat of the story…
So by now I had gotten used to killing covenant baddies in various manners, be it smashing, shooting, exploding, or otherwise disemboweling. I was pretty psyched about this game and laughed at myself for ever being scared of such a awesome piece of awesome-ness. Then I hear Foehammer talking about contacting her as soon as I found the captain, so I thought another search and rescue op, I figured that the captain had gotten captured when I saw the crashed pelican, but i was listening to the radio transmissions and thats when things started getting freaky. I kept on playing, but things just kept getting weirder, already dead covie bodies, weird noises, this haunted feelings as i kept plunging deep into the innards of the forerunner structure.
As I approached the revealing cutscene, I was pretty freaked out by all the blood. Then the cutscene begins, and thats probably one of my favorite cutscenes ever…now… but then I was scared out of my mind when i first saw these little bubbles attacking people and crap, and all of the audio didn’t help I’m pretty sure if I knew curse words then I would of been something alone the lines of… HOLY F*** S****… but I paused it and sat there freaked out staring at the pause screen and made myself about 3 cups of hot chocolate and watched the pause screen for another 10 minutes then i finally picked up the controller again shaky and hit the pause button and then chief tosses the clip out of his helmet and grabs his gun then its my turn to fight them. first the infection forms came, they were like if Satan had genitellia(sp) those would be his -Yoink!-. Little furry… man eating… -Yoink!-. Then the combat forms. After that I pretty much said F*** this. And went completely Apes*** on them, i’m talking reckless abandon running through the rest of the level shooting whatever was infront of me frantically jumping from one ledge to another doing anything I could to escape them, and when I finally reached the elevator at the top where Johnson and the marines were, I still just kept running, but then I ran out of places to run and that little floating B****** took me to their hive or something. The rest of the game consisted of me having heart attacks (idk from the hot chocolate and andrenaline or maybe the stains from soiling myself so much in a hours time had something to do with it)
All and all, I think bungie has more credit to soiled pants than Pampers.
(sorry for all the spelling and grammar errors :s I was feeling rushed.)

What were all of your first encounters like?

I thought of them as “fleshy balls”, but I admit, when I started playing Halo on the PC in 2003, when I was still a wee lad, the cutscene and ensuing battle to escape scared the hell out of me, for they were totally disgusting in sense. It took me a while to figure out that the Shotgun worked wonders against them, but before that, I was charging in with the Assault Rifle, sweeping it this way and that.

Was also pretty shocked to discover that the Combat Forms could leap up extremely high heights, and that when i knocked one down, it could actually rise up again. This proved to be my undoing several times, so I made sure to put two in any fallen form’s chest before continuing.

When i finally completed 343 Guilty Spark, I thought it would be over. But the next level…you know what to expect!

> I thought of them as “fleshy balls”, but I admit, when I started playing Halo on the PC in 2003, when I was still a wee lad, the cutscene and ensuing battle to escape scared the hell out of me, for they were totally disgusting in sense. It took me a while to figure out that the Shotgun worked wonders against them, but before that, I was charging in with the Assault Rifle, sweeping it this way and that.
>
> Was also pretty shocked to discover that the Combat Forms could leap up extremely high heights, and that when i knocked one down, it could actually rise up again. This proved to be my undoing several times, so I made sure to put two in any fallen form’s chest before continuing.
>
> When i finally completed 343 Guilty Spark, I thought it would be over. But the next level…you know what to expect!

You basically summed up my entire rant -_- haha, but yeah… I think Halo inadvertantly gave zombies the “shotgun” and “double tap” strategies for any future flood/zombie fiction

The flood reveal is one of the parts I’m most excited for in Halo CEA. I can’t wait to see what they look like.

The Flood allows the Halo trilogy to be a survival-horror genre. :smiley: