Few canon questions.

1. On the Truth and Reconciliation after John meets up with Keyes the Captain says he overheard the Elites talking about how Halo is a powerful weapon and whoever controls it controls the fate of the universe. How would the Elites know it was a weapon? The Covenant believed it was a religious artifact that would transcend them into Godhood. Unless they mean a weapon against the heretics this seems a bit off. Anyone wanna explain?

2. After Installation 04 was destroyed why did the hierarchs try and execute Thel? You would think destroying the Flood would be more important than saving the Ring. If they wanted to preserve it that badly then what were they gonna do about the Flood outbreak? How ere they gonna keep the flood away from their starships?

3. The Pillar of Autumn fled Reach on August 30th and arrived at Alpha Halo on September 19th. Where was the PoA all that time? Did the jump really take that long? And if so what is it like for the crew during that time? Are jumps instant for the crew and time passes outside or what? Did the crew just see 2 weeks of blackness?

4. What exactly was Halsey’s latchkey discovery? I assumed it was part of the coordinates to Installation 04 with completed the incomplete ones from Sigma Octanus IV yet if so HOW exactly did Halsey know it would save humanity? After all she said “Bury this and you bury mankinds last hope for survival” How would she know it led to Halo? And even then how would she know it would save humanity?

the covenant were highly religious and bellieved halo was the key to a great afterlife and cared about it more than stopping the flood.

the latchkey discovery wasnt halseys it was proffesor laslo’s discovery and it allowed halsey to decrypt the information in the artifact

> the covenant were highly religious and bellieved halo was the key to a great afterlife and cared about it more than stopping the flood.
>
> the latchkey discovery wasnt halseys it was proffesor laslo’s discovery and it allowed halsey to decrypt the information in the artifact

1. I know that but what was their plan then to stop the flood? Fire the ring? How the Flood controlled that sector.

2. I know but that is not answering my question.

> 1. On the Truth and Reconciliation after John meets up with Keyes the Captain says he overheard the Elites talking about how Halo is a powerful weapon and whoever controls it controls the fate of the universe. How would the Elites know it was a weapon? The Covenant believed it was a religious artifact that would transcend them into Godhood. Unless they mean a weapon against the heretics this seems a bit off. Anyone wanna explain?
>
> 2. After Installation 04 was destroyed why did the hierarchs try and execute Thel? You would think destroying the Flood would be more important than saving the Ring. If they wanted to preserve it that badly then what were they gonna do about the Flood outbreak? How ere they gonna keep the flood away from their starships?
>
> 3. The Pillar of Autumn fled Reach on August 30th and arrived at Alpha Halo on September 19th. Where was the PoA all that time? Did the jump really take that long? And if so what is it like for the crew during that time? Are jumps instant for the crew and time passes outside or what? Did the crew just see 2 weeks of blackness?
>
> 4. What exactly was Halsey’s latchkey discovery? I assumed it was part of the coordinates to Installation 04 with completed the incomplete ones from Sigma Octanus IV yet if so HOW exactly did Halsey know it would save humanity? After all she said “Bury this and you bury mankinds last hope for survival” How would she know it led to Halo? And even then how would she know it would save humanity?

1. The prophets believed that firing the ring would help them asscend to god-hood and would destroy all heretics. Simple enough.

2. They didn’t care about the flood only as long as they would be able to fire the ring.

3. It really did take that long to travel, the entire crew except for some skeleton crew workers were in cryo sleep like the master chief.

4. The latchkey discover was the ability to translate the forerunner language and the reason Halsey made it some important was because she knew of the Covenant’s obsession with the Forerunners and understanding the enemy is the best way to defeat them.

1. Perhaps they thought it would wipe out all heretics in the galaxy once activated.

2. They were protecting the “Oracle”, which was the thing most important to them.

3. Yes.

4. We don’t know.

> 1. Perhaps they thought it would wipe out all heretics in the galaxy once activated.
>
> 2. They were protecting the “Oracle”, which was the thing most important to them.
>
> 3. Yes.
>
> 4. I’m not sure.

Double post.

I hate this.

> 1. Perhaps they thought it would wipe out all heretics in the galaxy once activated.
>
> 2. They were protecting the “Oracle”, which was the thing most important to them.
>
> 3. Yes.
>
> 4. We don’t know.

For the third one. Yes to what? Jumps are instant for them but time passes for everyone else or do they just see black for 2 weeks?

> > 1. Perhaps they thought it would wipe out all heretics in the galaxy once activated.
> >
> > 2. They were protecting the “Oracle”, which was the thing most important to them.
> >
> > 3. Yes.
> >
> > 4. We don’t know.
>
> For the third one. Yes to what? Jumps are instant for them but time passes for everyone else or do they just see black for 2 weeks?

Jumps aren’t instant, they take a long time actually. However most of the crew would go into cyro so to preserve food and time.

> 3. The Pillar of Autumn fled Reach on August 30th and arrived at Alpha Halo on September 19th. Where was the PoA all that time? Did the jump really take that long? And if so what is it like for the crew during that time? Are jumps instant for the crew and time passes outside or what? Did the crew just see 2 weeks of blackness?

Most of the other questions have been addressed, so I’ll go into depth with this.

1. Yes, it did. In fact, a 20 day jump is relatively normal for a UNSC ship. A short jump usually takes a few weeks, and a long jump can take a few months. Covenant ships are much quicker (Forerunner ship being even faster). During it’s time in slipspace, A skeleton crew would have been kept awake while most of the crew would be in cryo, waking up just before the Autumn exited slips space. And yes, that means three weeks of blackness.

> 1. On the Truth and Reconciliation after John meets up with Keyes the Captain says he overheard the Elites talking about how Halo is a powerful weapon and whoever controls it controls the fate of the universe. How would the Elites know it was a weapon? The Covenant believed it was a religious artifact that would transcend them into Godhood. Unless they mean a weapon against the heretics this seems a bit off. Anyone wanna explain?

First of all, it is Cortana who says that - IF she understands the Covenant transmissions correctly - the Covenant believe Halo is “some kind of weapon,” and it is Keyes who relates his guards’ discussion about the controllers of Halo being able to control the fate of the universe. As it turns out, Cortana did not completely understand what she heard over the Covenant battlenet, as we learn in Halo 2 that the Covenant believe the Halo Array’s primary purpose is to propel them forth on the Great Journey. They do also believe, however, that activating Halo will halt the spread of vermin (human “heretics”) and infections (the Flood); remember, according to their legends, the activation of the Halos not only allowed the Forerunners to transcend the physical realm, but also stopped the Flood in the process.

> 2. After Installation 04 was destroyed why did the hierarchs try and execute Thel? You would think destroying the Flood would be more important than saving the Ring. If they wanted to preserve it that badly then what were they gonna do about the Flood outbreak? How ere they gonna keep the flood away from their starships?

The Halos are the centerpiece of the Covenant religion. Without them, the Covenant can never journey to the divine beyond. Thus, allowing one of them to be destroyed is a devastating blow to the Covenant, and an irrevocable sin. As for the Flood, if Thel had managed to preserve Halo long enough for it to be activated, then the Covenant would have achieved godhood, and the Flood would all be dead. Thus, the Flood would pose no threat at that point.

Yes, the jump did take that long. In fact, that’s easily among the shorter Slipspace jumps we see throughout the series, given that most of them actually take at least a month, and often several. Most of the crew (all that were not needed for the day-to-day operations of maintaining the ship) was placed into cryogenic stasis, as is the case with all other Slipspace jumps. The Master Chief himself went into cryo-sleep, which is why you see him been “awoken” in the beginning of Halo: CE.

> 4. What exactly was Halsey’s latchkey discovery? I assumed it was part of the coordinates to Installation 04 with completed the incomplete ones from Sigma Octanus IV yet if so HOW exactly did Halsey know it would save humanity? After all she said “Bury this and you bury mankinds last hope for survival” How would she know it led to Halo? And even then how would she know it would save humanity?

We don’t really know the specifics of this yet (it seems likely, at least to me, that the matter will be resolved in Halo: Glasslands), but most people tend to agree with your conclusion about the excavation data helping lead Cortana to Installation 04’s location. She likely could not glean from the Forerunner artifact precisely what the coordinates led to, but she knew it was important and that it possessed technology far superior to even that of the Covenant. For all we know, she picked up a reference to a “great weapon” of some sort (which would explain her reference to “a defense against the Covenant” gleaned from the artifact) and figured that, whatever it was, it could turn the tide of the war. In summary, most of what she said to Noble Team about her latchkey discovery was likely theory and extrapolation, but her statement about the artifact containing “mankind’s best chance for survival” was completely true; with Reach about to be completely destroyed, Earth (and the rest of mankind’s population with it) had an absolute maximum of only a month or two left before the Covenant located and glassed it as well.

> > 3. The Pillar of Autumn fled Reach on August 30th and arrived at Alpha Halo on September 19th. Where was the PoA all that time? Did the jump really take that long? And if so what is it like for the crew during that time? Are jumps instant for the crew and time passes outside or what? Did the crew just see 2 weeks of blackness?
>
> Yes, the jump did take that long. In fact, that’s easily among the shorter Slipspace jumps we see throughout the series, given that most of them actually take at least a month, and often several. Most of the crew (all that were not needed for the day-to-day operations of maintaining the ship) was placed into cryogenic stasis, as is the case with all other Slipspace jumps. The Master Chief himself went into cryo-sleep, which is why you see him been “awoken” in the beginning of Halo: CE.

No I mean what is Slipspace like for those who do not go to cryosleep? Is that time instant for them or do they just go though 2 weeks of being in Slipspace?

> > > 3. The Pillar of Autumn fled Reach on August 30th and arrived at Alpha Halo on September 19th. Where was the PoA all that time? Did the jump really take that long? And if so what is it like for the crew during that time? Are jumps instant for the crew and time passes outside or what? Did the crew just see 2 weeks of blackness?
> >
> > Yes, the jump did take that long. In fact, that’s easily among the shorter Slipspace jumps we see throughout the series, given that most of them actually take at least a month, and often several. Most of the crew (all that were not needed for the day-to-day operations of maintaining the ship) was placed into cryogenic stasis, as is the case with all other Slipspace jumps. The Master Chief himself went into cryo-sleep, which is why you see him been “awoken” in the beginning of Halo: CE.
>
> No I mean what is Slipspace like for those who do not go to cryosleep? Is that time instant for them or do they just go though 2 weeks of being in Slipspace?

Yes they live through the 2 weeks of darkness in slipspace.

> > > > 3. The Pillar of Autumn fled Reach on August 30th and arrived at Alpha Halo on September 19th. Where was the PoA all that time? Did the jump really take that long? And if so what is it like for the crew during that time? Are jumps instant for the crew and time passes outside or what? Did the crew just see 2 weeks of blackness?
> > >
> > > Yes, the jump did take that long. In fact, that’s easily among the shorter Slipspace jumps we see throughout the series, given that most of them actually take at least a month, and often several. Most of the crew (all that were not needed for the day-to-day operations of maintaining the ship) was placed into cryogenic stasis, as is the case with all other Slipspace jumps. The Master Chief himself went into cryo-sleep, which is why you see him been “awoken” in the beginning of Halo: CE.
> >
> > No I mean what is Slipspace like for those who do not go to cryosleep? Is that time instant for them or do they just go though 2 weeks of being in Slipspace?
>
> Yes they live through the 2 weeks of darkness in slipspace.

How do they function? You can’t see in slipspace.

> How do they function? You can’t see in slipspace.

…Where did you get that idea?

> > How do they function? You can’t see in slipspace.
>
> …Where did you get that idea?

To the human eye, slipspace appears pitch black, because there is nothing in the visible spectrum to see. From tFoR and GoO.

>
>
>

1. They knew it was a weapon but they did not understand it
  2. The prophets are big fat jerks, never trust them
  3. You do not understand slipspace do you? read here: NameBright - Coming Soon (I still do not know how to hyperlink here)
  4. It was not Halsey’s discovery, well in a way you can say it was but only indirectly

> . You do not understand slipspace do you? read here: NameBright - Coming Soon (I still do not know how to hyperlink here)

I believe you still don’t understand my question. Ok it is August 4th right now, lets say I jumped into Slipspace right now for a month. I pop out on September 4th, everyone says I was gone for a full month they all missed me blah blah blah. Now to ME the one IN Slipspace do I feel and experience a full month in Slipspace? Or is that one month for me feel only like a few seconds? If not then how do the skeleton crews on ships do their job? Because you can not see while in Slipspace.

You realize i posted a link (without hyperlinking) to an article explaining slipstream space right op?

> You realize i posted a link (without hyperlinking) to an article explaining slipstream space right op?

I do not believe Halopedia has an answer.