Firefight and SpOps can co-exist.

Hello forum goers. Hello 343i. Let me begin by congratulating 343i on an incredible, extremely worthy installment in the Halo saga. You’ve earned the right to step out of Bungie’s shadow, and I can’t wait to see how you build off of these first successes with the continuing Reclaimer Trilogy and whatever else may come (side stories, other genres, more trans-media endeavors…yes please!). I also appreciate the humility shown by Frankie in the most recent Bulliten, owning up to missteps, communication problems, and cut features, but I for one applaud the dedication to the franchise that we love and the obvious passion put into this most recent and most incredibly daunting project, although at least half of the posts in this forum seem to think otherwise.

Back to my mention of cut features (and my post title), I would love to see SpOps and Firefight co-exist. Don’t get me wrong, I am crazy excited about the concept and potential of Spartan Ops. Are things perfect in Majestic and Crimson land right now? No. Are 343i sort of feeling things out as they go? Yes. Are they attempting to deliver a very ambitious episodic story, the likes of which have never been seen (at least within this universe)? Yes. Is there too much of a disconnect between the gorgeous cut scenes and the missions? Definitely. Do I think that things can improve as 343 settles into what SpOps is? Yes. And I’ll be first in line to PAY for Season 2 (and 3, and 4…)

Now I myself am a lore geek, proudly owning every bit of Halo fiction and re-reading most a number of times. I’ve been with Halo since the first days of CE, and have fond memories of the awe, mystery, and wonder experienced in that first campaign. Guess I’m showing my age a bit. :wink: Needless to say, I’m thrilled that 343 is giving us more story, more adventure, and more progress through Spartan Ops. It can feel cruel to have to wait 3 years between every 8-10 hour campaign. :wink: But I DO feel like Spartan Ops and Firefight can (and should) co-exist together! I’m sad that Firefight was sacrificed to make way for Spartan Ops. There’s a big gaping hole in that Infinity sub-menu where it should say Firefight!

Is it difficult to plug in Firefight, or add it on as DLC? Probably harder than I think it is, but I hope 343 will do this in the not too distant future. Then hopefully Spartan Ops can grow into its own unique section of the Halo 4 package, and not be shoehorned into an ‘online co-op only’ experience with simple objectives on repeptitive maps with a story thrown on top. The story, the lore, is important to me. I would love to feel more engaged with it, more drawn into it and intrigued by it. It has the potential to be quite riveting , but the cut scenes aren’t quite jelling with the missions yet, and I don’t really feel like a part of Crimson. Maybe 343 should consider taking Spartan Ops offline as well, and if I play it single player, please fill out the rest of Crimson with AI controlled Spartan IVs. Make it feel like it matters, like the story matters, like I’m shaping the ongoing story of the Infinity exploring Requiem, not just tossing me an excuse to supplant Firefight with a new mode trying to kill two birds with one stone.

Let Spartan Ops be Spartan Ops. Let it be story driven. Let it be episodic. Let it be meaningful. I’ll pay for it. I swear. And let Firefight be Firefight. The incredibly fun and highly addictive co-op arcade-y survival experience that it is. There’s certainly room for both to co-exist, and 343, we’ll love you even more for it.

Firefight could fit into the story as well making it be a sort of survival simulation for the Spartans to test and see how they would do if it was just a squad of them alone.

Good call.

I will probably never play it if they do add it, but I guarantee I won’t complain if they add it. So long as they keep spartan ops, they can add firefight easily. Hell, add leaderboards to firefight for all I care.

Y’know, whatever you wanna do. Not big on firefight, but I don’t HAVE to play it if I don’t wanna.

I’m not sure how realistic it would be, due to them already having us download a whole extra disk for MM and Spartan Ops.

I do think it would be nice if we could customize SO like firefight :slight_smile: Skulls and such

I just want scoring back with an actual Carnage Report.

Halo 4 needs a survival mode. SpOps is great, but its not a survival mode. I love survival modes in games like blops, gears, odst, and reach. It really does need to come back. I’d settle with a non-matchmaking firefight if that’s what it takes.

I really miss Gruntpacolypse, and all the FF variants that could be played in customs.

Discuss…

Oh wait… not my thread. I agree with OP 100 percent.

I also think Firefight should make a comeback but I don’t see it happening. 343 have ploughed too much time and effort into Spartan OPs to see it fail and <mark>it would fail</mark> if Firefight was offered alongside it.

People would play each Spartan OPs episode once to experience the story element of it and then probably stick to Firefight as it’s more fun. I know that’s what I would do anyway.

Haha. THIS. Firefight is sooooo much fun, and such a fresh take on the rest of the Halo multiplayer suite. I hope I don’t sound entitled or something, as I do feel 343 has done a quite commendable job and give us a wide range of features. But even though Firefight is a relatively new feature, having only been in ODST and Reach, I feel like it was so much fun and popular enough that it really cemented itself as a pillar of the Halo MP offerings. Sometimes I get exhausted playing PVP, and SpOps could be soooo much better and focused and intense if it didn’t have to double as a Firefight replacement. I also like the above idea as to how 343 could include Firefight in the fiction, as a ‘squad survival simulation.’

> I also think Firefight should make a comeback but I don’t see it happening. 343 have ploughed too much time and effort into Spartan OPs to see it fail and <mark>it would fail</mark> if Firefight was offered alongside it.
>
> People would play each Spartan OPs episode once to experience the story element of it and then probably stick to Firefight as it’s more fun. I know that’s what I would do anyway.

I doubt Spartan OPS would fail even if Firefight was added.

Actually the way I see it, people would play Spartan OPs, then play Firefight, then go back to Spartan OPs because it has a lot more variety of gameplay options (vehicles, objectives, heck even enviornments offer a generally different experience then the wave based mode that is firefight), more so then Firefight.

Overall, its how firefight should be implemented in Halo 4 if it was to be returned, Reach was more arcade like and ODST was survival based, if we can get a good mix of the two or bring back the survival based gameplay that was in ODST, then I could see Firefight being as fun or about the same as Spartan OPs.

I enjoy Spartan OPs and I enjoyed Firefight from Halo 3: ODST and Halo Reach, but I think that 343i should stick to improving spartan ops instead of working on a firefight mode for the Halo 4. I enjoy Spartan OPs, but others find it boring (I can make the same arguement about firefight, but I’m not going to go there), I think this is a great time for 343 to improve Spartan OPs. Make it more challenging, more missions to be able to fail, new enviornments, add scoring, make it playable offline and other additions will make Spartan Ops a better experience that it already is, not saying its already a bad or lackluster experience, cause it isn’t, IMO I enjoy it alot more then I did firefight for various reasons.