Firefight

So I’ve been thinking, if Firefight makes a return I think we really need to see it become a more rewarding gamemode to play. In Halo 5 it was actually very rewarding but obviously it was bogged down by the REQ system and all that crap we already know about because its been discussed until the heat death of the universe.

XP gain should be on some sort of equivalent compared to the average multiplayer match. I think match length should be the main contributor to XP and things like kills, assists and objective scoring should also factor in.

And then translating that into Firefight so that playing it isnt a monotonous grind. I really liked Warzone Firefight and tbh I dont want to go back to 4 player firefight on maps with zero breathing room with limited weapon options and monotonous enemy waves.

But this is kind of all a “what if” idealisation of what I think Firefight ought to be more like. Halo 5 was onto something with Warzone Firefight I just hope we realised that.

We can’t get another Halo 5 style FF that comes in at the end of the game’s life.

Ideally, the game will launch with FF, and they can continue to update and tweak it. My main problem with the current H5 setup is that it never got a lot of updates, and there are plenty of glitches and issues with it that will never be fixed. Since Infinite is a live service, having FF getting even small updates would be nice (and the fact that we won’t have to deal with Reqs).

> 2806037446402987;2:
> We can’t get another Halo 5 style FF that comes in at the end of the game’s life.
>
> Ideally, the game will launch with FF, and they can continue to update and tweak it. My main problem with the current H5 setup is that it never got a lot of updates, and there are plenty of glitches and issues with it that will never be fixed. Since Infinite is a live service, having FF getting even small updates would be nice (and the fact that we won’t have to deal with Reqs).

Oh absolutely. Warzone FF is fantastic but nobody plays it except people grinding to 152. And people that are super into the achillies grind BS cant get much out of it either compared to regular Warzone.

I’m hoping that the inclusion of the bot system is a good indicator for more PvE content.

I absolutely agree that whatever PvE offering Infinite gives as part of its non-campaign experience (and I desperately hope there is at least one type of non-campaign PvE offering in Infinite at launch, although I’m hesitant to believe there will be given 343’s track record) should, absolutely, be an enticing and rewarding experience for players. I’m not saying you should necessarily be able to make precisely the same gains at the same speed as in PvP, as PvP will always be a more challenging experience than PvE even on high difficulties (LASO possibly excepted). But, for sure, players who prefer PvE modes shouldn’t receive a tiny fraction of the XP/Season Points/whatever that PvP players get for roughly the same amount of time playing the game.

My bigger fear is that 343i has once again relegated the non-campaign PvE experience as an afterthought. Halo 4 “replaced” the original Firefight modes with Spartan Ops, which provided a very different experience to what many fans were expecting from after Reach’s excellent, customizable Firefight mode, which really allowed that game’s weapons sandbox and enemy AI to shine. Warzone Firefight in Halo 5 also failed to deliver anything resembling Reach and ODST’s Firefight modes, instead opting for a large, chaotic spectacle of an experience. Don’t get me wrong, I think SpOps and WZ Firefight both have some unique strengths that recommend them- I personally just don’t believe either of them is a suitable replacement for the substantive niche that Firefight filled in the last Bungie games, and I’ve missed that niche since 2012 at this point.

I hope Firefight engagement in MCC is up and is demonstrating to 343i that there’s demand for a return of a "classic’ Firefight experience. I don’t care if 343i tries to build on the sensibilities and strengths of Spartan Ops and Warzone FF on one hand, but I really wish they’d bring back a more traditional Firefight mode on the other. Again, though, I feel like PvE-first players are probably going to be told to sit tight and replay the campaign for their fix for the first year or two after launch. Eventually, I believe we’ll get some kind of PvE mode outside of the campaign, but I just can’t make myself believe it will be baked into the launch game. Hopefully they’ll at least provide some decent progression incentives to playing the campaign in the meantime.

Apologies for the long-winded ramble, OP- I’ve been frustrated over 343i’s handling of Firefight for almost literally a whole decade now and tend to rant on it when given the oportunity. To get back to your main point, though, I do think it’s a good callout that whenever we do get a non-campaign PvE mode, it should provide progression at a rate that isn’t insulting compared to PvP modes.