Firefight didn't work, neither will SO.

Sure firefight was kinda cool in ODST, and it could have been a little better if it wasn’t for the lag. There’s also a small handful of hardcore Firefight fans that managed to get it into Reach. But it was just never really that fun, and it could never be the new game mode Halo has needed for so long.

Spartan ops is a similar story. A sad attempt at bringing the fans of campaign and multiplayer together. The people that buy Halo just for campaign usually dont have Gold so they cant play SO anyways, and i see nothing in SO that would appeal to a hardcore MP fan. The funnest part about it is watching the awesome CGI scenes each week, but even those feel stale when I think about how more of this time could’ve been put into the campaign. Why didn’t the campaign cutscenes receive the amount love that the Spartan ops CGI videos did? They were headed in the right direction with Spartan Ops, but too much work had gone into the story and not enough into the map structure/gameplay.

Since neither of these gametypes have worked, i have decided to reincarnate an old idea that I had formulated back in the Halo 3 days which could be in Halo 5. I call it: Battlegrounds

In a way Battlegrounds is a mix of the two. It involves the large scale conflicts of firefight, and the progressive story elements of Spartan Ops.

Here’s how it works:

1. Much like firefight, you start out with a large opposing army at your doorstep, except this time you have an equally large army of your own. 40-44 AIs and 1-4 players, with each team 22 strong.

2a. Each team has Two leaders, each leader commands a 10 man squadron(not including leader).

2b. YOU and your friends will play as the leaders. Leaders, along with their units, are customizable, and you can choose which leader you play as in-game(but only within your team).

1. Each side of the maps have the team’s fortresses. Each fortress has a supply depot. These depots provide ammo and re-spawn any deceased units(note: units take 10 seconds to spawn each, and leaders take 5, so strategy is key).

2. The objective of the game is to push the enemy back to their fortress, and destroy their supply depots.

3. Commanding your units is very simple. Up on the D-Pad moves your unit to where you are aiming, and on arrival thay use any cover within a 20meter radius. Down on the D-Pad orders them to converge on your point and protect you, and they also prioritize your targets.

That’s all I got for now. I hope This doesn’t get buried under all the pointless “I hate this game I’m leaving” threads.

Sounds like halo wars

> Sounds like halo wars

It’s more like galactic conquest from Battlefront 2.

that’s a really unique idea for halo. firefight and spartan ops bore me to tears so as far as i’m concerned, the devs need help.

SO is WAY better than Firefight…

I hated firefight but I enjoy SO with its story and gameplay.

Firefight worked in ODST since you could exit the map, do tricking, battles got tougher over time (there’s a guy who got a really high score and had a pretty impressive Chopper vehicle collection).

But Spartan Ops is just terrible. The low invisible ceiling, the geometry changes that prevent you from accessing areas that you could have easily accessed in campaign, the damn shield doors, the respawning is weird (you respawn in undesirable places most of the time), the enemies spawn right at the objective so you have to sprint out of there or you’ll going to get maimed. I’m not sure how people even managed to find ways to exit the maps. They’re far worse than campaign.

> Since neither of these gametypes have worked, i have decided to reincarnate an old idea that I had formulated back in the Halo 3 days for Halo 5. I call it: Battlegrounds
>
> In a way Battlegrounds is a mix of the two. It involves the large scale conflicts of firefight, and the progressive story elements of Spartan Ops.
>
> Here’s how it works:
> 1. Much like firefight, you start out with a large opposing army at your doorstep, except this time you have an equally large army of your own. 40-44 AIs and 1-4 players.
>
> 2a. Each team has Two leaders, each leader commands a 10 man squadron(not including leader).
>
> 2b. YOU and your friends will play as the leaders. Leaders, along with their units, are customizable, and you can choose which leader you play as in-game(but only within your team).
>
> 3. Each side of the maps have the team’s fortresses. Each fortress has a supply depot. These depots provide ammo and re-spawn any deceased units(note: units take 15 seconds to spawn each, and leaders take 5, so strategy is key).
>
> 4. The objective of the game is to push the enemy back to their fortress, and destroy their supply depots.
>
> 5. Commanding your units is very simple. Up on the D-Pad moves your unit to where you are aiming, and on arrival thay use any cover within a 20meter radius. Down on the D-Pad orders them to converge on your point and protect you, and they also prioritize your targets.
>
> That’s all I got for now. I hope This doesn’t get buried under all the pointless “I hate this game I’m leaving” threads.

While I agree that this is different… I feel that it is different in the way that the tower defense in AC:Revelations was different…

> SO is WAY better than Firefight…

I disagree.

In ODST, people played Fire Fight because it required a decent amount of team work and was a challenge, making it really fun when you played with people who had mics

In Reach, people played fire fight to farm XP

In halo 4, people play S-Ops to farm XP

ODST had the best IMO simply because it took a lot of team work and was a challenge. Spartan Ops should have been more team work based instead. I mean the only team work you see is the Spawning on each other.

TL:DR

Fire Fight worked great, was fun, awesome, and was a great way to play Halo when you didnt wanna be competitive.

GET OUT

> Firefight worked in ODST since you could exit the map, do tricking, battles got tougher over time (there’s a guy who got a really high score and had a pretty impressive Chopper vehicle collection).
>
> But Spartan Ops is just terrible. The low invisible ceiling, the geometry changes that prevent you from accessing areas that you could have easily accessed in campaign, the damn shield doors, the respawning is weird (you respawn in undesirable places most of the time), the enemies spawn right at the objective so you have to sprint out of there or you’ll going to get maimed. I’m not sure how people even managed to find ways to exit the maps. They’re far worse than campaign.

I’m glad you were able to enjoy it, but most people do not see firefight as a long term addition to the series.

I believe that Battlegrounds offers something for all players. It would have the intense Tactical battles that MP people crave, and the progressive(possibly story based) combat that campaign people love.

> TL:DR
>
> Fire Fight worked great, was fun, awesome, and was a great way to play Halo when you didnt wanna be competitive.
>
> GET OUT

Constructive criticism only please.

I dig SO due to its ongoing SL, BUT the freakin lag is killing me! It always happens when it’s a 4 man team as well (To me atleast). When I run with two others it’s fine, but myself and 3 others? Forget it… That’s just asking for rubberbandin.

> In ODST, people played Fire Fight because it required a decent amount of team work and was a challenge, making it really fun when you played with people who had mics
>
> In Reach, people played fire fight to farm XP
>
> In halo 4, people play S-Ops to farm XP
>
> ODST had the best IMO simply because it took a lot of team work and was a challenge. Spartan Ops should have been more team work based instead. I mean the only team work you see is the Spawning on each other.

I played Odst FF and hated it, so hard, i hated it, in fact there was nothing good about that expansion pack they sold us as a standalone game i no longer have the words.

Reach FF was awesome, atleast there you could have fun, 350 enemies on the map, killionaires, you aint getting none in spops, i played something like 40 days and had fun in every match i played.

The rocket launcher has been made into a sissified version of its former self, the splash is so local it doesnt take out more than two at a time. ITS A ROCKET LAUNCHER, not a t-shirt cannon.

Asking for Spops to be more like odst is not what the community wants, infact its already a moving version of it.

So what you’re saying OP, is that a 50 mission long 100% FREE second campaign that is known as Spartan OPs, will end up like Fire Fight!?

Fire Fight was fun, but Spartan Ops is a second campaign, much better.

> So what you’re saying OP, is that a 50 mission long 100% FREE second campaign that is known as Spartan OPs, will end up like Fire Fight!?
>
> Fire Fight was fun, but Spartan Ops is a second campaign, much better.

No, I’m saying that its a big-budget CGI failure of a gamemode. It has no replayablility, a crap ton Of money is dumped into the CGI, and the missions are short and repetitive.

It’s a terrible replacement for firefight, and will end up in the garbage can just like firefight did.

Ok Firefight Arcade was pure crap filled will with mindless repetitive rocket launcher spam and credit boosters galore.

Firefight in ODST and Firefight Limited in Reach were actually fun, when you had a semi good connection of course. They were challenging and encouraged teamwork. Spartan Ops, in my opinion, is not as fun as firefight. Personally, I think the story is ridiculously cheesy and filled with so many cliches its unbearable. The campaign is much better in this regard. Not to mention EVERY mission is no more than “Crimson, go to this place here. Deactivate/Activate this device over there. Rinse. Repeat. Mission Accomplished”. Though, I will admit the cutscenes are impressive.

In addition to that, they are so incredibly easy. Lately I have been having some fun playing SO, but it has nothing to do with the story or gameplay, but because me and my one other friend have been going through and beating every mission on Legendary without either one of us dying. That’s the only way we can get a challenge out of it. And neither of us are by any means top tier Halo players. Such a feat would have been near impossible on Firefight Limited on Legendary. I don’t know, maybe I’m just different in that I like a very tough challenge. Maybe if they added skulls it would make things better.

I will say though, something like the “battleground” game mode would probably be pretty fun. It sounds like it would be packed with strategy which is always a good thing imo. Sadly, though, any big co-op game in Halo with a bunch of AI will probably experience lag regardless of what it is since they all run that lockstep synchronization model or whatever. So yeah if lag has been a deal breaker with you when it comes to FF or SO then I wouldn’t get your hopes up.

> > So what you’re saying OP, is that a 50 mission long 100% FREE second campaign that is known as Spartan OPs, will end up like Fire Fight!?
> >
> > Fire Fight was fun, but Spartan Ops is a second campaign, much better.
>
> No, I’m saying that its a big-budget CGI failure of a gamemode. It has no replayablility, a crap ton Of money is dumped into the CGI, and the missions are short and repetitive.
>
> It’s a terrible replacement for firefight, and will end up in the garbage can just like firefight did.

OH!
So you have a time machine…

Dude, the first 2 episodes made sense to be a tiny bit repetitive.
It’s not a failure of a gamemode, it has replayability. Missions are short to make the download smaller and shorter, you make them any longer, and you start packing on some memory, and the more memory space it needs, the longer the download.

But hey, I guess you find any game mode out side of standard MP a failure.

I will agree that some of the areas do get repetitive.

Someone elsewhere said that they would like to see some objectivity in SO aside from button pushing, and I for one would like to second that motion. It would be nice to mix it up some from just always shooting covenant and prometheans to also something similar to KOTH or Dominion, where your goal is to capture an area from them and then help fortify it. Or perhaps also bomb run, that would be nice too.

Variety is the spice of life after all.

> > > So what you’re saying OP, is that a 50 mission long 100% FREE second campaign that is known as Spartan OPs, will end up like Fire Fight!?
> > >
> > > Fire Fight was fun, but Spartan Ops is a second campaign, much better.
> >
> > No, I’m saying that its a big-budget CGI failure of a gamemode. It has no replayablility, a crap ton Of money is dumped into the CGI, and the missions are short and repetitive.
> >
> > It’s a terrible replacement for firefight, and will end up in the garbage can just like firefight did.
>
> OH!
> So you have a time machine…
>
> Dude, the first 2 episodes made sense to be a tiny bit repetitive.
> It’s not a failure of a gamemode, it has replayability. <mark>Missions are short to make the download smaller and shorter, you make them any longer, and you start packing on some memory, and the more memory space it needs, the longer the download.</mark>
> <mark>But hey, I guess you find any game mode out side of standard MP a failure.</mark>

What download? There is no update or download, the content on your disc is simply unlocked. The missions are short and repetitive to save room on the disc for the campaign and multiplayer aspects.

OP is simply stating that firefight and spartan ops are dissatisfying and need to be replaced.