Firefight/ Co-Op Lag NEEDS to go.

I’ll admit, I have no idea how game processing works, but one thing that I would really like to see in Halo 4 is that atrocious co-op/ matchmaking firefight lag gone. Nothing more frustrating than going into a co-op game with your buddy in Reach, and because he’s the host, you’re almost a clear second behind him and have a goofy “delay”; it’s very prevalent in firefight matchmaking that practically makes the DMR and all other precision weapons useless (as I’m sure as all of you know already). It’s odd, I go and play Co-Op in Battlefield 3 or even Gears of War 3, and there is no crazy delay or lag. Yes, there might be something here and there in those games, but it’s nowhere near the level of lag that Halo co-op brings. I’m not sure what they have to do in the coding or whatever, but I would hope they would do something to get rid of that lag once and for all. I think it would make the overall experience of the game more enjoyable.

Doesn’t the lag have something to do with the host and clients exchanging information regarding the status of the AI? I pretty much gave up with online co-op and just signed in guests or a dummy profile.

I agree; playing Co-op or FF MM is impossible. It’s strange too because I never had any problems with this kind of lag in Halo 3 online Co-op.

The developer may be able to help but ultimately it’s your problem. Get a job and pay the $25 a month for cable internet.

I never have problems and I don’t even have very fast cable.

Yeah, it’s really bad. Since ODST, they’ve used a lockstep synchronous network model in the online co-op modes, which is an atrocious network model that was originally designed for multiplayer RTS games, where everyone lags as bad as the laggiest player and your game won’t respond to your input every network update until everyone’s input per network update was validated and sent back by the host.

They claimed some -Yoink- about the AI requiring it (yet there is NO modern cooperative shooter on the market that uses this network model), and Halo 3 vanilla used a distributed model and the online co-op worked fine. There’s no reason they couldn’t go back to that.

> The developer may be able to help but ultimately it’s your problem. Get a job and pay the $25 a month for cable internet.
>
> I never have problems and I don’t even have very fast cable.

I do. I and hundreds others like me have this problem, it’s got nothing to do with cable quality. Whoever’s host never lags, but all his/her guests have extreme controller response lag.

> The developer may be able to help but ultimately it’s your problem. Get a job and pay the $25 a month for cable internet.
>
> I never have problems and I don’t even have very fast cable.

I have 50 up and 25 down internet. Believe me, I shouldn’t be having this problem. It’s an issue that has to do with the game itself, not my internet connection. I know countless others who have this issue as well.

Here the real problem:

HALO LACKS DEDICATED SERVERS.

It is quite pathetic. The flagship series for the XBox doesn’t have it, yet gears, Bf3, and others do have them.

Microsoft, stop being a cheap -Yoink- and get dedicated servers. We are paying for online with gold accounts, why don’t we have them, yet PSN is free and games over there have dedicated servers?! What a joke.