Feelings on the weapon art direction?

In general I’m really happy with a lot of what we saw from the early beta footage, but the one thing that really seemed to irk me was the overall weapon designs. The AR is one of the only weapons that looks obviously “Halo” but I just felt like the new designs specifically the BR and SMG in no way fit within the UNSC design language. The scope on the BR and also the orange coloring/readout needs to be changed. It just doesn’t have a “Halo” aesthetic. My beef with the SMG is that it just has a very unmemorable silhouette to it especially when you compare it to something iconic looking like the AR or the pre-H4 Sniper Rifle.

Maybe this seems to nitpicky but there definitely seems to be a lack of visual consistency so far with how the weapons are designed.

I agree. The weapons look like generic CoD weapons. Even the new Rocket Launcher.

Halo 5 is going in the wrong direction imo. I think true Halo has ended. They changed it so much into this… mess…

I actually liked Halo 5’s weapon aesthetics (scopes aside). Definitely a big step up from Halo 4. Are you sure the “memorability” of previous weapon designs isn’t simply an artifact of their age? We’ve been using the AR since 2001, of course it’s going to have a recognizable silhouette.

> 2533274809306688;2:
> I agree. The weapons look like generic CoD weapons. Even the new Rocket Launcher.
>
> Halo 5 is going in the wrong direction imo. I think true Halo has ended. They changed it so much into this… mess…

Well, we’ve only been hearing that since Halo 2.

I didn’t mind most of it, though there seems to be detail for the sake of detail on some of them.

I’m worried about the new rocket launcher though. It just looks like a generic launcher from COD. If it is replacing the classic launcher we’ve had since CE I’m going to be so mad.

I like a military style of weapons, im not crazy about the forerunner and promethean weapons. maybe some covie weapons, but it feels like the direction is more militarized.

> 2535420014591908;4:
> > 2533274809306688;2:
> > I agree. The weapons look like generic CoD weapons. Even the new Rocket Launcher.
> >
> > Halo 5 is going in the wrong direction imo. I think true Halo has ended. They changed it so much into this… mess…
>
>
> Well, we’ve only been hearing that since Halo 2.

I’m not like that. I’ve seen the bad stuff happen with Halo 4. I love all Halo games that Bungie made. And yes, I know 343 consists of a lot of former Bungie members. But that’s not the point.

Halo 4 went into the wrong direction. And honestly… Can you say Halo 5 so far looks like Halo? I don’t think that if they announced that it was Halo 5 beta gameplay people surely would confuse it with it being CoD or something else.

Halo CE to Reach were the best ones and you could see they were HALO games. :3

The UNSC has been fighting a war for the last 20 years, there was no time for new designs and technology advancements. Now that the war times over of corse the tech skyrockets and new weapons would emerge

> 2533274809306688;7:
> > 2535420014591908;4:
> > > 2533274809306688;2:
> > > I agree. The weapons look like generic CoD weapons. Even the new Rocket Launcher.
> > >
> > > Halo 5 is going in the wrong direction imo. I think true Halo has ended. They changed it so much into this… mess…
> >
> >
> >
> > Well, we’ve only been hearing that since Halo 2.
>
>
> I’m not like that. I’ve seen the bad stuff happen with Halo 4. I love all Halo games that Bungie made. And yes, I know 343 consists of a lot of former Bungie members. But that’s not the point.
>
> Halo 4 went into the wrong direction. And honestly… Can you say Halo 5 so far looks like Halo? I don’t think that if they announced that it was Halo 5 beta gameplay people surely would confuse it with it being CoD or something else.
>
> Halo CE to Reach were the best ones and you could see they were HALO games. :3

The imporatnant part of Bungie stayed at 343! im sorry I hate to say it but Bungie sealed there fate with Activision… Destiny was turned into this complete hash of crap and even though Bungie didn’t want it that way they let it happen. I truly believe if Bungie would have kept workingon Halo itd be in a even worse spot right now. 343 is taking feedback but is not afraid to cross new lines and push the boundaries

> 2533274859436467;8:
> The UNSC has been fighting a war for the last 20 years, there was no time for new designs and technology advancements. Now that the war times over of corse the tech skyrockets and new weapons would emerge

Historically, weapons technology has advanced quickest during wartime. The UNSC certainly got next to nowhere during their ~500 years of peace.

> 2533274859436467;9:
> > 2533274809306688;7:
> > > 2535420014591908;4:
> > > > 2533274809306688;2:
> > > > I agree. The weapons look like generic CoD weapons. Even the new Rocket Launcher.
> > > >
> > > > Halo 5 is going in the wrong direction imo. I think true Halo has ended. They changed it so much into this… mess…
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > Well, we’ve only been hearing that since Halo 2.
> >
> >
> >
> > I’m not like that. I’ve seen the bad stuff happen with Halo 4. I love all Halo games that Bungie made. And yes, I know 343 consists of a lot of former Bungie members. But that’s not the point.
> >
> > Halo 4 went into the wrong direction. And honestly… Can you say Halo 5 so far looks like Halo? I don’t think that if they announced that it was Halo 5 beta gameplay people surely would confuse it with it being CoD or something else.
> >
> > Halo CE to Reach were the best ones and you could see they were HALO games. :3
>
>
> The imporatnant part of Bungie stayed at 343! im sorry I hate to say it but Bungie sealed there fate with Activision… Destiny was turned into this complete hash of crap and even though Bungie didn’t want it that way they let it happen. I truly believe if Bungie would have kept workingon Halo itd be in a even worse spot right now. 343 is taking feedback but is not afraid to cross new lines and push the boundaries

I agree with Bungie and such… They went to -Yoink- kinda…

As for Halo 5 and 343… They’re just -Yoinking!- it up in my opinion. :confused:

> 2533274809306688;7:
> > 2535420014591908;4:
> > > I agree. The weapons look like generic CoD weapons. Even the new Rocket Launcher.
> > >
> > > Halo 5 is going in the wrong direction imo. I think true Halo has ended. They changed it so much into this… mess…
> >
> >
> >
>
>
> I’m not like that. I’ve seen the bad stuff happen with Halo 4. I love all Halo games that Bungie made. And yes, I know 343 consists of a lot of former Bungie members. But that’s not the point.
>
> Halo 4 went into the wrong direction. And honestly… Can you say Halo 5 so far looks like Halo? I don’t think that if they announced that it was Halo 5 beta gameplay people surely would confuse it with it being CoD or something else.
>
> Halo CE to Reach were the best ones and you could see they were HALO games. :3

That’s cool, thanks for giving us your opinion.

After watching more gameplay…

I like: the Pistol, the DMR
Growing on me: the SMG
Tolerable: the Sniper and AR (they’re almost exactly the same as Halo 4, as far as I can tell, which is a bit disappointing), the grenade/rocket launcher
Still ugly: BR (because of the weird pointy scope), the Prophet’s Bane

> 2533274971873081;12:
> > 2533274809306688;7:
> > > > I agree. The weapons look like generic CoD weapons. Even the new Rocket Launcher.
> > > >
> > > > Halo 5 is going in the wrong direction imo. I think true Halo has ended. They changed it so much into this… mess…
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> >
> >
> >
> > I’m not like that. I’ve seen the bad stuff happen with Halo 4. I love all Halo games that Bungie made. And yes, I know 343 consists of a lot of former Bungie members. But that’s not the point.
> >
> > Halo 4 went into the wrong direction. And honestly… Can you say Halo 5 so far looks like Halo? I don’t think that if they announced that it was Halo 5 beta gameplay people surely would confuse it with it being CoD or something else.
> >
> > Halo CE to Reach were the best ones and you could see they were HALO games. :3
>
>
> That’s cool, thanks for giving us your opinion.

It’s an opinion a lot of other people have. Except some of them think Reach was -Yoink- too. But I liked Reach. :]But yeah, it comes down to opinions indeed. Some people may love Halo 4. But I know that’s not a huge number because of the population drop within just a few months.

> 2533274809306688;7:
> > 2535420014591908;4:
> > >
> >
> >
> >
>
>
>
>

I don’t see how Halo 5 can possibly be considered worse than Reach. Reach was the least “Halo” Halo to date IMO. The moment to moment gameplay was completely different. Even Halo 4- without the Arena gameplay- felt closer to home.

> 2533274846978810;15:
> > 2533274809306688;7:
> > > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
>
>
> I don’t see how Halo 5 can possibly be considered worse than Reach. Reach was the least “Halo” Halo to date IMO. The moment to moment gameplay was completely different. Even Halo 4- without the Arena gameplay- felt closer to home.

Because of how it looked and played. I think most people hated it in the beginnng because of sprint, loadouts and bloom. These got changed after awhile. Halo Reach is very enjoyable at the moment. :slight_smile:

Halo 4 might be a good game, but it’s just not a good Halo game. But this is where things go bad. We can’t confirm that or anything else. It comes down to opinions. You think Halo 4 and 5 look closer to Halo than Reach. But I think the exact opposite.

> 2535420014591908;10:
> > 2533274859436467;8:
> > The UNSC has been fighting a war for the last 20 years, there was no time for new designs and technology advancements. Now that the war times over of corse the tech skyrockets and new weapons would emerge
>
>
> Historically, weapons technology has advanced quickest during wartime. The UNSC certainly got next to nowhere during their ~500 years of peace.

I do believe the focus was about space travel and the colonies were like the pilgrims in a way with just trying to get basic necessities down, and there was no real use for advanced war weapons since the UNSC was like NATO with no real thrats until the insurrectionists started causing trouble but even then numbers out weighed advanced weapons

I’m generally fine with the new designs. I like that 343 seems to be moving away from the pure metal chunks of rifle for the UNSC. The Forerunners can keep the all metal weapons while the UNSC has a slightly more contemporary design. I would say the new AR in particular is now actually a bit closer to its clearly Aliens inspired origins.

I’m actually okay with the new Sniper for the most part It would look better with a different scope.

The only other new thing we have gotten a good look at is the Sword which I don’t actually mind that much, I just hope it doesn’t completely replace the old design since it is supposed to be a ‘legendary weapon’ or whatever.

opinion

Just give me a full black under suit and a little more beat up armor for spartans.

If elites are playable, make them look like the elites from the halo 2 remastered cut scenes. They looked perfect there to me,not to bulky,not to hunched. Also stop portraying elites as slow idiots, I noticed when Locke got in a fight with the elite in nightfall, the elite was slow. Elites are trained since they can walk for battle, I don’t think one would move like he was drunk.

For weapons, don’t make the BR scope so round. The other weapons are ok, but they do look a little rough on the edges but that’s probably because its a beta year before launch.