Firefight Netcode

The Firefight netcode makes me want to take a power-drill to my skull.

To the 343 representatives: is there any chance of 343 changing Firefight’s netcode?

It seems 343i didn’t see my post; or, they just don’t care. What’s the community’s take on Firefight netcode?

Currently, it sucks.

I don’t mind wasting ammo on an enemy that has just been killed if it means I can play with friends across the country without waiting a full second between the time I press RT and my gun firing.

The Firefight netcode is the way it is because AI in Halo require perfect synchronization. They react to everything, so everything has to sync.

One certainly could put Halo AI in the standard Multiplayer netcode. It just wouldn’t work. In fact, it’d break completely. Friendlies would be dropping dead randomly because the host box had an Elite roundhouse them in the face, but on your box that Elite was on the other side of the map.

> One certainly could put Halo AI in the standard Multiplayer netcode. It just wouldn’t work. In fact, it’d break completely. Friendlies would be dropping dead randomly because the host box had an Elite roundhouse them in the face, but on your box that Elite was on the other side of the map.

This reminds me of all those Halo Custom Edition maps with AI in it.

The horror…

yes - currently (and put simply), everyone experiences ‘lag’ in FF MM as the total sum of everybodies latency to the host, because as already mentioned, it’s synchronous - i.e the code has to run in lockstep in order for the gametype AI to ‘work’.

Bungie tried putting FF online, and it hasn’t really worked out well - the matchmaking algorithm needs to match up players far more strictkly based on location/latency - it’s rare to get a game that is anywhere near as playable as single player.

ODST FF online coop ‘appeared’ to work better as more often than not, you’d be playing with friends who were more likely to be geographically local.

This is a make-or-break issue for me concerning Halo CEA; both Reach’s campaign and Firefight modes are unplayable with my friends across the Atlantic, even though we play multiplayer just fine - and perhaps a better comparison, the Halo 3 campaign without any problems.

If CEA uses the same netcode and I’m not able to cleanly play the campaign with my pal who I’ve been playing Halo with since the original CE, it holds zero value to me.

That said, I don’t think there’s any hope for change in Reach. I suspect it’s tied to the altered game engine they used for Reach to purportedly have more AI on-screen than any previous Halo titles. Something I’d give up in a heartbeat for plain functionality.

> The Firefight netcode is the way it is because AI in Halo require perfect synchronization. They react to everything, so everything has to sync.
>
> One certainly could put Halo AI in the standard Multiplayer netcode. It just wouldn’t work. In fact, it’d break completely. Friendlies would be dropping dead randomly because the host box had an Elite roundhouse them in the face, but on your box that Elite was on the other side of the map.

-Your excuse is invalid. Your only example was melee. I’ve seen melee executed acceptably in countless online modes/titles, including Halo’s PvP. Did you notice how no matter what, halo melees always connect?

-Halo does NOT feature synchronous combat: You can shoot while the enemy shoots you, and vice versa. Even the melee system allows you to punch each other at the same time without taking turns or getting incapacitated.

-Reach uses some of the lockstep protocol. lockstep (whether pure or modified) is, literally, the worst netcode and it can only be truly tolerated on the best of networks: the LAN.

-Halo 1’s PvP utilized lockstep
-Thankfully, it stuck to LAN play.

doubt it …