Fall of Reach Definitive Edition Questions

I’m thinking about buying the “Definitive Edition” of Fall of Reach, but I have some questions about it. Exactly what is added? What has been changed? What are the reasons behind the additions and changes? And finally, does it fix the continuity issues between the original printing and Halo: Reach? (e.g. Cortana already on the Pillar of Autumn in FoR, Halsey already knowing about the Forerunners in Halo: Reach, etc.)

Thanks
-Wiz

The Cortana in Halo Reach was only a part of the actual Cortana which was on PoA

There is no need to fix the canon because they fit together just fine.

1. Cortana was split into two pieces. One went with the Chief and the other stayed with Halsey to decipher the Forerunner information. In the game you take Halsey’s piece to the Autumn so she can be made whole again. The information obtained by Halsey’s piece is what allows her to find Halo.

2. The UNSC has known about the Forerunner since at least 2492 when they found an entire phylum of possible alien taxonomy on Onyx. Confirmed in 2511 when entire Forerunner structures were discovered on the same planet.

As for the book, very minor things are changed in the Definitive Edition. One example would be in the original novel when the Spartans board a Covenant vessel for the first time, they make note that the ship has artificial gravity which the UNSC does not possess. However this has since been retconned so UNSC ships already have artificial gravity, so they don’t mention it or think anything of it when they board it.

In First Strike the Master Chief says he never heard of a Brute but Contact Harvest established that we not only knew about them but they made official First Contact with Humans so that line is removed.

Just minor stuff like that is changed in the actual story. In the back of the book there is an Adjunct section which has bonus features such as Admiral Cole’s interrogation of an Elite, a Letter from Captain Keyes to Admiral N’Singile about how he knows Reach is already under attack before the Autumn leaves, Winter Contingency details etc.

Yeah, for me it’s the extra fiction pieces in the Adjunct sections of the rereleases that are so awesome. Some really great additions to the story in there.

Grim

> There is no need to fix the canon because they fit together just fine.
>
> 1. Cortana was split into two pieces. One went with the Chief and the other stayed with Halsey to decipher the Forerunner information. In the game you take Halsey’s piece to the Autumn so she can be made whole again. The information obtained by Halsey’s piece is what allows her to find Halo.
>
> 2. The UNSC has known about the Forerunner since at least 2492 when they found an entire phylum of possible alien taxonomy on Onyx. Confirmed in 2511 when entire Forerunner structures were discovered on the same planet.
>
> As for the book, very minor things are changed in the Definitive Edition. One example would be in the original novel when the Spartans board a Covenant vessel for the first time, they make note that the ship has artificial gravity which the UNSC does not possess. However this has since been retconned so UNSC ships already have artificial gravity, so they don’t mention it or think anything of it when they board it.
>
> In First Strike the Master Chief says he never heard of a Brute but Contact Harvest established that we not only knew about them but they made official First Contact with Humans so that line is removed.
>
> Just minor stuff like that is changed in the actual story. In the back of the book there is an Adjunct section which has bonus features such as Admiral Cole’s interrogation of an Elite, a Letter from Captain Keyes to Admiral N’Singile about how he knows Reach is already under attack before the Autumn leaves, Winter Contingency details etc.

Thanks for answering my questions, Nihilus. I just ordered the Definitive Editions of both The Fall of Reach and First Strike. After rereading Halsey’s Journal yesterday in an attempt to sort out all this Cortana confusion, I now understand what happened. When I first read it I glazed over some of the details and didn’t catch the fact that Cortana herself was “split.” It’s nice to know that all of FoD is still considered canon.

Though I wish this information was at least mentioned in the Definitive Edition of FoR or Halo: Reach, because both of those are more widely consumed than Halsey’s Journal from the Halo: Reach Limited Edition. Judging by the forum posts and wiki-pages in the majority of other Halo-oriented sites, most fans don’t know that Cortana was “split” and think that Halo: Reach did some partial retconning. This includes people who are interested in the lore and read the books.

I’m looking forward to reading the Adjunct section material, it sounds interesting. As a side question, is it worth picking up the Fall of Reach: Bootcamp comic?

> There is no need to fix the canon because they fit together just fine.
>
> 1. Cortana was split into two pieces. One went with the Chief and the other stayed with Halsey to decipher the Forerunner information. In the game you take Halsey’s piece to the Autumn so she can be made whole again. The information obtained by Halsey’s piece is what allows her to find Halo.
>
> 2. The UNSC has known about the Forerunner since at least 2492 when they found an entire phylum of possible alien taxonomy on Onyx. Confirmed in 2511 when entire Forerunner structures were discovered on the same planet.
>
> As for the book, very minor things are changed in the Definitive Edition. One example would be in the original novel when the Spartans board a Covenant vessel for the first time, they make note that the ship has artificial gravity which the UNSC does not possess. However this has since been retconned so UNSC ships already have artificial gravity, so they don’t mention it or think anything of it when they board it.
>
> In First Strike the Master Chief says he never heard of a Brute but Contact Harvest established that we not only knew about them but they made official First Contact with Humans so that line is removed.
>
> Just minor stuff like that is changed in the actual story. In the back of the book there is an Adjunct section which has bonus features such as Admiral Cole’s interrogation of an Elite, a Letter from Captain Keyes to Admiral N’Singile about how he knows Reach is already under attack before the Autumn leaves, Winter Contingency details etc.

Actually had the same questions, thanks. People were talking about it on The Flood: Off Topic Forum on bungie.net that it was mustered up real quick to cover up canonical errors after Halo: Reach was released. They were talking about the PoA not being on Reach in the original TFoR, which I can’t remember because I’ve only read it once, and it was awhile back. Was this a canonical error?