FEEDBACK FROM A HALO VETERAN: AIMING

Let me preface this by saying Halo Infinite is fun. It is the Halo game that I want to play instead of the previous games on MCC. This does not mean that Halo Infinite is the best Halo, but it does have potential to be one of the best.

A little about me: I’ve played Halo since the CE days, played Xbox Live since Halo 2. Attended numerous local tournaments throughout Halo 2 and Halo 3.

I continued playing through Reach, Halo 4 and Halo 5 but these last few I never really enjoyed. So I’ve been waiting more than ten years for a true Halo experience, and I can say with confidence that Halo Infinite feels like it can be just what I’m looking for.

So, without any further ado, let’s talk about the game.

I will start with the issue that has me truly worried about this game, the issue that could make me not want to play it or buy it, a dealbreaker. And that is: the aiming. As I mentioned, I’m a Halo veteran, and I’m a controller guy, I will not switch to mnk, that’s not my thing. And honestly, the aiming feels terrible. It feels even worse than Halo 5 at launch. I understand that games should not be easy to play, specially since 343 wants to promote a competitive scene and cross play. I get that. But I think it’s a mistake if they don’t also cater to controller players.

And the best way for me to explain it is this: I feel like I’m fighting my controller stick instead of my opponents. Which ends in total frustration. I want the game to be challenging but fun. Aiming has to be something that I will not notice, something that allows me to compete and get rewarded. And this is ultimately what’s wrong with the aiming in Halo Infinite, there’s way too much effort needed and very small reward. I’m not lying when I say my right thumb hurts after playing.

Things I’ve been able to detect about the aiming:

• It feels every weapon has different aim assist levels. This is bad, it makes the learning curve unnecessarily hard without any higher purpose in sight. - It feels weapons have different aim assist levels by distance. For example the commando feels like it has plenty of aim assist at a distance but up close it feels like it doesn’t have any. - The reticles have been getting progressively smaller with each new game. And Halo has never been that kind of game. Halo CE had big reticles but no magnetism, so it was easy to track enemies, but you still need to fix the crosshair in order for bullets to hit. - Bloom. I cannot believe that 343 is still falling into this trap. Reach proved Bloom doesn’t belong in Halo, and yet once again they’re adding bloom into the game. - Recoil. I’m not against recoil, but it has to make sense. Some weapons like the Assault Rifle are more accurate if you fire at will, if you fire in bursts, it is unpredictable, here’s the evidence: video. But when you pair recoil and bloom, you just have a recipe for disaster and player frustration. - The plethora of aiming settings have players scrambling online for the perfect settings, because nobody knows how to fix the aiming. This causes players who underperform to blame the settings and continuously tweak them to get better results, to no avail. I was never forced to spend so much time tweaking in older games because the aim just worked. In Halo Infinite I’ve spent hours in training mode, this is a huge red flag, and it’s worrying.I was planning to talk about many other aspects of the game, but this is getting too long, so I’ll create other topics later on. Please discuss.

I agree, the aim on controller is inconsistent. I think the look acceleration is wonky, for sure. The deadzones are difficult to tune. The zoom aiming on every weapon is not smooth, and lowering the zoom sens doesn’t help much.

Again, I think the look acceleration is either inconsistent or it is messing with other aspects of the aim code. I don’t think aim assist is causing the issues we’re experiencing, but the issues do affect the consistency of aiming across the board. It is simply not smooth like it always used to be.

I agree with this post. I hope they review it and fix it. I use a controller too.
I feel like when I am shooting the shooting is different than when I am just looking around.

THE AIMING NEEDS TO BE FIXED.

Had a blast and a good amount of success in the beta, though that doesn’t escape the fact that the aiming does feel overbearing. Like you said, you consciously notice it at all times, something that was effortless and flowed in classic titles.

Thank you for clearly communicating what I’ve been feeling while playing the beta. ‘Fighting the controller stick instead of my enemies’ about sums it up.

The commando is a great example of this, it feels like two separate guns with two separate play styles at close vs long range. When a single battle moves from close to long range ( or vice versa ), I find myself frustrated with the aim experience, even when I get the kill(s)

> 2533274793785428;5:
> Thank you for clearly communicating what I’ve been feeling while playing the beta. ‘Fighting the controller stick instead of my enemies’ about sums it up.
>
> The commando is a great example of this, it feels like two separate guns with two separate play styles at close vs long range. When a single battle moves from close to long range ( or vice versa ), I find myself frustrated with the aim experience, even when I get the kill(s)

Exactly. When you get kills you don’t have that feeling of accomplishment, you’re just as frustrated because it wasn’t smooth, it felt like some random bullets finally hit the enemy.

I have about the same halo background, started with CE, spent more time than id like to admit on H2 and 3, and also played all the newer ones with H2 and 3 as my all time fav (halo 2 winning by a bit as i felt it had a higher skill gap and better competitive ranking system). But this was what i posted as my issues on the feedback forum. with aim being my biggest issue, just doesnt feel like halo

The issues i have with Halo Infinite (maybe some are just original xbox one issues from being less optimized?)

1. the menu system and navigating home screens are far too complicated, they are all over the place
  2. the post game report should just have one page that shows ALL players like older titles. not MORE menus
  3. the hud is way too small, both equipment and grenades should be easily seen, not tiny specs in the corner.
  4. the in game sound is muffled and does not give directional awareness, it all blends together, cant tell if things are coming from 2 steps behind me or across the map in front
  5. the weight and feel of impact while being shot, half the time i didnt even “feel” or notice i was being shot at unless i was looking at the person shooting me. Id die from shots across the map and barely notice till it was too late i was even taking damage.

>>>>and these are my biggest issues<<<<<

1. weapon balance is all over the place “power weapons” and other pickups like br felt week, AR and pistol felt op, seemed to have little point in grabbing anything other than starting weapons (loses the halo map/weapon control)
  2. TTK is WAY too short, the strafing gun battles halo is known for feels non existent, feels more like a who saw who first gets the kill run n gun (loses halo feel)
  3. no matter what setting are used aim feels wrong, inconsistent and janky, despite all setting combinations. if i dial in the hipfire the ADS feels way off, if i get the ADS setting down for one gun the hip fire is off. trying to make small aim movements felt like i was fighting the reticle as it wanted to move in large fast chunks, if i want langer quick movements it felt sluggish. nothing felt smooth.

The aim assist is insanely strong close to medium range, playing with both controller and m&k I’m more in the party of tuning it down. Instead of every close encounter with a controller player becoming a race to martyr myself with grenades so I at least keep the score consistent. If you got anything it would be at a negative to what you already have as it’s already unfairly balanced as it is.

I have to agree with the above comments. I thought I was just out of practice (which admittedly I am), but there did seem to be a certain amount of inconsistency in weapon aiming. That said from the limited time I did get to play (UK based, so only could really play the first 4 hour slots), Infinite does feel closer to Halo 3 than any game since.

Obviously there were bugs, on a few occasions I had to quit and restart as the game would not progress while loading the map, I could navigate the menu, but it would pop up network error messages. In one instance the map loaded but I had no hud. A couple of hangs, and match progress wasn’t logged. However, I’m still using a 2014 xbox one, so I’m quite impressed how well it is working.

Couldn’t of said it better my self.
I’m also fighting my controller stick plus trying to cope with finger twitch I’m getting old and I’m not a prancing horse on my controller anymore… More like hammer hands and thumbs. While trying to enjoy my fav game while trying to improve and get one kill, I’m all for practice but man thats a whole lot of hard work just to get reasonable to kick back and enjoy some halo time…
I got an elite 2 adjusted the sticks on their pitiful 2 click tension. Im down to 2.4 sens dead zones up and I’m still struggling to get that dam crosshair to move just right. Every other halo I’ve never struggled like this it gets very frustrating. Lol

> 2533274798121403;8:
> The aim assist is insanely strong close to medium range, playing with both controller and m&k I’m more in the party of tuning it down. Instead of every close encounter with a controller player becoming a race to martyr myself with grenades so I at least keep the score consistent. If you got anything it would be at a negative to what you already have as it’s already unfairly balanced as it is.

It varies from weapon to weapon. Aiming close range with the AR is easy, aiming close range with the commando is impossible. This variance in the aiming according to weapon and range is obnoxious and should be fixed.

Once it’s fixed we can discuss whether it needs to be toned down or not.

> 2535442869382937;10:
> Couldn’t of said it better my self.
> I’m also fighting my controller stick plus trying to cope with finger twitch I’m getting old and I’m not a prancing horse on my controller anymore… More like hammer hands and thumbs. While trying to enjoy my fav game while trying to improve and get one kill, I’m all for practice but man thats a whole lot of hard work just to get reasonable to kick back and enjoy some halo time…
> I got an elite 2 adjusted the sticks on their pitiful 2 click tension. Im down to 2.4 sens dead zones up and I’m still struggling to get that dam crosshair to move just right. Every other halo I’ve never struggled like this it gets very frustrating. Lol

I feel you brother, I’m also getting old and my hands get crammed if I play too much so I have to take rests.

I’m also on an elite 2 and I had to lose the tension all the way down in order to not get my thumb crammed trying to aim.

I don’t have this problem in other shooters.

> 2533274821521504;12:
> > 2535442869382937;10:
> > Couldn’t of said it better my self.
> > I’m also fighting my controller stick plus trying to cope with finger twitch I’m getting old and I’m not a prancing horse on my controller anymore… More like hammer hands and thumbs. While trying to enjoy my fav game while trying to improve and get one kill, I’m all for practice but man thats a whole lot of hard work just to get reasonable to kick back and enjoy some halo time…
> > I got an elite 2 adjusted the sticks on their pitiful 2 click tension. Im down to 2.4 sens dead zones up and I’m still struggling to get that dam crosshair to move just right. Every other halo I’ve never struggled like this it gets very frustrating. Lol
>
> I feel you brother, I’m also getting old and my hands get crammed if I play too much so I have to take rests.
>
> I’m also on an elite 2 and I had to lose the tension all the way down in order to not get my thumb crammed trying to aim.
>
> I don’t have this problem in other shooters.

I’m hoping the internal version is better I know ske7ch has mentioned that 343 do hear us on aim and are looking into it I’ve got my fingers crossed.
I feel stupid after the first flight I noticed aim was different from other halos and I would struggle. So I brought a elite 2 thinking the adjustments on the controller would help… although I do now own a very nice controller.

I wish there was more flighting but I think that was the last one… A shame they can’t just leave the Training Mode open till launch to all halo insiders. Probably not ideal but maybe it would help some adjust to the aim style before launch.

Dam good halo game tho keep up the hard work 343i

I definitely had trouble aiming initially.

I reduced all deadzones to 0% and put the aim acceleration to maximum (5 I think?) so that there is no delay at all when I move the sticks.

That made the aiming feel a hell of a lot more responsive but obviously my aim was still a bit off due to less aim assist in the game. So then I spent hours and hours practicing against bots in practice mode while I waited for matchmaking. After a few hours I got used to the reduced aim assist and I actually think I now prefer the way that Infinite controls.

I do worry that I’ll get a little rusty between now and December and will have to practice a load again to get it feeling comfortable again. I’m hoping that I don’t have to spend ages messing around with the controller settings again at launch to get it feeling good again.

> 2533274821521504;1:
> Let me preface this by saying Halo Infinite is fun. It is the Halo game that I want to play instead of the previous games on MCC. This does not mean that Halo Infinite is the best Halo, but it does have potential to be one of the best.
>
> A little about me: I’ve played Halo since the CE days, played Xbox Live since Halo 2. Attended numerous local tournaments throughout Halo 2 and Halo 3.
>
> I continued playing through Reach, Halo 4 and Halo 5 but these last few I never really enjoyed. So I’ve been waiting more than ten years for a true Halo experience, and I can say with confidence that Halo Infinite feels like it can be just what I’m looking for.
>
> So, without any further ado, let’s talk about the game.
>
> I will start with the issue that has me truly worried about this game, the issue that could make me not want to play it or buy it, a dealbreaker. And that is: the aiming. As I mentioned, I’m a Halo veteran, and I’m a controller guy, I will not switch to mnk, that’s not my thing. And honestly, the aiming feels terrible. It feels even worse than Halo 5 at launch. I understand that games should not be easy to play, specially since 343 wants to promote a competitive scene and cross play. I get that. But I think it’s a mistake if they don’t also cater to controller players.
>
> And the best way for me to explain it is this: I feel like I’m fighting my controller stick instead of my opponents. Which ends in total frustration. I want the game to be challenging but fun. Aiming has to be something that I will not notice, something that allows me to compete and get rewarded. And this is ultimately what’s wrong with the aiming in Halo Infinite, there’s way too much effort needed and very small reward. I’m not lying when I say my right thumb hurts after playing.
>
> Things I’ve been able to detect about the aiming:
>
>
> - It feels every weapon has different aim assist levels. This is bad, it makes the learning curve unnecessarily hard without any higher purpose in sight. - It feels weapons have different aim assist levels by distance. For example the commando feels like it has plenty of aim assist at a distance but up close it feels like it doesn’t have any. - The reticles have been getting progressively smaller with each new game. And Halo has never been that kind of game. Halo CE had big reticles but no magnetism, so it was easy to track enemies, but you still need to fix the crosshair in order for bullets to hit. - Bloom. I cannot believe that 343 is still falling into this trap. Reach proved Bloom doesn’t belong in Halo, and yet once again they’re adding bloom into the game. - Recoil. I’m not against recoil, but it has to make sense. Some weapons like the Assault Rifle are more accurate if you fire at will, if you fire in bursts, it is unpredictable, here’s the evidence: video. But when you pair recoil and bloom, you just have a recipe for disaster and player frustration. - The plethora of aiming settings have players scrambling online for the perfect settings, because nobody knows how to fix the aiming. This causes players who underperform to blame the settings and continuously tweak them to get better results, to no avail. I was never forced to spend so much time tweaking in older games because the aim just worked. In Halo Infinite I’ve spent hours in training mode, this is a huge red flag, and it’s worrying.I was planning to talk about many other aspects of the game, but this is getting too long, so I’ll create other topics later on. Please discuss.

I don’t even think it’s aim assist that’s the issue.

The issue is that the aim-mechanic itself is janky, and changes sensitivity somewhere half-way on your stick. You have one sensitivity when you’re making fine adjustments close to origin position, and another sensitivity when you’re putting the stick to it’s max. There is NO way of knowing where on your stick you have the fine-tuned sensitivity and the fast-AF sensitivity, so when you’re trying to make micro-adjustments you can suddenly cross that invisible border from fine-tuned sensitivity to fast AF sensitivity. That causes you to widely overshoot, because you’re going faster than you wanted.

That’s why the aim is so janky, because you can’t control when one sensitivity is used. I went from that janky aim and hating the game, to actually playable sensitivity by changin A LOT of the sensitivity options. The default controller settings sucks. I adjusted deadzones, set look acceleration to 1, sensitivity to 8 and then FOV from 72 to 108 (max in Destiny 2, which I’ve been playing a lot so I figured I’d try that). That made my aim actually manageble, and mitigates the effects of that janky aim. I still have the issue, but it’s no where near as annoying, and I can actually play the game.

There is no -Yoinking!- way casual players will go through all that. They’ll just drop the game, and play something else where you aren’t fighting your controlls more than any enemy. This is Halo 5’s trash aim all over again, and I hate it.
P.S. I played on Xbox Series X

> 2535446745236801;15:
> > 2533274821521504;1:
> > Let me preface this by saying Halo Infinite is fun. It is the Halo game that I want to play instead of the previous games on MCC. This does not mean that Halo Infinite is the best Halo, but it does have potential to be one of the best.
> >
> > A little about me: I’ve played Halo since the CE days, played Xbox Live since Halo 2. Attended numerous local tournaments throughout Halo 2 and Halo 3.
> >
> > I continued playing through Reach, Halo 4 and Halo 5 but these last few I never really enjoyed. So I’ve been waiting more than ten years for a true Halo experience, and I can say with confidence that Halo Infinite feels like it can be just what I’m looking for.
> >
> > So, without any further ado, let’s talk about the game.
> >
> > I will start with the issue that has me truly worried about this game, the issue that could make me not want to play it or buy it, a dealbreaker. And that is: the aiming. As I mentioned, I’m a Halo veteran, and I’m a controller guy, I will not switch to mnk, that’s not my thing. And honestly, the aiming feels terrible. It feels even worse than Halo 5 at launch. I understand that games should not be easy to play, specially since 343 wants to promote a competitive scene and cross play. I get that. But I think it’s a mistake if they don’t also cater to controller players.
> >
> > And the best way for me to explain it is this: I feel like I’m fighting my controller stick instead of my opponents. Which ends in total frustration. I want the game to be challenging but fun. Aiming has to be something that I will not notice, something that allows me to compete and get rewarded. And this is ultimately what’s wrong with the aiming in Halo Infinite, there’s way too much effort needed and very small reward. I’m not lying when I say my right thumb hurts after playing.
> >
> > Things I’ve been able to detect about the aiming:
> >
> >
> > - It feels every weapon has different aim assist levels. This is bad, it makes the learning curve unnecessarily hard without any higher purpose in sight. - It feels weapons have different aim assist levels by distance. For example the commando feels like it has plenty of aim assist at a distance but up close it feels like it doesn’t have any. - The reticles have been getting progressively smaller with each new game. And Halo has never been that kind of game. Halo CE had big reticles but no magnetism, so it was easy to track enemies, but you still need to fix the crosshair in order for bullets to hit. - Bloom. I cannot believe that 343 is still falling into this trap. Reach proved Bloom doesn’t belong in Halo, and yet once again they’re adding bloom into the game. - Recoil. I’m not against recoil, but it has to make sense. Some weapons like the Assault Rifle are more accurate if you fire at will, if you fire in bursts, it is unpredictable, here’s the evidence: video. But when you pair recoil and bloom, you just have a recipe for disaster and player frustration. - The plethora of aiming settings have players scrambling online for the perfect settings, because nobody knows how to fix the aiming. This causes players who underperform to blame the settings and continuously tweak them to get better results, to no avail. I was never forced to spend so much time tweaking in older games because the aim just worked. In Halo Infinite I’ve spent hours in training mode, this is a huge red flag, and it’s worrying.I was planning to talk about many other aspects of the game, but this is getting too long, so I’ll create other topics later on. Please discuss.
>
> I don’t even think it’s aim assist that’s the issue.
>
> The issue is that the aim-mechanic itself is janky, and changes sensitivity somewhere half-way on your stick. You have one sensitivity when you’re making fine adjustments close to origin position, and another sensitivity when you’re putting the stick to it’s max. There is NO way of knowing where on your stick you have the fine-tuned sensitivity and the fast-AF sensitivity, so when you’re trying to make micro-adjustments you can suddenly cross that invisible border from fine-tuned sensitivity to fast AF sensitivity. That causes you to widely overshoot, because you’re going faster than you wanted.
>
> That’s why the aim is so janky, because you can’t control when one sensitivity is used. I went from that janky aim and hating the game, to actually playable sensitivity by changin A LOT of the sensitivity options. The default controller settings sucks. I adjusted deadzones, set look acceleration to 1, sensitivity to 8 and then FOV from 72 to 108 (max in Destiny 2, which I’ve been playing a lot so I figured I’d try that). That made my aim actually manageble, and mitigates the effects of that janky aim. I still have the issue, but it’s no where near as annoying, and I can actually play the game.
>
> There is no -Yoinking!- way casual players will go through all that. They’ll just drop the game, and play something else where you aren’t fighting your controlls more than any enemy. This is Halo 5’s trash aim all over again, and I hate it.
> P.S. I played on Xbox Series X

I agree. And this I mentioned in the post. Players keep trying changes and changes to the settings.

For example, your settings are totally different than mine, and I’m sure we both spent a great deal of time on training. This is a problem.