Fireteams: Opening the "Player Experience"

I feel that the community has been focusing on the raw multiplayer and balance of Halo, and so I felt it would be appropriate to step back and suggest something for the overall “player experience”.

Clans (or as I coin it for the sake of Halo’s canon and because it just sounds better, “Fireteams”).

Of course I’m not the first person to have brought this up, but I feel that it is an element that should be added to Halo from my point of view. This really wouldn’t really affect gameplay or really anything other than to delve into more social and competitive Halo “feels”. What “Fireteam” would do is just unite players under a social team and hopefully build little bonds and enforce a sense of teamwork with players who want this option (keyword: option).

How it would work:
A player could go into his/her pop-up menu by clicking the “start” button on his/her controller and flip to the “Fireteam” section. There, they would have the option to either create a fireteam, join another fireteam by a search function (think of searching for maps, gametypes, etc. from other people’s file shares), or check on their own fireteam’s status if they are already part of a fireteam.

Creating a fireteam:
If a player is not part of a fireteam and would like to create their own, they would press the “create” option. Then they would be required to choose from a wide variety of approved names by 343i. Then they would create a team emblem from the normal emblem selection offered to players. The fireteam emblem would go on the opposite shoulder of the shoulder with the player’s personal emblem (the emblem players are able to customize by themselves, for themselves as according to tradition). Finally, players could recruit others into their fireteams. This would be done by a search function. Players would type in the gamertags of who they wanted to join their team and then would send an invite to said selected players to view from a notification (think of when you unlock a new weapon, skin, etc. in Halo 4; a little star with the number of invites) in the “Fireteam” section of the pop-up menu under “Invites”. Once a fireteam is made, the player who started it is promoted to team leader until the leave the team or promote another player. Also, a fireteam leader can choose his second in command (aka the person who the game will replace as team leader if the original team leader decides to leave the fireteam). If the team leader does not choose a second in command, the game will automatically delegate the position to the first member who joined the fireteam.

Joining a fireteam:
Players could either use a search function to join their friends’ or random players’ fireteams by entering the gamertag of a member of said fireteam and requesting an invite to that fireteam. This invite would be sent or redirected to the team leader and they are given the option to either accept or decline this request. It is important to note that if you try to join a fireteam that is filled, your request will be turned down by default.

Leaving a fireteam:
If for whatever reason a player decides to leave their fireteam, they can just select the “Resign” option under the “Fireteam” menu. A pop up asking the traditional “Are you sure?” will appear giving them the option to continue with their decision or change their mind. If the player is team leader and they resign, their second in command will take their place.

Your fireteam:
If a player is part of a fireteam, they will have an extra option under the “Fireteam” menu to check on the status of their team. This will list the members in numerical order (this will be explained later) as well as tell the player who of their team mates are online or offline and offer team stats such as a team K/D ratio, combined kills, etc. (of course, that information doesn’t really have much importance to overall gameplay, depends on the mentality of the team, casual or competitive). Team leaders will have additional options to change the team emblem and name. There can only be six members per fireteam, including team leader. It is also important to remember a fireteam does not have to have six members. Also, the game numbers players according to the chronological order that they joined the fireteam. This however does not affect the team leader and second in command as they will be automatically numbered one and two.

Booting:
The only way a member can be booted from their team is by “disapproval ratings”. This is an option that allows players to put their vote into removing a member from their fireteam. In order to have a member booted, that member must have half, at minimum, of the team’s disapproval ratings (votes) against them and then the team leader and second in command are given the option to boot that member. Disapproval ratings can also be made against team leaders and second in commands.

Social aspect:
Fireteams offer an extra additional social option and that is to align themselves with a sister fireteam. Think of it as creating a twelve-man (or less) team, but without the direct connection with members of the sister fireteam than with members of the player’s own fireteam. The only change this makes to your “Fireteam” menu is giving the online/offline status of members of your sister fireteam. Players can also compare competitive statuses of their fireteams with others through a search function on Waypoint similar to comparing personal Halo 4 stats with another player.

Gameplay:
The ONLY ways being part of a fireteam will affect your gameplay are by having your team emblem on your other shoulder in game and by having your fireteam name under your gamertag in small letters when allies place their reticle over you in gameplay.

Limitations:
-The reasoning behind optional names is to prevent naming abuse by irresponsible players. Players could, however, suggest names to 343i through (maybe) the Waypoint forums or some other source and get that/those name(s) approved.
-Fireteams can have the same name and emblem, but because of wide selection, it would be rare, if not improbable, for a fireteam to run into another fireteam coincidentally with the same name and emblem.
-One may argue after reading this that team leaders are given too much authority, but it is (at least I find it to be) impractical for every decision to be limited to voting in game, when those decisions can be made over verbal or electronic communication.

Key notes:
Being part of a fireteam is optional. Having members on your team is optional. Being team leader is optional. Who your members are is optional. Paying attention to your team stats is optional (duh). If you don’t have the interest of being on a fireteam, even if it’s just you, or have the interest to pay attention to certain features, by all means, don’t. This is just to open up to people who would enjoy this option whether it would be for social/competitive usage. :slight_smile:

I like the ideas. It sounds like a very natural and canonical evolution of Clans. I still don’t know why Bungie took clans out of Halo. There’s not much to add other than I think Fireteams should get to make their own name. When canon becomes too restricting it might as well not be there.

I like this idea a lot. However, I feel like the preset names aren’t the best way to go about this. It’d be better if the player could input a 10-12 character-long name for their team. Also, if the player types in an inappropriate word, the word filter could always reject it.

> I like this idea a lot. However, I feel like the preset names aren’t the best way to go about this. It’d be better if the player could input a 10-12 character-long name for their team. Also, if the player types in an inappropriate word, the word filter could always reject it.

I hadn’t actually thought of a word filter when I made this, that seems much more efficient.

This could work and work very well.

Battlefield has BattleLog, were you can get your team together and then a join a server.

I find the BattleLog hard to get a team connected, but it does work. If 343 could implement a much easier system for Halo. Then this would be great.

One thing I do love about Battlelog, I can search servers from my PC/Laptop. Pick a server and connect join, and my xbox joins that game. This is a very cool feature. But the interface is not the best.

343 need to look at this and improve this for Halo.

> This could work and work very well.
>
> Battlefield has BattleLog, were you can get your team together and then a join a server.
>
> I find the BattleLog hard to get a team connected, but it does work. If 343 could implement a much easier system for Halo. Then this would be great.
>
> One thing I do love about Battlelog, I can search servers from my PC/Laptop. Pick a server and connect join, and my xbox joins that game. This is a very cool feature. But the interface is not the best.
>
> 343 need to look at this and improve this for Halo.

On a side note, if Halo ever came to having custom servers for players to create/join, it would be cool to have servers dedicated to clan matches as an option. It could even inspire some sort of a tournament for players to hold.

> > This could work and work very well.
> >
> > Battlefield has BattleLog, were you can get your team together and then a join a server.
> >
> > I find the BattleLog hard to get a team connected, but it does work. If 343 could implement a much easier system for Halo. Then this would be great.
> >
> > One thing I do love about Battlelog, I can search servers from my PC/Laptop. Pick a server and connect join, and my xbox joins that game. This is a very cool feature. But the interface is not the best.
> >
> > 343 need to look at this and improve this for Halo.
>
> On a side note, if Halo ever came to having custom servers for players to create/join, it would be cool to have servers dedicated to clan matches as an option. It could even inspire some sort of a tournament for players to hold.

I think Halo 2 had a Clan-battle playlist.

I really love this idea! I mean great execution of writing it out too! Most of the time I come on here I see ideas like this but poorly executed and not well wrote.

I also believe this should be integrated into the next halo, but will it? Time will only tell.

• 1 Thank from me.

> I think Halo 2 had a Clan-battle playlist.

It did.

The Halo 2 Clan System was another xbox live friends list, that worked differently to the standard xbox live friends list. So you could only have up to 100 players in your clan.

The only problem, you could only be in one clan. It would had been great, if you could had been in multiple clans.

I like this. Just make sure you can only be with one clan at a time. As a leader of one myself I can’t stand members participating in multiple clans.

> > I think Halo 2 had a Clan-battle playlist.
>
> It did.
>
> The Halo 2 Clan System was another xbox live friends list, that worked differently to the standard xbox live friends list. So you could only have up to 100 players in your clan.
>
> The only problem, you could only be in one clan. It would had been great, if you could had been in multiple clans.

I’m pretty sure most clans don’t allow their members to be in multiple clans, anyway.

> > > I think Halo 2 had a Clan-battle playlist.
> >
> > It did.
> >
> > The Halo 2 Clan System was another xbox live friends list, that worked differently to the standard xbox live friends list. So you could only have up to 100 players in your clan.
> >
> > The only problem, you could only be in one clan. It would had been great, if you could had been in multiple clans.
>
> I’m pretty sure most clans don’t allow their members to be in multiple clans, anyway.

I kick members I catch in another clan on the spot. I’m a good example I guess.

> I like this. Just make sure you can only be with one clan at a time. As a leader of one myself I can’t stand members participating in multiple clans.

I don’t see a reason why someone shouldn’t join multiple clans. It’s like a musician being banned from being in different bands. Maybe one clan provides something for that player that the other clan doesn’t and vice versa? To get the best of both worlds, they’d have to join two, and I don’t see a problem with that personally.

> > I like this. Just make sure you can only be with one clan at a time. As a leader of one myself I can’t stand members participating in multiple clans.
>
> I don’t see a reason why someone shouldn’t join multiple clans. It’s like a musician being banned from being in different bands. Maybe one clan provides something for that player that the other clan doesn’t and vice versa? To get the best of both worlds, they’d have to join two, and I don’t see a problem with that personally.

Well I kinda have to disagree. If clans are executed the way I proposed in the OP, that’s a lot more work on 343i to develop a system that can record all that information. Also how would you get multiple clan emblems on one shoulder pad and keep them visible?

Now from a general perspective, I still think it would be better for players only being allowed to be in one clan because the point of a clan is to create a team. Now the thing about clans is that at the end of the day, they aren’t supposed to affect gameplay for the most part, so if you want to just play with a regular group of friends who aren’t in your clan, that’s fine. Being part of a clan doesn’t mean you can’t play with others.

EDIT: I see what you mean with the “best of both worlds” thing. But I don’t see what you mean by “clans providing” anything, at least from a gameplay perspective other than skill or talent. But even then, there’s nothing stopping you from playing with people who aren’t in your clan.

> > > I like this. Just make sure you can only be with one clan at a time. As a leader of one myself I can’t stand members participating in multiple clans.
> >
> > I don’t see a reason why someone shouldn’t join multiple clans. It’s like a musician being banned from being in different bands. Maybe one clan provides something for that player that the other clan doesn’t and vice versa? To get the best of both worlds, they’d have to join two, and I don’t see a problem with that personally.
>
> Also how would you get multiple clan emblems on one shoulder pad and keep them visible?
[/quote]
You’ve got 2 shoulders, don’t ya?

> > > I like this. Just make sure you can only be with one clan at a time. As a leader of one myself I can’t stand members participating in multiple clans.
> >
> > I don’t see a reason why someone shouldn’t join multiple clans. It’s like a musician being banned from being in different bands. Maybe one clan provides something for that player that the other clan doesn’t and vice versa? To get the best of both worlds, they’d have to join two, and I don’t see a problem with that personally.
>
> Well I kinda have to disagree. If clans are executed the way I proposed in the OP, that’s a lot more work on 343i to develop a system that can record all that information. Also how would you get multiple clan emblems on one shoulder pad and keep them visible?
>
> Now from a general perspective, I still think it would be better for players only being allowed to be in one clan because the point of a clan is to create a team. Now the thing about clans is that at the end of the day, they aren’t supposed to affect gameplay for the most part, so if you want to just play with a regular group of friends who aren’t in your clan, that’s fine. Being part of a clan doesn’t mean you can’t play with others.

I see why it would be difficult for people to join multiple clans on a technical level, however for Forthencho it seemed to be a matter of emotion or loyalty to a clan. From any other standpoint, I can’t see why someone shouldn’t be able to join multiple clans.

Who’s to say that people shouldn’t be in multiple teams though? Maybe they could even bring the clans together for friendly matches etc. Being part of one clan and not being allowed to play as part of another clan does prevent you from playing with others however.

Maybe I just don’t understand the clan dynamic, having never been a part of one nor been interested in joining one myself.

Your OP is a good idea though Abel, could really bring people together.

> > > > I like this. Just make sure you can only be with one clan at a time. As a leader of one myself I can’t stand members participating in multiple clans.
> > >
> > > I don’t see a reason why someone shouldn’t join multiple clans. It’s like a musician being banned from being in different bands. Maybe one clan provides something for that player that the other clan doesn’t and vice versa? To get the best of both worlds, they’d have to join two, and I don’t see a problem with that personally.
> >
> > Also how would you get multiple clan emblems on one shoulder pad and keep them visible?
>
> You’ve got 2 shoulders, don’t ya?

Sorry for not being clear, but in the OP, my idea was to have your personal emblem on one shoulder and your fireteam one on the other. :stuck_out_tongue:

> > > > I like this. Just make sure you can only be with one clan at a time. As a leader of one myself I can’t stand members participating in multiple clans.
> > >
> > > I don’t see a reason why someone shouldn’t join multiple clans. It’s like a musician being banned from being in different bands. Maybe one clan provides something for that player that the other clan doesn’t and vice versa? To get the best of both worlds, they’d have to join two, and I don’t see a problem with that personally.
> >
> > Well I kinda have to disagree. If clans are executed the way I proposed in the OP, that’s a lot more work on 343i to develop a system that can record all that information. Also how would you get multiple clan emblems on one shoulder pad and keep them visible?
> >
> > Now from a general perspective, I still think it would be better for players only being allowed to be in one clan because the point of a clan is to create a team. Now the thing about clans is that at the end of the day, they aren’t supposed to affect gameplay for the most part, so if you want to just play with a regular group of friends who aren’t in your clan, that’s fine. Being part of a clan doesn’t mean you can’t play with others.
>
> I see why it would be difficult for people to join multiple clans on a technical level, however for Forthencho it seemed to be a matter of emotion or loyalty to a clan. From any other standpoint, I can’t see why someone shouldn’t be able to join multiple clans.
>
> Who’s to say that people shouldn’t be in multiple teams though? Maybe they could even bring the clans together for friendly matches etc. Being part of one clan and not being allowed to play as part of another clan does prevent you from playing with others however.
>
> Maybe I just don’t understand the clan dynamic, having never been a part of one nor been interested in joining one myself.
>
> Your OP is a good idea though Abel, could really bring people together.

Ah, I see what you mean now. You raise a good point, now I honestly don’t know how to answer that question other than choosing one way or the other. Though you could remain loyal to one clan do to personal preference, I guess.