Final thoughts on the community

At this point, i decided a thread needed to be created that bashed both communities’ players for acting less intelligent than they really are.

I remember when MLG players and casual players respected each other. Where people would see a youtube video of MLG players and wish (and try) they were as good as them. However the casuals dont really understand this in halo. They don’t care. How come in other large gaming franchises such as COD the players, pretty much most of the average teenager gaming base, see an MLG/some other badass competitive player player in COD and think its amazing? but these new halo players that havent actually played enough halo in the past to know what its supposed to be like dont even care. Its not their fault; THEY HAVE NOT BEEN GIVEN REASON TO RESPECT COMPETITIVE PLAYERS.

So in order for this community to listen to any mlg or largely successful player and their views of how this game should be setup competitively, the newer players need to respect the competitive ones, and the competitive ones the newer players… But the new players dont understand that these new halo games arent competitive enough for most competitive players. Its pretty much too late for them to understand what competitive players want. Its pretty well known that nostalgia is a driving factor for alot of players. the Newer players accuse us of this, wanting a remake of halo 2 (which isnt necessarily true) when they dont release their nostalgia of halo reach and now 4 is blinding them from possibilities of a game where all players are happy. Not that they are terrible games; they are just created more and more to appeal to the casual community and less the competitive community.

This community or the games it drives 343 to create will never change unless the new and casual players become ready to nut up and try the ideas that the competitive community has to offer this game series, as the competitives have tried with the ideas in reach and 4. There will always be bickering until the competitive players learn to deal with the (understandable) complaints of the casual community, and when the casual community is able to step outside the box welded around them by the developers.

This rift between the communities was expanded by reach and now 4 has widened the gap further. If anyone wants this argument to end and to have the two “communities” (Ive used the term throughout the whole post, and i HATE it)rejoin each other, we must all stop screaming with unintelligible thoughts at the other side, and be willingly to calmly create new ideas and concepts that make the entire player base happy.

As much as i hate this metaphor, look at the COD players. You have people with dramatically different playing styles, as well as reasons for even playing. However it generally is all one community. You dont hear the MLG players -Yoinking!- about the less experienced players in general matchmaking (except when they use noob tubes.)

everyone can be made happy. But it seems the community doesn’t even want to try. Ive never seen any community so separated. So many problems could be so easingly fixed if the community was willing to calmly argue and propose ideas. If people were willing to cooperate, the community could again become a whole, a spirit that has been noticibly missing since halo 3 and the days before. The community here shares interest in a common game. We should appreciate each other as halo would not be possible without either community. Instead of telling someone they are wrong, tell them HOW they are wrong, and if its an idea,offer suggestions that could make it work.

Thats all. As it becomes harder and harder for people to cooperate with anyone else, the whole community will pretty much fall apart.

What I personally want more then anything else is to see the community united again. The days of playing halo 2 and 3 were significant to me because i felt as if i were playing a game that the community and the developer created. and everyone was happy with it. Maybe they werent. but the community as a whole was still attached and even with its bumps it thrived. as halo 3’s success made evident.

reserved.

Sorry, I had a TL;DR moment here, but from the bit I read you feel average players don’t know enough of the competitive community to really realize how awesome they are?

If that’s the case, it’s not our fault or theirs, it mostly lies in with marketing in a way.

343i should actively support MLG, host events with prizes (if Microsoft doesn’t do so already). And build more hype. I personally used to watch a lot of MLG plays back when Halo 3 was out just to take notes and see how to play better, and it really did help.

I stopped because of Reach, way less skill needed IMO.

I just watched a vid of puckett playing on a ‘The Pit’ remake and the map looked good and the vid would be good if it wasn’t lagging to hell. And I must say it was my first half ways MLG vid since H3 and I liked it.

The best thing 343i do would be to feature MLG on their news feeds more often, maybe have a weekly vid special on MLG maps, game types and players, up coming events, in game events, like have an additional in game weekly hopper for MLG along side a permanent MLG playlist. The weekly one could be MLG Doubles or something.

But what I was trying to emphasize is that 343i is totally missing an avenue for marketing, advertisement and a draw for the community. And they are missing out completely. If they don’t do something soon it may fizzle out completely.

Agreed 100%, but I dont see this happening at all. Back during H2 days I practiced non stop to become good. You actually had to play, learn strats, etc…H2 and H3 were competitive games and look at how well they did. Casual players evolved into skilled players, that is what will keep this franchise going. Now new players are being handed kills, and this is not developing skill at all. What ever happened to competitive spirit is beyond me

Oh and I agree. But my primary point is none of the complaints of either community will ever be fixed unless both sides are willing to cooperate to make the community a whole again. Thats a big thing missing in halo 4 for me. That feeling of a community. It doesnt feel social able, it feels frustrated. I dont even want to go into game chat because I don’t feel like any of the people that use their mics really care about the other people playing.

> Oh and I agree. But my primary point is none of the complaints of either community will ever be fixed unless both sides are willing to cooperate to make the community a whole again. Thats a big thing missing in halo 4 for me. That feeling of a community. It doesnt feel social able, it feels frustrated. I dont even want to go into game chat because I don’t feel like any of the people that use their mics really care about the other people playing.

Last few times I encountered people with mics, this is the basic conversation:

Game 1:Guys on my team talking about various forms of what is considered homosexual.

Game 2:Being called terrible players and that we should kill ourselves (Enemies said that).

Game 3:Some ‘gangsta’ sounding African american telling us we’re the cause of us losing, which I replied with, “I don’t know what the hell you are saying”.

Game 4: Got matched up with a 3rd guy in Slayer Pro, used call outs, we won most of our games and had fun and we ended up adding each other.

Those all weren’t consecutive games, most of the time I’m in a party chat for the above reason.

Thats pretty much how it goes. And even outside of game chat, these communities cannot agree on anything.

> THEY HAVE NOT BEEN GIVEN REASON TO RESPECT COMPETITIVE PLAYERS.

Exactly. The maturity level of the MLG are something to be desired.

Even my MLG friend has zero positive things to say about them. His exact words are: “They embarrass me to no end with their behavior.”

Those were his words not mine.

They want respected, they need to take a god long hard look at themselves.

> > THEY HAVE NOT BEEN GIVEN REASON TO RESPECT COMPETITIVE PLAYERS.
>
> Exactly. The maturity level of the MLG are something to be desired.
>
> Even my MLG friend has zero positive things to say about them. His exact words are: “They embarrass me to no end with their behavior.”
>
> Those were his words not mine.
>
> They want respected, they need to take a god long hard look at themselves.

I see that you stopped reading there. I went on to say that both communities needed to take a good, hard look at themselves. And I wasent referring to the maturity level of MLG players, i was referring to the fac that MLG cant strut their stuff because they dont have anything to do it with.