FIREFIGHT: Please bring this mode back!!!

I had way too much fun with this mode just doing co-op with my roommate on Halo ODST and Reach. I was very disappointed when Halo 4 came out and there was no firefight. I had almost just assumed it was going to be in the game, or at least that Spartan Ops would make up for it not being in the game, but I was sadly disappointed. Spartan Ops just never really did it for me. I’m not saying take Spartan Ops out of the game entirely, but having more modes and even the option to firefight would add more replay-ability to the game overall since there is more to do. It seems like games in general are also shying away from couch co-op and just moving towards online co-op, and Halo is a one of the last games out there still trying to keep the couch co-op in for up to 4 friends. I’m rambling now, but PLEASE BRING BACK FIREFIGHT!!! Does anyone else agree?

Firefight had a lot going for it…

Arcade fight.

Firefight-specific commendations. (The good Reach kind, not the Halo 4 flimsy kind).

New enemy progressions.

Less lag when playing multiplayer.

Firefight voices. Bring back Nathan Fillion!

Please don’t bring this mode back. It’s boring and repetitive, and doesn’t have any replay value. When Reach came out we got 10 firefight maps and not enough multiplayer maps due to them wasting time on the stupid firefight mode. Time needs to go into matchmaking more than anything, because that’s what the majority of players buy halo for and play over and over.

> Please don’t bring this mode back. It’s boring and repetitive, and doesn’t have any replay value. When Reach came out we got 10 firefight maps and not enough multiplayer maps due to them wasting time on the stupid firefight mode. Time needs to go into matchmaking more than anything, because that’s what the majority of players buy halo for and play over and over.

By that logic we should scrap theatre and any other non-essentials so that 343 can focus more on matchmaking.

I would like a return of Halo 3: ODST’s firefight. Reach’s however, wasn’t too great.

> Please don’t bring this mode back. It’s boring and repetitive, and doesn’t have any replay value. When Reach came out we got 10 firefight maps and not enough multiplayer maps due to them wasting time on the stupid firefight mode. Time needs to go into matchmaking more than anything, because that’s what the majority of players buy halo for and play over and over.

That’s funny because firefight was made after multiplayer and were recycled campaign maps so they didnt take anything from multiplayer. Its repetitive to you but not to many, if anything isnt the entire game repetitive by your logic?

I would absolutely love to see Firefight return. It was my favorite addition to Halo, and I sorely miss it. Initially, I thought Spartan Ops would sate my desire for it’s return due to the additional narrative focus. However, time has proven that it has not.

While fun in it’s own right, Spartan Ops does not serve to fully replace Firefight. In my opinion, this is namely because Spartan Ops has no punishment for dying (even on Legendary) and because it doesn’t offer the variety that was present in Firefight.

As you know, when you die in Spartan Ops you simply respawn. Yes, you may lose weapons, but that leaves me with little sense of failure, and conversely, no sense of accomplishment either. SPOPS is supposed to act like a second campaign, yet it adopts this system which allows you to recklessly throw yourself at the enemy until you have killed them all. There is no reward for playing smart when you can simply respawn an infinite number of times for being reckless. That alone kills the replay value of SPOPS for me, as you have infinite lives, but you don’t even reset to a previous point like campaign. The sense of accomplishment you get from deftly controlling the battlefield is gone. If Spartan Ops adopted this system alone it would go a long way to increasing replayability.

In firefight, the set number of lives you have discourages repeated suicidal runs on the enemy. Keep it up for too long, and you lose. But play smart and you’ll survive to reach higher and harder levels of enemies. It’s a pretty basic concept, but it’s very rewarding. There is always a higher level and a higher score to achieve after all.

Further adding to my craving for Firefight’s return is the aforementioned lack of variety in SPOPS. Yes, I am aware that only a certain number of maps are present in both Spartan Ops and Firefight, but that is not what I’m referring to. Namely, I refer to the flow of each mission.

In Firefight, it was all about attrition. I would plan my initial placement on the map, pick fall back areas and keep whatever weapon drops on map available for when I would absolutely need them. And despite my planning, there would be things that would throw those plans out the window. Buffed enemies spawning in different rounds, the early appearance of a Hunter, Chieftain or General before the final round. Further adding to the variety of Firefight were skull rounds, which could totally change the flow of the match. Each firefight would turn out a different way, no matter how much you played it or for how long. In short, each Firefight played differently than the one before it.

In comparison, Spartan Ops presents us with many missions with different goals. Activate this, hold off these enemies, etc. Many times throughout Spartan Ops, the goal would come close to replicating Firefight, though it never quite got there. The main reason for this, I feel, was the episodic nature of SPOPS. None of the objectives lasted long enough to really feel like firefight due to the quick nature of each mission and the more Firefight-esque segments taking place as a final objective (I don’t want to play through a whole mission just for 5 minutes of almost firefight style action). This is especially true when playing with a full team in Spartan Ops, as mission that could last 20 to 30 minutes alone on Legendary now only take 15 tops. Despite alleged scaling difficulty, I never felt any sense of increased danger or noticed any escalation of the enemy, both of which are very noticeable in Firefight.

In the end, I know that I could simply throw in Reach or ODST if I wanted more Firefight. But with the power of the Xbox One, there is so much more that could be done with it. Increased enemy and player count,better enemy AI, better custom games options, etc. I still yearn for this to come true. And in my case, I know a Firefight mode in Halo Xbox One would certainly increase the longevity of the game for me.

> > Please don’t bring this mode back. It’s boring and repetitive, and doesn’t have any replay value. When Reach came out we got 10 firefight maps and not enough multiplayer maps due to them wasting time on the stupid firefight mode. Time needs to go into matchmaking more than anything, because that’s what the majority of players buy halo for and play over and over.
>
> By that logic we should scrap theatre and any other non-essentials so that 343 can focus more on matchmaking.
>
> I would like a return of Halo 3: ODST’s firefight. Reach’s however, wasn’t too great.

I’m tempted to agree, but I like Reach’s degree of customization for the experience, and I think Reach’s overall failure to replicate the quality of ODST’s FF stems from the enemies themselves, rather than the mode.

If they come back with Firefight, I only want 2 things:

• AI allies that you can summon with some sort of ordnance that are not only competent but follow you around

• Actual competitive firefight like in ODST. No ridiculous craziness and tons of explosions. I want limited lives, 5 or 6 people, unlimited waves. Or at least 50.

The original Firefight mode introduced in Halo: ODST provided me with some of the best co-op experiences in gaming. I believe the reason it worked so great was because players were not limited to 10-20 minute battles like in Halo: REACH. Instead, all players had to work together in order to complete one objective which was to SURVIVE. The inclusion of a time-limit and IMO stupid specialized jet-pack and all rocket load outs destroyed the fire-fight experience for me. Fire-fight should only be re-introduced if 343i can make it as pure as it was in Halo: ODST.

> The original Firefight mode introduced in Halo: ODST provided me with some of the best co-op experiences in gaming. I believe the reason it worked so great was because players were not limited to 10-20 minute battles like in Halo: REACH. Instead, all players had to work together in order to complete one objective which was to SURVIVE. The inclusion of a time-limit and IMO stupid specialized jet-pack and all rocket load outs destroyed the fire-fight experience for me. Fire-fight should only be re-introduced if 343i can make it as pure as it was in Halo: ODST.

You can still do this, ya know? The reason for a time limit was because everyone would eventually quit out in matchmaking(remember, ODST was limited to invite only). Throw on some FF classic on Reach with a few buds and you got yourself something similar to ODST. You can even take out the unlimited ammo boxes if they are not your fancy.

> > The original Firefight mode introduced in Halo: ODST provided me with some of the best co-op experiences in gaming. I believe the reason it worked so great was because players were not limited to 10-20 minute battles like in Halo: REACH. Instead, all players had to work together in order to complete one objective which was to SURVIVE. The inclusion of a time-limit and IMO stupid specialized jet-pack and all rocket load outs destroyed the fire-fight experience for me. Fire-fight should only be re-introduced if 343i can make it as pure as it was in Halo: ODST.
>
> You can still do this, ya know? The reason for a time limit was because everyone would eventually quit out in matchmaking(remember, ODST was limited to invite only). Throw on some FF classic on Reach with a few buds and you got yourself something similar to ODST. You can even take out the unlimited ammo boxes if they are not your fancy.

Options are good.

I thoroughly enjoyed ODST’s firefight, it fitted the scenario of being a single soldier facing insurmountable odds perfectly, it was a real struggle! Reach’s firefight didn’t really do anything for me, it seemed a bit too easy with having practically unlimited ammo and there were too many customization options making it easy to kill hordes of hunters, however I’m not going to pretend like I didn’t indulge in massacring hunters with my fuel rod with a bottomless clip :stuck_out_tongue:
I feel as though Spartan Ops was good in theory, but 343 didn’t quite pull it off, it was still enjoyable but it became tedious and repetitive towards the end. I liked how it had objectives and a story line mixed with hordes of enemies but there seemed to be a bit of an imbalance. Also having unlimited re-spawns made it so that there was no real penalty for dying, in fact you probably benefited from it because your ammo was refilled.
Overall, I think that firefight should come back in halo Xbox one and I hope 343 make it like ODST’s.

I would say improve the quality of SO. The second half of SO was good just needs some improvements Ex: its own soundtrack and punishment for death.

Yes firefight was great for ODST but that was because of the health pack system unlike reach which you had regenerative shields.

Maybe every few episodes of SO they can throw in a FF mission.

Honestly, I’d rather not see it return really. The whole wave based co-op survival mode has been done to death.

If they are to bring it back I’d prefer they make it a more intense and difficult experience more aken to what was in ODST

Firefight better come back and I would want to see all the old ODST and Reach maps back as well. Then there should be options to play it to different degrees of ODST or Reach firefight styles. Also a little bit of Spartan Ops on the side to expand the universe’s story.

> I would say improve the quality of SO. The second half of SO was good just needs some improvements Ex: its own soundtrack and punishment for death.
>
> Yes firefight was great for ODST but that was because of the health pack system unlike reach which you had regenerative shields.
>
> Maybe every few episodes of SO they can throw in a FF mission.

ODST pretty much had the same health system as Reach. The “shield” in reach isn’t illustrated in the hud, but is reffered to as “stamina”. One the screen is a dark red it’s gone and damage taken reduces the player’s base health.

The reason firefight was superior to many player in ODST is really down to a few reason. Reach was more empowering, the player can take more punishement, deal more damage and move faster on the default setting.

Also, because of the lack of matchmaking settings players could really only play with their friends in ODST which ensured a more pleasant and cooperative experience than the Reach matchimaking.

The achievements in ODST also encouraged players to play longer and more difficult sessions, whie the Reach matchmaking experience tended to be on the much easier side and was much shorter.

Theoretically you could adjust Reach firefight to have a similar experience, but most people wanted to play the regular matchmaking. The achievements were pretty easy to get so there was a lot less motivation too

Firefight needs the Flood and the Prometheans in the mix as well

I would love to see firefight return.

I liked ODST firefight, that was so much fun.

I would really like to see a co-op game mode like Firefight to return.
But I would not like to see any replicas of ODST’s or Reach’s.

I would like to see a truely advanced Firefight experience. A proper “survival/Spartan Fire Team experience” with (optional) additional main and side objectives on large, interactive open sandbox maps, to sum it up quite shortly.