Fiction that Bungie and 343 agreed on

There is one thing that both companies have gone at great lengths to keep consistent with the fiction. This:

0600 HOURS, NOVEMBER 2, 2525 (MILITARY CALENDER) / EPSILON ERIDANI SYSTEM, REACH UNSC MILITARY COMPLEX, PLANET REACH

The Chief dug into his jacket pocket. “I was hoping to see you before they shipped me out. I have something for you.” He set a small metal disk on the riser between them.
“When you first came here,” the chief said, “you fought the trainers when they took this away from you–broke a few fingers as I recall.” His chiseled features cracked into a rare smile.
John picked up the disk and examined it. It was an ancient silver coin. He flipped it between his fingers.
“It has an eagle on one side,” Mendez said. “That bird is like you–fast and deadly.”
John closed his fingers around the quarter. “Thank you, sir.”
He wanted to say that he was strong and fast because the Chief had made him so. He wanted to tell him that he was ready to defend humanity against this new threat. He wanted to say that without the Chief, he would have no purpose, no integrity, and no duty to perform. But John didn’t have the words. He just sat there.
Mendez stood. “It had been an honor to serve with you.” Instead of saluting, he held out his hand.
John got to his feet. He took the Chief’s hand and they shook. It took a great deal of effort–every instinct screamed at him to salute.
“Goodbye,” Chief Mendez said.
He turned briskly on his heel and strode from the room.
John never saw him again.

In every game, every book, every comic. Chief never did see Mendez ever again. For a book that was released two weeks prior to Halo: Combat Evolved, I’m glad no one ever contradicted that last line in any future lore.

However, just something I’d like to see though. Whenever John-117 dies (and he WILL eventually die) perhaps he could go out in a bang while floating in zero gravity on some ship somewhere. He could take off his helmet and then pull the coin out of a pocket or pouch. And seeing the side with the eagle floating in front of him, he could smile.

That would be a great way to nod off his legacy. Letting the fans who read The Fall of Reach know that Halsey’s coin was never forgotten.

This is how extended lore should be incorporated into a game. Subtle and short.

I’ve given this example before, but I’ll state it again here: H2 did it best during the Armory cut scene. The armory tech asks Johnson how he got off Halo in the first game. Johnson responds dismissively with “sorry guns, it’s classified.” All of the events of First Strike got condensed into four words. The casual fans can move on and enjoy the rest of the game while the lore nerds get a subtle and short nod to the extended universe they know and love.

From what I recall John still carries the coin. It’s one of his only personal belongings.

343, for as much as the community seems to dislike how they’ve taken the story, have imo still made the extended universe pretty faithful to its predecessor developer. Barring the main story of the recent main halo titles, I feel like most of it has only enhanced the universe, but not broken or ruined it in any way.

> 2533274854088130;4:
> 343, for as much as the community seems to dislike how they’ve taken the story, have imo still made the extended universe pretty faithful to its predecessor developer. Barring the main story of the recent main halo titles, I feel like most of it has only enhanced the universe, but not broken or ruined it in any way.

Likely because the authors have been writing Halo novels for years or are experienced and praised sci-fi writers with novels for other universes under their belt. I really wonder how Halo 5’s campaign would have turned out had any of those writers been hired. It gave me hope when I heard the writer for the Arkham games was hired for Infinite. One of the most exciting bits of news to continually get hyped over is the fact that we have an experienced and talented writer this time around.

I agree with you for sure. The extended lore is very memorable and enjoyable to experience.

I think 343i has a lot of good intentions with the important parts of lore and they make sure to keep those in tact. They could’ve easily just left Cortana as an enemy to Chief, something the previous company wouldn’t have done, and made sure he resented her. However they made sure to highlight this unbreakable bond between the two characters and made sure that John’s very human instincts remained. I wouldn’t be surprised if the coin physically is shown off at some point.

> 2535435902217648;2:
> This is how extended lore should be incorporated into a game. Subtle and short.
>
> I’ve given this example before, but I’ll state it again here: H2 did it best during the Armory cut scene. The armory tech asks Johnson how he got off Halo in the first game. Johnson responds dismissively with “sorry guns, it’s classified.” All of the events of First Strike got condensed into four words. The casual fans can move on and enjoy the rest of the game while the lore nerds get a subtle and short nod to the extended universe they know and love.

I agree with you for the most part and I could see why small snippets like this would be appealing but I kind of like the further incorporation of the extended universe into the mainline game because there is so much lore in the universe that it feels a little strange when it feels like there are opportu ities to bring casual fans more in depth into the universe but these opportunities aren’t utilized because some people don’t like the inclusion of story from outside the games.

I don’t know if this counts, but the demo of Halo Wars 2 from E3 got changed for example Jerome says “It’s good to see Master Chief is still alive” in the demo, I feel like 343i watched Halo Canon’s video and changed it to “It’s good to see John is still alive” when Isabel describes the Covenant ship graveyard.

> 2533274854088130;4:
> 343, for as much as the community seems to dislike how they’ve taken the story, have imo still made the extended universe pretty faithful to its predecessor developer. Barring the main story of the recent main halo titles, I feel like most of it has only enhanced the universe, but not broken or ruined it in any way.

Eh, there was some bits from the Kilo-Five trilogy that were definitely a bit iffy.

All content is agreed on and 343 tries not to dispute the heavy pieces of canon like that. Personally, I didn’t mind how Bungie did things with keeping the books and games in seperate story bubbles to keep them from being too reliant on each other but I do like how 343 isn’t afraid to sprinkle the heavier parts of the lore into the games. Makes it easier to carry a conversation with my Halo peeps who NEVER picked up a Halo related book in their life.