Fire rate does not mean skill

Since when did rate of fire dictate a player’s level of skill? Ultimately, in Halo 5, it all comes down to the same things no matter if you are using a precision weapon or an automatic weapon.

1. Maintaining an effective range. Depending on the weapon, you’re either “closing the gap” or keeping a reasonable distance. Both take skill if you want to be effective with your weapon.
  2. You must hit your shots. No matter if you are firing one round ar a time, or holding down the trigger, everyone needs to keep the reticle on target. It’s all fair game: a player’s skill of keeping a steady aim determines who comes on top.
  3. Weapon stengths and weaknesses. No matter what, each player must be familiar with a weapons sttenths and weaknesses. Skilled players will be effective in combat with a weapon regardless of weaknesses the weapon has.
    You see, different weapons require similar, but different skills

That’s all well and good, but given the size of most of the maps one will commonly play in Arena, or more specifically the size of the areas that most encounters are likely to take place, automatic weapons tend to dominate because of how effective they now are over range (in comparison to previous titles).

Higher level play is the exception, not the rule. Not everyone will get the near perfect shot consistency to outgun automatic weapons on these small maps.

Reducing the effective range (RRR) of automatic weapons would certainly fix this issue, even if only by a relatively small percentage.

Had a slayer game that I dominated single handedly with the Storm Rifle alone in Riptide, I think I had over 25 kills. One of the members of the losing team messaged me and acted like I was ruining the game/playing it wrong just because I wasn’t using a magnum or BR when it was their fault for being grouped together all the time and never watching their backs so getting up close to them was so easy and of course a point black weapon like the Storm Rifle is perfect when fighting a precision weapon from an inch away, but knowing weapon strengths and weaknesses was somehow wrong to him.

And I cant tell you the amount of times someone in breakout will talk to me like an idiot just because I drop the magnum(the “weapon that takes skill”) for an AR(my main used weapon)…Until I help them win then they’re mysteriously quiet.

It’s not the fact that every single auto weapon is overpowered (some autos could use a slight range nerf imo). But there are too many on the map at any given time, and many encounters take place in smaller rooms where auto rifles dominate due to close ranges.

The SMG and Storm Rifles are almost Power Weapons in their own right, and they sit next to actual power weapons like the Shotgun, and they’re in relatively easy to reach areas. You can’t get off 5 shots with the Pistol let alone Perfect with it, and their TTK is just a hair longer than the SAW’s TTK.

> 2533274978562759;1:
> Since when did rate of fire dictate a player’s level of skill? Ultimately, in Halo 5, it all comes down to the same things no matter if you are using a precision weapon or an automatic weapon.
>
> 2. You must hit your shots. No matter if you are firing one round ar a time, or holding down the trigger, everyone needs to keep the reticle on target. It’s all fair game: a player’s skill of keeping a steady aim determines who comes on top.

1. An automatic’s reticule is vastly bigger than a precision weapon’s reticule making it easier to stay on target when using an automatic.

2. You’re forgetting that different weapons have different amounts of aim assist and bullet magnetism which means that someone using a storm rifle for example is going to be able to keep their reticule on the target easier than someone using a pistol.

…I can’t wait for Halo 6 to be a BR only game thanks to people who consistently complain about other guns besides Battle Rifles being viable. YAY.

> 2533274805075298;6:
> …I can’t wait for Halo 6 to be a BR only game thanks to people who consistently complain about other guns besides Battle Rifles being viable. YAY.

I don’t think it’ll be like that, they can clearly see the difference between people not wanting to adapt and actual balance issues.

The BR is also really easy to use and needs adjustments as well. Like Jester said, it’s a balancing issue which needs to be fixed in H6 since I doubt they’ll do anything in H5.

> 2727626560040591;5:
> > 2533274978562759;1:
> >
>
> 1) An automatic’s reticule is vastly bigger than a precision weapon’s reticule making it easier to stay on target when using an automatic.
>
> 2) You’re forgetting that different weapons have different amounts of aim assist and bullet magnetism which means that someone using a storm rifle for example is going to be able to keep their reticule on the target easier than someone using a pistol.

1a) “Vastly” is relative to the weapon itself. So much so that calling the H2BR a precision weapon is incorrect, it’s just a giant headshot registering burst weapon.

b) Reach and on automatics, for the most part, use bloom to allow pulsed auto shooting to be rewarded. They also use this function to punish mindless fullauto use. In other words, simply holding the trigger on an auto won’t net an easy kill. The amount of reticle coverage, especially if red or blue, matters much more than simply being on target when using fullauto. If pulsing the weapon, bullet magnetism will be max and reward edge of the red reticle hits. If the reticle is blue, the edge of the reticle won’t matter, it will be the centre of the crosshairs.

c) CE-H3 autos are pretty boring and mindless. Either 2-layer or not spread/magnetism control at all.

2a) What must also be considered is hitscan versus not. The SR has decent magnetism but is avoidable with strafing + thrustering. It isn’t a weapon to use past MT range in head-on fights.

b) There is also red reticle ranges to consider. The condition to which unlinked fighting occurs. The precisions (minus the Gunfighter) have unlinked RRR’s of 36.5m. The RRR of the M6 is 36.5/56m, the AR is 24/43m, the SMG 19/30m, the SR 23/39m.
The 25m range MT is the “perfect” indicator of automatic red reticle range. If a target is within MT range, they can be attacked with an automatic weapon. However, anything 15m and beyond requires either Smart Linking and/or a form of pulsing. In the SR’s case, leading of a moving target as well.
Conversely, if a target is not on the MT, they should for sure be attacked with an M6. It has 36.5m of unlinked RRR, just spam until you see the shields drop, quick-scope the last shot to the head to ensure 100% hit to the head (the M6 has 0 spread but a smidge of bloom when unlinked).

So fire rate kind of does mean skill

Hasn’t it been this way for all the halos?

> 2603643534597848;9:
> > 2727626560040591;5:
> > > 2533274978562759;1:
> > >
> >
> > 1) An automatic’s reticule is vastly bigger than a precision weapon’s reticule making it easier to stay on target when using an automatic.
> >
> > 2) You’re forgetting that different weapons have different amounts of aim assist and bullet magnetism which means that someone using a storm rifle for example is going to be able to keep their reticule on the target easier than someone using a pistol.
>
> 1a) “Vastly” is relative to the weapon itself. So much so that calling the H2BR a precision weapon is incorrect, it’s just a giant headshot registering burst weapon.
>
> b) Reach and on automatics, for the most part, use bloom to allow pulsed auto shooting to be rewarded. They also use this function to punish mindless fullauto use. In other words, simply holding the trigger on an auto won’t net an easy kill. The amount of reticle coverage, especially if red or blue, matters much more than simply being on target when using fullauto. If pulsing the weapon, bullet magnetism will be max and reward edge of the red reticle hits. If the reticle is blue, the edge of the reticle won’t matter, it will be the centre of the crosshairs.
>
> c) CE-H3 autos are pretty boring and mindless. Either 2-layer or not spread/magnetism control at all.
>
> 2a) What must also be considered is hitscan versus not. The SR has decent magnetism but is avoidable with strafing + thrustering. It isn’t a weapon to use past MT range in head-on fights.
>
> b) There is also red reticle ranges to consider. The condition to which unlinked fighting occurs. The precisions (minus the Gunfighter) have unlinked RRR’s of 36.5m. The RRR of the M6 is 36.5/56m, the AR is 24/43m, the SMG 19/30m, the SR 23/39m.
> The 25m range MT is the “perfect” indicator of automatic red reticle range. If a target is within MT range, they can be attacked with an automatic weapon. However, anything 15m and beyond requires either Smart Linking and/or a form of pulsing. In the SR’s case, leading of a moving target as well.
> Conversely, if a target is not on the MT, they should for sure be attacked with an M6. It has 36.5m of unlinked RRR, just spam until you see the shields drop, quick-scope the last shot to the head to ensure 100% hit to the head (the M6 has 0 spread but a smidge of bloom when unlinked).

I always enjoy the post you give for info and response to statements with detailed analysis. I’ve also been bewildered by the stigma that people who use the AR with burst and single shot like me are somehow decried as cheating or noobish. So how they overlook the fact that the “skillful” percisin weapon often have more access to aim assist for longer ranges and can be fired at the maximum fire rate without getting penalized by any real recoil or controllable bloom.

But anyways, I dont get the point of calling fully automatic fire “spraying”. That only really works for CQB. And yes, you need a degree of skill and fire control to effectively kill with on outside of twenty meters. Ya don’t see people telling percison wielding foes to stop firing the trigger and pace your shots so they don’t kill as fast now.

> 2535455681930574;11:
> Hasn’t it been this way for all the halos?

Apparently for some people, in Halo 5, skilled players are those who use semi-automatic precision weapons. Because autos are made more powerfully and more useful compared to the memories of past titles, people become annoyed by the fact that people can now out gun a precision weapon at close and mid ranges using an automatic. The fact is both types of weapons require skill.