Feedback from a disgruntled fan

Yes, it’s another one of those threads, if you don’t like it or are just here to flame, then I invite you to press ctrl+w.

I’ve been a loyal Halo fan since CE. I’ve bought all the DLCs and played my decent share of hours throughout the series. By no means am I a pro-level competitive player, but I did enjoy the competitive spirit of Halo. I played to win, basically.

When it was announced that 343i would be taking over the Halo franchise, we were all worried, and rightfully so. 343i and MS have proven to be (in my mind and many others) unworthy of this Franchise. To the people that started playing Halo with Halo Reach/4, I understand why you might like it, and I won’t tell you to go play Halo 2/3 because those days are over, the prime time is past. It is sad, but you will never understand what made Halo great. So to those people: continue enjoying H4, by all means keep playing it, but don’t go around saying it’s the best in the franchise, because you’re wrong.

H4 was a disaster all over. It launched as an incomplete game and it took over half a year to release a TU with weapon updates. The on-disc maps are mostly BTB oriented, as well as 2 of the 3 released DLCs. Game types were stripped from the game, and the game types that remained were strictly limited. The UI is a huge step back from the H:R or H3 interfaces. Sprint can’t be turned off, not even for custom games. Armor mods and classes bring an imbalance to the battlefield. Ordnance drops were by far (imo) the greatest mistake, they brought randomness to what was previously a mostly unified and balanced playing field, where the better player won.

343i, you tried to cater to a fan base that was just not intended to play your game. You tried to make the game user friendly and reduce the learning curve, all while retaining your original fan base, and you failed, miserably. Your AAA game is rocking a fabulous 30k users daily. 7th place on XBL charts, congratulations. You lost the fan base that cared and couldn’t retain the one you aimed to please.

And now you’re releasing 3 new DLCs with armor skins that were in previous games and that shouldn’t have been taken out to begin with. And you’re selling it. Cheap move 343, cheap move. You know your game didn’t please most fans, specially the ones that bought the limited edition, and instead of trying to make up for it by releasing this new DLC as free content for these users (or hell, everyone) you’re once again cheaping out and trying to gain a quick buck. It’s standard market practice for companies such as EA or Activision, but Bungie never did it and we loved them for it. So once again, smooth move 343. This will be the first Halo DLC I will not buy, and it’s solely on you.

I have tried to cling on to faith that you would realize your mistakes somehow, but now I’ve lost it, so thank you for that. I won’t say I won’t be buying Halo 5, or barring Halo forever from my purchase list, but you guys have done one hell of a job trying to get me to do just that. Halo 4, for me, is now a lost cause. Maybe you’ll do it right for the next installment, I really hope you do, but in the meantime you have lost a once loyal fan.

343i, I’m just one guy expressing his opinions, I’m just $60usd less to you. In those terms, I am no one (And you sure are treating me like that). But I’m making my voice heard because there are many others that think the same as me. You’ve alienated a fan base and it seems you’re doing your damnedest to kill it off forever.

So I’ve spoken, do what you will.

This same spiel has been repeated for the last 8 months, man. I agree with you, but you’re a little late to the party.

343 has made it clear that they don’t give a -Yoink- about anyone critical of H4. You are no longer the target audience. Why? Because you actually have a brain and can think clearly about the pros and cons of a game and its parts.

Spending less time on these forums has been the greatest feeling. The crap that people say on here is downright depressing. Only reason I stopped by the last two days was to find answers about the armor mods. Of course 343 STILL doesn’t communicate with the forum, so I’ve been wasting my time.

> This same spiel has been repeated for the last 8 months, man. I agree with you, but you’re a little late to the party.
>
> 343 has made it clear that they don’t give a Yoink! about anyone critical of H4. You are no longer the target audience. Why? Because you actually have a brain and can think clearly about the pros and cons of a game and its parts.
>
> Spending less time on these forums has been the greatest feeling. The crap that people say on here is downright depressing. Only reason I stopped by the last two days was to find answers about the armor mods. Of course 343 STILL doesn’t communicate with the forum, so I’ve been wasting my time.

I’m not late, I’ve just been laying low. I’ve been suspended several times for expressing my opinion on here (albeit a bit rude on some occasions, but not all). I made a similar thread months ago expressing my faith towards 343 and hoping they wouldn’t let me (us) down. It went unnoticed.

This was just my final thread regarding Halo 4, I’m done.

I honestly respect you for posting this in such a polite way. While it’s untrue to say that Halo 4 is the best game in the franchise, it is also unfair to say that it isn’t. Both are just a matter of opinion.

Yes, I did hop into the Halo series with Reach, but I took the time to go back and play the rest because I enjoyed Reach so much that I wanted to see what other joys the franchise had to offer. And I was not disappointed…

I played through Combat Evolved and loved every minute of it. Halo was a new thing to me and I was gripped.

Then followed Halo 2 and, whilst I didn’t get the pleasure of experiencing the multiplayer that I’ve heard so much about, Halo 2 certainly became my favourite campaign of all time.

Halo 3 was no disappointment either. I thoroughly enjoyed the campaign and the multiplayer was a lot of fun too. I actually found myself doing better in Halo 3’s MM than I ever did in Halo: Reach’s.

I’ve never been a big fan of ODST though that seems to be the common response from most people, but it was still a great title.

Halo Wars, though different, definitely deserves a mention for being the game that got me into the lore. After I completed Halo Wars for the first time I went right out and began my collection of extended media. I now own all the novels and graphic novels as well as Halo Legends (possibly the best thing ever made).
So Now on to the point I’m getting at…

I love Halo CE. Anniversary too. I love Halo 2 and Halo 3. I love Halo wars and ODST. But I also love Reach and Halo 4 just as much. Surely I’m not the only person who truly enjoys both ‘old halo’ and ‘new halo’?

While i do love the halo series, and i think that halo 4 was a good game, it wasn’t as good as i would have liked. That being said, i loved the campaign- that was wonderfully done. Spartan Ops was excellent, thought a bit repetitive, and the multiplayer was alright.

Now i’m not saying i am the biggest, most hardcore fan of the series, but i do enjoy myself some good halo. because of that, i find myself unable to like the halo 4 multiplayer, because? Well. Because i find it to lack the signature halo fun that i have come to know and love. My first halo was halo 3, and i was a blast to play. my second was halo3: odst. i also loved it, simply because it was so different from everything else on the fps market at the time.

Now, this may offend or annoy some people, and i am well aware of that, but, in my opinion the halo: reach multiplayer was the most fun and the best to me. don’t get me wrong, i liked halo 3, but it never really captured my mind, made me want to give it my all and win every time i went into a game. halo: reach did. it did it so amazingly well, and i applaud bungie and their last hurrah with halo.

In summary, i think 343i made a wonderful game, and that it really is fun to play- but they should have focused on trying to make the multiplayer better. one flaw that i noticed immediately was the almost- almost- pandering to the “cod fanboys” in the way that you could sprint everywhere, nearly (and) all the time. granted this is a small blemish upon the excellence of halo 4, but stacked with the multitude of others, and it starts to look pretty bad, and play pretty bad.

This seems to have turned into a rather long ramble, so i’ll take my leave now. goodbye, fellow SPARTANS!

(for the record, i have played halo: ce, halo 2, halo 3, halo3: odst, halo: reach halo wars and halo 4)

I have played all of the Halo games from launch of CE all the way up through 4. I’ll admit I never finished ODST, but I could just never get into it. I think every person is going to feel differently about the series, but I have enjoyed all of the games and don’t really understand the “hate” for any of them.

Personally CE and Reach are my two favorites. I didn’t really care much for Halo 2, not sure why, but I think it was the constant switching back and forth between MC and Arbiter that just got to me. I also didn’t feel that the weapons were up to snuff vs. how they were in CE.

In all honesty I thought 343 did a pretty solid job with 4, even if it did take them a bit after launch. That’s typical these days though, you rarely ever get a game 90-100% finished at launch. The companies nowadays know that they can release a game only 70% finished and make all their profit off pre-orders, then fix the game at their leisure. Spartan Ops is really enjoyable to me, I actually enjoy it more than the campaign, because lets face it, after 4 games now, you may just get a little tired of being Master Chief. One of the things I enjoyed the most about Reach was the different cast of characters and the fact your armor customizations came through in the game and you could be male/female and really “own” the character of Noble 6. That’s the main reason Reach is my second favorite besides the original, I felt a lot more involved.

> H4 was a disaster all over. It launched as an incomplete game and it took over half a year to release a TU with weapon updates.

Bad example. Multiplayer gameplay in both Halo 2 and Halo 3 were broken until TU were released months afterwards to adjust things.

> The on-disc maps are mostly BTB oriented, as well as 2 of the 3 released DLCs. Game types were stripped from the game, and the game types that remained were strictly limited. The UI is a huge step back from the H:R or H3 interfaces. Sprint can’t be turned off, not even for custom games. Armor mods and classes bring an imbalance to the battlefield. Ordnance drops were by far (imo) the greatest mistake, they brought randomness to what was previously a mostly unified and balanced playing field, where the better player won.

100% agree. I hope all of 343i’s new features (as well as Bungie’s Loadouts and Armor Abilities) do not make it into Halo Xbox One.

> And now you’re releasing 3 new DLCs with armor skins that were in previous games and that shouldn’t have been taken out to begin with. And you’re selling it.

To be fair, they also added a bunch of stuff. Halo 4 definitely has more player customization than any previous Halo. I agree that Mark V and ODST should have never been removed in the first place (Perhaps because it doesn’t make sense that Spartan IVs would be using such outdated armor? See, this is why I firmly believe that storyline and extra modes such as multiplayer should be completely separate.), but it is additional content, so paying for it isn’t too much to ask.

> I have tried to cling on to faith that you would realize your mistakes somehow it seems you’re doing your damnedest to kill it off forever.

People say this stuff hoping to get people to see the damage they’re causing, but it doesn’t work. It’s just fluff. 343 (and any company) wants to know what you think of a product so that they can adjust and improve, but they couldn’t care less about your feelings.

These posts are so pointless I could scream. OP I know you were probably a glossy eyed 12 year old when Halo 2 released, but I hate to break it to you, IT WAS TERRIBLE UPON RELEASE. It took them 2 or 3 MONTHS to get it to where people were happy, and I hate to say it, but Bungie didn’t exactly just ask the community what they wanted like all of these ludicrous posts seem to indicate. Halo 3 was better, but they still had a period of adjustment. Both games released stuff that the fanbase didn’t like. They did. The difference is when Halo 3 released, it was still the ONLY major game with a working online multiplayer. COD didn’t exist (yet), and so it looked like gravy to everyone.
Halo 4 is a new company’s first attempt at an established franchise. All of you delusion entitled fans who think that Bungie never did a damn thing wrong don’t help them to make the franchise better. They took 6 months to get out a TU. I would imagine the chaos from millions of limited rants didn’t help them bullseye on what the community wanted, because in all reality, the community just wanted to complain.
So before you go on a rant about how loyal a consumer you are and your whiny “I’ve bought all the DLC’s” tirade, realize that YOU ARE NOTHING MORE THAN DOLLAR SIGNS TO ANY BUSINESS.

And by your logic referring to why the next DLC should be free, They should all be free. All the way back to H2, they should have been free. If almighty Bungie couldn’t give you enough maps upon release why should YOU the spoiled “me” generation consumer have to pay for them to provide you a service better?

For those who thought, tl;dr i’ll paraphrase.

OP’s opinion of h2 and h3 is absent of the MULTITUDE of flaws that were present before both games’ first TU, and getting mad about a company trying to make money is about as smart as getting mad at monkeys for throwing their poop.

> Yes, it’s another one of those threads, if you don’t like it or are just here to flame, then I invite you to press ctrl+w.
>
> I’ve been a loyal Halo fan since CE. I’ve bought all the DLCs and played my decent share of hours throughout the series. By no means am I a pro-level competitive player, but I did enjoy the competitive spirit of Halo. I played to win, basically.
>
> When it was announced that 343i would be taking over the Halo franchise, we were all worried, and rightfully so. 343i and MS have proven to be (in my mind and many others) unworthy of this Franchise. To the people that started playing Halo with Halo Reach/4, I understand why you might like it, and I won’t tell you to go play Halo 2/3 because those days are over, the prime time is past. It is sad, but you will never understand what made Halo great. So to those people: continue enjoying H4, by all means keep playing it, but don’t go around saying it’s the best in the franchise, because you’re wrong.
>
> H4 was a disaster all over. It launched as an incomplete game and it took over half a year to release a TU with weapon updates. The on-disc maps are mostly BTB oriented, as well as 2 of the 3 released DLCs. Game types were stripped from the game, and the game types that remained were strictly limited. The UI is a huge step back from the H:R or H3 interfaces. Sprint can’t be turned off, not even for custom games. Armor mods and classes bring an imbalance to the battlefield. Ordnance drops were by far (imo) the greatest mistake, they brought randomness to what was previously a mostly unified and balanced playing field, where the better player won.
>
> 343i, you tried to cater to a fan base that was just not intended to play your game. You tried to make the game user friendly and reduce the learning curve, all while retaining your original fan base, and you failed, miserably. Your AAA game is rocking a fabulous 30k users daily. 7th place on XBL charts, congratulations. You lost the fan base that cared and couldn’t retain the one you aimed to please.
>
> And now you’re releasing 3 new DLCs with armor skins that were in previous games and that shouldn’t have been taken out to begin with. And you’re selling it. Cheap move 343, cheap move. You know your game didn’t please most fans, specially the ones that bought the limited edition, and instead of trying to make up for it by releasing this new DLC as free content for these users (or hell, everyone) you’re once again cheaping out and trying to gain a quick buck. It’s standard market practice for companies such as EA or Activision, but Bungie never did it and we loved them for it. So once again, smooth move 343. This will be the first Halo DLC I will not buy, and it’s solely on you.
>
> I have tried to cling on to faith that you would realize your mistakes somehow, but now I’ve lost it, so thank you for that. I won’t say I won’t be buying Halo 5, or barring Halo forever from my purchase list, but you guys have done one hell of a job trying to get me to do just that. Halo 4, for me, is now a lost cause. Maybe you’ll do it right for the next installment, I really hope you do, but in the meantime you have lost a once loyal fan.
>
> 343i, I’m just one guy expressing his opinions, I’m just $60usd less to you. In those terms, I am no one (And you sure are treating me like that). But I’m making my voice heard because there are many others that think the same as me. You’ve alienated a fan base and it seems you’re doing your damnedest to kill it off forever.
>
> So I’ve spoken, do what you will.

I agree But I’ve seen so many of these posts that now I’m going to just ignore it…ignoring…ignoring…ignoring…