Favourite Halo mission and Halo 4.

Out of all the Halo games what was your favourite mission?

Mine would be either The Arbiter in Halo 2 or The Covenant in Halo 3.

I mention this because there is a lot 343i can learn by looking at previous missions in the Halo series (obvious I know). Now The Covenant for example had a great mix of playstyles; there was vehicle combat, aerial combat and close and long ranged combat. As well as both enemies the Flood and the Covenant. This is the sort of mission I love and would enjoy playing in Halo 4’s campaign. Missions with a lot of variety in them are always the most fun to play.

So what are your favourite missions and what sort of inspiration should 343i take from them?

Note In no way am I suggesting that 343i copy previous Halo missions, merely that there have been some great missions previously and that I hope Halo 4 has missions that are as brilliant.

I loved ‘The Covenant’ and ‘The Ark’ but I love almost every mission from Halo 1-3. I love these because it’s bright, daytime, so many different vehicles and vehicle combat, unique objectives, completely different areas, and much more. They were amazing missions.

its been so long since I’ve played the halo games that I honestly couldn’t tell you what mission I liked the most.

however the mission that comes to mind is the halo: reach mission the spyre, or at least I think thats the name of it.

> its been so long since I’ve played the halo games that I honestly couldn’t tell you what mission I liked the most.
>
> however the mission that comes to mind is the halo: reach mission the spyre, or at least I think thats the name of it.

I think you mean the mission ‘Tip of the Spear’ which featured the Spire in it. That was probably the only mission I enjoyed in Halo Reach. I hope 343i and Halo 4 can do as good as Halo 1-3 in terms of the quality of the campaign missions and story.

My favourite Halo missions are probably the silent cartographer from Halo CE, NMPD HQ from ODST and Halo from Halo 3.

The Ark :slight_smile:

tip of the spear by far i love the beginning with the warthog crash.

I loved how they made the Halo 1 ending mission, The Maw, and the Halo 3 end mission, Halo, both had the vehicle escape.
They were quite tense.
I’ve found that many games can easily gain tension by incorporating the stresses of time, when used correctly.

The mix of grand outside environments and hectic inside environments of the Control Room levels on Halo 1 really were fantastic. One moment you were navigating tight hallways, fighting through tight circuits of enemies and moving into small, restricted outside spaces - bridges between inside spaces.
Eventually you’re outside with a dozen marines, speeding away on a ghost or warthog or scorpion tank.
Further along, the banshee section adds a real blend to all of this, and gives you an idea of the scale and verticality of the level, from the high level buildings down to the icy floor and caves filled with invisi-elites and road blocks with squads of grunts with turrets.

They need more missions like this. I think they attempted this in The Covenant mission in Halo 3.

Halo CE: two betrayals

Halo 2: gravemind

Halo 3: the storm

ODST: NMPD HQ

Reach: tip of the spear

These levels were my favorites throughout the games. I generally enjoyed all the levels throughout the series. But there were some levels i downright hated. Like Library, Regret, Cortana, long night of solace (the space faring was fun at first, then it got boring for me.

I would also throw in Mombasa streets in general in ODST.

> > its been so long since I’ve played the halo games that I honestly couldn’t tell you what mission I liked the most.
> >
> > however the mission that comes to mind is the halo: reach mission the spyre, or at least I think thats the name of it.
>
> I think you mean the mission ‘Tip of the Spear’ which featured the Spire in it. That was probably the only mission I enjoyed in Halo Reach. I hope 343i and Halo 4 can do as good as Halo 1-3 in terms of the quality of the campaign missions and story.

halo: reach definitely had the best campaign.

though halo 1 and 2 (3 not so much) had amazing stories they had really predictable and tedious gameplay. In fact I never actually beat halo 1 and 2 on legendary, the reason why is mostly because it was really boring. with halo 1, 2, and 3 it was really trial and error until eventually you make it through the mission. with halo reach like I could try things differently whereas with the other halos I felt like regardless of how good I was or what I did the result would be the same.

I’m hoping 343 learned from reach when it comes to campaigns.

> halo: reach definitely had the best campaign.

Wut

My favourite mission? I goes to The Covenant

It would be awesome if 343i took inspiration from this mission in terms of how much was going on in the mission.

> > > its been so long since I’ve played the halo games that I honestly couldn’t tell you what mission I liked the most.
> > >
> > > however the mission that comes to mind is the halo: reach mission the spyre, or at least I think thats the name of it.
> >
> > I think you mean the mission ‘Tip of the Spear’ which featured the Spire in it. That was probably the only mission I enjoyed in Halo Reach. I hope 343i and Halo 4 can do as good as Halo 1-3 in terms of the quality of the campaign missions and story.
>
> halo: reach definitely had the best campaign.
>
> though halo 1 and 2 (3 not so much) had amazing stories they had really predictable and tedious gameplay. In fact I never actually beat halo 1 and 2 on legendary, the reason why is mostly because it was really boring. with halo 1, 2, and 3 it was really trial and error until eventually you make it through the mission. with halo reach like I could try things differently whereas with the other halos I felt like regardless of how good I was or what I did the result would be the same.
>
> I’m hoping 343 learned from reach when it comes to campaigns.

Really? Huh. I felt that Reach had the most lack-lustre campaign out of all the Halos with it’s nonsensical missions. It was fun, but not as good as previous campaigns have been.

The covenant is definitely in my top 2,

Double scarab battle, spazzing out trying to get iwhbyd, the flood teaming with you…briefly

The Maw!

God, I love that mission with crappy warthog controls.

Why has this been moved? The thread is about how 343i should draw inspiration for Halo 4 from previous Halo missions. Is there a way to talk to a Moderator about this?

> > > > its been so long since I’ve played the halo games that I honestly couldn’t tell you what mission I liked the most.
> > > >
> > > > however the mission that comes to mind is the halo: reach mission the spyre, or at least I think thats the name of it.
> > >
> > > I think you mean the mission ‘Tip of the Spear’ which featured the Spire in it. That was probably the only mission I enjoyed in Halo Reach. I hope 343i and Halo 4 can do as good as Halo 1-3 in terms of the quality of the campaign missions and story.
> >
> > halo: reach definitely had the best campaign.
> >
> > though halo 1 and 2 (3 not so much) had amazing stories they had really predictable and tedious gameplay. In fact I never actually beat halo 1 and 2 on legendary, the reason why is mostly because it was really boring. with halo 1, 2, and 3 it was really trial and error until eventually you make it through the mission. with halo reach like I could try things differently whereas with the other halos I felt like regardless of how good I was or what I did the result would be the same.
> >
> > I’m hoping 343 learned from reach when it comes to campaigns.
>
> Really? Huh. I felt that Reach had the most lack-lustre campaign out of all the Halos with it’s nonsensical missions. It was fun, but not as good as previous campaigns have been.

Sorry. Reach was a spinoff. It truly had nothing on the other campaigns.

> Why has this been moved? The thread is about how 343i should draw inspiration for Halo 4 from previous Halo missions. Is there a way to talk to a Moderator about this?

I moved it out of Halo 4 because it’s more about all the Halo’s with a small focus on Halo 4.

> > Why has this been moved? The thread is about how 343i should draw inspiration for Halo 4 from previous Halo missions. Is there a way to talk to a Moderator about this?
>
> I moved it out of Halo 4 because it’s more about all the Halo’s with a small focus on Halo 4.

Fair enough. It was originally meant to be about Halo 4 but I guess the message got a little muddled.