The Drop Wall is too weak, as its benefits are greatly outweighed by its disadvantages.

• +It allows weapons to work from behind it.
  • +It defends somewhat.
  • -It takes a long time to deploy.
  • -It breaks quickly.
  • -It doesn’t cover much space.
  • -It can be walked through.
2 Likes

The few times it has actually made a difference has mostly been newer players not knowing they can run through it. Other than that its just been something I never grab.

2 Likes

I accidentally grabbed one in the match I just played, and I tried to throw it before I was shot at.
It didn’t deploy until I was dead, and that’s why I made this topic.
Not only is it super weak, it can’t even deploy in time.

3 Likes

The one real use I’ve found for it is putting in a doorway to protect an oddball stops all the grenade spamming doing any harm

1 Like

Wouldn’t that only stop one volley, or is the wall causing them all to bounce far enough away that it doesn’t affect it?

The drop wall can be immensely useful, it is albeit situational for the best effect. For instance, drop walls can be extremely helpful when trying to push, especially in BTB. I’ve had matches where even in 2-3 vs 6-7 encounters went very successful for the smaller group because even if the drop wall is weak, it is still valuable seconds of time where you aren’t taking direct damage when you’re behind it, and even better, you are still dealing damage yourself from behind it.

But yeah, you can’t just whip it down for any challenge and expect it to work out for you. In that way, it is not so apparently powerful. Although when aptly used in a situation, it can make a huge splash in what happens in a fight.

1 Like

I guess I’m just used to equipment that works well for 1v1 or 1v2 battles.

Even I struggle to get much use out of it in 1v1-2s, but I am learning to get better with all equipment. Its … nature[?] in the sandbox is actually rather deceptive. Its direct predecessor, the Bubble Shield is set up to be very reactive in use. You pop it when you’re already in trouble, usually. The drop wall is not that, it’s too slow and limited in strength. Oddly, it is more of a proactive use item – better to be used to set up before you debut in the engagement. idk, for as much as the gun training is cool to have, I really feel like they should have set up something to train optimal equipment use. It took me a while to get this on my own.

1 Like

Yeah, I was thinking, “Wow, this is what they replaced the Bubble Shield with?”, when I saw how flimsy it was, but I guess it’s meant for some very specific uses that require anticipating events.

Adding tutorials for using specific equipment would definitely be helpful.

The shield should be a sphere (think bubble shield) with the projector is inside. The panels would be functionally the same where they take a small amount of damage and break. This would make it actually useful as you are covered from all sides. Even in campaign I find little reason to use this thing. In versus it can help in those peaking/poking fights at range, let you edge out someone with a sniper safely, but outside of that specific purpose it’s not that good.

2 Likes

Depends how they’re thrown I guess, but largely I’ve found they bounce off far enough for the shield to be justified. I’ve just found it stops teams being able to weaken the ball-carrier and those defending him before moving in for a quick kill - in Ranked in particular where you ideally don’t want to take a fight having already taken any damage

1 Like

That would probably make it somewhat more useful.
Maybe enough to use more often.

1 Like

Drop wall is kinda strong for what it does, any stronger and you will have players creating bunker walls anywhere they want on the map.

Personally I’d rather just have bubble shield back.

2 Likes

The bubble shield was more useful than this and it still let players wallk through it…

2 Likes

It makes sense to use them in that situation then, I guess.

Yeah, I don’t know why they removed it.
It wasn’t too powerful, and it didn’t cause matches to slow down that much, unlike Armor Lock.

1 Like

If people complain about 'slow down" that’s BS sometimes people need a breather to regain their bearings and see what’s going on games don’t have to be constant fast high-intensity moments that last for the entire match… the Only ‘slow down’ people should be complaining about is the game stuttering or lag…

1 Like

Yeah, I liked the slow moments in Halo 3’s multiplayer.
The game felt a lot more social because of it, and it still had Ranked and other playlist modes for a faster pace.

I’m not sure if anyone complained that the Bubble Shield slowed the game down, but I think people complained about Armor Lock doing that, so I’m just guessing that might have been the reason.

1 Like

I actually quite like the drop wall, it’s probably my most used equipment in ranked. It’s meant to be proactive and supplementary, not reactionary and all-encompassing. It’s not designed to help you survive fights, it’s designed to help you win multiple engagements. If you’re strafing and hitting your shots, a drop wall can help you win a 2v1 pretty consistently. It’s also great for peeking snipers, preventing Grenade bombardment, and more. Just set it along a sight line you expect an enemy to appear in and get ready to shoot

Oddly, I almost never have or see a Drop Wall when there are snipers or grenades.
Normally I see or grab them when I need something else.